Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Possibly but not likely? A few characters did survive the end of it all by removing themselves from reality (Loki and Silver Surfer) so depending on what those realities were anchored to they may have survived. The negative zone / annihilation wave was one of the region in Battleworld.

How does Spider-Gwen's universe fit in? I know it's connected to the 616 cause Spider-Women crossed over between the two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It was remade with no continuity loss.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Possibly but not likely? A few characters did survive the end of it all by removing themselves from reality (Loki and Silver Surfer) so depending on what those realities were anchored to they may have survived. The negative zone / annihilation wave was one of the region in Battleworld.

Reminds me of the Earth X version of Mephisto, where they suggest he miiiight be the only one in the whole multiverse, where he manipulates things on the reg to create lots of alternate realities to jump around in.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Choco1980 posted:

Reminds me of the Earth X version of Mephisto, where they suggest he miiiight be the only one in the whole multiverse, where he manipulates things on the reg to create lots of alternate realities to jump around in.

Nightcrawler. Oh wait thats Belasco

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

There's...a lot wrong with the Earth X universe. Lots of interesting ideas though. Also I love how its history has it branch off from the 616 right about when the Handbooks to the Marvel Universe were first published, and very few characters introduced after that are brought up. And most that are are killed off offscreen.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
I loved Earth X, but avoided Universe and Paradise, I heard those were positively terrible.

e: loving hell, the wiki synopsis are awful

BetterToRuleInHell fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 20, 2016

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The whole Earth X concept in general is just bizarre to me. I'm not sure what Marvel was hoping to happen long-term with that project.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The first half of Universe X is okay, but it quickly goes downhill. Paradise X was awful the whole way through.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

I did like how a lot of the ideas in Earth X kind of diffused into the next decade and a half of comics though.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

mind the walrus posted:

The whole Earth X concept in general is just bizarre to me. I'm not sure what Marvel was hoping to happen long-term with that project.

They wanted their Kingdom Come.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I guess. I always considered Marvels their Kingdom Come so to speak, in the sense that Kingdom Come was the sunnier, more conservative company going Grimdark and Marvels was the more tinted company going Uplifting.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Kingdom Come was rallying against grimdark, though.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The best post-Earth X thing was the Spidey one-shot where Peter Parker was stuck in a fantasy-induced coma. Mayday Parker went into his head to bring him back, but then had an emotional breakdown upon finding out that in Peter's fantasy world, his successor was a son he had with Gwen.

"Why did you do this to us?" :smith:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Badass panels: Batman tussling with Bronze Tiger in today's Batman #9:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

WickedHate posted:

Kingdom Come was rallying against grimdark, though.

Yeah, I'm not sure how you can read Kingdom Come as anything other than Mark Waid and Alex Ross telling the 1990s as a whole to gently caress off.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Gavok posted:

The best post-Earth X thing was the Spidey one-shot where Peter Parker was stuck in a fantasy-induced coma. Mayday Parker went into his head to bring him back, but then had an emotional breakdown upon finding out that in Peter's fantasy world, his successor was a son he had with Gwen.

"Why did you do this to us?" :smith:

I think the best post-Earth-X thing was the one-shot "Beasts", where Beast, Storm, and Black Panther are trying to lead the Wakandans to the Savage Land (on foot because of course they are) which means crossing through the Antarctic. Along the way on top of the weather and starvation, they have to start fending off attacks by groups of Wendigos, that seem to be increasing in number. Eventually McCoy figures out what's really going on with all the Wendigos--Maddox, lost and starving, ate one of himself, fulfilling the requirements for the Native American curse.

On a lighter note, and bringing it back to Petey, I loved the moment when Spider-Girl gets brought in by X-51, and Venom immediately fights her, and Pete just watches, and others are like "uh, aren't you going to stop them?" and he's all "nah, I've been around too long, I know exactly how this is going. 'I won't let you hurt my father!' 'YOUR father, but he's--you're--' 'you know, I've always wanted a twin sister!' 'Me too!" and then I have ANOTHER mouth to feed in my already too small apartment!" And that's exactly what happens.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
This version of Peter Parker sounds like kind of an rear end in a top hat.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

purple death ray posted:

Badass panels: Batman tussling with Bronze Tiger in today's Batman #9:

that is dope and i love it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

This version of Peter Parker sounds like kind of an rear end in a top hat.

It's no different than our Peter Parker who in his perfect fantasy universe in HoM was married to Gwen Stacy and who sold his marriage to the devil.

Frankly "had a bad dream world" >>>> "literally selling your marriage to evil."

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ImpAtom posted:

It's no different than our Peter Parker who in his perfect fantasy universe in HoM was married to Gwen Stacy and who sold his marriage to the devil.

Frankly "had a bad dream world" >>>> "literally selling your marriage to evil."

Wasn't HOM Peter also the green goblin or something.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Wasn't HOM Peter also the green goblin or something.

