Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Tae posted:

I have no idea how people with controllers used standard controls to dodge aoe. That whole deal that you go super slow when going backwards is baffling to me.

I hate that poo poo, yeah. I would rather use Legacy Controls and, before 3.4, I would lock onto the enemy to make sure that my attacks continue to land. I am very thankful for the changes since then.

Not being locked on while strafing around an enemy in legacy position used to be a painful DPS loss though.

SirPhoebos posted:

I really want SE to do more Postmoogle quests, because those went a long way towards fleshing out minor characters.

I'd love this too, especially for some of the newer Heavensward characters like Hilda. Characters that honestly deserve more story than what they've been given thus far.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I like Mor Dhona a huge amount, and it's ridiculous to me that it takes so long to get to a really cool and dramatic area.

It's a shame you and other new players can't see how Mor Dhona started out. Revenant's Toll originally began as a small little valley with almost nothing in it. Then, in the 2.x series, Square Enix gradually added more and more to Rowena's business to entice high level players to turn it into a thriving area. I recommend people check out pictures to see how it grew.

Oh, Kelp and Captain Oblivious covered this too, but... yeah, Mor Dhona and Idyllshire are really neat examples of how patching games can add to the overall experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

The good news is you can have a full set of Ironworks in less than a day if you're just rolling through level 50 for the first time.

The other good news is by the time you hit 60 you can get a full set of ironworks for another job type.

The bad news is then you realize you need 6000 poetics for your anima. (Not as bad as realizing you needed 24,000 pre-nerf).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The good news is that it's so incredibly easy to be geared to ilevel 230 which is good enough for 99.9% of the content.

gently caress me when the max ilevel you could buy with the 2nd highest lore was 5 below nidhogg.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The Vampire's Vest makes me want BLU even more so I can play it with a Bravely Default glamour.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

My thanks to the folks in Not Actual Size for dragging me through my first (and uh 12th?) Sephirot EX kills. No birbs but got some dapper as gently caress MNK weapons for glamour and now I look more :sparkles: than ever

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
So i just completed the Monk 60 quest and went to go talk to the various ncps of the class line to see what they had to say now. Unfortunately, i can't find any of them except Erik. Anyone know where I might be able to find Widargelt or has he just disappeared from the game world for now?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

From what I understand TPT has a no spoilers rule, so that is something to think about.

Edit: Also DGKK tends to have the worst tags.

Good tags are important to me.

Is TPT the one more likely to put up with stupid returning player questions? I enjoyed my time in PBC back when I played but if it's mostly experienced players there I don't want to bug them with stupid questions they've all answered a thousand times.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

As a side note, I'm intensely disappointed about this game's ability to allow me cosplay as a bloodborne character. Closest thing to the saw cleaver I could find was Ifrit's swords and there weren't any plain black hoods that weren't part of a chest piece. Had to settle for pretending my bubble chocolates were beast blood pellets.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Xarbala posted:

The mobs in HW are tuned assuming you've had months to gear up in i120+ Ironworks gear, which was indeed a mistake because it was something I noticed going in. As I was not one of those players who was bedecked in Ironworks blues.

If you haven't gotten someone else to craft leveling gear for you, there's always the vendors at Ishgard. The NQ vendor stuff isn't better than dungeon drops of comparable level but, for example, the lvl56 HQ equivalent, like what you get from the quests and sidequests, will easily outpower the lvl55 greens you might have gotten from the nearest leveling/story dungeon.

If you're still at like i50 going into HW then you'll really, really want to hit the vendors in Ishgard. And it's something I feel should be written out in big bold letters somewhere in the game.

Even with ironworks gear the poo poo is spongy as hell. I got a full crafted set and purchased a weapon and ttk was still in a really bad spot compared to prior content.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Tae posted:

If there was a TP potion that restored like 100, would people buy it?

If it shared a CD with stat potions gently caress no.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Evil Fluffy posted:

If it shared a CD with stat potions gently caress no.

