Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

I've got no sympathy for a guy who wanted to sell a product the Chinese are selling for $8 for $47. It must cost pennies to make what a cheeky oval office

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coke
Jul 12, 2009
I too, would only pay the material and production cost for my mobile smartphone or the medicine that I take. Every cent over that is a scam.

On a similar topic, why am I paying for part of the road that I will never drive on??

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

ladron posted:

everything is relative...

Yeah it's simple relative to Japanese. I have no idea how the Japanese system works but I know keigo is scary and insane even for native speakers. For people who haven't learned any, Korean has basically three levels. There's one for friends/inferiors/younger people, one that's basic politeness for equals/superiors (you can use this level at all times and you're okay), and the high respect level for formal situations/boss maybe. All of these are verb conjugations. If you make the main verb of your sentence end with -yo you're safe in like 95%+ of Korean speaking situations.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
So the deal with keigo is there's very 'honorific' terms and words you use for your superiors (boss, president of company, customer) and very 'lowly' words you use for yourself and your coworkers and subordinates when speaking to these higher-ups.

There was actually some socio-linguistic study that showed that young people (who don't know how to use keigo for poo poo since they've never had a job or been in many situations where it's appropriate) trying to use keigo were still perceived as more polite if they used keigo backwards. That is, calling the customer by the 'lowly' term was still seen as more polite than not using keigo at all because 'at least you're trying'.

The whole thing's all hosed up.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

coke posted:

I too, would only pay the material and production cost for my mobile smartphone or the medicine that I take. Every cent over that is a scam.

On a similar topic, why am I paying for part of the road that I will never drive on??

There's a difference between an 800% markup and a 4700% markup just imo. Making a tidy profit is fine but this guy obviously thought he could take the piss and got hosed by it.

I felt the same way about many of the people in Poorly Made In China, yes the Chinese behave like con artists but they are doing it to such horrible people that I find it difficult to mind.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
There's also shipping, customs, warehousing and other fixed costs.

So yes it costs less than a dollar for 10 000 units but getting the product to you will make it at least 3 dollars

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

The consequence of excessive plunging.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

School Nickname posted:

The consequence of excessive plunging.

lol, I did not even notice the water. I figured the joke was that it was a knockoff Starbucks and just figured it was too subtle for my non-Startbucks-familiar self to spot.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

That is some goddamn impressive commitment to an authentic Venice cafe experience,

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

does dude have hard prior art on this, or is there a chance that he did the "rebrand aliexpress item for kickstarter" thing, got found out, and the dates were sketchy enough that he could float a great global copyright infringement thing plausibly?

like sure, the thing showed up on aliexpress, the friendly enduser wing of alibaba, 6 days after he "released" it or whatever. But when did it show up in 1000 lot quantities on alibaba proper, is kinda what i'm driving at.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm the Chinese parents that are convinced swimming will make their kids 190cm tall because Michael Phelps and Sun Yang are tall, so they make their kids swim.
I'm also the adult Chinese that believe this for themselves, despite being well past the point of growing.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
That Starbucks is in Hong Kong. We had particularly intense rain and flooding in hilly areas, particularly Island East.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That guy is my new thread idol. I'm sorry pig riding man, but you've been supplanted.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Imperialist Dog posted:

That Starbucks is in Hong Kong. We had particularly intense rain and flooding in hilly areas, particularly Island East.

Ohshit, then I am pretty sure I've been at that place about a year ago. With remarkably less water on the floor though.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Fauxtool posted:

they should do a tv show where cops swap places with another country's cops.

"Cop Swap"

I would love to see LAPD in China and see Chinese cops get their first gun.

Assuming there was no language barrier, I assume it would go something like this...

Chinese Cops in LA:

-Everyone has a negligent discharge when issued their Glocks as there is no external mechanical safety.
-Utterly confused when people start giving them poo poo for catching them sleeping in their squad cards while on duty.
-Total bafflement when they turn on their sirens and traffic parts (they pull over as well because they are sure a disaster is happening)
-Fear of black people is the same, but instead of shooting them they just run off
-Response times increase by 10,000%
-Confused when the forensics people start screaming at them for spitting all over the crime scene and tossing butts near the weapon and body.
-Pure horror when they tramp on the gas of their V8 Crown Vic and rocket through a storefront (their 4 cylinder Jettas back home are almost always on the verge of dying due to poor maintenance)
-Everyone has horrible, horrible back pains from wearing full bulletproof vests, guns, ammo, tazer, pepper spray, baton, radio, cuffs, notepad, heavy boots, cap, and 3lb belt.

LA Cops in China:

-Baton usage up 10,000% when they start to encounter Chinese citizens who get in their face and scream because someone pissed them off.
-Baton usage up 10,000% when they start to encounter Chinese cars that don't get out of the way when they turn on the siren.
-Baton usage up 10,000% when they start to encounter Chinese citizens who don't understand what the police tape is for.
-Baton usage up 10,000% when they start to encounter Chinese forensics staff who don't understand forensics and make a mess of their crime scenes.
-Baton usage up 10,000% when they start to encounter Chinese criminals who are used to having over and hour to vacate the crime scene before cops show up.
-Baton usage DOWN 10,000% when they start to realize that bribe culture is still alive and well in China.

Now if you could send US cops and firemen over to China with their own vehicles (police cruisers with ramming frames and fire trucks with 2" thick metal bumpers) you'd see traffic parting like the red sea after a few months of people getting their cars mashed out of the way.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grand Fromage posted:

It's way more complicated. Korean's system is pretty simple but Japanese's is not.

