Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

People really, really hate when NPCs step in and solve the case for you. Calling people on their bullshit is the core gameplay mechanic so when Klavier steps in and raises the same objection you've been looking for a chance to call out the entire trial it's just about the worst possible misstep these games can make.

There are a lot of reasons AA4 suffers in comparison to the rest of series but that's the one that really sticks with me. For that reason alone I prefer Nahyuta as the prosecutor even though he's less entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Ledgy posted:

I think the worst part is that in AA4, he has an obvious possible character arc that is never really expanded upon. The dude clearly has huge pressure coming from his brother, I mean, the guys sport almost the same haircut, but they only have a couple lines between eachother. What a shame.

Toss this into the pile of AA7 ideas and prosecutors Athena needs to face off with. We never really get a satisfying Klavier arc considering he discovers some horrible truths about his older brother and a close friend in short order. Here's a young man with two successful careers (I think a lot of folks will disagree but just go with it for a minute), financially wants for nothing, can probably have whatever causal relationship he pleases, but his personal life is a loving mess. I wonder if Klavier would become more interesting if you had Athena picking up on his deflective helpfulness at every turn and frustrating the poo poo out of him?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I really like Klavier in investigation segments, because you get to both see past his facade and have constructive chats that lead you closer to solving the case.

He's just an awful prosecutor, because he spends most of his time either raising objections that should be Apollo's and dropping hints for you, or withholding key evidence, feeding lines to the killer and pressuring witnesses into lying under oath. He never gets called out on the latter, and the game will not let you forget that he's an honest duck who plays fair.

E: He's still a better prosecutor than Nahyuta, and a much better character. I can't even imagine the shitshow that AA8's prosecutor will be.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 19, 2016

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Calico Heart posted:

Klavier is a cool fun character. Dunno why he's so hated when he's bursting with personality and from what I remember not an outright rear end in a top hat. After playing a game where the prosecutor has all the character of a bowl of oatmeal I dunno how you all can poo poo on Klavier so much.

:same:

The air guitar and the fact I don't want to reach into my 3DS and strangle him makes up for a lot.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Also of all the prosecutor gimmicks in the franchise, "eurotrash glam rock star" is by far the lamest.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Nate RFB posted:

Also of all the prosecutor gimmicks in the franchise, "eurotrash glam rock star" is by far the lamest.

It's better than Nayuta's "The accused is guilty because God said so" ad nauseam, and a large percentage of his rebuttals just being "Let it go and move on"

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Nope.

The worst though is probably the fact that not only is he a "rock start" prosecutor, his whole band is apparently made up of prosecutors/detectives.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
work colleagues starting a band

loving impossible

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Daryan's breakdown was pretty amusing.

E: I'm having a conversation about the AA series at large in a Discord with people who haven't gotten around to this game yet and I don't want to spoil them so I'll get some stuff off my chest here.

Case 3 has another sympathetic culprit after arguably 2-3
The game has some pretty strong contenders for second best theme behind Great Revival
It has a better final point than AA5's triple point

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 19, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

HenryEx posted:

work colleagues starting a band

loving impossible
And it's terrible when it happens in real life, too!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Klavier's animations were also really good unlike Nahyuta's which were either dumb or overdone.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Klavier's animations were also really good unlike Nahyuta's which were either dumb or overdone.

That's more plus for Apollo Justice than it is for Klavier.

That game had some great animations.

I want to say also that I think the average quality of the soundtrack in this game is just kind of ok, but that it has some of the best laid back themes in the series (I want that case opening music to be a mainstay, it's so loving good).

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

well Klaviers animations are from aa4 which is the best looking game in the series

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Rangpur posted:

People really, really hate when NPCs step in and solve the case for you. Calling people on their bullshit is the core gameplay mechanic so when Klavier steps in and raises the same objection you've been looking for a chance to call out the entire trial it's just about the worst possible misstep these games can make.

There are a lot of reasons AA4 suffers in comparison to the rest of series but that's the one that really sticks with me. For that reason alone I prefer Nahyuta as the prosecutor even though he's less entertaining.

Pretty much. These people are obstacles before they're characters, so even though Nahyuta has almost nothing going for him in the end, he's still better than Klavier.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

AlphaKretin posted:

Case 3 has another sympathetic culprit after arguably 2-3

I think you're forgetting the saddest, most sympathetic culprit in the entire franchise.

"I wasn't strong enough." :cry:

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
That one struck a nerve for sure

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Oh, oh geez, oh poo poo, I did. Man I'm forgetting AA stuff left and right tonight.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Like I legit had water in my eyes during that case. :(

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Acro wasn't particularly sympathetic, I don't think. I had more sympathy for someone like Ini Miney or Dee Vasques than the dude who schemed to murder a child. A child his brother loved and to whose father he owed his entire livelihood.

