Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

HoboMan posted:

sql server is warning me about "missing index"s on some queries and gives me the code to create the one it thinks i need. are these suggestions any good?

Shaggar posted:

probably

Finster Dexter posted:

signs point to yes

not always!

they can make no difference at all because often it will pick up some random columns that would help reduce a tiny rowset down further when actually the problem is there's a massive spool going on somewhere in the planner.

depends on how shoddily indexed the db is already though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

from talking with the teacher it sounds like they're wrestling with the concept of assigning names to functions so

definitely gonna talk about type systems

pass out DARE pamphlets but replace all the drugs with javascript frameworks

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

apparently I volunteered to talk to middle schoolers about programming

what should I talk about? other than how programming is a cool and good way to get rich and siphon money out of SV

robots

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

MononcQc posted:

no actually type system peeps keep using single letter names for everything it's perfect for them

yes, and you can teach them creativity with "invent your own infix operators" day

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

ThePeavstenator posted:

tell ur parents if u or ur friends are offered ember.js by anyone with a mustache or too tight pants

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
this training guide is trying to sell our web client framework as MVVM, but knowing our infrastructure team what that actually means is they designed whatever the gently caress they wanted and then picked the name of the design pattern which they could most easily bullshit an explanation for.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
finster you should pay me all the money, i gave you your problem three ways. if i did that poo poo on chopped id be the chopped champion for sure, no sighing goodbyes from ted for me.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

this training guide is trying to sell our web client framework as MVVM, but knowing our infrastructure team what that actually means is they designed whatever the gently caress they wanted and then picked the name of the design pattern which they could most easily bullshit an explanation for.
they almost used the observer pattern correctly someplace -> gently caress it, it's MVVM

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

not always!

they can make no difference at all because often it will pick up some random columns that would help reduce a tiny rowset down further when actually the problem is there's a massive spool going on somewhere in the planner.

speaking of, the query seems to be choking on this suspiciously named index "[_dta_index_<mytable>_8_1825979051__K1_K4_K3_K10_K2_K8_5_6_7_9_11_12_13_14_15_16]"

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

not always!

hmm yes well my magic 8 ball says otherwise

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

finster you should pay me all the money, i gave you your problem three ways. if i did that poo poo on chopped id be the chopped champion for sure, no sighing goodbyes from ted for me.

Well, we have two positions open right now. .NET dev and C++/python dev.

How do you feel about moving to Shitsberg, SD?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

ThePeavstenator posted:

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

tell ur parents if u or ur friends are offered ember.js by anyone with a mustache or too tight pants

"hey kid, wanna see my node.js?"

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

dude have you rolled the latest sproutcore?

nah man but check out this herb

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Finster Dexter posted:

dude have you rolled the latest sproutcore?

nah man but check out this herb

I guess the author of this module doesn't pronounce the "H"

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

ThePeavstenator posted:

lmaooooo

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ThePeavstenator posted:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

psst, hey kid, wanna try this injection? it doesn't give any dependency, i swear

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ThePeavstenator posted:

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

psst, hey kid, wanna try this injection? it doesn't give any dependency, i swear

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

ThePeavstenator posted:

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
node.js: not even once

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

ThePeavstenator posted:

NihilCredo posted:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Dynamic Arsepile Resistance Education

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

ThePeavstenator posted:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

haha wow.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

lmao

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

what should I talk about? other than how programming is a cool and good way to get rich and siphon money out of SV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywWBy6J5gz8

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

cryptopals is cool. i just hacked a string's password

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

from talking with the teacher it sounds like they're wrestling with the concept of assigning names to functions so

definitely gonna talk about type systems

Is it a career fair style thing, or are you basically teaching the class for one day?

If the former, probably something about how it can be used for creating exciting stuff like robots, cars, weapons, et cetera.

The latter, maybe something like Skim Milk's post or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geqq63WFLr0

Visual projects are good. Don't forget abstract thinking is difficult for many people, especially children.

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

i have failed our internal javascript certification twice now. i just keep getting killed by the various type conversion poo poo. it is so loving confusing:

it's ridiculous that these are the things that your certification tests. i cannot imagine a programmer that knows the JS type coercion minutiae and then chooses to write code utilizing it. but then again i don't really work with many JS programmers

NihilCredo posted:

whenever i write stuff like this (arrays of value literals), I always wonder if either the compiler or the JITter is smart enough to store them as constants andtt reuse them, or if they get re-allocated and then garbage collected at every function call

it's totally a micro-optimisation that won't matter outside of the hottest of paths, but it would bother me a little since i usually prefer to write "{Foo, Bar}.Contains(baz)" instead of "baz == Foo || baz == Bar"

you mean the array constants and not the string constants right? as with all things i'm sure it depends on the language/compiler, but i've never heard of this optimization being done and would prob be surprised if it did happen. i imagine the compiler has to prove some things about how it's being accessed, but i'm far from a compiler writer. with that being said, i'm not sure why it couldn't just be stored on the stack and avoid the whole allocation dance

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

This cryptopals thing looks cool. Will I learn how to roll my own crypto with this? I hope so.

But seriously, looks fun

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Finster Dexter posted:

This cryptopals thing looks cool. Will I learn how to roll my own crypto with this? I hope so.

But seriously, looks fun

you'll learn how not to

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Pie Colony posted:

it's ridiculous that these are the things that your certification tests. i cannot imagine a programmer that knows the JS type coercion minutiae and then chooses to write code utilizing it. but then again i don't really work with many JS programmers

only people who completely bomb the type coercion part of the certification should be allowed to pass, as they'll be the ones who avoid js type fuckery at all costs. anyone who does well will only try to use their knowledge to (perhaps inadvertently) write completely opaque and awful code that relies on deep knowledge of js' obscure coercion edge cases

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

HoboMan posted:

speaking of, the query seems to be choking on this suspiciously named index "[_dta_index_<mytable>_8_1825979051__K1_K4_K3_K10_K2_K8_5_6_7_9_11_12_13_14_15_16]"

that was either auto generated or named by a madman wtf

is the query performance actually worse than 'expected'? the planner will definitely recommend indexes that dont really improve performance and also it won't suggest adding to existing indexes to create a covering index. so you can end up with loads of single column indexes that are individually fine for a query on that column only but not actually any use for anything that hits more than 1 so you end up with rows loaded into memory and then scanned instead of just getting only relevant rows back from the index directly

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

redleader posted:

only people who completely bomb the type coercion part of the certification should be allowed to pass, as they'll be the ones who avoid js type fuckery at all costs. anyone who does well will only try to use their knowledge to (perhaps inadvertently) write completely opaque and awful code that relies on deep knowledge of js' obscure coercion edge cases

Yeah, agreed. If you're never quite sure what js is doing with the types you'll remember to just use the loving === and don't rely on js to be consistent at all because it isn't. Your code will a lot less error prone, I think.

For cyrptopals is it cheating if I use System.Convert.ToBase64String(byte[])?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

yessssss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

Go through the thread and copy all the butt/boner/poop code examples to a PowerPoint and then just talk about them the whole time

• Locked thread