Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Between this and Pokémon go I want to thank Nintendo for improving mugging/jumping targets for when the World Water Wars start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Modest Mouse cover band posted:

I mean games like Shovel Knight and Binding of Isaac don't exactly need awesome graphics.

The Switch looks like all of Nintendo's other TV consoles - a compliment to an Xbox/Playstation/PC.

I wonder what OS it runs? AndroidTV would be great (SPMC/Kodi/Plex on the go), but that's unlikely.

Nintendo should buy a From Software exclusive souls-like game ala Bloodborne. Zelda and Mario look cool but that's what $360 for two games?

Also if Square is in maybe some RPGs would be ported. The traditional RPG market kind of sucks nowadays.

Right, but those are stylized 2D games which are relatively platform independent. I'm talking more about the extremely low-poly low-texture res 3D games that release on the system.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Looks cool, I will keep buying Nintendo games and systems as I have done since the SNES. Well that's my story, have a good day everyone!

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

beat me with a switch nintendo daddy

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

Endorph posted:

no way the dock is sold separately. the entire point is that it can switch. it's called the switch. making a thing that can't switch and then charging you extra for the ability to switch would be terrible.

i bought my 3ds and it didn't come with a loving charging cable so all bets are off with nintendo

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The fact that Marvelous, Spike Chunsoft, Arcsys, Tokyo RPG Factory and Nippon Ichi are all confirmed Switch developers means that there is likely a massive imminent Vita exodus in Japan

HarveyxCosmonaut
Jan 27, 2009
So if the tablet is touch does that mean the middle of the Joy-Con Grip has to be a touchpad right?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Red Minjo posted:

Can't wait for the anime tiddy games where we have to wonder if the Switch in the title is going to end up being a verb or a noun.

Akiba's Witch! It's going to happen!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Midnightghoul posted:

Imagine how much thinner the Switch would be if it used the industry standard Lightning port rather than the antique 3.5mm

:golfclap:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

jivjov posted:

You don't "have" to do anything.

I get DLC and paid content, but with an Amiibo, there's a very real chance you won't be able to get them. So there's stuff in the game that is impossible to access. It's madness.

How is there not a class action lawsuit against Nintendo/Disney/Activision for this.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

Then they cut frames of the Zelda footage on the portable shot on purpose i guess is what you're saying so that's cool that Nintendo is keeping our expectations in check I guess

that's not what i'm saying you silly goose. you are watching a teaser video. if you think this is an accurate representation of final gameplay quality then wow

and not just gameplay quality, framerate and refresh rate. it's a video of a video. holy poo poo.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Celery Jello posted:

Did you pull these out of your rear end or find them somewhere?

Feels like the former, I could swear I read that the portable unit doesn't have a camera.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

HarveyxCosmonaut posted:

So if the tablet is touch does that mean the middle of the Joy-Con Grip has to be a touchpad right?

It's not touch

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I pray that Nintendo has finally gotten the hint and ditched region locking. You know this is going to get all those niche RPGs that take forever to get released abroad or don't get released at all

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
When docked, switch the Switch's into coprocessor mode for 1080p action.

This is a super strategic push switching over to an all ARM lineup. If the Switch fails, then Nintendo has a boatload of institutional knowledge to go ham on smartphones.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Nah, that seems impractical for a couple of reasons. First, why leave two unused batteries attached to the screen and not utilize them? And second, might as well have a direct contact and eliminate lag.

Depending on how good of a battery they throw in them, this might actually be part of how they solve the "How long will the battery last on this thing" question.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bone app the teeth posted:

i bought my 3ds and it didn't come with a loving charging cable so all bets are off with nintendo

In Nintendo's defense, everyone has a 3DS charging cable. I don't even have one and I have three charging cables.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Guy Goodbody posted:

Have you not seen DS or 3DS or Vita cartridges? Have you arrived here via time rip from 1998?