Monk still might, being able to convert sks into extra GCDs represents a larger gain for them compared to just about anyone else.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Rhymenoserous posted:

Even with ironworks gear the poo poo is spongy as hell. I got a full crafted set and purchased a weapon and ttk was still in a really bad spot compared to prior content.

Then you're in a better spot than I was going in. That said, stuff like FATEs are never going to stop feeling like a slog and most of your leveling will be done in the appropriate MSQ dungeons until you get access to the daily Centurio hunting logs and HW beast tribe quests, and if you're DPS you'll still be doing those while you're waiting on your queues. The Centurio hunts also get you Cent seals which is used to buy i200 stuff when you hit 60, and it's a shame they're job-artifact and not role-based gear.

FATE grinding basically stops being worth it by the time you leave Mor Dhona, that was the last zone where ttk to xp earned was really worth it. Non-large scale leves also stop being worth it in terms of time spent. Though as far as Large Scale Leves go burning ten leve allowances to get even a decent xp haul is admittedly a bit much.

Palace of the Dead might not be worth it for XP alone but at least you can get fabulous prizes, some of which can sell for a decent amount. Like materia. And if you just gun through while running the lower levels, which is what most pubbies do, you can clear a ten-floor set in around fifteen minutes.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

Not pictured: the DPS being emergency healed.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Witches Broom is like £6.20 on the cash shop.

That's kinda a lot for me but fuuuuck I might have to

e: £6.90

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Oct 20, 2016

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Since I'm about to hit my first 60 crafter, how do I gear it up? What should I know about 60 crafting? All my other crafters are around 54-55 so I should have most of the cross-class skills that I need.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

vOv posted:

Since I'm about to hit my first 60 crafter, how do I gear it up? What should I know about 60 crafting? All my other crafters are around 54-55 so I should have most of the cross-class skills that I need.

Get an Ironworks set from someone who already geared up their stuff. I was asked to provide the lore mats (590 Lore total), Glass Fibers (17 needed, but 18 actual since thee Luminous Fibers are crafted in groups of 3), Camphorwood Branches (120), and Aqueous Whetstones (45, some small amount of company seals) for this, but I'm not on Excalibur with the rest of the goons.

Cirina fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Oct 20, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

vOv posted:

Level everything else up to 60 for cross class skills. The quickest way to gear up is to just get someone to craft ironworks gear for you. Learn and memorize Rath's rotation because you're going to be using it a lot.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Xarbala posted:

The mobs in HW are tuned assuming you've had months to gear up in i120+ Ironworks gear, which was indeed a mistake because it was something I noticed going in. As I was not one of those players who was bedecked in Ironworks blues.

I was in Ironworks gear as well and the first thing I noticed on hitting Ishgard was just how much longer everything took to die, except I thought it was just me who thought that.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Chucat posted:

I was in Ironworks gear as well and the first thing I noticed on hitting Ishgard was just how much longer everything took to die, except I thought it was just me who thought that.

I played PLD as my first HW character and I am very thankful I play sparingly and used all those LLDR bonuses to get to 60. I also noticed that a lot of the MSQ fights were trivial if done as a tank (or prob healer) but as DPS, I'd often get my rear end beat by random mooks.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I got into Heavensward content a month or two back and it was a ludicrous jump in difficulty as a Bard even with some Ironworks/Ishgard gear. ARR enemies were completely trivial while even stuff in the western highlands was taking 30+s to die and dealing half my health in damage. It wasn't really lethal, but adds often put me worryingly close and it was definitely a tedious slog to killstuff. It really only started to even out in the late 50s. Hopefully Stormblood won't be quite as silly.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It'd be pretty annoying if everything in Ala Mhigo is as much of a jump in chuftiness. To go in with a full set of scripture gear and take a full minute to kill a stray dog.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

HW expects you to be in gear that's mostly the same or close to ilvl as the latest levelling dungeon. Dailies will own you if you're in Ironworks, but dungeons don't really drop enough loot to gear up. No reason for each boss to be so stingy with drops nowadays. If you run say, The Vault, while not synced, there's no reason the game shouldn't give you at least two drops you can use.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Brainamp posted:

As a side note, I'm intensely disappointed about this game's ability to allow me cosplay as a bloodborne character. Closest thing to the saw cleaver I could find was Ifrit's swords and there weren't any plain black hoods that weren't part of a chest piece. Had to settle for pretending my bubble chocolates were beast blood pellets.

