Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Used some Goya brand Yellow Hominy in my latest chili. They ended up slightly chewy in the final result which I hadn't expected, nice textural contrast. If you don't have a problem with corn products in your chili give it a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefnchedda
Aug 16, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

Used some last night and hardly any heat at all in them. Some of them were very large, much larger than serranos usually are. Almost wondering if it's some kind of bell pepper.

Kind of looks like hungarian wax peppers.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
Haven't checked in on the thread in awhile.

I'm livid about the filet mignon recipe. I almost want to try it so I can validate my anger with first-hand evidence. I never cared about the beans debate because it's just semantics. This looks like culinary suicide.

My grad school adviser's retirement coincided with my graduation. He likes to cook and he likes spicy food so I gave him some homemade chili powder as a retirement gift. :unsmith:

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Hey goons! I've been lurking here for a while, and checking this thread every drat year for the last five years when the harvest fest chili cook off comes around. I posted a couple times but I never won big so there wasn't really a reason to post. That is, until last October when I finally wrested the plastic chili pepper necklace from ***** Smith's (of ***** Smith's Plumbing) fingers. I won the judge's blind taste test and the people's choice against nine other pots, and like the kid in the drug public service announcement said, I learned it by watching you.

Wow that sounds made up. Good thing I took pictures.

And with that, I give you, The Bourbon Legend:

Flesh: be lazy and get it from a market with a butcher that'll cut it up for you. Ask for "cubed for chili". If you order a couple days ahead they won't mind so much. Talk to the butcher in person, gently grasp his/her shoulders and explain how important it is that you beat ***** Smith of ***** Smith Plumbing. He's robbed you year after year. It ends now.
8 lbs cubed chuck roast
4 lbs cubed pork shoulder

homemade chili powder: makes a huge difference
4 dried california chilis
4 dried negro chilis
4 dried gujillo chilis deseeded
1 tbsp cumin seeds
toast all that in a cast iron pan, then blend in batches, adding the following in the spice grinder
1tsp dried oregano
1tsp dried basil
1tsp smoked paprika

Homemade beef stock a la Emeril: makes a huge difference
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/beef-stock-recipe.html

And here's the rest:
5 large sweet onions small diced
24 cloves of garlic (small) peeled and food processed
0.75 lbs jalapeņos deseeded, deveined, small diced
small can of chipotle food processed
3 limes
evan williams Bourbon
12oz alaskan Ale (get a 24 oz bomber and drink the other half)
3 tbsp black strap molasses
6- oz strong but stale coffee (made five hours before or so)

Spices for last minute seasoning:
oregano
basil
granulated garlic
kosher salt
pepper grinder
cayenne
***and decoy spices***

Begin by getting cast iron pot nice and hot, add a little evo and start browning meat in small batches, lightly salting and peppering each batch. Drain each batch on paper towels. When the meat is browned cook the garlic, jalapeņos and onions in the juices and any fond. Deglaze with bourbon (2-4 shots) and make sure you cook it off. We don't want a repeat of 2013

At this point ***** Smith of ***** Smith Plumbing will start scoping out your ingredients. This is why you brought the decoy spices. Don't use them, just keep the on the table.

Now get everything you've cooked back into the pot (switch to a bigger pot). Add beer, molasses, coffee, and the juice and zest of all 3 limes. Add most of the chili powder and whatever spices the chili gods move you to season with.

Then you get it hot and bare simmer a couple hours until the meat gets tender and everything tastes good. Dial the spiciness in over time with the blended chipotle, teaspoon by teaspoon.

Be patient, resist the urge to use any thickeners (you always get dinged for this), no additional cumin. SWEET BABY BUDDA NO ADDITIONAL CUMIN. We don't want a repeat of 2014.

That's it. I did a pot with beans one of the five years and it was okay. I called it "Bean there Done that" and it wasn't very good. I like chili with beans, but imho if you are trying to win a competition beans will not help you stand out.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
A+ chili, A+ post. We're proud of you goon.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Taking the chili thread back to its roots with A Good Chili Post. Well done.

Got any more pics of the final product?

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Ranter posted:

Taking the chili thread back to its roots with A Good Chili Post. Well done.

Got any more pics of the final product?

