Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Crazy Ted posted:

It's still been a poo poo product this year.

I'm starting to wonder if issues related to market saturation are starting to hit the NFL. We've had a couple of years of the draft being moved to a ridiculous 3-4 day event in May so you now get four months to over-analyze it after college football ends. We've had a couple of full years of Thursday Night Football, which has mostly been crap. If the league had its way there would be an 18-game season. We have the Super Bowl in early February now, 2-3 weeks later than it was just a couple of decades ago. We have three-hour pregame shows. We have three-hour postgame shows. We have studio shows that seem like they have eighteen panelists. We're supposed to treat preseason football like it's the real thing now. We get extensive, multi-paragraph analysis of seventh-round draft picks who are highly unlikely to ever be more than marginal contributors in the league.

I think sooner or later you an overload point, and when you get to it people start to tune the product out a little bit at a time.

I think it's a combination of market saturation exacerbated by a steadily decreasing quality of play, with a league-wide attitude that the NFL could never do anything wrong.

Like a lot of people, I will watch the Lions (local team) and generally big games on Sunday night, plus a couple other teams when on Sunday or Monday. I enjoyed the first round of the draft on a Saturday morning. All of what we used to have.

Now, I don't really care about the draft, because the Stanley Cup playoffs are on. I never cared about preseason, and went from neutral to negative on it because I am ordered to care about it. I don't care about a Thursday night game involving two teams that no one cares about, and am sick of being told to care. I don't like fantasy, and hate daily fantasy, and am sick of that being a bigger and bigger part of the NFL.

Meanwhile, every network has a morning of pregame shows, plus the NFL Network's own show. Most of sports coverage is talking heads yelling nothing about the NFL, only increasing the fatigue.

Any possible fun, sincerity and spontaneity has been mandated out of the league. For some reason, the league thinks that their customer base wants heavy-handed rulings from Roger Goodell above anything else, down to teams memorializing terrorist attacks followed by the league sending out memos saying that those memorials happened because they were mandatory. Anything unique and enjoyable has been sucked out, and replaced with ever-increasing sponsorships, filler, and money grabs. There's been increasing backlash to this, but the NFL would rather grab cash without any realization of what may happen, while listening to Darren Rovell.

On the other end of things, I love college football, because it's an open-platform day where everyone can enjoy the game as they see fit. You want to tailgate all day? Go for it. You want to stand all game and chant things? Go stand with the students. You want to sit down with long-time friends and families? Youv'e got your same spots since forever. Plus, the variety of the game is still there, which makes every matchup fun to some extent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Niwrad posted:

The NBA is good because the games are short. I can turn on a national TV game at 7 and it's done by 9:30. I'm looking at almost 4 hours for a Monday Night Football game. gently caress that.
For baseball there have been a few 4 hour 9 inning games in the playoffs, and not wacky games with 30 runs scored either. It's punishing.

Spring Break My Heart fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 19, 2016

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

AsInHowe posted:

With hockey, part of that problem was having many, many years of little to no national television package like other sports do.

Up until the '90s, ESPN really didn't cover much, ABC had an occasional afternoon window of hockey, and that was it. The hockey that you were watching was your local team, and those habits stuck.

NBC has done a much better job of marketing all of hockey, but there's still only a handful of teams that are playing on the traditional NBC network in the afternoon.

dammed if nbc shows games outside the same 7 teams (rangers/flyers/penguins/caps/bruins/red wings/blackhawks)

and only one of those teams play in the west, like now they have to pray the blackhawks make the cup finals every year

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Niwrad posted:

The NBA is good because the games are short. I can turn on a national TV game at 7 and it's done by 9:30. I'm looking at almost 4 hours for a Monday Night Football game. gently caress that.

nfl games are right around 3 hours

Alain Post posted:

maybe the issue really is that there's way too much parity, and no superstar-driven teams like the NBA currently has with the Warriors/Cavs.

is this a joke?

DJExile posted:

It's also a painfully predictable product too. You know who the top 4 teams are going to be every year

You should quit your job and take up sports betting my man! The teams in last years super bowl are a combined 5-7

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Vertical Lime posted:

dammed if nbc shows games outside the same 7 teams (rangers/flyers/penguins/caps/bruins/red wings/blackhawks)

and only one of those teams play in the west, like now they have to pray the blackhawks make the cup finals every year

Every game has one of those teams, and about half have two of those teams.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

AsInHowe posted:

I think it's a combination of market saturation exacerbated by a steadily decreasing quality of play

Is it that the quality is decreasing or we're aware of all the bad football more than ever? 2/3s of the league has always been mediocre and bad its just that we didn't have as easy access to see it with sunday ticket and red zone and all the videos, gifs and stats that are readily available online and on television.

