Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Reginald Barclay, the perfect representation of the average federation citizen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'm suggesting that most Federation citizens would probably see 40 hours of work a week as being an unusually long work schedule.

Maybe they work 9-5 4 days a week. :colbert:

I was really just using it as a turn of phrase for "the regular routine". We've seen people who are dissatisfied with their lot in life in the Federation before.

cenotaph posted:

Reginald Barclay, the perfect representation of the average federation citizen.

I mean, he wasn't the only person working there. Barclay was going outside of his regular work hours to hang out in his simulated Voyager. But the general work/life setup seemed pretty similar to what we're used to.

(Anyways, I feel like Barclay is exactly the type of person who would be tempted to join the Borg, haha. Maybe not him specifically, but people like him.)

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 19, 2016

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I mean, the basic premise you're presenting is "what if a big spacefaring civilization rolled up one day and said 'hey free citizenship for anyone who wants to come along!'" so I guess the question is what would make the Borg doing this particularly scarier than if it were, say, a bunch of random not-cyborgs who just happened to like tooling around on a giant spaceship all year long? Should the Federation be so afraid of brain drain that they would implement Soviet-style emigration control?

In regards to this point again... they could just be presenting this personable front to the Federation, but still using the old assimilation tactics in other parts of the galaxy. And once they have enough drones, it would be too easy for the Queen to just flip a switch and have them all attack Earth. The last thing they need is for their vulnerable people to be giving themselves willingly to the Collective.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

thexerox123 posted:

In regards to this point again... they could just be presenting this personable front to the Federation, but still using the old assimilation tactics in other parts of the galaxy. And once they have enough drones, it would be too easy for the Queen to just flip a switch and have them all attack Earth. The last thing they need is for their vulnerable people to be giving themselves willingly to the Collective.

So would they use this tactic on the other Alpha Quadrant superpowers? 'Cause the Klingons would spoil that real quick.

"Hey Federation dudes, those borg are kinda loving up all our poo poo without honor and turning our dead against us." would sour Borg relations with the feds real quick, and that particular bit of diplomacy would fail for the other superpowers, making the whole thing pointless when "faceless automotons who will take you and your cool poo poo" seems to work just fine unless they are stupid enough to just send 1 single ship for their "invasions" of Earth instead of a whole goddamned fleet.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So it looks like Google bought(?) the rights to CBS TV starting in January, so Trek on Google perhaps? YouTube Red? Something. Probably kills any chance of US Netflix anyway

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
LOL @ http://www.cbs.com/shows/star-trek-discovery/

Stream every episode of Trek EVER!

you must scroll offscreen to find Enterprise

they use a picture of the NCC-1701 instead of NX-01

:iceburn:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Phimosissy posted:

Clearly they have great respect for prequel shows, and

:v:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

MrJacobs posted:

So would they use this tactic on the other Alpha Quadrant superpowers? 'Cause the Klingons would spoil that real quick.

"Hey Federation dudes, those borg are kinda loving up all our poo poo without honor and turning our dead against us." would sour Borg relations with the feds real quick, and that particular bit of diplomacy would fail for the other superpowers, making the whole thing pointless when "faceless automotons who will take you and your cool poo poo" seems to work just fine unless they are stupid enough to just send 1 single ship for their "invasions" of Earth instead of a whole goddamned fleet.

It's not like the Klingons did much to stop the previous Borg attacks on the Federation...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Were there ever any Klingon Borg?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

thexerox123 posted:

It's not like the Klingons did much to stop the previous Borg attacks on the Federation...

Only because it took too drat long for them to show up, but they gave support before Wolf359. Old Admiral Mcdeadguy said as much in BOBW part 1.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

MrJacobs posted:

Only because it took too drat long for them to show up, but they gave support before Wolf359. Old Admiral Mcdeadguy said as much in BOBW part 1.

But Voyager ruins everything and said that they took heavy losses in a separate battle.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Cojawfee posted:

According to Memory Alpha it looks like they showed up in Voyager and First Contact.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I did like that they started using more foreheads as borg as it went on, but it's sort of a shame they didn't do more with that in terms of makeup. Latex, plus whiteface, plus lots of weird black metal bits means that the drones all tend to have this neutral appearance. It conveys the assimilation idea, but it also makes it super hard to tell what their original species is supposed to be and the prevalence of a certain type of extra among the borgs (stone-faced white guys), meant that the insane diversity of their origins never really came across.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cojawfee posted:

One showed up in Unimatrix Zero.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Duckbag posted:

I did like that they started using more foreheads as borg as it went on, but it's sort of a shame they didn't do more with that in terms of makeup. Latex, plus whiteface, plus lots of weird black metal bits means that the drones all tend to have this neutral appearance. It conveys the assimilation idea, but it also makes it super hard to tell what their original species is supposed to be and the prevalence of a certain type of extra among the borgs (stone-faced white guys), meant that the insane diversity of their origins never really came across.

I'm not sure if you fully appreciate what production was like for a 26-episode-per-season show in the (mostly) pre-digital era.