Personally, though, as far as sympathetic killers go:

"In my world, the color red doesn't exist. These must be... my tears."

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Is that... the DLC case from AA5? I never actually finished that one, and lost the 3DS where I had it downloaded. Given that Nintendo is awful about transferring purchases to a new machine, and I didn't want to pay $25 to see the last--I assumed--10 minutes of a case, I never actually finished it. Sounds like it went in a different direction than I expected, so well done there.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Godot was a pretty lovely person and that whole situation was created by him so he could be The Hero in saving Maya.

Though if we're being honest, the whole part with him being the killer always felt kinda tacked on to me. Maybe it's because I didn't see it coming, but it really felt like the writers went "Well we've taken care of Dahlia, time to wrap up. Wait, we didn't actually write in a murder, poo poo. Uh, it was Godot. Sure."

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

A child his brother loved

That worked out incredibly well for him

gently caress case 2-3

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Lurdiak posted:

I think you're forgetting the saddest, most sympathetic culprit in the entire franchise.

"I wasn't strong enough." :cry:

Worst part is, you're absolutely right.

At least he got rehabilitated and was allowed back to his workplace. :unsmith:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Rangpur posted:

Is that... the DLC case from AA5? I never actually finished that one, and lost the 3DS where I had it downloaded. Given that Nintendo is awful about transferring purchases to a new machine, and I didn't want to pay $25 to see the last--I assumed--10 minutes of a case, I never actually finished it. Sounds like it went in a different direction than I expected, so well done there.

In my opinion, the best twist in any case.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

T&T:

Momomo posted:

Godot was a pretty lovely person and that whole situation was created by him so he could be The Hero in saving Maya.

Though if we're being honest, the whole part with him being the killer always felt kinda tacked on to me. Maybe it's because I didn't see it coming, but it really felt like the writers went "Well we've taken care of Dahlia, time to wrap up. Wait, we didn't actually write in a murder, poo poo. Uh, it was Godot. Sure."

Eh, it ties into his traditionalist/sexist mindset about protecting women and his selfish sense of pride. Both of those things are core to his character considering the way he reacted to Mia's death and Phoenix. Thematically it felt completely appropriate.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 19, 2016

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Finally finished case 5. Most things panned out as i expected them to, the only thing that blindsided me (and really was the last piece i needed to tie all my expectations together into a working package) was Dhurke already being dead at casically the start of the game. Yeah okay, that makes the times fit, but i don't think we got a single hint towards that until the point in case 5 where he mentioned "uh i'll be gone soon sorry" and that was after Inga's murder already.

Game also had me second-guessing myself into stupidity, since in the baby picture iimmediately assumed it was Amara and Rayfa, and then the game goes "nope that was 23 years ago, that's Nahyuta" and i go wtf? Okay? Didn't think much of the book then, since it hadn't been cleared how exactly the timeline went back then and how quickly Dhurke freed Amara.

I also call bullshit on Maya not saying anything about the whole channeling Dhurke thing after he was gone at least! This isn't her first rodeo, she should know better than to be one of the "mmh but it's a promise!" witnesses! Especially since she knew it's PW's and AJ's life on the line. Come on, game.

Also kinda weird that no one ever even entertained the notion of Ga'ran not having spiritual power until the very last moment of Lazer Lines. We've been spending the entier game ahndling the founder's orb and what it does, and tons of circumstantial evidence, and then people remember it only at the last possible second. Wasn't much of a fan of Ga'ran in general, kind of a lame last boss, and the breakdown wasn't too great either.

I'm almost feeling like the breakdowns and "heavy hits" have been kinda getting worse since the jump to 3D in general, honestly. The only remarkable one in DD was the chalkboard one (don't remember the case number), and i can't really remember any of the ones in SoJ except the rakugou one because it had a kinda funny punchline in a "Frank Sahwit" way. Too bad the culprit themselves was kinda ugh.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Case 5 Day 2 Investigation

I know that anime cutscene was supposed to be Datz and Inmee leading the rebels to protest, but it totally looked like Datz just yelled "gently caress THE REGIME", ran to the temple, started throwing haymakers, and then Inmee just happened to also bring a crowd.

Also Datz is the best character in the series.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

HenryEx posted:

Finally finished case 5. Most things panned out as i expected them to, the only thing that blindsided me (and really was the last piece i needed to tie all my expectations together into a working package) was Dhurke already being dead at casically the start of the game. Yeah okay, that makes the times fit, but i don't think we got a single hint towards that until the point in case 5 where he mentioned "uh i'll be gone soon sorry" and that was after Inga's murder already.

