Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Man Superman continues to just be amazing. With the way the overarching plot is going and the Darwyn Cooke tribute. The handling of The Losers I almost cried at that. Jon and Clark have such a great relationship, and the ongoing gag of Krypto being a nigh indestructible dog is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Endless Mike posted:

Nothing about this is "minimal"

It's also kind of ugly.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I feel like I probably shouldn't have been laughing at the new Justice League issue.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Teenage Fansub posted:

While we were talking LOSH...
That girl with the ring in the Rebirth special? In Batman #9, we see among the inmates at Arkham, a blonde Jane Doe who fogs the glass on her door and draws the Legion symbol.

Edit: Was there anything at the end of Catwoman that led her to being on death row or is that out of the blue?

ee: Also, Bane's naked side-butt. Already a fantastic week on that front.

Trinity is still nice and sweet and pretty, and Superman ruled as usual.

What concerns me about this issue of Batman is how Calendar Man is in Arkham now. So... what do we make of the Rebirth one-shot, did he just get up and captured sometime between then and now? Feels like an oddly dropped thread.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He was locked up in the Rebirth issue.

Caper
Feb 20, 2005

Fallen Rib
Did anyone read Trinity #2 and could tell me wtf was going on?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Caper posted:

Did anyone read Trinity #2 and could tell me wtf was going on?

It ALMOST was a time travel story. But what it really is, is that episode from JL "For the Man who has Everything". The three are in a shared dream, put on by Poison Ivy and the Black Mercy plant. Instead of them having some kind of idyllic lives separately, it's something else that is somehow giving them closure I think????

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Since a few different people asked about it, here's a chronology of attempts to 'fix'/'reboot' the legion:

1958-1986: Pretty much one long continuous story written by Jim Shooter and Paul Levitz, primarily. Lots of this is collected/digitized and is literally anything pre-1986.

1986-1989: DC dictates that Superboy never existed Post-COIE, Levitz does a "pocket universe" workaround, keeps writing the series though there are other demands made to 'fix' things post-Crisis. I don't think much of this is collected.

1989-1992: Keith Giffen restarts the series (with new numbering) "Five Years Later", moving it from a shiny utopian superhero future into a grimy sci-fi political/military drama. Is not allowed to even mention a pocket Universe Superboy.

1992-1994: The Bierbaums co-write with Giffen, then Giffen leaves, they bring in teenage clones of All Your Favorite Legion members, but also the old grizzled ones are still around too. At this point the line expands to two books (Legionnaires being the second). All of this appears to be on Comixology.

1994-1999: Mark Waid (but mostly Tom Peyer and Tom McCraw, Waid co-writes and leaves after less than a year) completely reboots the Legion of Superheroes after Zero Hour, bringing everyone back to their classic teenage selves. Roger Stern pitches in with co-plotting towards the end. This features a lot of "Ultimate" style retelling of classic Legion moments. This continues the numbering of the two "Five Years Later" books, and is all on Comixology.

1999-2001: Abnett and Lanning take over the two core books with "Legion of the Damned", which leads to a collapse of the Legion and the United Planets and is kinda-sorta a remake of the "Five Years Later" collapse story.

2001: The books end and a mini-series called Legion Lost shows how a bunch of members trapped on the other side of the universe fight their way back. This is on Comixology, but a concurrent mini-series Legion Worlds (which shows how everything collapses in their absence) is not. Both series are written by DNA.

2001-2004: A single book is relaunched as The Legion. DNA continue to write.

2004: Superboy (the Connor Kent version) joins the Legion after a crossover with Teen Titans. A few issues later, DNA leave the book. Gail Simon takes over for four issues and then the book gets canceled.

2004-2009: The book is completely rebooted, again. Everything starts from square one. This is Mark Waid's second clean reboot of the Legion. This actually happens before Infinite Crisis, though after Infinite Crisis the book is retitled Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes for awhile as the new Supergirl joins the team from the 21st century. Mark Waid leaves the book with issue #30, at which point Tony Bedard carries water for a little while. Then Jim Shooter returns to the book, a move that does not go well creatively or professionally. The book is canceled in 2009.