I can't speak to Japan very well but after four years in Korea: no.

I should have prefaced my statement with "My time in Japan". I have no idea what happens in Korea. My mistake.

Maybe I lucked out meeting normal people. They all drink like fishes though and they teach you that skill quite well.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

oohhboy posted:

I should have prefaced my statement with "My time in Japan". I have no idea what happens in Korea. My mistake.

Maybe I lucked out meeting normal people. They all drink like fishes though and they teach you that skill quite well.

Korea is just a slightly toned down version of Japan in many ways, except when it comes to brute-force education. They dial that poo poo up to "11". The government had to actually step in and enact laws designed to prevent parents from enrolling their 4 year olds into after school classes that go until midnight.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

And those laws are still frequently ignored. Some cram schools just black out the windows or have classes in internal rooms so cops can't see the lights on and have continued on with class until 2 or 4 AM.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Past a certain point, that has to be incredibly counter productive. The brain generates the mind and the brain is made out of meat. Health is important.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yes, it is, hugely. A lot of the Koreans I talk to (especially the young ones) even know that, but they still feel like they'll be falling behind if they don't go.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It is. Korean students aren't any better, in general honestly I'd say they'e worse. The problem is everyone feels compelled and doesn't really understand how useless it is. There are a lot of parents who don't want to send their kids to these schools but if someone else is, they feel like they have to or their kid will fall behind, and Korea is an extremely zero-sum society. Be #1 or be nothing at all. There's a reason they have the top teen suicide rate in the world.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
looks like murder president sold the philippines to chinar. rip

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Honestly arranging that might be the biggest diplomatic coup the PRC's ever had. It's either that or arranging themselves to be on the US' side against the USSR.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He says a lot of things but I don't think the establishment is going to follow him on this as the American money is too sweet and I seriously doubt China could possibly offer him better.

That said he is their Trump so who the gently caress knows. My guess is he is going to end up dead soon when some "terrorists" slip pass security.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah that's true. If it happens it'd be huge. I also wouldn't be surprised if he mysteriously ends up dead. They hate China and China hates them they can't be dumb enough to let it happen.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Are you guys referring to a recent news article? Link?

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
My boss invited me to dinner at her house, which is normal, but when I showed up she also had a ton of her friends there and I realized my unshaven face and sports/exercise clothes were wrong with the qipaos and fancy stuff these women were wearing. Anyway, one of her friends is this super power business woman with the plastic face and expensive name-brand everything to go with it. She pulls out her huge gold phone and I had to do a double-take.

Putin's face was her lock screen image.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Does anyone have a reliable source that Duerte is bankrolled by China? I mean, it makes perfect sense but I feel I cannot put forward that argument without some sources.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nickmeister posted:

https://warisboring.com/the-philippines-hothead-president-is-crapping-all-over-his-country-s-strongest-ally-b6f6dfe6fa03#.vnlt6d75t

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

nickmeister posted:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-philippines-idUSKCN12K0AS

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Me: "What are your hobbies?"
Chinese girl: "TENNIS AND SWIMMING."
ME: (Realize I've heard this pair of hobbies way too many times, like it's one of the canned responses people use here when they don't know what to say) "Oh"
Chinese girl: "What's wrong?"
Me: "Nothing. Many Chinese people tell me they like these two sports."
Chinese girl: "That's discrimination. Chinese people aren't all exactly the same. Everyone can do what they want. These activities are enjoyed by all."
Me: "Yes, I agree. I didn't mean that."
Chinese girl: "You foreigners are always like this"

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Haier posted:

Me: "What are your hobbies?"
Chinese girl: "TENNIS AND SWIMMING."
ME: (Realize I've heard this pair of hobbies way too many times, like it's one of the canned responses people use here when they don't know what to say) "Oh"
Chinese girl: "What's wrong?"
Me: "Nothing. Many Chinese people tell me they like these two sports."
Chinese girl: "That's discrimination. Chinese people aren't all exactly the same. Everyone can do what they want. These activities are enjoyed by all."
Me: "Yes, I agree. I didn't mean that."
Chinese girl: "You foreigners are always like this"

Chinese are special, different from foreign, do you know?

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

what's your current face status after that devastating truth bomb?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Haier posted:

I'm the Chinese parents that are convinced swimming will make their kids 190cm tall because Michael Phelps and Sun Yang are tall, so they make their kids swim.
I'm also the adult Chinese that believe this for themselves, despite being well past the point of growing.

Swimming is good though. Everyone should know how to swim. It's a great form of legit exercise too. And while the kids are taking swimming lessons they aren't sitting at a table mindlessly memorizing. As dumb superstitions go, this one is pretty good.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah, what kind of litmus test do you do to find out your social standing? Should we devise one?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

In Korea the superstition is jumping rope makes you taller, so you see parents/grandparents out forcing little kids to jump rope for hours at a time every night.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

In Korea the superstition is jumping rope makes you taller, so you see parents/grandparents out forcing little kids to jump rope for hours at a time every night.

Tallest Asians in Asia! (or so they claim). Must be working!

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
now when they say tennis do they mean tennis tennis or table tennis?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I know a Korean girl who is around 6'4", but her dad was on one of Korea's Olympic basketball teams so I'm pretty sure it's genetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Grand Fromage posted:

Well that's terrible. Jumping rope can lead to overheating and sweating. What are they going to do then, break out a fan? SMDH. Swimming is much superior.

• Locked thread