Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Giving Unown a Kanto/Johto/Whatever form where it becomes Kanji would be rad just saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

let unown be the only pokemon to get 4 different types of hidden power, and give it an ability that makes it stronger when there are multiple unown on your team.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
I hope the next game is set in pkmn scandinavia, or somewhere in pkmn africa.

Also is it worth getting a new 3ds or an old 3ds? im still stuck with regular ds :(

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Scratch that, give me the ability to construct an Unown 'Word Forme' where I can pick 4 Unown to combine into one pokemon that get the hidden power of each.

Also they spell out the word and get bonus stats so they're kinda good.

Zombiepop posted:

I hope the next game is set in pkmn scandinavia, or somewhere in pkmn africa.

Also is it worth getting a new 3ds or an old 3ds? im still stuck with regular ds :(

New 3DS is worth it if you ever want to play Xenoblade or some of the games that are enhanced by it like Monster Hunter.

Old 3DS is fine if you just want to play like, Pokemon and stuff.

2DS is super cheap and has a poo poo form factor but some people swear by it. Works the same as the regular 3DS>

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
ah yeah I will probably just play pokemon with it. Thanks!

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
From this interview it sounds like they're hoping z-moves will be a more universal buff, but hopefully there's enough move-set/stat changes to go around too. Sounds like there will be just judging by the confirmed paralyze wave change and the Mega-Khan change.

Masuda posted:

"Each time we make a new game, we think of particular theme and of particular elements that would work well with that game," Masuda replied when asked if Mega Evolution might return. "This time we have our Z-moves [but] if a game comes up in future that we think [Mega Evolutions] would work really well with, certainly we'll look into it... But for the minute we don't have any particular plans."

Also, rest in pieces mega-evos.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
Will there not even be mega stones to find in Alola? Do we have to trade them up? Oh wait we cant with Bank so there must be stones in Alola then.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Space T Rex posted:

Will there not even be mega stones to find in Alola? Do we have to trade them up? Oh wait we cant with Bank so there must be stones in Alola then.

iirc you can mega evolve with the z-ring and z-crystal thing instead

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Space T Rex posted:

Yeah, we've seen scenes of Dexio and Sina upgrading your Z-Bracelet to work with mega-evolution and they've confirmed its in so the stones will definitely be in Alola somewhere.

Probably just postgame like the bulk of them in X/Y.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Space T Rex posted:

They're all post-game and I can only assume all of them will be available somehow, even if it's just through a stone salesman or something.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Kinda crazy that despite Mega forms being so important to Gen 6 overall, they're almost an afterthought in Gen 7. I hope more Gen 5 and 6 Pokés get Mega forms than just Audino and Diancie, at least. And there's still a lot of Gen 1-4 Pokémon who could really use some love.

I hope that they have another round of small stat buffs like what they did with Raichu, Nidoking/queen, etc. Just a few more stat points to stay somewhat relevant with the power creep.

Is CoroCoro monthly? I just really want some new information on at least the types of the final starter evolutions, and the next official release of information isn't for another week.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 20, 2016

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Wasn't it a mega stone shop or something.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Dexio and Sina will just give you a box that has all of them.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Reinanigans posted:

Kinda crazy that despite Mega forms being so important to Gen 6 overall, they're almost an afterthought in Gen 7. I hope more Gen 5 and 6 Pokés get Mega forms than just Audino and Diancie, at least. And there's still a lot of Gen 1-4 Pokémon who could really use some love.

I hope that they have another round of small stat buffs like what they did with Raichu, Nidoking/queen, etc. Just a few more stat points to stay somewhat relevant with the power creep.

Is CoroCoro monthly? I just really want some new information on at least the types of the final starter evolutions, and the next official release of information isn't for another week.

Yeah, Corocoro is monthly. We'll get one more issue right before release, but since by right before I mean "the week of" I doubt it would have any significant info. Or any game info at all.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
I really don't mind that they're not doing anything new with megas, having them all in one game is all i ever wanted. They got awkwardly spit by x/y and oras before.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Wonder if they had any megas planned for Z that got shelved? Most likely they got shifted into ORAS.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i've been busy with training at my new job, so what is all the stuff i need to do and when in the sun/moon demo? is there any stuff that i need to do before it goes away?

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i have a horsea with sniper and ive decided that kingdra should be able to learn frost breath.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Those of you folks who are big into VGC and competitive pokes:

- Any good podcasts on VGC/pokemon you'd recommend?

- Is there a Pokemon who might have been "on the bubble" but might now find a competitive spot now that they have one move (in a Z-Move) that could score a KO? Because I reckon if Z-Moves are allowed in VGC I imagine a large part of the strategy meta is going to be baiting your opponent's Z-Move, yeah?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kelp Plankton posted:

i've been busy with training at my new job, so what is all the stuff i need to do and when in the sun/moon demo? is there any stuff that i need to do before it goes away?

I think anything that goes away is all based on when you start the demo. Like the day after and only the day after a guy will give you 10 Pretty Wings. There's also a few people you need to talk after 5, 12 I think, 18, and 24 days that you find around the town.