There were several articles in the past gushing about rumors that "OMG Nintendo is going back to cartridges for the NX" which is kind of different from "Nintendo is going to keep using DS-style cards"

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/05/why-nintendo-nxs-rumored-shift-from-discs-to-cartridges-is-actually-smart/

http://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendos-new-nx-console-to-go-retro-with-videogame-cartridges-1472811942

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Celery Jello posted:

Did you pull these out of your rear end or find them somewhere?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So when's Nintendo going to court the Overwatch port with some of their characters as playable heroes?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I get DLC and paid content, but with an Amiibo, there's a very real chance you won't be able to get them. So there's stuff in the game that is impossible to access. It's madness.

How is there not a class action lawsuit against Nintendo/Disney/Activision for this.

Because amiibo get released and reprinted, and the majority of amiibo unlocks are not crucial game features. They're just fun little extras to reward people who have amiibo.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
If the portable screen is a touch screen and there's 3ds compatibility, Nintendo can take all my money right loving now.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Guessing retail model will include portable system, dock and the two joycons for $350-400, and the Switch Pro Controller will be $60 separately.

Be rad if Mario launched with the system too

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
https://twitter.com/PokeLoot/status/789108355012886528

This thing says the portable unit doesn't have a camera which would conflict with the specs list from some goon in this thread

But, this is one unsourced wall of text vs another, so. Console announcements are fun. :shobon:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
In Nintendos defense, the Japanese consoles never came with a charging cable.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Endorph posted:

no way the dock is sold separately. the entire point is that it can switch. it's called the switch. making a thing that can't switch and then charging you extra for the ability to switch would be terrible.

They are going to have to sell it separately for the handheld market that doesn't buy more expensive consoles

And the logo is all about the controllers anyways so the dock ain't as important as you think

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Plus what happens when DLC servers shut down? Is there a class action because people can't buy Halo 2 DLC anymore?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Neo_Crimson posted:

If the portable screen is a touch screen and there's 3ds compatibility, Nintendo can take all my money right loving now.

It's not

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

TheKingofSprings posted:

So when's Nintendo going to court the Overwatch port with some of their characters as playable heroes?

I still believe that Splatoon Inklings will make it into Overwatch one day. I'll even be happy with Samus and Bowser skins for Pharah and Winston.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jerk McJerkface posted:

In Nintendo's defense, everyone has a 3DS charging cable. I don't even have one and I have three charging cables.

I had every single Nintendo portable up to the DSi because there was no need to get a DSi and I didn't have a 3DS charging cable nor could I source an actual licensed 3DS charger for a while.

There's no need to defend them being cheap as gently caress.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

jivjov posted:

Plus what happens when DLC servers shut down? Is there a class action because people can't buy Halo 2 DLC anymore?

no

http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/turn10_postst45097_FM4-DLC-end-of-life-re-downloading-info---see-post--1.aspx

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

jivjov posted:

Hey strawman, how goes it?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I had every single Nintendo portable up to the DSi because there was no need to get a DSi and I didn't have a 3DS charging cable nor could I source an actual licensed 3DS charger for a while.

https://www.amazon.com/Gen-USB-Char...+charging+cable

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jerk McJerkface posted:

No one is getting sued because a Skylander toy went out of stock at your local Target

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jerk McJerkface posted:

You're the one saying there should be a class action for there being released content that someone can't buy any more.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Still not sure why they went proprietary on the DS series considering you can literally charge them with a Mini-USB cable in a pinch

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

A random screenshot of a .txt file isn't exactly reliable information.

Not that what's there isn't outside the realm of possibility, I just have trouble taking that at face value, sorry.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

pretty inexcusable to not include a $0.01 cable just so they can sell you one for $10.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Louisgod posted:

-I can hide away in the bathroom for 20 minutes and play this while taking a poo poo
-I can play this at work while taking a poo poo.
-I can play this in bed while the kids sleep and poo poo in a diaper if I wanted to.
-I can play this in the car while the kids sleep, likely in their own poo poo, unabated.

all you single idiots with no kids don't understand the power this thing will have on fathers.

Nintendo CK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Price point is going to be $300.

Comes with:
- Base station
- Tablet unit
- Joy con controllers

The Wii U was punished with its $350 price tag, same with the OG 3DS and PS3. I doubt $250 is in the cards, maybe something weird like a $269.99 or $329.99.

• Locked thread