2007: Geoff Johns and Brad Meltzer decide they want to bring back the 1958-1994 version of the Legion, and do so in a crossover between JLA and JSA. This is a group of young heroes, but not the one from the 1994 or 2004 reboots, instead it's a group from some indeterminate point from the original series, before most of their published history happened. This is also the group that appears in Geoff Johns's Action Comics, though between these stories it's clear that they diverge from the "original" group but not in the ways the 1994 or 2004 groups did.

2008-2009: A Final Crisis mini-series is published, The Legion of Three Worlds, which features version of the 1958, 1994, and 2004 teams banding together with Superman to fight the Time Trapper, who is actually Superboy Prime cosplaying as Wayne Coyne. Turns out that all three versions of the team had interacted with the modern day heroes and they had just forgotten that they'd met all three teams until things went crazy in this mini-series. The end result of all the cosmic hijinks in this mini-series is that the 1994 and 2004 teams decide to wander off into the space desert to go on off-panel adventures, except for a couple of characters introduced solely in the 1994/2004 versions, who agree to stick around with the original and TOTALLY OFFICIAL NOW GUYS 1958 team, who are stuck in like more or less 1968 or so in terms of development.

2010: The "original" Legion sort of hang out in a number of books as supporting characters, and receive a back-up in the relaunched Adventure Comics.

2010: A new Legion of Super-Heroes book is launched by Paul Levitz.

2011-13: The book is relaunched again for NEW 52 and for whatever reason continuity is not hosed with at all for this book. They launch a second book, the second volume of Legion Lost, where half the team gets stuck in the 21st Century. Paul Levitz writes most of these but things peter out, Tom DeFalco writes some poo poo, and the books end without any real resolution.

2015: The people stranded in the present get sent back in Justice League Unlimited

2016: SATURN GIRL IS BACK YOU GUYS, but which one is it?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Have they ever paired Poison Ivy with the black mercy before? Makes sense. Alien plant but she would totally grow one.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

greatn posted:

Have they ever paired Poison Ivy with the black mercy before? Makes sense. Alien plant but she would totally grow one.

I think For The Man Who Has Everything has been referenced in pseudo flashbacks before in the New 52 (I remember Mongul showing the encounter on his ship) so all Ivy had to do was suss it out from there once it got on Earth. Or have someone supply it to her.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Teenage Fansub posted:

He was locked up in the Rebirth issue.

Ah, I thought he was still on the loose at the end. My mistake.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Here's some supplemental stuff for the LoSH. Firstly, comics history podcast Journey into Misery covered the entirety of the Silver Age of the Legion in an episode, and it's a must-listen both for how heavily it ends up blueprinting modern comics and for how utterly insane it gets.

Secondly, goon (and author of one of the only good LPs on this dead gay forum) Smasher Dynamo covered the first 24 issues of volume 4 (i.e. most of the Keith Giffen era) of Legion in his Baseball Manager LP thread, and it's absolutely worth reading as an analysis for how much of a convoluted boring mess of a comic post-Crisis Legion became. Here's a link to the writeups.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.

Endless Mike posted:

Nothing about this is "minimal"

In relation to the way DC previously handled covers? Yeah it is.

Compare and contrast.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Just because it is less bad does not make it "minimal" by any definition unless you're doing that "using a word to mean the opposite of what it means" thing.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Just because it is less bad does not make it "minimal" by any definition unless you're doing that "using a word to mean the opposite of what it means" thing.

Ah okay, you're just being a pedantic gently caress even though it's extremely evident what I meant. Apologies.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

If you compare the rebirth trade dress to the marvel NOW! (which just started up) trade dress it puts a fine point on how ugly and ostentatious the rebirth trade dress is.

Also having just read Wacky Raveland how boy am I glad that's being canceled. Apparently dystopia Muttley is a Scooby Doo of some sort.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

If you compare the rebirth trade dress to the marvel NOW! (which just started up) trade dress it puts a fine point on how ugly and ostentatious the rebirth trade dress is.

I might be missing something, but this looks like total poo poo.

I do appreciate the two #1s on the cover, just in case we ever forget that the entire industry is built on goosing sales.

CharlestheHammer posted:

It was not evident, I assume you meant minimal in comparison but that is inferring based on nothing.

I clarified in the post he was responding to, thank you for your input though.

Semper Fudge fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 20, 2016

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Semper Fudge posted:

Ah okay, you're just being a pedantic gently caress even though it's extremely evident what I meant. Apologies.

It was not evident, I assume you meant minimal in comparison but that is inferring based on nothing.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't really like the Rebirth logo because I just want to see more of the art.

