Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Perhaps a hamster posted:

I thought I would miss her and was very surprise to realise that I don't. And that's not even a dig at Lange, I like her a lot and she was definitely one of my favourite parts of the seasons she was in, it's just that her absence allowed the rest of the brilliant cast to shine, both old-timers and newcomers.

Freak Show is the only AHS season I still haven't watched, because Coven burned me out just that much. I still think it could be edited into a fun sketch show of mini stories, but large parts of it would definitely have to be axed. Doesn't help that it had the most low points cast wise as well, as there were very few moments where I thought Emma Roberts' character worked, Gabourey Sidibe was cringey, Stevie Nicks cameo was WTF and not in a good way, and Taissa Farmiga was given nothing to do either.

Hotel was definitely much campier than the first two seasons, and you had to at least not mind the camp, Lady Gaga, pretty boys and glam fashion to enjoy it to its fullest, but luckily for me I do enjoy those things, so I liked Hotel almost as much as the first season, although the overall story wasn't as cohesive.

Would still rank the whole thing as Asylum > Murder House/Hotel >>>>>>> Coven. Should probably at some point binge through Freak Show for completion's sake though, if only 'cause it seems to be the season heaviest on Finn Wittrock, who's pretty brilliant.

Lange is a great actress, and our Lange fatigue is mostly from Murphy's inability to write a new part for her to play, always keeping her in the same loop. Hotel also marks a point were Peters got out of a similar loop of always playing the brooding misunderstood young male lead and instead letting him fire on all sylinders as a character actor.

I still think the Stevie Nicks reference would have been quite funny without the cameo. Misty's conviction that Nicks was a powerful witch and that her songs had magical power would have been much funnier if it never was confirmed wether she was a witch or not.

i agree that Hotel was much stronger than Coven/Freak Show, as long as you flip your brain into AHS mode, rouge your nipples and embrace the camp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I actually couldn't get enough of Lange playing the same role over and over (because I really like that role), but I think the bigger problem is that the show is at its best as a true ensemble, and when she was on the show they always kind of treated her as the main character and everyone else as support, which got kind of exhausting. I would definitely love a cameo, but unfortunately it'll be spoiled months in advance knowing this crew.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

fullroundaction posted:

I actually couldn't get enough of Lange playing the same role over and over (because I really like that role), but I think the bigger problem is that the show is at its best as a true ensemble, and when she was on the show they always kind of treated her as the main character and everyone else as support, which got kind of exhausting. I would definitely love a cameo, but unfortunately it'll be spoiled months in advance knowing this crew.

Yep, I loved her in the same role too, in some ways. I miss her but I would still be happy with a cameo or a small role. I thought i read something about her being in this season, I'm not sure. Maybe just some random gossip or something.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

fullroundaction posted:

I dunno, they did a good job keeping the entire theme of the show and whatever this week's twist is under wraps. They didn't even reveal who Evan Peters would be playing as everyone clamored for him.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ryan Murphy revealed some more information.

* Scáthach is the original Supreme of the coven from season 3.

* Lady Gaga was only available for a limited time due to her new album, so they plan on exploring her character more in future seasons.

* Future seasons will incorporate the events and characters from Coven, including a potential return to see how the coven is doing.

* Finn Wittrock is playing "his most hosed-up character yet" in Roanoke.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

chitoryu12 posted:

* Future seasons will incorporate the events and characters from Coven, including a potential return to see how the coven is doing.

The fat black witch died. Like there were anymore characters from season 3.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also some more info.

Beginning this week, “Something happens where half the cast is revealed to be doing something completely different than you’ve seen in the first five [episodes],” Murphy revealed, adding, “You realize what you’ve been watching with some of the characters is not [who] they are. [The actors] had to do a mad scramble to find new voices and accents. It is a big turn. It’s the biggest plot twist we’ve ever done with the show. And there’s a startling announcement in Act 3 that resets the season up until Episode 10.”

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sounds pretty cool, but I'm still laughing at Ryan Murphy just outlining what's happening next in the season like that in great detail to the press.

Like he has a neat idea, and he's so proud of it that he just can't keep his mouth shut for a little longer.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

King Vidiot posted:

Freak Show had its moments, I guess, but I think we can all agree that Coven was rock-bottom awful.
Coven is my favorite season. Asylum least favorite. Well, freak show and hotel have some characters and parts I enjoy far more than coven. I don't remember how I'd rate S1 either but it was decent.

