Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Covok posted:

Alright, what is the "I'm not owned" joke from? Why corn?
op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Have any pundits noted that Donald looked significantly less orange last night? I'm convinced it's because Alec Baldwin's impression realllly got under his skin

Turns out he looks even worse without the makeup, of course

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

gradenko_2000 posted:

"Drain the swamp" is a reference to Washington DC (allegedly) being built on a swamp.

It's like when Republicans were saying "Washington DC needs a recession" - it's a really clumsy metaphor for throwing out the current ruling party, but they're not aware of bad the analogy is and how some deeper reading can make it sound downright awful.

Yeah it's such bad timing. Eastern North Carolina is swampland that is (or was at the time he started that hashtag) still underwater from Hurricane Matthew. Trump even sent a truck of supplies to my hometown. He could have picked any number of catchphrases that didn't have a weird double meaning to a large group of people in a swing state.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The combination of your name and this pic has me giggling uncontrollably for reasons I cannot fathom

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

CmdrRiker posted:

I'm not really sure where any of these stats are coming from anymore. You have successfully argued me out of this conversation because I cannot validate any of these points you're making and cannot continue.

......so you know literally nothing about voting in this country?

Here's a quick run down: There are 3 numbers to keep in mind. There is the population of the country, which is about 318 million. Then there is the VAP, voting age population, which is about 240-ish million. Then there is the percent of the country that is eligible and that actually loving votes. Which is about 60%, going as low as perhaps 40 to 30% for midterms. Nobody shows up for midterms. When someone says that Donald Trump has "40% of the vote", it's saying he has a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of the country. He has 40% of the 60% of the 80% of the country that can even be in the conversation. And that is his ceiling at this point, not his floor. That is the best case if all those people are Trump die hards. And they aren't, they really really aren't. When you get down to it, he has a few tens of millions of people out of 318 million that are actually terrible human beings.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I do see at the least 340 EV's after this race, but I think that Trump will continue to attack republicans (especially Paul Ryan) as he's a raging narcissist who felt wronged by his decision to publicly abandon him. To illustrate my point when I was taught to swim I was told never to directly approach someone who is drowning from the front and try to rescue them. In their panic they'll grab you and push you down where if they were calm you could save them easily, but then they wouldn't be drowning. You basically have to come from behind and ambush them, keep their arms from grabbing you and swim for both you and the person who is drowning. Even then it's risky.

Trump has been drowning for a while now. His surrogates have been trying their damndest to save him at every turn with weird interpretations of his mind and rhetoric that turn out to be false, trying to keep him on message, trying to train him and eventually it just turns out he's unteachable. Let Trump be Trump is fine when the water is shallow and the current is weak, but now that it's deep and strong let Trump be Trump is to let him drown. Both offended and panicked, he'll drown anyone trying to help him or even not trying to help him but close he'll push them down in order to stay up. In the end he'll just drag others down with him before he goes down. Now almost completely out of people who can help him, he's flailing and looking for the next person he can push down to stay up in his panic.

I think that the final thing he pushes down into the water will democracy itself. I'm not saying he'll kill democracy. That threat has passed, but it'll come out of this worse for wear. In his selfish panic to save his pride he will call the election rigged. He will do anything to salvage his pride. Say anything. It doesn't matter. His pride to him is worth more than national stability. He might not even be smart enough to realize what he's doing, or rationalizing it as "not that bad". Like you can spin your way out of a loss this devastating.

What's remaining of his followers will feel cheated and some of the crazies will resort to violence. Not all of them, not some of them, not even just a few, but isolated handfuls of people doing what PJ would call "Compacting their movement out of existence". I think this is going to be the worst of the election. Even at this point Donald won't tell them to calm down. His pride is more important than people. My only hope at this point is that it doesn't happen at the polls. That this beast doesn't rear its head until everyone goes home. That the bubble Trump supporters are in pops later rather than sooner.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 20, 2016

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Apraxin posted:

Quoting the Guardian liveblog from Gloria Allred's press conference with the new Trump accuser. Jesus.

Ugh, that poor woman.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Harlan Hill on CNN melting down over the Russia hack. "There is no proof its the Russians! It could be China it could be anyone!"

Now claiming that Clinton is making it up the Russia angle to contest election results.

We need a corncob emote because lol.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Harlan Hill and Tim Miller arguing like brothers that don't like each other on CNN while the anchors just look on is hilarious. Also, Hill floated the idea that the Hillary campaign is behind people thinking that Russia is responsible for the DNC/Podesta hacks so they can protest the election, which is a level of projection I have yet to see in this race.

edit:

Harlan Hill: "I can't believe that you are a republican who is defending Hillary Clinton"
Tim Miller: "You were for Bernie Sanders like, 2 minutes ago!"

