Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The good Z Moves will not be the big damage laser ones and we've only seen one of those so far, expect something totally gamebreaking on a Pokémon nobody would use if it didn't have that Z move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I remember some evidence that the power of Z moves is determined party by what move you're combining it with. I wonder if you can get something extremely powerful if you combine it with Hyper Beam or Blast Burn or whatever.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

that evidence, is the freaking demo. maybe put down the simulators and play some pokemon once in a while

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

oddium posted:

that evidence, is the freaking demo. maybe put down the simulators and play some pokemon once in a while

i dont trust people, and i didn't use Pikachu in the demo, because ASh Greninja is so freakin sweet.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'm skeptical about z-moves getting alot of use in vgc because of how common protect is and z-moves only getting one shot

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

mabels big day posted:

i dont trust people, and i didn't use Pikachu in the demo, because ASh Greninja is so freakin sweet.

[aside] he's right...

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

oddium posted:

oh i read serebii wrong i think. anyway using an item slot to get hyper beam isn't very good. but getting geomancy would be. cheers

Seems like Z moves of a certain type can be activated with offensive moves of the same type if the interaction with Thunderbolt, Electro Ball, and Nuzzle are any indication. Though I also question their usefulness in a format where Protect is dominant. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Anyway the roundabout point I want to make is bring back gen 1 Hyper Beam

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Countblanc posted:

175 power basically lets you punch through a lot of poo poo that you otherwise couldnt and at worst gives you some very strong option selects ("i'm going to throw this 175 power move which was only resisted by the two KO'd mons on my opponents team so something is dying either way"). i dunno though we'll have to see what they all are, hopefully there's more like the eevee one which provide buffs or defensive benefits

There's confirmed to be 29 iirc, 18 generics and likely 11 signature ones, of which we've seen 4. I'm expecting all the generic ones to be straight up attacks while a couple of pokemon get their gimmicks that change stats, and it's once more mostly Gen I stuff.

Far'fetch gets one that raises his attack and speed by three stages before delivering a 130 power attack.

mabels big day posted:

I remember some evidence that the power of Z moves is determined party by what move you're combining it with. I wonder if you can get something extremely powerful if you combine it with Hyper Beam or Blast Burn or whatever.

I'm guessing Explosion will be bonkers

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
I'm sure Z-Moves will actually see a lot of use in VGC because they're really similar to how the different Type Gems were back in the day. You get one shot with a powered up attack and that took an item slot from the pokemon as well, yet it was all over the place like Fighting Gem Close Combat Hitmontop in order to secure OHKOs on things. And really, baiting out a protect is easy enough. Or have a partner with Feint.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

I still think it's crazy that Ash-Greninja can use items. Not only does it get what is essentially a free Life Orb boost, but you can throw another Life Orb on top of that! You would think that Game Freak might cool it after Primal Reversion and other goofy Gen 6 crap, but nope.

Still, Ash-Greninja is so cool, so I'm okay with it. :3:

He has to KO something and manage to not get Mach Punched right in the dick which is surprisingly difficult!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

mabels big day posted:

Anyway the roundabout point I want to make is bring back gen 1 Hyper Beam

this, but bring it back in full, with the pixel beam and grating noise (which i think they already brought back iirc)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm interested to learn exactly how the replaced move correlates with the base power of a Z-Move.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

this, but bring it back in full, with the pixel beam and grating noise (which i think they already brought back iirc)

you remember correctly

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Bongo Bill posted:

I'm interested to learn exactly how the replaced move correlates with the base power of a Z-Move.

Electro Ball (Probably 80power) 160
Nuzzle (20) 100
Thunderbolt (90) 175

Straight 80 power up and it gets higher as the move increases in power?

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Was Thunderbolt actually still at 90 or is it back to 95? I never checked while pikachu was still in the party, though I guess somebody would have reported that by now.