Level MCH! Problem solved!

If I remember, i'll post my Bloodborne cosplay when I get home after work.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Still playing catchup but, you know you can usually back out of a pre-Trial room and go idle or gamble somewhere else while in queue?

I think, just this once, for the Final Steps of Faith I'll stick around and wait

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Xarbala posted:

Still playing catchup but, you know you can usually back out of a pre-Trial room and go idle or gamble somewhere else while in queue?

I think, just this once, for the Final Steps of Faith I'll stick around and wait

I think most people do that, too. It's a great pre-fight room with great music.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

It really is.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I love that remix of the classic FF1 battle theme that you hear in the Hall of the Novice.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

I love that remix of the classic FF1 battle theme that you hear in the Hall of the Novice.

You mean this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn-fn2NhlPs

It's from FFII (aka the one nobody ever played because it wasn't properly localized til a few years ago). I love when they use older music. Wait til you get the Magitek mount!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kelp Me! posted:

You mean this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn-fn2NhlPs

It's from FFII (aka the one nobody ever played because it wasn't properly localized til a few years ago). I love when they use older music. Wait til you get the Magitek mount!

That battle theme was the theme/was remixed to be the battle theme for FF1-6 and 9.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Lemon-Lime posted:

Nothing worse than having that amazing lead-up, then learning you're five ilevels off from being able to actually do the trial.

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Level MCH! Problem solved!

If I remember, i'll post my Bloodborne cosplay when I get home after work.

What self-respecting hunter uses a gun with their right hand? :v:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

That battle theme was the theme/was remixed to be the battle theme for FF1-6 and 9.

What do you mean? I know thematically the old games had similar battle themes, but this one is pretty much identical to the original II battle music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E24gjYdwQg0

e: my old FF music safari has just taught me that the boss them from the Crystal Tower raids, which featured bosses from FFIII, is in fact the boss music from FFIII:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EVIF1Udqr0

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 20, 2016

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Music is one thing that the game does extremely well and it gets better and more diverse as time goes on. I've legit had the ARR and Heavensward final battle songs playing this morning just to listen to them.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I just about bricked myself when I heard Battle to the Death from FF6 during Sephirot.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I just about bricked myself when I heard Battle to the Death from FF6 during Sephirot.

:same:

Also the first time I got in the Magitek armor mount

Also we get 2 versions of Battle on the Big Bridge which rules

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Battle on the Big Bridge is in my top 5 FF songs but I was expecting it so it didn't shock me as much.

The Decisive Battle from the Uncle Ulty fight isn't an Orc roll at this time is it?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

No joke, the FF6 references are one of the reasons I was drawn back. That, and this game's impeccable soundtrack.

And Ozma from FF9 is already in, right? I think I vaguely remember that.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah, Ozma is a boss in Weeping City

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This is definitely the only MMORPG where I intentionally crank up the in-game music while playing because it's just so drat good.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Harrow posted:

This is definitely the only MMORPG where I intentionally crank up the in-game music while playing because it's just so drat good.

forward and back and then forward and back and then go forward and back, then put one foot forward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Xarbala posted:

Palace of the Dead might not be worth it for XP alone but at least you can get fabulous prizes, some of which can sell for a decent amount. Like materia. And if you just gun through while running the lower levels, which is what most pubbies do, you can clear a ten-floor set in around fifteen minutes.

some doofus mathed it out on reddit a while ago, potd 1-30 with pubs is fastest exp gain through matched party if you keep resetting, wheres 1-40 gets better with friends, assuming your friends don't suck

40-50 is too random in how long it takes to clear that its not worth doing unless you need to max out your weapon/armor like right now

• Locked thread