Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Emissary666 posted:

Can Subject Beta complete the mission failure requirements? 'Cause I tend to keep a lot of people on defense near the mission failure point.

They did when the DLC launched but that was patched out, thankfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zyxophoj
May 24, 2014

monster on a stick posted:

They can even show up in the Avenger Defense mission by default which is just :psyduck: There's a mod to disable that but it can also disable the rulers showing up entirely.

That was patched.

They can still appear in those missions, they just can't force you to lose by sitting on the ramp and having too many HP to be killed in one turn. I think that was the correct nerf. :xcom:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
^^ too slow

White Coke
May 29, 2015

monster on a stick posted:

They can even show up in the Avenger Defense mission by default which is just :psyduck: There's a mod to disable that but it can also disable the rulers showing up entirely.

Had that happen to me with subject beta. Fortunately it wasn't the first time so she had few hit points left.

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

Something I meant to bring up earlier: It can be kind of dangerous to use Rangers to secure VIPs. More than once a misclick has lead to a bisected alien sympathizer.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Emissary666 posted:

Something I meant to bring up earlier: It can be kind of dangerous to use Rangers to secure VIPs. More than once a misclick has lead to a bisected alien sympathizer.
Sounds more like they shouldn't have been working with the aliens in the first place :colbert:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Jade opened a portal to the demon realm tonight so I fear for my safety now

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Can't wait to meet the Archon from St. John's.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Lunethex posted:

Jade opened a portal to the demon realm tonight so I fear for my safety now

Audio editing is hard :(

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

On the one hand the download link for your audio editor came from the Necronomicon. On the other hand, it's free, straightforward, and doesn't have ads.

viewtyjoe
Jan 5, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

That's because most hard root beers are just beers that are spiced to taste like regular root beer. You need the good stuff
http://www.sprecherbrewery.com/beer.php?cat=9

I'm just going to go ahead and second this, whether their actual root beer or the hard root beer. Sprecher does a drat fine job with all of their products. Supposedly you can at least get their sodas in a decent chunk of the heavily populated parts of the US besides Wisconsin where they're from.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I've had Sprechers before. I believe I sampled it on stream and my review of it was something along the lines of "It started off with a good flavor, but it left with an after taste I can only describe as... Germanic." which after some discussion and googling, we came to the conclusion that the after taste that I found to be very unpleasant was likely due to Sprechers use of malt, as a beer critic blog gave rootbeers a try and commented on the very strong malt aftertaste of Sprechers. I personally would avoid Sprechers rootbeer, but that may be subject to your palates take on strong malt flavor.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
I shall now commit Root Beer chat heresy by taking about Ginger Beer. I'm from England, and I've discovered I very much like Crabbie's alcoholic ginger beer (5% vol if I recall), it taste sweet and nothing like normal ginger beer or normal beer. I know a guy who said something like "it's doesn't taste like alcohol, so you can drink a lot of it thinking you'll be fine, but it'll still get you drunk".

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
I shall commit greater heresy by telling Jade to try other non root beer sodas such as Cheerwine, Leninade, River City Blueberry Lemonade and Sprechers Apple/cream sodas.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I like pepsi

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

LEGO Genetics posted:

I shall commit greater heresy by telling Jade to try other non root beer sodas such as... Leninade

:confused:

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
It's a lemonade drink with a hammer and sickle logo.

CrazySalamander fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Oct 20, 2016

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I had one for the first time a few months ago and it is a pretty great lemonade.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Tarezax posted:

I had one for the first time a few months ago and it is a pretty great lemonade.

It's like a party in your mouth. And everyone is getting purged.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Finally, communism in a bottle

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Lunethex posted:

Finally, communism in a bottle

Tastes like... proletariat.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

NothingToFyr
May 22, 2010
I would contribute to the ginger beer heresy. A store in these parts sells specialty sodas including ginger beer, and I've been hooked on AJ Stephan's Jamaican-Style Ginger Beer. If drank warm from the shelf, the ginger spice will kick you in the face hard enough to cause a physical reaction (My friend's reaction was hilarious), but it mellows out enough to just be really spicy when chilled. Cock & Bull is also a good brand. Much less spice, but a really good not-too-sweet flavor.