Unfortunately no, I took a lot of pics of the night before prep because I had a lot of time. The competition is timed and only allows for three hours before tasting and the whole batch got eaten, 1 oz samples at a time.

I've moved out of the area this competition took place in, but they want me to come back to defend the title. Stay tuned for an update this fall, may be I'll go back . . .

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm trying to branch out my cheap bulk recipes repertoire. If I want to use a cheaper meat like chicken, how should I compensate with the seasonings? I also want to serve it on rice for extra cheapness, I assume that would mean I want to kick up the spices a little bit? I'm also going to put :can:beans:can: in some of it (my wife's allergic).

I know this thread likes to have arguments about what's really chili. I don't care about it really being chili, I care about it being cheap, tasty, and nutritious.

I could probably get some pork on sale for about the same price as chicken, since I never get whole chickens despite them being the cheapest. Would that be better when I can find it?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Buy dehydrated beans dont overnight soak em, jus boil em drain em blend half an toss them in after you slow cook the rest. That is if you're using an acidic base since beans dont cook well in that.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, I've got a ton of dried beans since I bought about 16 pounds in bulk when I was doing a lot of chili and baked beans last year. I'm going to put them in the dutch oven for a few hours before I put them in the chili or the blender. I'm up at 5000 feet, so that really fucks with cook times. Until I found a no-soak beans recipe in the POT BEANS thread, I could never get the beans cooked all the way.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Do tell. Bake em?

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Okay I'm going for it again! :dance: Chili cook off is on October 1st, gonna Drive 200 miles to defend my title. Wish me luck. we should do a goon chili cook off, they're all over!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Junkie Disease posted:

Do tell. Bake em?

Sorry for the super late reply. I do them like this, but for more like 90 minutes to 2 hours. That's just because I'm at 5,000 feet, though. Lower elevations are probably fine at 75.

http://www.thepauperedchef.com/2009/06/90-minute-no-soak-beans.html

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

BBQ Dave posted:

Okay I'm going for it again! :dance: Chili cook off is on October 1st, gonna Drive 200 miles to defend my title. Wish me luck. we should do a goon chili cook off, they're all over!

Nice, good luck to you! I successfully defended in mine this year, last year I entered a pork green chili and won, this year I defended with a Texas red, next year I'm going to defend with bean soup.

This year I stocked up on dried chilis and used
20 anchos
15 california
15 pasilla
10 guajillo
5 chilhuacle negro
10 toasted arbol
5 morita
10 pequin
10 tepin
3 habanero
1/4 ghost pepper

Meat was 8 pounds of stew beef, 3 pounds chorizo, 1 pound linguica, 3 pounds beef short rib, 6 pounds beef neck.

Washed, stemmed, and when possible seeded then soaked all the chilis for ~2 hours, used the soak water to make two stocks, a stock with the beef neck, and a parmesan cheese rind stock, then all liquid used in the chili was 4:1 ratio beef stock:cheese rind stock

6 onions, 4 skinned tomatoes

Spiced heavily with garlic, cumin, oregano, and paprika, lightly with black pepper, also juice from about 4-5 limes.

You wouldn't believe how long I had to spend skimming off chorizo fat, but the end product was a chili that I think may very well be the best chili I ever made. I don't measure during chili making and instead just taste a lot and add more or less as I feel like, so I doubt I could ever make exactly the same chili again, but it was very good, not too hot for the masses at the cookoff and the heat had an absurdly long trail off that you could still taste minutes later. The heat even seemed to have a complexity, which seemed to have 2 distinct peaks in hotness, an early medium one and a ~5-10 seconds later hotter one.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

:eyepop:

Nice chili variety!

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

I'm participating in a small town chili cook-off on Oct 15th. I can only bring one 4QT crock pot so I've been refining my tech for a month.
I've gone full pretentious chili artisan on my family. Everything from the chili powder/seasoning process from scratch, to stock making, to meat choice and mix.

The thread has been great in upping my game and giving me great insights when improving.

About to take a long, spicy nap:

I'll be attempting to grill my meat and veggies before doing a long-low-n-slow to maximize flavor. Wish me luck.

D.Ork Bimboolean fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Sep 28, 2016

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

D.Ork Bimboolean posted:

I'll be attempting to grill my meat and veggies before doing a long-low-n-slow to maximize flavor. Wish me luck.