Yeah, the actual House of M Spider-man comic was dumb. But in the main book he's just married to Gwen Stacy and can not handle having the memories of that life when he goes back to normal.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Wasn't there also in-universe speculation that HoM Peter was having an affair with Mary Jane?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The point of Gwen Stacy in Peter's perfect fantasy worlds isn't that he'd rather be with Gwen instead of MJ, but that his greatest failure(not saving Gwen) didn't happen.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

WickedHate posted:

The point of Gwen Stacy in Peter's perfect fantasy worlds isn't that he'd rather be with Gwen instead of MJ, but that his greatest failure(not saving Gwen) didn't happen.

Second greatest, surely?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Technically not saving Uncle Ben wouldn't count, because without Ben pushing up daisies, he wouldn't be Spider-Man.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Technically not saving Uncle Ben wouldn't count, because without Ben pushing up daisies, he wouldn't be Spider-Man.

That reminds me of an old Alan Scott story, where he's taken back in time and has a chance to prevent Martha and Thomas Wayne's death, he debates whether or not it would be worth basically making Batman never exist before deciding that as a hero he has to do what's right and intervening.

Said intervention inspired Bruce to become Batman anyway, so as to help people in danger just like Alan did.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Onmi posted:

Said intervention inspired Bruce to become Batman anyway, so as to help people in danger just like Alan did.

That's mighty loving convenient.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

WickedHate posted:

I think the actual point was he was married to MJ already so they decided to switch inGwen because you can't have an alt story were things are the same.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

"Yes father, I shall become a bat."
"That's great Bruce, me and your mother support you, but could you please help me get this thing out of the study?"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

WickedHate posted:

"That's great Bruce, me and your mother support you, but could you please help me get this thing out of the study?"

"Dad I need you to pay for me to go train in Japan with the greatest martial arts masters"

"We've talked about this, you're going to Harvard."

"I HATE YOU!"

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Lurdiak posted:

The point, is that Bruce was an inherently heroic individual, he did not, in fact, need the tragedy of his parents being murdered when he was a child to make him a hero. If it hadn't been that or Alan, it would have been something else. It is a counter to the claims that heroes necessarily need a tragic moment in their lives to become heroes (Daredevil also tackles this, where Matt gets pissed off at the assumption that one cannot necessarily be heroic without having suffered something in the past to make them heroic.)

WickedHate posted:

Please. The Waynes are rich, they have people to do that for them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Onmi posted:

The point, is that Bruce was an inherently heroic individual, he did not, in fact, need the tragedy of his parents being murdered when he was a child to make him a hero. If it hadn't been that or Alan, it would have been something else. It is a counter to the claims that heroes necessarily need a tragic moment in their lives to become heroes (Daredevil also tackles this, where Matt gets pissed off at the assumption that one cannot necessarily be heroic without having suffered something in the past to make them heroic.)

Heroes might not, but Batman sure does. Almost every piece of modern Batman media portrays his superheroics as the result of an unhealthy obsession born of trauma. Even the animated series version, largely seen as one of the best and most fully fleshed out versions of the character, dwells heavily on this unavoidable reality. Him and Spider-man are two characters that are inextricably linked to their traumas. The What If where Spider-man did stop the robber had Peter lose sight of his morals and ideals so severely that he cut off contact with Aunt May and Uncle Ben once he made it big and basically told them to screw off. It took Jameson losing his mind and Daredevil nearly being beaten to death by the Sinister Six for him to change his ways.

There's a similar issue of the Batman Adventures comic (based on the animated series) where he sees what his life would be like if he hadn't lost his parents, and he's just some rich guy. He sees that Gotham has become a crime-ridden hellhole and is horrified, but all he can do is say "Someone should do something!", because he isn't Batman, just Bruce Wayne.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Oct 20, 2016

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah not all characters need a tragic event but Batman does.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Eh, that's kind of a retroactive darkening of the character, though. Batman 66 mentioned the death of his parents once in the pilot and then never again, he was just a crusader for righteousness . It only doesn't work if you assume the default Batman is always the broken one.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

It isn't retroactive if it's part of the origin.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The origin was there, but "Batman is a mopey edgelord manchild who needs a hug and a good therapist" is only a few decades old.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I would argue it's there for the beginning stops being a thing for a bit then Comes back. The silly seems more like a aberration than anything else.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

I would argue it's there for the beginning stops being a thing for a bit then Comes back. The silly seems more like a aberration than anything else.

I would argue against that as outside of his origin story mentioning it, Batmans early comics rarely feature him being mopey about his parents or the trauma. That didn't start happening for a good while.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Lurdiak posted:

There's a similar issue of the Batman Adventures comic (based on the animated series) where he sees what his life would be like if he hadn't lost his parents, and he's just some rich guy. He sees that Gotham has become a crime-ridden hellhole and is horrified, but all he can do is say "Someone should do something!", because he isn't Batman, just Bruce Wayne.

That is completely retarded. A super wealthy person like wayne has waaaay more power and ability to change things, than some rear end in a top hat in a cape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Johnny Aztec posted:

That is completely retarded. A super wealthy person like wayne has waaaay more power and ability to change things, than some rear end in a top hat in a cape.

Not if Joker stabs him.