If not, it's probably just something simple like 100 is the min-damage and 175 is the max damage with the move power being calculated as BPx2. Nuzzle went up to the min, Electro Ball worked out fine and Thunderbolt hit the max. In Gen 5 there were 210BP Draco Meteors thanks to type gems which they probably felt was too much compared to 180BP close combats.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Thunderbolt is still 90. I don't think we'll be able to deduce how much of a power boost Z moves get unless something gets data mined out, or until the full game launches. If the move has its own special formula for determining BP, it's not gonna be able to be data mined.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

wishlist: make Haze and Torment priority moves, somehow nerf evasion or buff anti-evasion options, return Hyper Beam to its former glory, nerf u-turn, and thats the important stuff

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Battle Bond Greninja was confirmed to be a separate form from regular Greninja. In case anyone was worried about Protean Greninja.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Good. Protean Greninja = Awesome. Greninja that looks like anime dork = terrible.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I'm predicting that Battle Bond Greninja will also be in the No Eggs group and can't be bred. Similar to Cosplay Pikachu.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Electro Ball (Probably 80power) 160
Nuzzle (20) 100
Thunderbolt (90) 175

Straight 80 power up and it gets higher as the move increases in power?

Electro Ball's power is based on the Speed difference between the two Pokemon. It can range from 60BP if the opponent is 50% faster and 150BP if the target's 25% slower. So having it set at 160BP might not be a huge upgrade depending on the circumstances. But no one really uses Electro Ball, so it's not a huge deal.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Crosspeice posted:

Electro Ball's power is based on the Speed difference between the two Pokemon. It can range from 60BP if the opponent is 50% faster and 150BP if the target's 25% slower. So having it set at 160BP might not be a huge upgrade depending on the circumstances. But no one really uses Electro Ball, so it's not a huge deal.

I used Electro Ball with my Galvantula. :saddowns:

I guess the main story doesn't count though. Does the Paralysis speed drop affect Electro Ball's power? I never figured out if so.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

AlphaKretin posted:

I used Electro Ball with my Galvantula. :saddowns:

I guess the main story doesn't count though. Does the Paralysis speed drop affect Electro Ball's power? I never figured out if so.

It does, but the paralysis speed drop has been nerfed.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dr. Fetus posted:

Power Up Punch isn't a TM anymore. :rip: Mega Kangaskhan.

RIP megas in general it looks like, the new VGC format does not allow mega pokemon and because you can't transfer items across games they could actually keep the megas in the old games forever if they wanted to

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

what a weird thing to do

if they do bury megas forever, they had better give the pokemon with mega evolutions actual evolutions to compensate. pidgeot and beedrill don't deserve this

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

They're not burying Megas forever.

They'll be back in the next format. They wouldn't bother putting the Mega stones in the game if they were burying them.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

less laughter posted:

The Unown will get their own Z move in which the entire alphabet as well as ! and ? team up to pummel the opponent to death with the power of literacy

Alphabeat Up

why did it take two pages before this obvious joke, jeez

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They're gonna want to keep Megas around if only for remakes. But I can see it being de-emphasised whenever new gens are out, so they can focus more on whichever gimmick or new mechanics are in the new games. Until like maybe the 3rd game of each gen.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Manatee Cannon posted:

what a weird thing to do

if they do bury megas forever, they had better give the pokemon with mega evolutions actual evolutions to compensate. pidgeot and beedrill don't deserve this

Design-wise several of them like Mega Heracross could easily be turned into a regular evolution and no one would notice the difference. It really looks like a whole other species instead of a powered-up form of regular Heracross.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the whole mega thing is kind of hit and miss with the designs but it really would kind of suck if they were phased out over time. ideally gamefreak would give megas/z-moves/regional forms to pokemon that need a little more attention as they move forward in making games.

i really love the whole regional form thing because it's 1 step closer to various breeding forms that people have been drawing fanart of for forever

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
what I want: Battle Bond Meowth belonging to Team Rocket.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
In a recent comment it looks like that leaker who was leaking using riddles may have said that the starters' secret has been scrapped. It actually wouldn't be the first time something advertised in Corocoro wasn't followed up on such as when it said that Zorua would have an all new evolution method.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the secret is that they're all fire/fighting

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Dexie posted:

They're not burying Megas forever.

They'll be back in the next format. They wouldn't bother putting the Mega stones in the game if they were burying them.

He said, forgetting Soul Dew and Gems.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

less laughter posted:

Design-wise several of them like Mega Heracross could easily be turned into a regular evolution and no one would notice the difference. It really looks like a whole other species instead of a powered-up form of regular Heracross.

Mega Mawile and Mega Audino should also be regular evolutions.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Mega Mawile and Mega Audino should also be regular evolutions.

agreed

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Eviolites for all

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Please do not allow people to use Mega Mawile + Item.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Items ruined pokemon