Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

well he went from 1-11 to two straight 8-5 season, including a bowl win , but he just didn't have enough Solid Data for the discerning hiring board of Rutgers University.

now this Safeties coach from Ohio State, on the other hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

MourningView posted:

look at all your losers who aren't up on your message board rumors

Am I going to have to turn in my Enemies of Rutgers Athletics membership card?

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake

Alaois posted:

well he went from 1-11 to two straight 8-5 season, including a bowl win , but he just didn't have enough Solid Data for the discerning hiring board of Rutgers University.

He also had the #1 recruiting class in the MAC all 3 years, no way anybody knows if he has what it takes to recruit in the B1G's geographic footprint.

Also my dream is for Larry Bell to become Western Michigan's Phil Knight and throw a bus of beer money at Fleck.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

punched my v-card at camp posted:

He also had the #1 recruiting class in the MAC all 3 years, no way anybody knows if he has what it takes to recruit in the B1G's geographic footprint.

Also my dream is for Larry Bell to become Western Michigan's Phil Knight and throw a bus of beer money at Fleck.

Too bad Derek Jeter is too focused on Michigan to boost his hometown squad.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
I think Fleck might end up being a great coach but his resume isn't all that different to Darrell Hazell's pre-Purdue resume. Both were WR coaches that jumped all the way up to head coach and did well at MAC schools. I mean 11 wins is remarkable at Kent State - I figured at the time he would have been decent at a P5 school and not the abomination that he was.

an adult beverage fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 20, 2016

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
It's 100% true. Fleck went 7-5 in the MAC last year before they won a bowl. Purdue could have traveled back in time and hired Urban Meyer back when he was a position coach at Notre Dame, it doesn't have any bearing on his stock today. Rutgers picked Ash over Golden. Schiano passed. There was no one else they seriously looked at. They basically laughed at Fleck. And no doubt he is an insanely good recruiter, although I guess I'm the last holdout that he's the next great coach as opposed to just destroying the opposition with a massive recruiting advantage that won't be as pronounced at a bigger job.

Given what Flood did to the roster anyone would be struggling, although Fleck is less likely to have done a full tear down. A lot of things look really bad but a lot of rebuilding jobs take two years minimum.

What's crazy is Ash turned down Syracuse (under the AD who's now at Minnesota), and they ended up with Babers, who may be so good he goes back to Baylor.

edit: oh and actually you guys missed a story that actually is crazy. The local press reported that Pat Narduzzi hates Pitt and tried to get involved. So that's a sleeper to watch this offseason.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 20, 2016

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Alaois posted:

He was the DC, and before that the DC at Arkansas. Buckeye fans seemed to like him, I guess?

Fleck wasn't even in the conversation. After Schiano said no, it was let's mark down 7-5 in stone every year by hiring Al Golden, or take a chance on a sort of risky coach who might end up being good in Ash. They wanted power conference experience, and it really hurt Fleck that his OC was historically bad when he was the OC at Rutgers in 2009-2010.

How many 7-5 MAC coaches land in even struggling P5 programs? It was a non starter.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 20, 2016

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kim Jong Il posted:

He was the DC, and before that the DC at Arkansas.

co-DC, which is functionally meaningless.

and in terms of hiring decisions, taking a chance on a potentially untested but provably great recruiter or taking a chance of a journyman position coach, the latter seems WAY STUPIDER

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I think it's incredibly possible that Ash will end up being a better coach than Fleck would have at Rutgers, but on the other hand seeing him near tears on the sideline during the 78-0 makes it tough to remain positive

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

He was the DC, and before that the DC at Arkansas. Buckeye fans seemed to like him, I guess?

I liked Ash. Co-DC wasn't meaningless, I feel like Fickell is only listed as Co-DC because he was a good company man during 2011. Ash did a great job rebuilding after they pushed out Withers following the loving debacle in the Big Ten Championship to MSU followed by the loving debacle in the Orange Bowl to Clemson. Ohio State had the 112th rated pass defense the year before Ash (29 in Ash's first year) and Pizza Delivery men were telling Luke Fickell's wife that her husband sucked as a defensive coordinator.

Hazell's been real bad at Purdue, but I don't know if anybody can win there. I think they said on shutdown fullcast the other day that you have all the disadvantages of Georgia Tech, but you're also not in the city and you have truly grim weather. They're also probably the fifth choice school in a basketball state and the administration isn't interested in spending money on football.