There were two pretty good hints: Inga being completely shocked to hear from him was one, and Dhurke having absolutely no memory of anything after going into the temple is the other.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I was really impressed how well it explained his testimony. I assumed it would just be amnesia nonsense.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

There were two pretty good hints: Inga being completely shocked to hear from him was one, and Dhurke having absolutely no memory of anything after going into the temple is the other.

I assumed he was knocked out after entering the temple and then killed while unconscious, being then channeled with knife in hand over dead Inga. it was the first thing i thought of when he said what he remembered happening. I immediately thought Maya was currently channeling as i was speaking to him in the detainment cell (due to the black hair), but then the game went "nope, Maya is in the hospital, she's fine" and i was at a loss for a while WHO was channeling. Was never a doubt in my mind that Dhurke was dead af and being refrigerated in a coffin from the start of the investigation (well okay, some doubt that was immediately cleared when he said "sorry Apollo about what you're gonna find out"), i just couldn't tie together the exact timeline since his time of death was so far off.
As for Inga being surprised, i don't remember the shock being that huge. Probably because we only "heard" him over the phone and didn't see a comically exaggerated facial expression. I assumed he was baffled that he was speaking with his extortion target PW in America one second, and the next second the line had been hijacked by the notorious rebel leader of his country. That would give anyone pause, no deaths involved.

Considering everything else can be seen coming from quite a while away with explicit hints, it's really the one thing that's a little out there and not too well defined ahead of time.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

HenryEx posted:

I assumed he was knocked out after entering the temple and then killed while unconscious, being then channeled with knife in hand over dead Inga. it was the first thing i thought of when he said what he remembered happening. I immediately thought Maya was currently channeling as i was speaking to him in the detainment cell (due to the black hair), but then the game went "nope, Maya is in the hospital, she's fine" and i was at a loss for a while WHO was channeling. Was never a doubt in my mind that Dhurke was dead af and being refrigerated in a coffin from the start of the investigation (well okay, some doubt that was immediately cleared when he said "sorry Apollo about what you're gonna find out"), i just couldn't tie together the exact timeline since his time of death was so far off.
As for Inga being surprised, i don't remember the shock being that huge. Probably because we only "heard" him over the phone and didn't see a comically exaggerated facial expression. I assumed he was baffled that he was speaking with his extortion target PW in America one second, and the next second the line had been hijacked by the notorious rebel leader of his country. That would give anyone pause, no deaths involved.

Considering everything else can be seen coming from quite a while away with explicit hints, it's really the one thing that's a little out there and not too well defined ahead of time.

As far as the detainment cell part is concerned, they did hint that black hair would be involved because they had L'Belle brand hair coloring in Inga's room for no other reason, I guess maybe if he was greying or something.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Oh my God, the 4th case actually does revovle around rakugo and karuta cards. I thought everyone who mentioned that was taking the piss. To be fair the game does an okay job of explaining them, but I feel like most of it would be flying over my head were it not for a couple recent anime. (Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju and Chihayafuru, respectively, fwiw.)

Sometimes it feels like the scenario writers at Capcom go out of their way to troll the localizers who decided to set Phoenix Wright in the US. I look forward to the next game, in which the Prime Minister of California is arrested for a murder committed on the bullet train, and the only clue is a Mahjong hand that only counts as a win in obscure local variants.

edit: and the murderer is a member of the Emperorer of America's personal staff.
edit2: also the motive for the crime revolves around California's claim to the Sakhalin Islands.

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Oct 20, 2016

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

aa7 character: my name is kenji. i play a japanese sport known as kendo

aa thread: holy poo poo, the mad men. can't believe how hard they just trolled the localizers.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Rakugo and Karuta are considered old fashioned as hell, even in Japan. C'mon man.

eat your hamburgers, apollo

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

my favorite moment from Case 5 was when Dhurke took three bullets to the 10 ring like it was nothing. I was legit shocked that they actually showed that, just confirms that Dhurke is indeed the best

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Case 5 stuff I find it funny that Dhurke's death is the most straightforward thing in the series. He dies because Inga just loving shoots the hell out of him. That's all there is to it.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
For people who say the breakdowns have gotten lame, counter-point

(6-2) Roger Retinz. Easily in the top 5 of the series. (6-5) Paul Athician (sic) had a really good one too.

Actually, speaking of breakdowns, what are everyone's favorite in the series?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I wasn't a big fan of case 5-3, but I loved the transition and subsequent breakdown.Damon Gants is another favorite of mine.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

legoman727 posted:

Actually, speaking of breakdowns, what are everyone's favorite in the series?

I'm sure almost everyone will choose from the most insane ones so I'll go with a more modest one: 1-3

That cracking sound tells you everything you need to know. The culprit didn't need to go SSJ3 and it was still very satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
I think 2-4's still my favourite. Does that count as one of the insane ones? Simple, deserved self-mutilation!