Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I saw a DFGT in a second hand shop for £48 and it got snapped up super quick. They're still really in demand.

Also regarding clutch talk, you'll need to bind a clutch for race starts, because waiting until green to put the car in gear sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Has everyone in this thread moved beyond Assetto Corsa at this point? I still find it the most fun of the realistic Sims for PC and the easiest to make track mods for. I'm currently working on a new track for it, the road course at New Hampshire Motor Speedway. I could use some help testing it out so if anyone is interested I can send over a copy.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I still play tons of AC, just not multiplayer. That, AMS and iRacing are my most played.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I put AC on when I want to lap the Nordschleife, that's about it at this point since I uninstalled R3E and my iRacing sub lapsed. Its still good for when I just want to drive a car most of the time or check out the newest and hottest mod, but I never do any racing in it any more.

BeRandom
Mar 20, 2011
Does anyone know a good resource for building a car to mod into either AMS or rFactor?

I'm part of my school's Formula SAE team, and I'd love to build one of our recent cars into a sim. Winter is upon us and that means not getting any seat time until the snow melts. It would be hugely beneficial, especially for newer drivers, to experience our car in a sim before getting into the actual car.

It would be a fantastic learning experience, and look amazing on a resume after I graduate.
On top of all that, I'd share it with all of you when I'm done. Pssh, I'd probably ask you guys to test drive it before the final release too.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Check out the ISI rFactor forums. Probably the best place to find tutorials.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

GutBomb posted:

Has everyone in this thread moved beyond Assetto Corsa at this point? I still find it the most fun of the realistic Sims for PC and the easiest to make track mods for. I'm currently working on a new track for it, the road course at New Hampshire Motor Speedway. I could use some help testing it out so if anyone is interested I can send over a copy.

Anything that involves driving the NHMS roval a whole bunch sounds good.

BeRandom
Mar 20, 2011

njsykora posted:

Check out the ISI rFactor forums. Probably the best place to find tutorials.

Will do, thanks for the info.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Hey, there's a new beetle racing sim out there it's called Thumper a̳̰n̩̕d̟̳̟̜͔ i̩̘͖̹̮̜̳t̢̤'͕̠͖̙̝͔̬͝s̗͚̩̖ ͖̟͚̰̗͉̲r̶̜̯e̩̪͞a͓͢ͅl̤̥̬͉͍ḻ͕y͓͙ ̜́g̸oo̴̲͍͉d̬̱͎͎ ̺̮͚y̧̘̟̤̝̝ͅo͘u͉̬̞̤̺ ͙̭̮g̣̯̕u͎y̻͍̹s̡̠̣͈͙̪̙ ̴̜͓̲s͍̙̗͙̦͜h҉o̗u͞ĺ̹̜d͇̗̳̙̬͓ ͓̥̹̜͎̮̖c͚̠̰̯o̟̻̖͠m̖̺͕͚e̫ i͓͓̩̤̕n͖̘͜ͅ ̲͉̖̤̻ͅa̪̣̤͢n̢̙̲̗̟d̥ͅ s̙̖͖̹e͔̠e̴͕̲ ̱̤̙̭͉̘̫th̼̝̼͉̥̤ͅḛ ̜s҉̣̹̬i̲̱͕̬g̢̼h̖̰̪̞͔̬̦t̯̩͔͡s̢̖.͕̭̼̤͞

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
AC is the best bang for the buck for a casual player like myself. I pretty much abandoned Project Cars completely after I clocked more than a couple hours in AC. The only time I revisit it is for the tracks, not the cars or the feel of it.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Yeah AC for all my single player stuff. iRacing to piss off rednecks at Nascar

Evrim
Nov 15, 2005

yum!!
I enjoy AMS the most for how the cars feel and iRacing for the abundance of online racing. I have AC but don't tend to play it much, plus the AC netcode was much worse with my latency compared to the other two titles.

Evrim fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 12, 2016

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Aside from iRacing, does any other sim have a decent online structure and community?

(not that iRacing's community doesn't have its share of terribles too)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Aside from iRacing, does any other sim have a decent online structure and community?

(not that iRacing's community doesn't have its share of terribles too)

No. AC has the largest online player base but its still nowhere near iRacing for non-league racing.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

njsykora posted:

No. AC has the largest online player base but its still nowhere near iRacing for non-league racing.