Of particular note is AJ Stephan's makes a great mixer with spiced rum. You get a 2 punch combo of the bite from the rum, and as soon as it starts settling down, the ginger spice kicks you in the teeth.

Which I do enjoy root beers and sasparillas, ginger beer stole my heart. I've always been really into spicy food, so finding spicy drinks was just a wonderful discovery.

So long as you don't mind heartburn, I would recommend it.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
I think the next Alien Ruler should have a Scottish accent.

I have no opinions on root beer.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Jade Star posted:

I've had Sprechers before. I believe I sampled it on stream and my review of it was something along the lines of "It started off with a good flavor, but it left with an after taste I can only describe as... Germanic." which after some discussion and googling, we came to the conclusion that the after taste that I found to be very unpleasant was likely due to Sprechers use of malt, as a beer critic blog gave rootbeers a try and commented on the very strong malt aftertaste of Sprechers. I personally would avoid Sprechers rootbeer, but that may be subject to your palates take on strong malt flavor.

Malt is what makes it dark though, there's no root beer without dark, toasted malts.

Or are you saying that it's not balanced and too heavy on the malt flavors? Because I can kinda see that argument

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
You know, I find myself curious. Jade, what would be the perfect root beer to you anyways? Like, name no brands, just explain what it would taste like.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zomborgon posted:

I like pepsi

Same here. I tried a Coke again recently and it tasted watered down for some reason. It wasn't great. I got it out of a vending machine so it's not like it was a problem of it being flat or something.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Pepsi tastes way too sweet for me. Coke's got a bit of a cinnamon-y taste that I like.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Bruceski posted:

Pepsi tastes way too sweet for me. Coke's got a bit of a cinnamon-y taste that I like.

It's the exact opposite for me, maybe it's region specific? Cokes way sweeter than pepsi here in scandinavia. (But dr pepper is the superior one and I wish more shops would start selling them :C )

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

Nalesh posted:

It's the exact opposite for me, maybe it's region specific? Cokes way sweeter than pepsi here in scandinavia. (But dr pepper is the superior one and I wish more shops would start selling them :C )

Possibly because you're using actual sugar instead of corn syrup? Anyway I do know that Coke here in Iceland is more heavily carbonated than elsewhere, because the first machine that was shipped here to make it was old and unreliable, so they had to make it add extra CO2 to the drink or some bottles just wouldn't be carbonated at all. And now that we have new machines and stuff, everybody is used to the taste and would complain if they reduced it.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Back to XCom for a second: How big a difference do the difficulty settings make? I know you guys play on Commander, and the lower levels adjust percentage chances to make them feel more believable (i.e. cheating) but how much does it have an effect on the rest of the gameplay, and how bad is Impossible? Does it effect the enemy AI at all, or just the density and health, and by how much? Does the overworld side of the game change at all, or does it just make the Avatar progress build up faster?

My flatmate is playing on Easy and isn't having many issues (which I wouldn't mind so much if he didn't gloat about it.), I started on Normal and after every third or fourth mission I'm putting the game down. Sometimes it's because I've just met a new kind of bastard enemy for the first real time at 2am (currently a Sectopod) and I'm really not up for that, or more commonly everything's devolved into an unsalvageable mess or gone completely awry after a bad turn or two. I know sometimes I'm moving forward too readily (although sometimes only one blue move is enough to draw the attention of something), but on some maps even when I'm not moving forward enemies will find me, and when I've had two or three pods interrupt an ongoing fight without enough of a break in action to clear them out it goes downhill very quickly.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

TheDarkFlame posted:

My flatmate is playing on Easy and isn't having many issues (which I wouldn't mind so much if he didn't gloat about it.)