Good luck! Making your own stock and powder makes a big difference.

Long Spicy Nap band name I called it.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I was wondering if anyone had an idea of a "Chili Starter Kit" Like basic stuff to get me started in making chili. I've always wanted to try it but have been too nervous due to not really knowing what to do or where to start. I'm also a huge baby when it comes to chilies, as in I can't even deal with jalapenos. Anyone have any ideas to help?

I'm realy wanting to get out of my comfort zone when cooking, I just don't know where to start with most things haha.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Elblanco posted:

I was wondering if anyone had an idea of a "Chili Starter Kit" Like basic stuff to get me started in making chili. I've always wanted to try it but have been too nervous due to not really knowing what to do or where to start. I'm also a huge baby when it comes to chilies, as in I can't even deal with jalapenos. Anyone have any ideas to help?

I'm realy wanting to get out of my comfort zone when cooking, I just don't know where to start with most things haha.

The recipe in the OP is a great starting point.

Basically:

Meat
Onions
Chilis
Red Stuff if you like tomatoes, beer and stock if you prefer a "meatier" taste.
beans

There is a great recipe floating in the beginning of this thread for a real good basic spice blend as well.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Crazyeyes posted:

The recipe in the OP is a great starting point.

Basically:

Meat
Onions
Chilis
Red Stuff if you like tomatoes, beer and stock if you prefer a "meatier" taste.
beans

There is a great recipe floating in the beginning of this thread for a real good basic spice blend as well.

Awesome, I'll go back and look through it all. thanks!

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Elblanco posted:

One thing to bear in mind is that chili is not at all about classiness and there are so many strongly flavored things in it that it's incredibly hard to mess up and come up with something bad.

In terms of peppers, I like dried peppers for red chilis and fresh for green chilis. For red, start with a base chili flavor of ancho chilis, that is a dried poblano. They are the classic chili flavor and are between 1/10 and 1/5 the potency of jalapenos, so you aren't going to be making something too spicy.

If you are concerned about your cooking skills, chorizo is delicious and has the right flavor profile for chili already, but you're going to probably need to skim fat off the top of the finished product since it's a pretty fatty sausage. A couple links of chorizo removed from casing and added to your meat mixture is a good thing, because chorizo is really dang good.

Cutting your meat into cubes will give a much better texture than using ground beef.

If you make something too spicy, serve it over rice.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

I always serve over rice cause it adds a very pleasant texture and hides my shame if my chili turns out a little too soupy (yes, I know I can add a little corn starch or corn meal to thicken but that's not always an option!)

My standard chili base blend is guajillos and arbols in approximately equal measure by number, not mass.

But yes. Chili is one of the most variable dishes around. There is no "one true chili" so to speak, and everyone's recipes are different based On personal preferences. Try some stuff out and see what works for you. It can easily be tailored for more or less spice, or smokiness, or sweetness, or umami. Do what you like ( within reason) and it'll be delicious!

Just don't use filet mignon :argh:

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Also, if you're like me and find making your own powder a little tedious, I prefer to soak my chilies and than just process them down into a paste.

I haven't made chili in a while, and it just got cool outside. Maybe I should make a batch.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Soupy chili and rice is especially good the next day because the rice soaks up that flavor juice and is also less likely to make a loving mess if you drop your backpack down the stairs. Something about that solid block of rice is better than the thickest chili for accidents like that.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Chili cook off starts in seven hours.

I can't sleep.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
What do you get when you have a lot of money but not a lot of culinary experience? Maybe filet mignon chili. Maybe this.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

My girlfriend volunteered me against my will to make chili for her parents because "your chili is so good". Problem is: her father is an incredibly picky eater due to health issues, so spicy/strong flavors really upset his stomach. I knew this and cautioned my gf, but her response was, "Just make it without the peppers!"

Please help. How does one make good chili without chili peppers and with minimal spices? I don't think it's possible.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
Beef stew.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Crazyeyes posted:

Please help. How does one make good chili without chili peppers and with minimal spices? I don't think it's possible.

If it comes down to minimal spices and removing the chilis of chili, then your audience probably has no idea what good chili is and is probably expecting something you'd find at Wendy's.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Yeah, make your in laws a good stew.