I'm gonna make a prediction and say the the Greninja will be the most substantial thing in the demo with the time based stuff being some items like the ORAS demo.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

jarbv posted:

I want one of these pokemong "professors" and scientists to stop making artificial pokemon and hurry up with invent a time capsule machine so i can go through and redo all my pokemon's moves and stats

Time travel has existed since gen 2, please read a book sometime???

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Waffles Inc. posted:

- Is there a Pokemon who might have been "on the bubble" but might now find a competitive spot now that they have one move (in a Z-Move) that could score a KO? Because I reckon if Z-Moves are allowed in VGC I imagine a large part of the strategy meta is going to be baiting your opponent's Z-Move, yeah?

no one is going to know this until the games are out.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

sharrrk posted:

i have a horsea with sniper and ive decided that kingdra should be able to learn frost breath.

Hell, when you're right, you're right.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Wonder if they had any megas planned for Z that got shelved? Most likely they got shifted into ORAS.

Sugimori had plans for Mega Flygon but got artist's block. That's actually what happened.

Blaine the Train
Aug 18, 2006
Choo choo, pardner.

Supremezero posted:

Wasn't it a mega stone shop or something.

They showed off a screen with a list of Mega Stones that had BP amounts next to them.

So get ready to grind that Battle Frontier!!!!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Blaine the Train posted:

They showed off a screen with a list of Mega Stones that had BP amounts next to them.

So get ready to grind that Battle Frontier!!!!

Or just save up Pokemiles now in the bank and blow em all then.

4 months with lots of pokemon will earn you a shitload of free BP.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
We don't know enough about z-moves to make any fact-based predictions on them, but I imagine they'll end up a lot like megas as far as balance goes: they'll make neglected things better but they'll also make the already-better things even-better too so it'll be largely a wash.

At the very least z-moves might change up/widen the variety of moves different common pokemon could be slotting which would in its own way mess with the balance a bit and make the game more interesting. Or they'll ruin it entirely when somebody figures it how to build a 3v3 team with good defensive pokemon able to 1-shot most of their threats with a particular z-move.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I'm sure the totem fight slowdown issues will be fixed for the NX version.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Bongo Bill posted:

I hope that Unown can use the Z-Crystal that matches its Hidden Power type.

I hope the game isn't sure and breaks if you try.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

First Sun/Moon commercial I saw

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Waffles Inc. posted:

Because I reckon if Z-Moves are allowed in VGC I imagine a large part of the strategy meta is going to be baiting your opponent's Z-Move, yeah?

i doubt anyone is going to give up a move slot and an item slot in a protect heavy format where most monsters effectively only have three move slots to begin with. unless one of the z-moves is geomancy

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
It's hard to say whether protect will work on z-moves or whether protect will work at all with the new priority denial stuff. You're also most likely not "giving up" a move slot. I also wouldn't be surprised if some of the z-moves did come with stage increases.

I wouldn't be surprised if protect didn't work on z-moves and there's a new "protect" that does and is limited to certain pokemon. Or a new ability that allows protect to work on z-moves. It's anybody's guess at this point.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

I meant to quote this earlier. I love my burly wrestle-cat son.

Shame on this millennial trash if he didn't suffer through generations 3, 4, and 6 with the rest of us.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 20, 2016

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

oddium posted:

i doubt anyone is going to give up a move slot and an item slot in a protect heavy format where most monsters effectively only have three move slots to begin with. unless one of the z-moves is geomancy

Z-moves don't take up a move slot though. They get better the higher the base power of the move, but as long as you have the correct Z-stone equipped and a move of the same type you can use them.

So like assuming you're running at least one attacking move they're an option.

Also they might not all be nukes. Eevee's unique is a huge self-buff so we should probably wait to see what the rest are before we write them off.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Downloading the demo. How long is it?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

RC Cola posted:

Downloading the demo. How long is it?

40 minutes to a hour at best

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

z moves can only be used once per battle. if you don't use it, you're wasting an item slot. if you do use it, you're down to three moves and have a good chance of hitting a protect or a follow me. they are going to be blocked by protect and protect is not going to be negated by any priority negating abilities. dattebayo

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

oddium posted:

z moves can only be used once per battle. if you don't use it, you're wasting an item slot. if you do use it, you're down to three moves and have a good chance of hitting a protect or a follow me. they are going to be blocked by protect and protect is not going to be negated by any priority negating abilities. dattebayo

Why would you be down to three moves? It's not like Z-Moves overwrite one of your moves permanently. So long as you don't have one move only to serve for your Z-Move, you still have four, you only lost your item slot (which is big in and of itself).

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

oh i read serebii wrong i think. anyway using an item slot to get hyper beam isn't very good. but getting geomancy would be. cheers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
175 power basically lets you punch through a lot of poo poo that you otherwise couldnt and at worst gives you some very strong option selects ("i'm going to throw this 175 power move which was only resisted by the two KO'd mons on my opponents team so something is dying either way"). i dunno though we'll have to see what they all are, hopefully there's more like the eevee one which provide buffs or defensive benefits