Spacemonkey57 fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Oct 20, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah Hazell probably isn't as bad as his record indicates. Purdue clearly doesn't give a drat about the program anymore. It's there to pull the BTN dollars into the school and that's it. poo poo, Indiana State is probably out-recruiting them at this point.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
https://twitter.com/mrmax86/status/788899584533794816

:haw:

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

Spacemonkey57 posted:

Hazell's been real bad at Purdue, but I don't know if anybody can win there. I think they said on shutdown fullcast the other day that you have all the disadvantages of Georgia Tech, but you're also not in the city and you have truly grim weather. They're also probably the fifth choice school in a basketball state and the administration isn't interested in spending money on football.

Yeah that's a good comparison. Even more apt that GT's former AD is at Purdue also.

I think the best chance Purdue has is going a wacky nonstandard offense and carve out a niche. Sort of like the Mike Leach days at Texas Tech and WSU or even triple option like Navy or GT. They aren't ever going to compete if they try to replicate OSU or Michigan since they will always be outrecruited by those programs.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

an adult beverage posted:

Yeah that's a good comparison. Even more apt that GT's former AD is at Purdue also.

I think the best chance Purdue has is going a wacky nonstandard offense and carve out a niche. Sort of like the Mike Leach days at Texas Tech and WSU or even triple option like Navy or GT. They aren't ever going to compete if they try to replicate OSU or Michigan since they will always be outrecruited by those programs.

I think I am ready for the first A-11 offense at the NCAA level.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

swickles posted:

I think I am ready for the first A-11 offense at the NCAA level.

I've been ready for this for years now

make it happen, purdue

E: oh boy big shock the ncaa hates cool things

quote:

The scrimmage kick formation is allowed on fourth downs under NCAA rules and on conversion attempts, and a few situations which define a scrimmage kick formation with an additional requirement that "it is obvious that a kick may be attempted." It is otherwise not allowed for most normal plays, making the original A-11 impossible to use on an every-down basis.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I think it's incredibly possible that Ash will end up being a better coach than Fleck would have at Rutgers, but on the other hand seeing him near tears on the sideline during the 78-0 makes it tough to remain positive

I think Ash's look during that game was basically Gob Bluth's "I've made a huge mistake" as far as inviting ~200 recruits to see that bloodbath.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

DJExile posted:

I've been ready for this for years now

make it happen, purdue

E: oh boy big shock the ncaa hates cool things

It's some legit bush league poo poo, so this is a good thing.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Yeah it's not even legal at the high school level anymore, there are (or used to be) a few A11 specific leagues out there.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Purdue isn't a good job but Hazell is one of the worst power conference head coaches in a long time and people shouldn't try to excuse how awful he did there. Like Purdue will probably never be a power but he inherited a program that had been at least consistently making bowl games for a long time and completely cratered it. They're not gonna win a conference title but 6-7 wins on a regular basis is totally doable.

Doing something different from the rest of the conference offensively is a good idea. Tiller being one of the first power conference coaches to run some variety of the spread was a big advantage that helped them a lot early. If Drew Brees had come along a few years later after the Air Raid really blew up he'd have probably wound up staying in Texas (in fact I think his only other major offer was Hal Mumme era Kentucky). If they can get Brohm (who should be in more demand but might not because his record this season isn't all that stellar and he's really young) that'd be perfect, especially since he's been coaching in the same general geographic area.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 20, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'd kind of forgotten about Brohm. I don't think he'd be a bad fit at all at Purdue. I'd imagine it'll take some selling on the new AD's behalf though.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

LLCoolJD posted:

He's a midwestern guy, so a good opening out there would seem to be the first place he'd go. I don't know what James Franklin's buyout is, but Penn State won't stomach mediocrity forever.

True, but Penn State is probably going to finish this year at 8-4 because their last 5 games are all very winnable if they can just get through OSU without serious injury Saturday night.

an adult beverage posted:

They don't have to be that "wacky". Northwestern has been pretty competitive under Fitzgerald and Indiana under Wilson running fairly standard spread offenses.

Komet fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 20, 2016

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Hazell just needed another season or 5 to right the ship

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

I'd kind of forgotten about Brohm.

This means you are ignoring my posts and it's very hurtful

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

quote:

“I don’t see it happening,” Spack told The Pantagraph. “I’ve kind of moved on from that a long time ago.”

“They [Purdue] stink right now. I hope they get a good coach. I’ve got a lot of pride in the place. I put 22 years of my life in there. I like to see them win. But I don’t think it will be me.”