Needs some packet ranch dressing and taco seasoning though.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Crazyeyes posted:

My girlfriend volunteered me against my will to make chili for her parents because "your chili is so good". Problem is: her father is an incredibly picky eater due to health issues, so spicy/strong flavors really upset his stomach. I knew this and cautioned my gf, but her response was, "Just make it without the peppers!"

ground beef, kidney beans, bell pepper, onion, diced tomato, tomato paste, celery, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, cumin, a little cinnamon, and one single tear.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Maybe make the stew/chili-with-no-spice like people are suggesting, and then server a side bowl with reconstituted chilis and spicy/flavorful stuff that they can add at their leisure? That way they at least have the option, and you have a clean conscience of providing them with a full flavor profile?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

What's y'alls opinion on a good hotdog chili? Er, "meat sauce" whatever. I'm going after that style that's thin but meaty which you can just submerge with a delicious half-smoke. No beans here.

Right now I've got ground beef and chicken liver minced to a pate-like consistency for the base, and of course onions and garlic. I'm torn on whether to use peppers or tomatoes but I really want that bright red mean looking chili that accompanies half-smokes and white hots.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/09/chili-for-chili-burgers-dogs-fries-recipe.html

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Man, serious eats always expects you to have a grocery store sized pantry but hotdog chili is in my top 5 favorite things in life.

I've heard at various sources that the best Detroit style uses cow hearts which is why I want some kind of organ meat in there.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

al-azad posted:

Man, serious eats always expects you to have a grocery store sized pantry but hotdog chili is in my top 5 favorite things in life.

I've heard at various sources that the best Detroit style uses cow hearts which is why I want some kind of organ meat in there.

While I agree in general that Serious Eats tends to call for quite a few ingredients, all of those ingredients seem pretty common and reasonable to me. The only one I don't have in my pantry or freezer right now is bourbon.

Organ meat is definitely a good idea for any chili, though. It adds this amazing deep, rich beefy flavor.

I wonder why they call for chicken stock instead of beef stock for that recipe. More beefy flavor seems like a good thing, and lip-smacking gelatinous texture is definitely a plus to me :shrug:

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

While I agree in general that Serious Eats tends to call for quite a few ingredients, all of those ingredients seem pretty common and reasonable to me. The only one I don't have in my pantry or freezer right now is bourbon.

Organ meat is definitely a good idea for any chili, though. It adds this amazing deep, rich beefy flavor.

I wonder why they call for chicken stock instead of beef stock for that recipe. More beefy flavor seems like a good thing, and lip-smacking gelatinous texture is definitely a plus to me :shrug:

If you've got a beef stock you really like, use it, but a lot of supermarket beef broth is basically just a ramen flavor pack mixed into water.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Tendales posted:

If you've got a beef stock you really like, use it, but a lot of supermarket beef broth is basically just a ramen flavor pack mixed into water.

Take some beef bones out of the freezer and pressure cook them until they start to lose structural integrity. Usually it takes me around 12-16 hours.

I do like Better Than Bouillon beef base for storebought, though. It's not as good as homemade but it's better than most.

FART BOSS
Aug 27, 2008

~hands upon harrows
heels in the weeds
starving and harvesting
down centuries~

I've got a hankering for chili but fresh jalapeņos, let alone more exotic peppers, are just not available here in Taiwan. Which would be a better substitute if I'm using Ironleg's recipe: half a can of chipotle in adobo and some canned jalapeņo or just the full can of chipotle? Also they don't have canned beef broth here. Is chicken broth worth trying or should I just add more beer to make up for the moisture?

FART BOSS fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

FART BOSS posted:

I've got a hankering for chili but fresh jalapeņos, let alone more exotic peppers, are just not available here in Taiwan. Which would be a better substitute if I'm using Ironleg's recipe: half a can of chipotle in adobo and some canned jalapeņo or just the full can of chipotle? Also they don't have beef stock here. Is chicken broth worth trying or should I just add more beer to make up for the moisture?

Fortunately chili is incredibly flexible and you can't really mess it up. Using straight chipotles will give you a smokier chili, while mixing will give a chili with less smoke flavor. Chicken broth can work but I'd use beer personally. Either one should work though, it's a ,after of taste.