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

So is this from the end of the debate?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Phone posted:

3rd trimester abortions are almost de facto banned in the US. There are literally a handful of doctors who are capable and will do the procedure, but it's a situation where they have armed security at all times and you have to show up with $10k cash and then pay the rest of the $25k with a check card.

Here's a good article about having an abortion at 8 months: http://jezebel.com/interview-with-a-woman-who-recently-had-an-abortion-at-1781972395

I'm gonna drag this up after another five pages because holy poo poo. Holy poo poo.

Like the interviewer says, having to have an abortion is a horrible experience both physiologically and psychologically even without all the political bullshit on top. Having to have a late-term abortion is even worse.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
https://www.fastcodesign.com/3064790/donald-trumps-crazy-handwriting-is-now-a-free-font-called-tiny-hand

lol, I hope Tiny Hands becomes the new Comic Sans.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

So mad that he angrily rips a page off of his notepad. Clinton walks by smiling. Wonderful.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Being corncobbed can mean being screwed over badly or physically beaten.

I understood turning into a corncob meant that you were corncobbed so badly you actually turned into a corncob.

The corncobbing isn't the ownage in of itself but it's the denial of undeniable ownage.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Spiritus Nox posted:

Hahahaha, this loving loser thinks you need to be told in advance what the questions are at a presidential debate

That's like thinking you need to know the questions to your final exam - if you've been playing a lick of attention then you already know what's going to come up, because you've literally been talking about it for months.

his surrogates riff on Hillary for preparing... so yeah.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Flip Yr Wig posted:

So is this from the end of the debate?

Yeah as Clinton walked over to Wallace to shake his hand. He's pissed.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Guys, I know that everyone's all riding high on trump trumping trump, but... one of the US's strategic allies has basically sold itself to the Chinese for some magic beans :stare:

Duterte announces military, economic split from U.S.

PH agrees to bilateral talks on maritime row, gets $9B in credit

You see this? This is the kind of thing you could expect every week from a Trump presidency.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
He's going to lose worse then the polls suggest and take the senate and the house with him because the Democratic/Clinton GoTV effort is a billion times bigger and better then the Trump/GOP one.

That's my hot take.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Goatman Sacks posted:

I've found the amount of above-the-logo headlines on drudge is inversely proportional to how good the news is for Trump, so based off of this

he's toast.

I thought Trump was the one who said we shouldn't provide security for other nations...so how should this have any bearing on the US?

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
NPR loving sucks

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

skylined! posted:

My beef is not with NPR sharing right wing viewpoints and trying to represent people as human, but not doing enough to completely put on display just how dangerous to our country Trump and his rhetoric has been. As some other poster put it though, maybe it's me.

I only ever listen on my way home from work, but I've noticed a lot of NPR reports that are nothing more than "in a rally today Donald Trump said [insert latest Trump conspiracy theory or attack here]" with no discussion or fact checking. Just the mere fact that he said something was worth reporting on. Without follow up they're effectively legitimizing what he has to say since it was apparently newsworthy enough to repeat.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

NewMars posted:

Guys, I know that everyone's all riding high on trump trumping trump, but... one of the US's strategic allies has basically sold itself to the Chinese for some magic beans :stare:

You see this? This is the kind of thing you could expect every week from a Trump presidency.

Duterte Does Something Insane And Evil/Stupid is his only move.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

davecrazy posted:

He's going to lose worse then the polls suggest and take the senate and the house with him because the Democratic/Clinton GoTV effort is a billion times bigger and better then the Trump/GOP one.

That's my hot take.

Mine is that Texas either goes blue or is within 1-2% of going blue, which would scare the poo poo out of the GOP.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Crow Jane posted:

Have any pundits noted that Donald looked significantly less orange last night? I'm convinced it's because Alec Baldwin's impression realllly got under his skin

Turns out he looks even worse without the makeup, of course

He's been getting less orange with each debate. Also his eyes were super red and he started the debate with a very slow cadence to his speaking. I was convinced they'd given him something that slowly wore off after the first question.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Radish posted:

My issue with NPR is it's framed as ultra leftist communist radio by pretty much everyone when it's really a lot of truth in the middle stuff along with truthful reporting (which leans left). So you get the "left wing" side making the occasional case for right wing policies along with straight up conservative economic shows like Planet Money while the outlets like Fox News wouldn't give liberal opinions the light of day unless they are being aggressively discredited. It helps perpetuate the idea that right wing ideas are the natural state and anything left of that is radical (and equivalent to dangerously extreme right wing views such as those endorsed by Trump).