Tell him he's bad and should feel bad for gloating about doing well on easy. At the very least bump up to Veteran, man. Have a little dignity.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

TheDarkFlame posted:

Back to XCom for a second: How big a difference do the difficulty settings make?

It makes a pretty big difference. There's the aiming buffs you get on Normal and Easy, enemies have lower health, fewer are spawned per map, and injury timers are changed so soldiers spend less time in the infirmary. I think manufacturing and research times may change as well to make it easier to tech up, but I'm not sure on that.

If your roomie is bragging about doing successfully on easy, rest well in the knowledge that that's the equivelant of a high school student bragging about doing well on a 5th grade math test.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I havent tried hard mode yet but normal was plenty of challange already from the perspective of a xcom 1 vet. From what i can tell you need to learn to get rid of the xcom 1 mindset and use diffrent strategies. Like going armor upgrade first felt much better than rushing guns at least on normal. How you fight the aliens has changed a bit too with the stealth mechanic and all. A stealthy ranger can be a god send of a scout to avoid all those bad encounters. Stealth scouts also help with rushing objectives.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

There are a lot of little changes which make the early game more challenging. For example going from Veteran to Commander gives ADVENT troopers 4 health, putting them out of grenade range. In general:

Rookie: Pretty easy. Not to say you can't have fun here, but this is the level for if you want to do purposefully stupid things and get away with it.
Veteran: Normal. Can be pretty challenging for some, but in general the skill level is more "don't play stupid" than "play smart." (though if you're just learning the game everything's gonna ratchet up a notch because you haven't learned how to tell what moves would qualify as "playing stupid") Recovering from a big blunder can be frustrating, but doable.
Commander: Hard difficulty, this one's for people who have a feel for the game and still want a challenge. As Jade has shown if you have a good sense of when to be conservative and when to take risks you can get through pretty solidly, but when stuff starts going wrong it can really snowball, particularly if you fall behind on tech. This is where I'd say it's possible to get the game into an unwinnable state if enough things go wrong that you need to recover from.
Legend: If you like your games hard, this is the setting for you, but don't be surprised when the game doesn't cut you any slack. And don't go looking down on folks who won't go higher than Commander, either, you chose this pain.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Brainamp posted:

It makes a pretty big difference. There's the aiming buffs you get on Normal and Easy, enemies have lower health, fewer are spawned per map, and injury timers are changed so soldiers spend less time in the infirmary. I think manufacturing and research times may change as well to make it easier to tech up, but I'm not sure on that.

Enemy AI weighting is also different, or at least it was in XCOM 1. They're much nastier on higher difficulties (for example, I hope you like grenades!) and will softball it on lower ones.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Does the game still cheat behind the scenes on rolls like it did the first game? Like if you're missing shots and getting shot yourself the game will purposfully make your next shot hit or the next enemy shot a miss?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Iny posted:

Enemy AI weighting is also different, or at least it was in XCOM 1. They're much nastier on higher difficulties (for example, I hope you like grenades!) and will softball it on lower ones.

Some enemies will granade you on normal already if you have two soldiers close to each other. Pity the granades dont have the same range as terror from the deep does :allears:

bpACH
Apr 5, 2009

Bruceski posted:

There are a lot of little changes which make the early game more challenging. For example going from Veteran to Commander gives ADVENT troopers 4 health, putting them out of grenade range.

The most immediate impact for me was that territories have a base cost of 40 intel in commander and above (vs 30 in veteran).

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

Brainamp posted:

Iny posted:

Bruceski posted:

There are a lot of little changes which make the early game more challenging. For example going from Veteran to Commander gives ADVENT troopers 4 health, putting them out of grenade range.

This is the sort of stuff I wanted to know, thanks guys. It would be nice to know if the AI really is different, and if so how substantial it is. In some games the increased difficulty is just taking fewer hits, sometimes it really changes up how you have to think and play if you want to succeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I believe the AI is more aggressive in general on higher difficulties, and will move to take advantage of flanking positions more, etc. etc.

• Locked thread