Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Frontier was on a Sony system?

Yes, it's on PS3, Vita, and coming to PS4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

homeless snail posted:

What, you think 3DS cartridges are NAND?

Yeah. They're flash memory.

Start whining about how EEPROMs are the future and how the original DS used J-K flip flops.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

I'm playing Etrian Odyssey right now and I miss the two screens :(

Yes I am that fuckwit who needs a map all the time.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Honestly I probably wouldn't take it out of the house except to travel (rare.)

In most cases it would be me moving it from the tv to bed or to the couch so my girlfriend could watch Kardashians or something.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I can't believe that Nintendo of all companies were the first to think of just turning their console into a loving tablet. This thing is going to make Apple very nervous if it's not hot garbage considering how many children have tablets.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

MiddleOne posted:

I can't believe that Nintendo of all companies were the first to think of just turning their console into a loving tablet. This thing is going to make Apple very nervous if it's not hot garbage considering how many children have tablets.

No one considering buying a tablet first and foremost is going to see the Switch as a viable option for that purpose.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It's literally a tablet though. If it has Netflix it will be competing for that market.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

This was the thinking in 2012 with Wii U I'm sure. Turns out people did actually spend to buy their kids iPads.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

MiddleOne posted:

It's literally a tablet though. If it has Netflix it will be competing for that market.

The Wii had Netflix.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Nonsense posted:

This was the thinking in 2012 with Wii U I'm sure. Turns out people did actually spend to buy their kids iPads.

I did say if it's not hot garbage. :v:

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Unless this tanks, pour one out for the (3)DS family; the greatest handheld family ever created.

R.I.P. in Peaces, 2004-2018

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010
I want the switch, but I love my 3ds so much I don't know if I am ready.

Most important question , does switch have badge arcade???

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

I did say if it's not hot garbage. :v:

I'm just happy Nintendo is no longer (so far it seems) forcing you to make a choice between differing hardware any longer in order to get ALL their games. As you say I hope Switch turns out good.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Tempura Wizard posted:

Unless this tanks, pour one out for the (3)DS family; the greatest handheld family ever created.

R.I.P. in Peaces, 2004-2018

Hopefully it has a DS and 3DS VC. I'll miss 3D but having an actual HD screen finally will more than make up for it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Hopefully it has a DS and 3DS VC. I'll miss 3D but having an actual HD screen finally will more than make up for it.

How would that even work? It only has one screen.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Nonsense posted:

I'm just happy Nintendo is no longer (so far it seems) forcing you to make a choice between differing hardware any longer in order to get ALL their games. As you say I hope Switch turns out good.

This is actually a huge game changer. Or it would have been if the Vita hadn't been colossal failure in the west.

I'd like to know more about the operating system, how/if Mii's and Streetpass will work. Oddly enough I get excited when I tag someone new.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dr. Fetus posted:

How would that even work? It only has one screen.

It could just put both screen images on the screen at once or maybe you can play on the TV using the screen as well like with Wii U.

I definitely hope StreetPass returns. That's definitely one of my favorite 3DS features.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

I definitely hope StreetPass returns. That's definitely one of my favorite 3DS features.
I don't because I've had a grand total of 50 in the entire time I've had a 3DS, despite fishing for them because I don't live in a major city so locking neat stuff behind them sucks.

It's fine if they made that stuff accessible elsewise though.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Oh, you're the guy who likes streetpass

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Streetpass might as well not exist for me, I think I've gotten one, ever

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The only place I can consistently get Streetpasses is a used video game store. Once the NX is out, nobody's gonna be carrying around their 3DS and I'll have to keep going to that game shop to finish all the Streetpass puzzles.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Streetpass owns. It's just that you have to live in NYC or Japan.

I'm so hyped for my Japan trips now that the queue has been bumped up to 100.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Phone posted:

Streetpass owns. It's just that you have to live in NYC or Japan.

I'm so hyped for my Japan trips now that the queue has been bumped up to 100.

I'm in Chicago and I usually tag the same 3 people on my commute. It's fun to send weird messages to strangers on the train. If I'm walking around the loop (downtown) I usually tag about 10 people on a good day out. I wish they had done something like Pokemon Go and made certain places hotspots to win/roll on items or something.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I got most of my passes from passing by McDonalds on my commute

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Hmmm I don't think it will fit in my pocket

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

streetpass cool. weird-rear end asynchronous multiplayer is almost always better than real multiplayer

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

El Burbo posted:

Hmmm I don't think it will fit in my pocket
What kinda pants u got, fan

Schwa
Jan 16, 2001

I got this title from someone stronger than me.
There wasn't any indication that's a touch screen in the video. A careful omission or is that a gimme with a tablet shaped device?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Schwa posted:

There wasn't any indication that's a touch screen in the video. A careful omission or is that a gimme with a tablet shaped device?

I don't think there can be, if all games can also be played on a TV with the Switch docked.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

homeless snail posted:

What kinda pants u got, fan

Jeans with custom made 3ds xl sized pockets

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

deadly_pudding posted:

I don't think there can be, if all games can also be played on a TV with the Switch docked.

True, but there's no reason it can't be used for menu/icon tapping to save time while it's in your hand.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Touch screens... are bad!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I take that last post back. Picross 3D owns too hard.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
If it lacks a touchscreen then someone hosed up on the part where it's supposed to be equally viable as a handheld.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Pureauthor posted:

If it lacks a touchscreen then someone hosed up on the part where it's supposed to be equally viable as a handheld.

Etrian Odyssey had a good run. It's time to let it go.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

PSP + Gameboy games were fine without it.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

i never ever use the touchscreen on the 3ds and in fact get annoyed when it makes me pull out the styles for some minute menu task that easily could have been handled with gods chosen input, buttons

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Housh posted:

Nintendo products are military grade Fisher-price

This is less true if it is a moving part. Like n64 thumbsticks, or hinges.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Pureauthor posted:

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

If anything, it probably has an enhanced multitouch touch screen. The thing is basically a tablet without the joy cons attached.