The actual content is mostly fine but the narrative it helps set is really irritating. That's not really the fault of NPR though, more that conservatives have been really good about crying huge tears and whining at how they are oppressed in the media for decades.

I listen to NPR all the time while cooking, and although they have conservative guests/radio callers sometimes, the sympathies of the station are clearly not with the right. It would be hard to vote Trump after listening to it. The hosts seem perfectly horrified by him - not pushing the "both sides are the same" narrative.

NPR is *not* the equivalent of Fox News. It's not intended to get you riled up and angry. It's gentle, thoughtful and sedate. It's clearly aimed at people middle-aged and older who are centrist in politics (which right now means Democrat.) And is that so bad? Must older people be automatically painted as conservative and driven to Fox News? It's a station that encourages older people to open their minds instead of clamming up in a "kids these days!" fear reaction to anything new or different.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

He's been getting less orange with each debate. Also his eyes were super red and he started the debate with a very slow cadence to his speaking. I was convinced they'd given him something that slowly wore off after the first question.

His rage is more powerful than any horse tranquilizer.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Night10194 posted:

His rage is more powerful than any horse tranquilizer.

Tastier, too.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

NewMars posted:

Duterte is an insane motherfucker and he has death squads running around killing anyone accused of "drug pushing/anything"

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

NewMars posted:

When is that douchebag gonna get overthrown by a coup or some poo poo?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

PT6A posted:

If he's coming off even worse than he did during the debate, he's sunk, because it looked like he got curb stomped during the debate.

Best description I read was "After 30 minutes Trump hanged himself by the neck and Hillary kept beating the sack of poo poo like he was a pinata"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

NewMars posted:

Good god, the Filipino economy is going to collapse so hard it will make Brexit look like a flat week on the NYSE.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Look upon the Phillipines and understand what we're narrowly avoiding.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

davecrazy posted:

That's my hot take.

If nothing else we will learn what campaign organization and GOTV are worth in terms of votes, because only 1 side has those things at all.

:iiam:

If Clinton outperforms her polls by more than a couple % the election is going to be a extinction level event for the GOP.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

SunAndSpring posted:

When is that douchebag gonna get overthrown by a coup or some poo poo?

he has overwhelming support from the people of phillipines

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Agrajag posted:

he has overwhelming support from the people of phillipines

Remember that authoritarian populism tends to grow in conditions of economic frailty, I mean, look at the UK. Philipines are gonna be blaming Clinton and the US without a second thought too, when they end up a Chinese prefecture.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

WampaLord posted:

Mine is that Texas either goes blue or is within 1-2% of going blue, which would scare the poo poo out of the GOP.

Oh my god, Texas going Blue would be beautiful to see.

So much rage out of the GOP and an immediate string of accusations of election rigging.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Night10194 posted:

Look upon the Phillipines and understand what we're narrowly avoiding.

Where's Blackjack Pershing when you need him?

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Mulva posted:

......so you know literally nothing about voting in this country?

Here's a quick run down: There are 3 numbers to keep in mind. There is the population of the country, which is about 318 million. Then there is the VAP, voting age population, which is about 240-ish million. Then there is the percent of the country that is eligible and that actually loving votes. Which is about 60%, going as low as perhaps 40 to 30% for midterms. Nobody shows up for midterms. When someone says that Donald Trump has "40% of the vote", it's saying he has a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of the country. He has 40% of the 60% of the 80% of the country that can even be in the conversation. And that is his ceiling at this point, not his floor. That is the best case if all those people are Trump die hards. And they aren't, they really really aren't. When you get down to it, he has a few tens of millions of people out of 318 million that are actually terrible human beings.

I'm following you so far. My one criticism is assuming the polling population accurately represents the subset of the subset of individuals. One is far different from the other. But I get the overall point you're driving at.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

NewMars posted:

Remember that authoritarian populism tends to grow in conditions of economic frailty, I mean, look at the UK. Philipines are gonna be blaming Clinton and the US without a second thought too, when they end up a Chinese prefecture.

Special autonomous region is more like it. I bet Chinese historians are coming the archives for pottery shards found in the Philippines as we speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
My bf and I watched the movie Everest after the debate last night, and the events depicted were less of a disaster than Donald's performance

• Locked thread