I guarantee nearly every "why didn't they do [really cool VFX thing]?" brought up in the last ten pages was brought up back then, and shot down with some combination of time constraints, budget constraints, insufficient manpower or union rules.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 20, 2016

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

McSpanky posted:

I'm not sure if you fully appreciate what production was like for a 26-episode-per-season show in the (mostly) pre-digital era.

I guarantee nearly every "why didn't they do [really cool VFX thing]?" brought up in the last ten pages was brought up back then, and shot down with some combination of time constraints, budget constraints, insufficient manpower or union rules.

It's even nuttier when you think about when they had two shows on at once. 52 new episodes per year. Different production teams obviously but no wonder Star Trek burnout happened.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Duckbag posted:

I think the first generation black-and-white Borg you just described were from a time when the Borg may have been intended to all be the same species.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Phimosissy posted:

Having been slogging through season one of ENT lately, this just makes me respect CBS more.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

CBS seems to be backing the gently caress off from maintaining their own streaming service; they just announced a partnership with YouTube and their new TV-streaming thingy, having sold Star Trek right to Netflix. What a clusterfuck this'll all be 5 years down the line.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Probably for the best. Youtube works.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Cojawfee posted:

There was even a toy! I just saw this about a minute ago.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Mokotow posted:

CBS seems to be backing the gently caress off from maintaining their own streaming service; they just announced a partnership with YouTube and their new TV-streaming thingy, having sold Star Trek right to Netflix. What a clusterfuck this'll all be 5 years down the line.

I can see it now; After a single season on CBS All Access, CBS desperately shifts the show to YouTube Red, yet another paid streaming service I have zero interest in.

Hope you like PewDiePie, he's this week's special guest star! :suicide:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Every week we'll have another screaming trailer reaction star as a red shirt and then the weekly unboxing video at the end of each episode.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

The one I remember shows up commanding a Sphere as Voyager attacks a Cube.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Kibayasu posted:

The one I remember shows up commanding a Sphere as Voyager attacks a Cube.

This is the problem with post-First Contact Borg in a nutshell. They shouldn't have "commanders" or even communicate vocally. Even in Best of Both Worlds they had Locutus watching the attack on a viewscreen. I realize this was probably due to production limitations, but the Borg as a hivemind really went off the rails very quickly.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

This is the problem with post-First Contact Borg in a nutshell. They shouldn't have "commanders" or even communicate vocally. Even in Best of Both Worlds they had Locutus watching the attack on a viewscreen. I realize this was probably due to production limitations, but the Borg as a hivemind really went off the rails very quickly.

No, they freed a bunch of Borg and that Klingon took command of the sphere full of freed Borg.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Voyager just took everything interesting about Star Trek and ruined it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cojawfee posted:

Voyager just took everything interesting about Star Trek and ruined it.

Correct.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Voyager is pretty entertaining sometimes as a lame-trombone Star Trek comedy/parody.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Voyager does have a few high concept sci-fi episodes but you have to trudge through so much poo poo to get to them. There are three interesting epsiodes: The clown one, the fast time planet one, and the fake history warpship one. I will throw in the 37s as a bonus because that is the epitome of an interesting idea paired with an episode with no planned budget.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

The episode with the dinosaurs (Distant Origin) is some good old-fashioned allegorical Trek.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
tuvix was murdered. #justicefortuvix

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah, I feel like most of the time Voyager was straight up writing in the wrong genre. Even with all the ~anomalies~ they ran into, there are more episodes that feel like horror or action or bad soaps than straight up scifi.

Other decent scifi episodes include the one where the ship gets copied and one with Jason Alexander evil thinktank. I guess year of hell was pretty sci-fiy too, but at this point were' just listing all the good episodes.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Locutus isn't a commander, he's a mouthpiece, as his name implies. He's the unit through which the Borg is making its demands known to Starfleet. But yeah nobody cared about writing some kind of hive mind, evil bald lady would make a better weekly villain anyway, right?

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

skasion posted:

Locutus isn't a commander, he's a mouthpiece, as his name implies. He's the unit through which the Borg is making its demands known to Starfleet. But yeah nobody cared about writing some kind of hive mind, evil bald lady would make a better weekly villain anyway, right?

Huh, I just thought Locutus was a cool-sounding villian name.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Law Cheetah posted:

tuvix was murdered. #justicefortuvix

#dicksoutfortuvix

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel
The concept of Unimatrix Zero, with a resistance group made up of former borg drones, was actually pretty interesting. Shame they never did much with it.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

skasion posted:

Locutus isn't a commander, he's a mouthpiece, as his name implies.

Wow, that's been sitting in front of me for 25 years and I never caught that.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I just realized the other day that "Betazed" was probably a portmanteau of "beta" and "zed" and not a native word.

MA confirms it's in the "beta zeta" system.

They clearly are just a repeat of the Deltans because they even have the same confusion about how stars are named.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Wow, that's been sitting in front of me for 25 years and I never caught that.

yeah he's literally an interlocutor. took me a few years but I guess I first saw the episode when I was like 7