“I just don’t see Purdue going after an FCS head coach right now. It’s difficult for me. It’s the same record that keeps playing over and over again. I don’t think it’s healthy for me to go through all that stuff so I don’t really think about it.”

http://footballscoop.com/news/brock-spack-returning-purdue-dont-see-happening/

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
I think Brohm is good and should wait for a better job than Purdue.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

DJExile posted:

Yeah Hazell probably isn't as bad as his record indicates. Purdue clearly doesn't give a drat about the program anymore. It's there to pull the BTN dollars into the school and that's it. poo poo, Indiana State is probably out-recruiting them at this point.

Yes, but Hazell was also hired off of a fluke year, which he should probably thank Kyle Flood for giving him the biggest bullshit win of all time. Very good assistant though, he will find work quickly.

Ultimately there are only so many of these jobs. I mean idiots like Pete Thamel were saying we'd go after Joe Moglia last year and that was a loving joke. They'll get a power conference coordinator or a good mid major coach. There's a budding Todd Graham out there somewhere dying for a promotion.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

quote:

"For the 3rd straight game, Oregon has allowed at least 600 yds of offense. Between 2007-2015, Oregon allowed 600 yds of offense a total of 3 times."

so who is going to give Brady Hoke his next head coaching opportunity

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Marquis de Pyro posted:

so who is going to give Brady Hoke his next head coaching opportunity

The bottom of the Willamette River if everyone wants to win.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Charlie Strong gonna need a 5-game win streak to hang on to the job. Not looking likely. Sucks.

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

Every time I find out Texas lost a game, I can picture Tom Herman's wife packing another box in their Houston house.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Whoooooops, not the GDT.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Mike_V posted:

Whoooooops, not the GDT.

Heh, I did this too :shobon:

Dango Bango fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 22, 2016

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake
I don't know if it's gonna happen this year, but I'm curious if Bob Stitt starts showing up as a candidate for FBS jobs. His first year was promising despite starting three quarterbacks (in a pass heavy offense) due to horrible injury luck and he is poised to make a deeper playoff run this year. Most importantly, he's proved that his offense works at a higher level than DII- so far he's managed wins against teams that regularly challenge FBS squads including North Dakota State, Eastern Washington, and North Iowa. He also brought in what was considered one of the best recruiting classes in the FCS this winter.

Obviously he still has some stuff to prove, but if he continues to impress I think he should get serious consideration for G5 jobs at the very least. It's always sort of struck me as silly that a lot of these programs prefer to hire untested assistants from big schools rather than people with actual experience running programs.

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.
Honestly? I want Jim Cheney to come back to Purdue. He was a great recruiter and he's an offensive genius when he isn't trying to fit in.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
How long does a new coordinator hire get if they turn a top defense into a bottom 10 defense?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mike_V posted:

How long does a new coordinator hire get if they turn a top defense into a bottom 10 defense?

Well you see you just can't keep the same system that sent like 25 people to the NFL, gotta control those gaps.

He probably gets a pass for at least 2 years because of the system change unless Odom's job is in trouble somehow, realistically.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
We'll get to listen to a few seasons of 'Gosh, you can't fire him, it's only his _____ season! Give him some time!!" before they even consider doing anything.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

wernox posted:

Honestly? I want Jim Cheney to come back to Purdue. He was a great recruiter and he's an offensive genius when he isn't trying to fit in.

That would be totally OK with me :v:

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

punched my v-card at camp posted:

I don't know if it's gonna happen this year, but I'm curious if Bob Stitt starts showing up as a candidate for FBS jobs. His first year was promising despite starting three quarterbacks (in a pass heavy offense) due to horrible injury luck and he is poised to make a deeper playoff run this year. Most importantly, he's proved that his offense works at a higher level than DII- so far he's managed wins against teams that regularly challenge FBS squads including North Dakota State, Eastern Washington, and North Iowa. He also brought in what was considered one of the best recruiting classes in the FCS this winter.

Obviously he still has some stuff to prove, but if he continues to impress I think he should get serious consideration for G5 jobs at the very least. It's always sort of struck me as silly that a lot of these programs prefer to hire untested assistants from big schools rather than people with actual experience running programs.

Because you can get a Bobby Hauck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Recruiting is such a big deal that I could see apprehension bringing someone up from lower than FCS since even a great gameday coach can't do poo poo if they can't recruit. And at D-III you basically just send form letters to anybody who makes honorable mention all conference or better.

• Locked thread