I don't mind the Marvel NOW! logo thing so much.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Semper Fudge posted:

It's not evident what you meant when an entire page of posters thought you meant something different you defensive baby.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's not evident what you meant when an entire page of posters thought you meant something different you defensive baby.

Entire page of posters equals two people, but enjoy your dogpile.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Not a fan of that plain red Now! square and the title being pushed off center.

I'm just now appreciating what putting the storyline right at the top would do for actual comics in racks and bins.
For WW with it's back and forth arcs, it could actually help if you were only looking for one storyline's issues.

'Course it's not worth arguing about.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Oct 20, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Semper Fudge posted:

I might be missing something, but this looks like total poo poo.

I do appreciate the two #1s on the cover, just in case we ever forget that the entire industry is built on goosing sales.

I think the NOW! dress looks fine, and in either case is actually minimalist over a giant ugly curved blue banner that takes up a good sixth of the front page, considering it is a small red square taking up about the same space the old top-left big two publisher/comic-specific logos did.

And NOW! Is meant to be a jumping on point, the renumbering in addition to, yes, goose sales is meant to illustrate that, just like how DC names and numbers its arcs for rebirth now. They are different and equally valid approaches trying to accomplish the same thing, and was something DC itself was doing in the nineties with Triangle Numbers.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I like the fact that story arcs are now printed on the cover, but I do hope they drop the 'Rebirth' branding after a little while. Unlike New 52, which was printed on like 40 issues of Batman. Also, offset the angle of the DC logo to reflect the 80-90's bullet design.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

purple death ray posted:

I like how everyone will just ignore the fact that American Dracula is a huge idiot racist and try to include him in the discussion and his response is to say more idiot racist stuff. Can we please get him out of here now? WickedHate catches a ton of poo poo every time she posts anywhere but for some reason people are civil to this clown.

Ummmm how about no? If I was a racist I sure as poo poo would also hate Bloodwynd, Black Condor, Black Panther, Steel, etc etc et loving cetra except I love those characters! Why can't you get it through your big dumb head that what I don't like is just changing poo poo for the sake of change or just to score points in the media. It's articles like these that irritate me: http://tvline.com/2016/08/11/gay-superhero-freedom-fighters-the-ray-cw-seed-arrow/

First the article starts with "He’s here. He’s superhuman. Get used to it." which is so loving stupid when A)comics were one of the first entertainment mediums to accurately portray gay people, show them in positive light, and there have been gay characters since the 90s when I first started reading comics B) comic fans have for the most part always embraced these characters. So why is the article written like "this ain't your childhood comics we got gay heroes now and y'all better get used to it!" Like wtf with the hostility and then the article is riddled with numerous inaccuracies and no attempts at fact checking (The Ray was first introduced in Justice League in the 70s wtf?) these writers are the kinds of people Dan Didio wants to cater too. I just hate things like sticking cyborg in the Justice league and pretending this is the first time the Justice League has portrayed diversity when loving Justice League International was doing a far better job of it in the 80s (not to mention Detroit, JLA, Extreme Justice, and Meltzer and Mcduffies runs) it's just a bunch of baloney and cheap ways to attract attention without actually doing it in a meaningful way that serves the story and the DC universe. You want gay characters fine Batwoman, Bunker, and Midnighter being a supporting character in grayson and then getting his own title were all good ways to do it. Wanting to turn the Ray gay just for some headlines and to pretend this is the first time we're going to have a diverse Justice league that reflects America just grates me.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I can't be racist some of my favorite heroes are black!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The more he talks the happier I am about that series.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Hmm good argument, but have you considered the fact that you are a huge dumb racist idiot and everything you say is loving stupid?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Alucard, I'm going to level with you. There is literally nothing you can say in any way to change opinions about yourself. A notion has already been spread, and judgement has been passed.