Although if I had to list seasons by objective quality Coven would not be #1 and Asylum would be far from last. Asylum was just boring as heck and didn't do anything for me.

I watched s1-s3 over a few day period and not as they aired. Maybe that's why my opinion is a little different? The other reason could be I've never been scared or anything in response to AHS, so a very not scary witch season doesn't actually change the show much at all for me.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 19, 2016

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Coven is arguably the worst season, but it's pretty obvious why Murphy wants to revisit it so much.

As for this big twist, maybe the reenactment isn't one at all, but what actually happened, save for the happy ending. The family was actually killed/incorporated into the colony. The camera crew seen in the preview were the first visitors, looking to investigate the house for a haunting show. They get kidnapped and forced to produce "My Roanoke Nightmare," with people that look like the family, in order to generate interest about the house. The reboot could be following the people who come to the house as a result of the fake TV show, being lured in by the colony.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned a movie with a similar premise to this season, but with the twist that the talking heads (or the dramatic reenactors, I forget which) are being killed off for real. Anyone know which movie that is? Sounds pretty cool.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

Khorne posted:

Coven is my favorite season. Asylum least favorite. Well, freak show and hotel have some characters and parts I enjoy far more than coven.

While I respect the opinion, I'm not even sure where to begin arguing that this is exactly the opposite of correct.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Coven is just pure, unadulterated camp. It has a great cast doing things they do best. poo poo story and a lot of dumb moments.

But it's fun. Really fun. Especially on a rewatch when you know not to get all tied up about the story.

I'd say that's worth something.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

quote:

* Finn Wittrock is playing "his most hosed-up character yet" in Roanoke.
Yes! I was hoping he shows up this season.

chitoryu12 posted:

Ryan Murphy revealed some more information.
Now that's just cruel though, why?? Who asked for this??

Khorne posted:

Coven is my favorite season.
Oh. Well at least you're gonna be happy then.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Khorne posted:

I watched s1-s3 over a few day period and not as they aired. Maybe that's why my opinion is a little different?

I think this may be a huge contributing factor to why so many people love S1/S2, and the rest are a mixed bag. I jumped in late and was able to binge all of Murder House and most of Asylum before I caught up, and for me those are objectively the best seasons and the rest I could take or leave. I assume there are a bunch of people who jumped in around when I did as well.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

Tenzarin posted:

The fat black witch died. Like there were anymore characters from season 3.

If the revisits are anything like Coven itself, she'll pop back up alive again in the second episode with minimal explanation, before dying/coming back 3 more times.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

What's a good place to stream the episode tonight? I no longer have my Sling subscription, so I've had to watch the last few episodes late when they came on Amazon.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

chitoryu12 posted:

Also some more info.

Beginning this week, “Something happens where half the cast is revealed to be doing something completely different than you’ve seen in the first five [episodes],” Murphy revealed, adding, “You realize what you’ve been watching with some of the characters is not [who] they are. [The actors] had to do a mad scramble to find new voices and accents. It is a big turn. It’s the biggest plot twist we’ve ever done with the show. And there’s a startling announcement in Act 3 that resets the season up until Episode 10.”

Yeah, I'd say that's one way to put it. :stare: This is getting interesting, even though it's kind of lining up with some of the early predictions.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
I figured this episode would play out like this, but its still full of surprises.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

DocBubonic posted:

I figured this episode would play out like this, but its still full of surprises.

Director dude is going to die the worst death :smug:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

DarklyDreaming posted:

He's great for this scenario, but it will be a nice payoff for such a douchey character.

Edit: That shot of the figure in the distance there was probably the first genuinely creepy thing I've seen on AHS in several seasons. And also the first time in a long time that a horror character has done something so smart by just driving on by. Shame about pigotaur.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 20, 2016

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I knew that scare in the car was coming but I still jumped

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

DarklyDreaming posted:

There's been some pretty bad deaths so far. Not sure what they could do to top it.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

DocBubonic posted:

There's been some pretty bad deaths so far. Not sure what they could do to top it.

Drilldo demon is going to be really tough to beat.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 20, 2016

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
So many actor jokes in this

The 47 Reagans
Mar 14, 2010
Finally, Sarah Paulson is robbing the cradle instead of being the cradle that's robbed

e: well that puts a focus on things

The 47 Reagans fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 20, 2016

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Well, there's the twist, I suppose. Also, Sarah Paulson with a British accent. :allears:

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Kimmalah posted:

Drilldo demon is going to be really tough to beat.

