Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

ErIog posted:

There is also a teensy tiny eentsy weentsy bit of sexism here on the male side, by the way too. Like if Obama had showed up to one of the debates in an all white suit [...] people would have lost their loving minds.

Pssh he would just be roleplaying God ain't nobody gonna gently caress with God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

This election is the best election. :allears:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

What male politicians (or really any man of even a slight level of stature) wear might get talked about more if there were anything to talk about. You've got what, tux or not, one of two (now three) potential suit colors, two colors of tie, and flag pin Y/N? Not to excuse the inherent sexism of women of stature being judged on their clothes and appearance, but men's clothing is just too boring to do anything with.

If only Obama had worn the golden space emperor cloak.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

chumbler posted:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Did the campaign plant the "abuela" seed, or were they just savvy enough to own it when it started catching on?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Mmk. I think the UFO people are right. All the cool people are aliens. :stare:

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
so I guess this "HILLARY COMMITTED TREASON BY REVEALING HOW LONG IT TAKES US TO LAUNCH A NUKE" angle is going to be a thing. Perpetual outrage machine is running on fumes.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Xibanya posted:

Clotheschat can be the result of sexism but given we just spent pages and pages actually discussing the content of the debate I think we can be permitted some as a palate cleanser after discussing the possible end of peaceful democratic transition in the US. Also clothes are interesting as a means of communicating a message anyway.

and trunp, if he cant dress himself, can pay someone to do it reasonably well. i mean, he looks well enough put together that, if you ran into him on the street, youd have to look at his hair to figure out hes a raving lunatic. while clintons leading wardrobe chat, it is the one event that Donald Trump's hair seems to be playing the same league as her

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

chumbler posted:

Just think of all the stunning outfits Sky Admiral President Bachmann could have had by now if she had won in 2012.

Can't decide if her outfit there or that time she was forced to pour water for all the male candidates at the values voters summit was the weirdest Bachmann-related moment of the 2012 GOP primary cycle.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

negativeneil posted:

so I guess this "HILLARY COMMITTED TREASON BY REVEALING HOW LONG IT TAKES US TO LAUNCH A NUKE" angle is going to be a thing. Perpetual outrage machine is running on fumes.

I feel like somebody should tell them about the Four Minute Warning.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Ailes totally harassed one of Trump's daughters, didn't he?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

stone cold posted:

But did we talk about what he was wearing? This is 100% a gender thing. :colbert:

obama watchchat was definitely A Thing especially when he'd go shoot a gun or something and conspicuously swap it out for like a g-shock

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ErIog posted:

Can't decide if her outfit there or that time she was forced to pour water for all the male candidates at the values voters summit was the weirdest Bachmann-related moment of the 2012 GOP primary cycle.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
How bad was the debate?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It occurred to me I'd never seen any baby pictures of the Obama kids so I googled some and :kimchi:

I say this every couple of pages in the misogynoir thread but I just can't really express enough how much it means to me that this is the First Family

Edit: There's supposed to be three photos but two of them aren't showing up for me, idk.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rinkles posted:

Did the campaign plant the "abuela" seed, or were they just savvy enough to own it when it started catching on?

I think the campaign said something like "she's like your abuela" but who knows if that was the start.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

the difference here is that obama is fitting in while bush and putin got pranked by whoever told them to wear ao dai

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Lightning Knight posted:

I feel like somebody should tell them about the Four Minute Warning.

Or, like, Minutemen.
I mean it's in the name, you guys.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

negativeneil posted:

There's really only so much distance from Missile Silo A to Soviet Tank Farm B and its not like flight times for ICBMs are unknown. To be honest, poo poo was far scarier under the 24 hour alerts/flight systems, mainly because we almost nuked ourselves multiple times and only through the grace of 10 cents worth of electronics did the bombs not go off when we either accidentally dropped them in the Carolina silt or crashed them into Iceland.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

I like totally don't dispute that we had a very nice debate analysis going on here for like the past two hundred pages or whatever, and I totally get that it's a palate cleanser.