There's a similar notion with the NBA with people saying the Warriors are bad for the league and parity. Its always been a top heavy league but now that we have access to more games than ever we want more compelling teams to watch during the season.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hifi posted:

You should quit your job and take up sports betting my man! The teams in last years super bowl are a combined 5-7

Yeah I'm probably being a bit unfair here. Being in Toledo means when I did watch the NFL, it was always the Browns and Lions getting the poo poo kicked out of them. After that it was "oh hey everyone is rear end and the Patriots are going to at least the AFC championship again..." and I barely kept up with the NFC at all.

hifi posted:

nfl games are right around 3 hours

The problem though is it's 3+ hours, largely of nothing happening. When literally 6% of the broadcast involves actual gameplay, I just cannot be bothered to keep following it. At least on Saturday I can jump around different games.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
How long is an actual game of football in the NFL now, 10 minutes?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Peanut President posted:

How long is an actual game of football in the NFL now, 10 minutes?

That WSJ study a couple years ago put it at 11 minutes of actual action per game. I can't imagine it's changed much.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

If they just showed you the 10 minutes between snaps and whistles you wouldn't have a clue what was going on though. basketball and hockey have natural lulls where they are taking the sport object up the playing surface into the attacking zone or they score and reset the game. Soccer all they do is run around for 90 minutes and i'm not convinced at all there is more action than any other american sport.

I guess the point i'm trying to make here is that forced commercial breaks are one thing and annoying (although the common refrain of td-commercial-xp-commercial-punt-commercial is not quite accurate - they can skip one or all of the commercials and sometimes they will only show one instead of a full reel), game length is another thing, and the amount of game per minute of tv is another.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Soccer, basketball and hockey all largely have a certain flow to them though. Football is much more.... I'm not sure what the word is, quite honestly. "staccato" comes to mind because i'm an old band nerd but that's not entirely fair either.

It's just tough for me to really find the rhythm of football at times, especially the NFL. What's tough about it is I do like the action of football. There's spectacular poo poo going on, no question of it. NFL football just seemed to have so many breaks right as I was getting into parts of games though.

I will grant too that a number of my complaints lie more with the broadcast of the sport than the sport itself. I loved going to BG football games back before they got much TV coverage. You could watch a game and be out of there in 2 1/2 hours. Having TV exposure certainly did more to help the school than hurt it, but man it can be agony to have some great plays going on then all of a sudden the red hat guy walks out.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 19, 2016

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

hifi posted:

If they just showed you the 10 minutes between snaps and whistles you wouldn't have a clue what was going on though. basketball and hockey have natural lulls where they are taking the sport object up the playing surface into the attacking zone or they score and reset the game. Soccer all they do is run around for 90 minutes and i'm not convinced at all there is more action than any other american sport.

I guess the point i'm trying to make here is that forced commercial breaks are one thing and annoying (although the common refrain of td-commercial-xp-commercial-punt-commercial is not quite accurate - they can skip one or all of the commercials and sometimes they will only show one instead of a full reel), game length is another thing, and the amount of game per minute of tv is another.

Looking at the condensed games MLB puts together for each game, yesterday's games came in at 13:49 and 11:57, both of which were pretty low scoring games (6 runs/12 hits combined in each game). This just shows the last pitch of each plate appearance, and will show a slow motion replay of it if something exciting happened (strikeout, close play, defensive gem, etc). It'd be pretty hard to follow football if there was no time at all between plays, just like in baseball sometimes stuff happens beyond the end result.

I've never really watched football a ton, and don't bother to watch a whole game other than like the games on at Thanksgiving and the Superbowl. I pretty much just watch the 5 minute highlight videos of each game Monday morning or the day after a game. Part of it is that I live in Orange County and have never really had a team and the Rams don't really feel like my team either, I still get surprised when I see the LA next to the score on the graphic. I don't remember the last time I watched an entire NFL game outside of the Superbowl.

edit: Monday's ALCS game 3 condensed game was 19 mins long, not sure what the major differences in content are.