The drawn and quartering was a hell of a thing. I thought it was worse than the Drilldo demon, but that's just me.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

DocBubonic posted:

The drawn and quartering was a hell of a thing. I thought it was worse than the Drilldo demon, but that's just me.

I missed the last couple of episodes (trying to catch up soon) so I haven't seen that one. You could very well be right!

boz
Oct 16, 2005
This was a great episode and a great turning point for the season.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I lost faith in this series years ago and this is probably my favorite episode of any season. I can't believe how much fun it all was, and all of the bullshit paid off*.

And Angela Bassett directed holy poo poo. How is she so hot and also 58 :psyduck:

*I don't fully buy the real characters motivations for going back, at least the way they were presented. But I'm going to let it slide since everything else was so entertaining.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

fullroundaction posted:

*I don't fully buy the real characters motivations for going back, at least the way they were presented. But I'm going to let it slide since everything else was so entertaining.

The only thing I don't buy is them being surprised that it was the blood moon. That seems like something they'd know just by reflex

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

DarklyDreaming posted:

The only thing I don't buy is them being surprised that it was the blood moon. That seems like something they'd know just by reflex

The real people seemed to be fully aware it was a blood moon, and went anyway. The actors thought it was all bullshit though.

Not really sure what Ryan Murphy was so insanely proud of himself over though. Like don't get me wrong, it was a good episode in a string a good episodes, but literally nothing in the episode was a surprise. It is exactly what was obviously going to happen since the first minute of the season.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Welp, it's not Murde House anymore :(

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Oh whatever, Murphy.

That's what I said out loud at least six times during this. Doing better than Sunday Night Football and The Walking Dead? Speaking of bravado, where's those witches that revealed themselves to the world only for nobody to care? Wanting to go back to a literal murder house to be close to your ex who won't talk to you? The camp is back and stronger than ever.

Though I have to admit, in a way, he's covered all the bases for all the stupid behavior. The actors think production is messing with them, and some of it probably will be. Production will watch it all go down and think they're responsible for it due to lack of communication. They have a crazy peer who conveniently lives nearby and is ready to slaughter them all regardless of any ghosts. And there are actual ghosts, so they can do whatever they want.

The twist though, what was it supposed to be? That they all died? That it was really real? That's so obvious it can't even be considered a guess, it's a given.

I'm getting very strong Coven vibes off this whole thing. Possibly from being burned so many times before. Possibly from the tone going from the most serious it's been in years to extremely goofy once again.

But it's really not a bad angle to go with and, as campy as the actors are, they aren't offensively bad. Red-haired pussy grabber Peters, I mean, in a lot of ways, that's AHS in a character.

OmegaBR fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 20, 2016

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
So I guess we're supposed to speculate who the survivor is. My initial, obvious thought is Bates, but she's not really part of the production per se, and it'd be too obvious. I'm hoping it's a setup for something actually clever since we know episode 10 reboots the season (or whatever).

My actual guess I suppose is Rabe's husband (can't remember his name) since he's currently the only innocent / person without a glaring character flaw.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
This was a really good episode in a way that I didn't realize this show could still accomplish.

I didn't care for them telling us everyone was going to die though.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

fullroundaction posted:

So I guess we're supposed to speculate who the survivor is. My initial, obvious thought is Bates, but she's not really part of the production per se, and it'd be too obvious. I'm hoping it's a setup for something actually clever since we know episode 10 reboots the season (or whatever).

My actual guess I suppose is Rabe's husband (can't remember his name) since he's currently the only innocent / person without a glaring character flaw.

If it's as obvious as this so-called twist, then it'll probably be the actual Shelby. Possibly Lee, who will continue to be labeled a murderer.

If episode 10 has a "twist" as well, I really, really hope it's not Ryan Murphy and crew watching this story and planning a season of American Horror Story around it.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

AHS: [builds a hype train on what evan peters' character will be]

AHS: [kills in 2 episode]

Me: nice

i did enjoy how almost every dumbass inconsistency in the first 5 episodes is addressed though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

If I had to guess, Matt is planning to make a deal with Scathach to allow Lee to survive so she can get exonerated by the show and he ends up dying/disappearing and possibly joining/replacing The Butcher. Oh yeah, he is probably fine with leading everyone else to their deaths, especially the guy who had an affair with his wife.

• Locked thread