Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

His healing factor becomes weaker through age or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

That Logan trailer is friggin sweet

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, it looks solid plus it's rated r? the song choice was pretty on the nose but then I remembered there are probably even younger people who haven't had the Cash "Hurt" or like, "Mad World" done to death and overexposed to them

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I liked the trailer. Here's hoping they keep the scale intimate and do not involve any silver samurai mechas or eyelasershooting deadpools like in previous films

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I hope there's another scene where he dreams about waking up next to Famke Janssen. That was one of the better scenes in The Wolverine.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Zzulu posted:

I liked the trailer. Here's hoping they keep the scale intimate and do not involve any silver samurai mechas or eyelasershooting deadpools like in previous films

I liked The Wolverine but the finale was definitely the weakest part. This looks really dope though and I have faith in James Mangold.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

he dreams about waking up next to Famke Janssen.

Don't we all?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I hope the whole movie is a dream.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

LesterGroans posted:

I liked The Wolverine but the finale was definitely the weakest part.

Except for that fantastic 80s one-liner at the very end.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I was initially pretty worried because of the rumors it was going to be completely based upon Old Man Logan, which is a steaming pile of crap, but this looks more "inspired by." Mathieson's cinematography looks great.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timby posted:

I was initially pretty worried because of the rumors it was going to be completely based upon Old Man Logan, which is a steaming pile of crap, but this looks more "inspired by." Mathieson's cinematography looks great.

Yeah same. The comic it's based on is garbo.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I hope there's another scene where he dreams about waking up next to Famke Janssen. That was one of the better scenes in The Wolverine.

I remember Mangold saying that aspect of the movie was inspired by Baltar and Number 6's scenes in Battlestar Galactica.

Timby posted:

I mean, this looks about as based off of Old Man Logan as X2 was from the original Stryker comic story, or Civil War was from the CW comic. Even Days of Future Past was essentially just taking the general concept. Whenever there's a movie adapting a comic it's pretty much a given it's just using the names and broad stroke of the synopsis.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah same. The comic it's based on is garbo.

The Hulk eating Logan is one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen on a page.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Chairman Capone posted:

I remember Mangold saying that aspect of the movie was inspired by Baltar and Number 6's scenes in Battlestar Galactica.

Huh. I didn't even think of that, but now I see it.

Timby posted:

The Hulk eating Logan is one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen on a page.

You gotta give Millar credit, he does have a good feel for that kind of thing that wouldn't be out of place in 2000 AD, like Red Skull wearing Captain America's torn costume like a bearskin. I appreciate his irreverence for beloved franchise characters. The problem is almost always that in every other category he is like a second rate Warren Ellis.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 20, 2016

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Logan looks good because it doesn't looks like a superhero movie.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Yeah Old Man Logan has a lot of terrible stuff, The Hulk stuff is probably the worst of it from memory, especially how the Banner clan came about.

Which they can't do at all because they don't have the rights to the Hulk anyway, which is actually a really good thing.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
They have the Fantastic Four rights. They could have done a Thing clan. If it were Miller it'd probably have Thing kill Reed and keep Sue as a battered housewife in an abusive relationship where she can't leave.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Gatts posted:

They have the Fantastic Four rights. They could have done a Thing clan. If it were Miller it'd probably have Thing kill Reed and keep Sue as a battered housewife in an abusive relationship where she can't leave.

I remember at the time of DOFP I was surprised they didn't include the Franklin Richards character as a set-up for the Fantastic Four movie, but in retrospect probably for the best.

One thing I do hope they keep from Old Man Logan is him not going by Wolverine or using his claws until finally getting pushed over the edge. I'd love to see Jackman do that scene. But he seems to be using his claws in scenes that seem pretty early in the movie.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Gatts posted:

Why even bother when you can make a movie for half the cost by turning it into a simple angry dad film.

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 20, 2016

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

He's totally going to die :(

Ya, it even looks like Logan has just finished burying him at the end of the trailer when X-23 takes his hand.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

fatherboxx posted:

simple angry dad film

I didn't know that was a "thing", honestly.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Simpsons Did It

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt5nM-izOwI&t=4s

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Call it Takencore if you want
Neesonwave

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

Call it Takencore if you want
Neesonwave

Commando was doing this before it was cool.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah that trailer was sweet as hell. I don't know anything about the plot but Stephen Merchant as a weird albino mutant is some pretty inspired casting that makes me both excited and concerned. I've never seen him do anything dramatic before.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Stare-Out posted:

Yeah that trailer was sweet as hell. I don't know anything about the plot but Stephen Merchant as a weird albino mutant is some pretty inspired casting that makes me both excited and concerned. I've never seen him do anything dramatic before.