Just drop it, because no one actually cares what you have to say in your defense. Apologizing will not help, posting in your defense will not help, and in the future pretty much any time you say anything this will be brought up again. There's nothing you can do to change this. Just drop it and move on.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
The first out superhero in Marvel comics was Northstar and after he came out, it was never mentioned again for a couple of years. One writer wanted to give him aids

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

bobkatt013 posted:

The first out superhero in Marvel comics was Northstar and after he came out, it was never mentioned again for a couple of years. One writer wanted to give him aids

Was it Winnick?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

No dude, I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and just assumed he was posting in good faith but expressed his opinions in a way that accidentally came off as super racist (especially since I dont like bandwagon posting, since it's a lovely thing to do and sucks to be on the receiving end of) but this latest debacle where he decides apropos of literally nothing whatsoever to turn a discussion about how dc addresses continuity into a rant about how representation in DC is killing them creatively or whatever made me realize he is engaging in dogwhistle racist bullshit and we are all complicit if we don't call him out for it. Purple death ray is right, engaging this homophobic regressive rear end in a top hat on any level enables and normalizes his bullshit. gently caress that.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Onmi posted:

Was it Winnick?

Lobdell was the one who wrote the issue, but it was hinted at since the beginning. The aids storyline was before him coming out and it was solved by saying he was not human but a fairy

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

bobkatt013 posted:

Lobdell was the one who wrote the issue, but it was hinted at since the beginning. The aids storyline was before him coming out and it was solved by saying he was not human but a fairy

Really. The gay guy is a fairy. :jerkbag: Were they just ignorant or was that malice?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Decius posted:

Really. The gay guy is a fairy. :jerkbag: Were they just ignorant or was that malice?

Pretty sure it's an unfortunate coincidence. It was short lived and he was back to being a mutant in short while.

quote:

Writer Bill Mantlo took over for John Byrne as Alpha Flight writer, and wrote a story where Northstar became infected with a sudden strange illness. Apparently, Mantlo intended to reveal that the illness was AIDS and to then kill off the character in Alpha Flight #50. Maybe Mantlo was trying to be topical, but to have the only known gay character (acknowleged officially or not) suddenly die of AIDS would have just been insulting, and a terrible message to any and all gay kids reading about that character: “No matter what you do kids, if you’re gay you will get AIDS and die, that’s the only story we have about people like you.’Nuff said True Believer!” Thankfully, wiser heads at Marvel prevailed, and Northstar was not killed off, and his weird illness was revealed to be magical in nature, and it was even revealed that Northstar was not a mutant, but in fact….he was a fairy. (Ok, maybe killing him off would have been less insulting.) In any event, Northstar’s new “fairy” status was shortlived and retconned out, and he went back to being a mutant pretty drat quick.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Onmi posted:

Alucard, I'm going to level with you. There is literally nothing you can say in any way to change opinions about yourself. A notion has already been spread, and judgement has been passed.

Just drop it, because no one actually cares what you have to say in your defense. Apologizing will not help, posting in your defense will not help, and in the future pretty much any time you say anything this will be brought up again. There's nothing you can do to change this. Just drop it and move on.

Actually my problem is that this doesn't happen, unless he's actively posting about his "pc gone crazy" paranoid fantasies nobody is willing to call him out on his awful opinions and will just happily engage with him on other subjects, which then gives him the opportunity to inject his garbage thoughts into the conversation. I'd completely believe he's trolling at this point and doing it completely on purpose like a little baby Farooq just for the comic book forums.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Semper Fudge posted:

In relation to the way DC previously handled covers? Yeah it is.

Compare and contrast.

This isn't even a fair comparison, as Brightest Day was prior to New 52. If you wanted to make a real comparison, you should be using the last issue prior to Rebirth:

Which is actually much cleaner than the Rebirth trade dress.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

purple death ray posted:

Actually my problem is that this doesn't happen, unless he's actively posting about his "pc gone crazy" paranoid fantasies nobody is willing to call him out on his awful opinions and will just happily engage with him on other subjects, which then gives him the opportunity to inject his garbage thoughts into the conversation. I'd completely believe he's trolling at this point and doing it completely on purpose like a little baby Farooq just for the comic book forums.

To be honest I clocked out on his post at the beginning and didn't bother reading the rest.

Not that I disagree with you though.

Roth fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 20, 2016

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
So I'm a little behind due to saving up for a move, but I just picked up a few things that came out last week and yesterday. God drat, I'm really loving most of what DC is doing right now. Batman and Detective are amazing, so is Superman and Action Comics. And I absolutely LOVE Hal Jordan and the GL Corps. And even the books that I'm meh about: Justice League and Flash, are still enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I can't be racist some of my favorite heroes are black!

I laughed so loving hard at this. There's bits of egg on my screen. Bravo.