Good Dog fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 19, 2016

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Baseball was originally set at 9 innings to make the games last around 2 hours or less. Anything longer than that would have bored the fans, you see.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I've probably watched 5 or 6 NFL games in person, including in the states and the game flows so much better in person. On the other hand, I was at a Tigers vs Indians game in 2011, Brad Penny starting which had what felt like a 20 minute top of one inning. It wasn't particularly high scoring, it just featured almost non-stop throws to keep the runner on first and after about a dozen of these I just got up and went to the stands to get a beer, so very tedious

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

hifi posted:

The difference between soccer and football is that those guys are running around for 45 minutes a half with occasional breaks for an injury or setting up a corner. In Football the game is guys standing around for 45 minutes a quarter with occasional breaks of someone actually playing. If football had a play clock of like 15 seconds the game would be much improved, imo. If you're gonna compare football to anything the best comparison would be the game it's based on: rugby. Rugby has people standing around setting up play but the game doesn't feel nearly as boring as the NFL because poo poo actually happens, and there's not 10 minutes of review and then 15 minutes of commercials after every loving play.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

DJExile posted:

Some poor bastard sat through a full day of all the debate shows and live blogged them

TL/DR: They all talk about the same exact topics, "His & Hers" and "Highly Questionable" are the most tolerable because there's no screaming and a far more lighthearted tone.

Didnt get to PTI or ATH boo

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

algebra testes posted:

Didnt get to PTI or ATH boo

To be fair I'd probably be burned out by the afternoon too after watching all that poo poo.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

On the other hand, I was at a Tigers vs Indians game in 2011, Brad Penny starting

I'm so sorry.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Verlander came within 5 outs of a no hitter the night before, this was karma reasserting itself

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

The commercial load and pauses in the NFL is calculated and constant; The NBA falls into this same trap too (ie - the last 2 minutes 30 minutes of a half).

Anyone who is any sort of a televised sports purist knows that overtime NHL Playoff periods are mana from heaven. All commercial obligations are fulfilled and everything after period 3 is just plain gravy with next to zero cutaways. Even the announcers start to get punchy as they gotta fill the entire time especially when games go into double and triple OT. Soccer clicks those boxes too but I don't follow that sport.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Things are the way they are and they're not changing but the flow of NFL games can get severely disrupted by the random injury or the inopportune score, say right before the 2 minute warning but then followed by a number of timeouts.

Bill Barnwell tweeted out a link to a Mark Cuban interview from a couple years ago and I think Cuban is heading in the right direction with his quote.

http://www.espn.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/10662203/dallas-mavericks-owner-mark-cuban-says-greedy-nfl-10-years-away-implosion

Mark Cuban posted:

"Just watch. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. When you try to take it too far, people turn the other way. I'm just telling you, when you've got a good thing and you get greedy, it always, always, always, always, always turns on you. That's rule No. 1 of business."

Cuban was specifically referring to the NFL's recently expanding its television package. He considers it a poor business decision for the NFL, which consistently dominates TV ratings, to play games on days other than Sunday and Monday.

"They're trying to take over every night of TV," Cuban said. "Initially, it'll be, 'Yeah, they're the biggest-rating thing that there is.' OK, Thursday, that's great, regardless of whether it impacts [the NBA] during that period when we cross over. Then if it gets Saturday, now you're impacting colleges. Now it's on four days a week. "It's all football. At some point, the people get sick of it."

Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones disagreed with Cuban's take.

"We certainly do a lot of work as you know before we jump on these things," Jones said at the NFL owners' meeting in Orlando. "Certainly I can see why he might not say that, that we're getting too saturated. But I think we've done a lot of work to think that we're not."

It's hard to disagree. The ONLY reason I am watching NFL all day is because I have to for my job. And if you're remotely interested in NCAA football your entire week feels like its being monopolized. I'm much more excited for the NBA season than I am for the ongoing NFL season and I'm a vikings fan! Thursday games almost universally suck, they're trapped on a garbage network, and it honestly disrupts the teams having a short week to prepare. The other thing that I never liked is Monday Night Football moving to ESPN. It just felt wrong. The opening week double monday night football games felt bad, because the late one was so late. Then you have London Games so me, living on the west coast would in theory have to get up at 6:30am to catch kickoff. It's just getting a bit much.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

soggybagel posted:

The other thing that I never liked is Monday Night Football moving to ESPN. It just felt wrong. The opening week double monday night football games felt bad, because the late one was so late.
I totally agree.

It also didn't help that the late game was a loving shitshow (with Berman waaaay back back back back past his prime(time)). The most memorable thing that did occur happened on the RADIO broadcast with Kevin Harland making the call for the drunk that ran out on the field in the 4th quarter. That was it and it wasn't even televised or acknowledged.