But the person I replied to said explicitly that it wasn't a gender thing, and it is. Like yeah, you can point to outfits President Obama has worn that were talked about-dad jeans, tan suit-but I guarantee every single outfit Hillary has ever worn since she entered politics has been scrutinized by the media. Ditto for Michelle. It's a gender thing.

I don't mind discussing how stylin' our Dread Abuela is. But that's something we should be cognizant of.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Ash Crimson posted:

How bad was the debate?

It depends on how comfortable you are with saying President Clinton come January, cause she had it on lock-down tonight.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lightning Knight posted:

Mmk. I think the UFO people are right. All the cool people are aliens. :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqhJfjbNuQg

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ErIog posted:

There is also a teensy tiny eentsy weentsy bit of sexism here on the male side, by the way too. Like if Obama had showed up to one of the debates in an all white suit or boss as gently caress pinstripes or something people would have lost their loving minds.

Doesn't really compare to the scrutiny women get about their clothes, but I wish a bit more variety was tolerated on the male side.
For all the posters who aren't regulars in the political cartoons thread as well as this one: Remember that one time Obama wore that nice tan suit?

Mike Lester has had him in that tan suit in about half his cartoons since then. It's a loving thing.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Speaking of palate cleansers
https://twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/789000322194825216

yes yes yes yes YES

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

DACK FAYDEN posted:

For all the posters who aren't regulars in the political cartoons thread as well as this one: Remember that one time Obama wore that nice tan suit?

Mike Lester has had him in that tan suit in about half his cartoons since then. It's a loving thing.

I feel like that's more of an issue of racism.

Nobody would've given a gently caress if Bill wore a tan suit.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Oct 20, 2016

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

negativeneil posted:

If by a thing, you mean something that gets posted on Reddit once, and is then promptly forgotten about?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lol did they think the time it would take us to get a nuke in the air wasn't widely known? What difference does it make anyway in a MAD scenario where they're all going at once as soon as the first is detected

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

boner confessor posted:

plus since hillary was first lady for the majority of the 90's there is a veritable gold mine of lovely fashion trends to be dug up here

just like al gore's sweaty dick

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
People who were old enough to pay attention at the time: What was with Clinton and the McDonalds thing? Product placement? Dogwhistling "Real American"-ness?

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

People who were old enough to pay attention at the time: What was with Clinton and the McDonalds thing? Product placement? Dogwhistling "Real American"-ness?

Bill Clinton loved McDonalds

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

yeah he was just a chubby redneck at heart

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

"Real American"-ness?

also clinton was an old school midcentury egg mcmuffin fatass before he had like six heart attacks and became a vegan

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
arkansas has had a historic problem w/ hookworms due to the prevalence of not wearing shoes there which, when contracted as a child and left untreated, results in a specific type of retardation

also they love mcd's there

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i like to imagine that if first laddie ever eats another bite of meat he'll explode like a lemming

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

boner confessor posted:

i like to imagine that if first laddie ever eats another bite of meat he'll explode like a lemming

:staredog: what kind of lemmings are you hanging out with

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

boner confessor posted:

also clinton was an old school midcentury egg mcmuffin fatass before he had like six heart attacks and became a vegan

pics?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

it's really funny though that PETA chose to protest Clinton multiple times when Bill is basically the face of Veganism in the US right now and Trump's kids are big game hunters and he's a crass blowhard who ruins every steak he eats by ordering it super well done

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Which First Family has the most awkward old family photos?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

:staredog: what kind of lemmings are you hanging out with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDEY7kGKf34

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Censored Bones
Oct 11, 2016
So Colbert was on point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMAuk5D6h1w

quote:

Ooh, suspense! Democracy's going to end in a cliffhanger.
I guess we're all going to have to wait until November 9 to find out if we still have a country.
If Donald Trump is the mood for a peaceful transfer of power, or if he's going to wipe his fat rear end with the constitution.
:eyepop:

• Locked thread