This pretty much.

I tried out some Leauges in AC and rf2 and ended up running back to iRacing for MP.

Did they change something with the Skip in iRacing? I did a few practice laps around the nordschleife and something feels diffrent. Good diffrent

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Norns posted:

Did they change something with the Skip in iRacing? I did a few practice laps around the nordschleife and something feels diffrent. Good diffrent
Yes, they adjusted some characteristic which was generating on-throttle-understeer in the old model so the steering is much more lively under acceleration.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

njsykora posted:

it's fun but you just have to get used to improvised rolling starts

here, i uploaded some raw footage of assetto corsa multiplayer gameplay with my xbone controller:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTuUWOjohMk

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Finally got a list of cars that are gonna be in the first AC Porsche pack. Lot of numbers.

quote:

911 Carrera S,
935 Moby Dick (Group 5)
918 Spyder
Cayman GT4 Clubsport
718 Cayman S
917/30 (Can-Am)
911 Carrera RSR 3.0 1974
Plus the Panamera free car that everyone will drive once and then forget about forever as well as 1960s Silverstone. Then the AMS Brit Pack is out next week (probably). Lot of DLC coming out.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 14, 2016

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Hey guys I can't host today, so no AMS unless someone else wants to take over, I'll pick up AMS again next week with the first Boxer Cup series race.

BeRandom
Mar 20, 2011

GhostDog posted:

Hey guys I can't host today, so no AMS unless someone else wants to take over, I'll pick up AMS again next week with the first Boxer Cup series race.

Have you worked out a schedule yet?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

BeRandom posted:

Have you worked out a schedule yet?

Not really thinking that far ahead :)

We'll start off with Road Atlanta next sunday and take it from there.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I'm already getting the shakes, imagining how brutal those curbs could be if they're as slick as the Catalunya curbs... I might be able to do some laps tonight to try it out.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Yeah I don't really have much time to do test runs right now, so tell me if it's very murderous. But then again I want to do Road Atlanta no matter what.

After next weekend I'll have some more time again and will try out a bunch of tracks and create a full schedule. I'm thinking 6 to 8 races.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

The curbs are a bit slick - certainly not as bad as the last race - but the real troublemaker at RA is the bumps. You've got to be careful on the last few corners, or the car will tankslap like crazy.

I did a few laps at the Autumn variant (light track usage, 11:30am start time), and after flying off track I did three laps between 1:24.9 and 1:25.7... then I died again.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Sounds right. Also we should all buy kart racing pro and do that.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I tried playing the new Need for Speed since someone gave my Origin Access...

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I don't know what the devs were smoking. It's the worst handling I've played in years. The transition between drift and grip is just insane.

Play literally any of the criterion nfs games, particularly the first. They are all excellent arcade racers.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The Science Goy posted:

The curbs are a bit slick - certainly not as bad as the last race - but the real troublemaker at RA is the bumps. You've got to be careful on the last few corners, or the car will tankslap like crazy.

I did a few laps at the Autumn variant (light track usage, 11:30am start time), and after flying off track I did three laps between 1:24.9 and 1:25.7... then I died again.

What bumps? There's no bumps going into the 10a/b complex. Is it an old version of the track? I have a lot of fun with anything from about turn 9 through turn 12, nothing beats coming out of 10b up under the bridge and putting your foot to the floor and turning right and feeling your stomach leap as the bottom drops out for turn 11 and 12.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Oct 18, 2016

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

no bones about it posted:

What bumps? There's no bumps going into the 10a/b complex. Is it an old version of the track? I have a lot of fun with anything from about turn 9 through turn 12, nothing beats coming out of 10b up under the bridge and putting your foot to the floor and turning right and feeling your stomach leap as the bottom drops out for turn 11 and 12.

Turns 11 and 12 are the culprit, specifically in the area that you regain grip coming out of 11. It's not bad if you back down a bit and take the corner with no steering input, but if you're really on it and you slingshot through that section the back can step out a bit... and when you regain grip, you better not have any countersteer dialed in.