ABC's MNF was once an event, it was special and it oozed class and production values for it's time. ESPN's package is a watered down also-ran garbagefest that rivals TNF to come up with the biggest yawnfest. The matchups are similar in that they are usually regional and most of the time non important.

Let's harken back to better days!
"Hark! Hark! Harkened he."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-FSnnw4I2w

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Also when it moved to ESPN my grandparents couldn't watch the game anymore and they were sad so I got angry.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

soggybagel posted:

Also when it moved to ESPN my grandparents couldn't watch the game anymore and they were sad so I got angry.
Your recollection is only interesting if Gramps rose up and killed a guy as a result.
Or was it you, with yer anger?

So many avenues to maneuver here.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Isn't the MNF deal part of what started really sinking ESPN too? As I recall, someone ITT said ESPN's side of the negotiations were handled by someone who was headed out the door and either didn't care much or was pretty vindictive. Maybe that was just rumor though.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Any Given Wednesday may not be a very good show, but it sometimes has good segments. The one on the Chargers stadium referendum was amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS7KL84H1DM

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

DJExile posted:

Isn't the MNF deal part of what started really sinking ESPN too? As I recall, someone ITT said ESPN's side of the negotiations were handled by someone who was headed out the door and either didn't care much or was pretty vindictive. Maybe that was just rumor though.
No that was correct. It was detailed in that long book about the history of ESPN. Basically ESPN ended up paying a ton for MNF but they were not getting premiere matchups

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Also ESPN had the chance to stick with Sunday night games (with flex scheduling) but they hesitated and didn't expect NBC to swoop in

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Yeah it's pretty clear Sunday night football gets the better games and has kind of superseded MNF.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Whoever has Al Michaels gets the best matchups, isn't that the law or something?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I'd honestly like less games in all the major sports. And banish Thursday Night Football to the abyss.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Even out the late and early games, allow broadcasts to move off 35-10 blowouts to another game, abolish TNF except thanksgiving, abolish 630 AM pacific bullshit London games. Add a second bye week (every team gets one weeks 4 - 10 and then another weeks 11 - 16). Keep the one good thing Goodell did with scheduling (week 17 all division games).

ESPN and ABC are the same put MNF on NBC.

Boom NFL is saved.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Spoeank posted:

Even out the late and early games, allow broadcasts to move off 35-10 blowouts to another game, abolish TNF except thanksgiving, abolish 630 AM pacific bullshit London games. Add a second bye week (every team gets one weeks 4 - 10 and then another weeks 11 - 16). Keep the one good thing Goodell did with scheduling (week 17 all division games).

Boom NFL is saved.

Even I don't watch the London games, and I live here. Also, knock off the prime time Thanksgiving game too, no-one wants that one

Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

Even I don't watch the London games, and I live here. Also, knock off the prime time Thanksgiving game too, no-one wants that one

I do I'll take any excuse to not have to talk to my family

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dang brits and your war on t-giving

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Cool Buff Man posted:

Dang brits and your war on t-giving

look, it's technically OUR holiday and look what you've done to it. Turned it into a month early Christmas dinner! Also, Thursday evening football our time is a godsend

Unmerciful posted:

I do I'll take any excuse to not have to talk to my family

me too, but I was in Detroit for Thanksgiving 2013, and no-one in the bar I was in even registered the game was on

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Akileese posted:

Any Given Wednesday may not be a very good show, but it sometimes has good segments. The one on the Chargers stadium referendum was amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS7KL84H1DM

Huh that was really great.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
You know, I've been thinking something. People complain about the lack of strong personalities in the NFL, and that also extends to the sidelines -- we don't have as many entertaining coaches as we used to.

Ratings dropped the year after Jim Tomsula got fired.

Makes you think.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

algebra testes posted:

Huh that was really great.

The show does have great segments from time to time,. it's just hit or miss. There's a good show in there somewhere. Simmons just needs a producer to smack him in the face and filter out his really terrible ideas.

I would watch infinitely more NFL games if Jim Tomsula did announcing and studio work. Someone make this happen please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Spoeank posted:

Boom NFL is saved.

I'm cool with this plan. Also star suspending dudes who purposely inflict grievous head trauma on other players. A fifteen yard penalty is not a deterrent at all. Toss them out of the game and suspend them for the next if they can't remember how to tackle.