That's Caliban, a mutant that can detect other mutants. .

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I wonder if some screenwriter is a fan of Skullface.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I wonder if some screenwriter is a fan of Skullface.

We'll know if Caliban starts babbling for twenty minutes about the lingua franca.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Huh. I didn't even think of that, but now I see it.

You gotta give Millar credit, he does have a good feel for that kind of thing that wouldn't be out of place in 2000 AD, like Red Skull wearing Captain America's torn costume like a bearskin. I appreciate his irreverence for beloved franchise characters. The problem is almost always that in every other category he is like a second rate Warren Ellis.

Millar hates the concept of heroes. He doesn't believe that someone with power would ever help anybody but themselves.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Millar hates the concept of heroes. He doesn't believe that someone with power would ever help anybody but themselves.

I think his cynicism extends mostly to the most mercenary form of button-pushing. He wrote Superman Adventures, after all.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Early Doctor Strange reviews are in, praising the visuals and the music and Cumberbatch, while saying the humor falls pretty flat and otherwise it's the same bog-standard origin story we've seen so many times before.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Old Man Logan had a venom-infected T-Rex chasing their car, keep that part in there.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Zzulu posted:

The SIlver Samurai mecha was great. #MoreGiantRobots

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I'm guessing that Logan will involve bits and pieces of Innocence Lost, Old Man Logan, and Death of Wolverine.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Was a pretty well designed trailer, but the obvious wirework when Logan is flying still bothers me.

Yeah what's with this, the XMen movies have always had lovely wirework for flying/jumping characters, and haven't improved in 15 years or whatever. The DC and Marvel movies show its perfectly possible to portray those types of superpowers believably now.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I don't think I've ever seen the kind of wide-armed leap that Wolverine does in any of the X-Men movies done in any superhero flick done well.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

AndyElusive posted:

I don't think I've ever seen the kind of wide-armed leap that Wolverine does in any of the X-Men movies done in any superhero flick done well.

The closest I can think of is the one in the mansion fight in X2 ... which is then wrecked by the terrible immediate follow-up shot of him tossing the two dudes he stabbed behind him.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

^^Yeah I just looked at that jump Wolverine does off the railing and it looks like [shot of him jumping off unsupported, before the wires go taut or he's going to land on a mat] + [shot of him in mid-air falling from another angle] and then [kind of a very quick, obscured shot where he *might* be landing a little too softly but it's hard to tell]. Well done when you don't show the whole jump but piece it together from multiple shots and angles. Instead of how they're usually shot, like Seth Rogen's big jump onto Gary Cole in Pineapple Express.

Terrible Horse posted:

Yeah what's with this, the XMen movies have always had lovely wirework for flying/jumping characters, and haven't improved in 15 years or whatever. The DC and Marvel movies show its perfectly possible to portray those types of superpowers believably now.

Even the same wirework can look better with different editing choices or camera angles. Wirework will never look right if you show a lot of the jump because we can tell that the acceleration and deceleration look off and because the character is centered in a weird way around their hips. You have to work around it.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 20, 2016

Electromax
May 6, 2007
wuXia-men

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
C'mon Fox, you know you want an X-Men movie directed by Zhang Yimou with Chinese people replacing all the white people (we can keep Storm black etc even if that botches some of the returns in Asian markets). It'd at least definitely recoup most of the budget internationally. I hope I live long enough to see white genocide bring about a ton of movies like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lobok posted:

^^Yeah I just looked at that jump Wolverine does off the railing and it looks like [shot of him jumping off unsupported, before the wires go taut or he's going to land on a mat] + [shot of him in mid-air falling from another angle] and then [kind of a very quick, obscured shot where he *might* be landing a little too softly but it's hard to tell]. Well done when you don't show the whole jump but piece it together from multiple shots and angles. Instead of how they're usually shot, like Seth Rogen's big jump onto Gary Cole in Pineapple Express.

The other thing about the mansion attack in X2 is that it's one of Ottman's very few legitimately good musical cues in all his scores for the X-Men movies.

• Locked thread