Basically, you can play it safe and turn a decent lap, but if you really want to lay down some fast laps you need to nail your line just right and be extra-smooth with inputs.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The Science Goy posted:

Turns 11 and 12 are the culprit, specifically in the area that you regain grip coming out of 11. It's not bad if you back down a bit and take the corner with no steering input, but if you're really on it and you slingshot through that section the back can step out a bit... and when you regain grip, you better not have any countersteer dialed in.

Basically, you can play it safe and turn a decent lap, but if you really want to lay down some fast laps you need to nail your line just right and be extra-smooth with inputs.

Eh to be fair I get down to about 60 for the 10a/b turn, and then I'm back on the gas and don't let off until I get to turn 1, but I haven't taken a prototype around Road Atlanta either, so having a poo poo ton more grip might make a difference too. I could see it being tricky with less downforce or more weight, I mostly run open wheel cars at Road Atlanta.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

no bones about it posted:

Eh to be fair I get down to about 60 for the 10a/b turn, and then I'm back on the gas and don't let off until I get to turn 1, but I haven't taken a prototype around Road Atlanta either, so having a poo poo ton more grip might make a difference too. I could see it being tricky with less downforce or more weight, I mostly run open wheel cars at Road Atlanta.

I never had an issue in that section with AMS cars like the F3 or retro formula cars, but the Boxer is definitely more of a handful because of the extra weight and the emphasis on mechanical grip instead of downforce. The rearward weight distribution doesn't help either in that section. I haven't done much with other GT cars on that track in AMS, but I do remember careening off the track quite a bit with the Copa Montana.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCiWf7WEViM

Maybe this is old, but I just found it. Did we talk about RaceRoom in here at one point?

I love how Mansell is just 'no, it's nothing like a real car' and the sim racer nerd is 'no really but like the pedals' and Mansell is like 'no, it's nothing like it'.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Fanatec just announced that they are ahead of schedule for the CSL lineup, and will begin shipping today instead of early November. All current preorders will be fulfilled, but they are very short on supplies so if you want one, get in now or be prepared to wait until the next batch.

I haven't received any tracking info yet, but I'll be watching my email closely!

E: link to Fanatec post

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Oct 20, 2016

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Tony Montana posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCiWf7WEViM

Maybe this is old, but I just found it. Did we talk about RaceRoom in here at one point?

I love how Mansell is just 'no, it's nothing like a real car' and the sim racer nerd is 'no really but like the pedals' and Mansell is like 'no, it's nothing like it'.

That's very old, it's not RaceRoom as well. It's the Formula RaceRoom from Race 07.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

njsykora posted:

That's very old, it's not RaceRoom as well. It's the Formula RaceRoom from Race 07.

Sims have gotten better but unless youre spending thousands of dollars on a sim rig and especially on your wheel/pedals etc. nigel mansell is right still. Brakes still have no feel unless you get the best set of pedals in existence, same with the clutch, gas can be excused kinda but brake and clutch feel is nonexistent. Also unless youre going with super expensive direct drive wheels youre not going to even come close to the feel of a real steering wheel in a car. Basically every sim nerd should just go out and buy race cars because theyre better.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Oct 22, 2016

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
They get better and cheaper all the time though. We aren't there yet, but it won't be too long until really good motion simulators are getting mass produced. We're already seeing the start of it with things like the racing cube. Then you add vr to that and sim racing has a lot of potential when it comes to realism in the future.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I took a break from simracing after getting my miata. So much fun zooming around the backroads in a roadster :sun:

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Wibla posted:

I took a break from simracing after getting my miata. So much fun zooming around the backroads in a roadster :sun:

This just in: Real life is more fun than computer games, details at 10.

Sim racing can easily be an expensive hobby, but it's not nearly as expensive as doing the real thing, and a mistake in real life can be dangerous and costly. It's also easier to find the time for a computer game compared to wrenching on a real car, prepping before/ during/ after an event, traveling to and from the track... not to mention that a full sim rig takes up way less space than all the stuff you need for a real car.

I did start using heel-toe occasionally in my Mazda 3 after learning how to do it in sims. Super fun, as long as I'm gentle with the clutch and don't rush the change... I'd rather not grenade my transmission!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Sure wish I could afford go drive a Lotus 49 around the Nurburgring in real life every few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Or a Lancia 037 around Finland.