Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Johnny Aztec posted:

That is completely retarded. A super wealthy person like wayne has waaaay more power and ability to change things, than some rear end in a top hat in a cape.

It's not about putting criminals behind bars or funding the police force. It's about instilling fear. "Criminals are a superstitious and cowardly lot." Batman is effective not simply because he can put them in jail, but because they fear him, he becomes the bed time story, every time someone thinks of committing a crime, there is the feeling in the back of their head, "Batman will find me." And they may brush it off "Batman wouldn't be there for little old me." and then Batman is there for little old you, and he stops you.

Bruce Wayne cannot make the criminal element fear him as Bruce Wayne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

And yet there are always more criminals. It's almost like poverty from low economic opportunities is more motivating than the idea of a ninja with Bat ears giving you a fright.

I know "they're stories" I'm just taking the piss

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Batman doesn't give a poo poo about justice, or stopping crime. If he stopped crime, he'd have no purpose. He puts his villians in places they can easily escape because without them, he is nothing.
People die so a rich rear end in a top hat can prance around in leather.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

mind the walrus posted:

And yet there are always more criminals. It's almost like poverty from low economic opportunities is more motivating than the idea of a ninja with Bat ears giving you a fright.

This is the argument people who don't actually read Batman comics like to make, especially in the wake of the Nolan movies. Because Bruce is constantly donating money to causes. He's got infinite fictional resources and he does have a bazillion foundations and grants and stuff that he does as Bruce Wayne. But you know, if he didn't run around in bat ears scaring people it'd be a pretty boring comic book, so you have to accept that the DC universe doesn't work like the real world.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I suppose you could have a Batman comic where he turns up on the doorsteps of various struggling charities and failing schools and stuff with enormous cardboard novelty checks, or where he batlobbies for improved social services and better rehabilitation programs by taking congresspeople out in the batmobile to tour the batcave and that ends in a batpresentation.

Finally a reason for that bat credit card. These school supplies are on me, kids!

It would basically be the 10-second PSAs at the end of GI Joe turned into the main feature.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Hell, I'd read that.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Ashcans posted:

I suppose you could have a Batman comic where he turns up on the doorsteps of various struggling charities and failing schools and stuff with enormous cardboard novelty checks, or where he batlobbies for improved social services and better rehabilitation programs by taking congresspeople out in the batmobile to tour the batcave and that ends in a batpresentation.

Finally a reason for that bat credit card. These school supplies are on me, kids!

It would basically be the 10-second PSAs at the end of GI Joe turned into the main feature.

Legit sounds like what Batman '66 would do on slow crime days.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Yvonmukluk posted:

That's because, as I've said countless times, Batman '66 is the best Batman.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Just a reminder The Best Batman Elseworld The Batman Of Arkham is literally about Batman capturing criminals and taking them to Arkham so that cutting edge psychologist Bruce Wayne gives them the care and treatment they need to reenter society.

Killer Croc is his buddy. It loving ruled.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mr. Maltose posted:

Just a reminder The Best Batman Elseworld The Batman Of Arkham is literally about Batman capturing criminals and taking them to Arkham so that cutting edge psychologist Bruce Wayne gives them the care and treatment they need to reenter society.

This sounds awesome. Is it only one issue? It's all I see on comixology.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This sounds awesome. Is it only one issue? It's all I see on comixology.

It's an Elseworld so it's basically an annual-sized single issue. I think you might also be able to find it in a collection of Batman Elseworlds, but I might be remembering wrong there.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Mr. Maltose posted:

Maltose knows what's up.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yes, but he'd present the checks to ladies dressed in swim suits wearing sashes of the charities they represent.

Which was an actual episode.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Gavok posted:

Maltose knows what's up.

That justifies the hype

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gavok posted:

Maltose knows what's up.

This is legitimately one of my favorite versions of Batman and it always made me very frustrated because "Fights villains at Batman, works to help and rehabilitate as Bruce Wayne" is something I like a lot more than "Fights villains as Batman, bangs supermodels and pretends to get drunk as Bruce Wayne."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's not like anyone would think a very peaceful and reasonable philanthropist is also a crazy person who dresses in an animal-themed gimp suit to beat up the mentally ill anymore than the playboy cover.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

This is legitimately one of my favorite versions of Batman and it always made me very frustrated because "Fights villains at Batman, works to help and rehabilitate as Bruce Wayne" is something I like a lot more than "Fights villains as Batman, bangs supermodels and pretends to get drunk as Bruce Wayne."

But Batman isn't Batman if he isn't a shell of a human being dedicated 100% of all time to Batmanning???

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

WickedHate posted:

But Batman isn't Batman if he isn't a shell of a human being dedicated 100% of all time to Batmanning???

Only when he's written poorly. Which is most of the time.

As Waid so excellently put it in Kingdom Come: "When you scratch everything else away from Batman, you're left with someone who doesn't want to see anybody die." The best Batman is the one who cares more about protecting the innocent than punishing the guilty.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I may have said this before, but somewhere in the multiverse is a Bruce Wayne who diverted every penny of the Wayne fortune into inner-city schools, and works as a social worker. Alfred is also a social worker. Dick Grayson and all the others are just kids who needed help and, with his help, have made careers. He doesn't ever throw a punch. No bats, no supervillains.

He is, of course, still best friends with Superman.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

qntm posted:

I may have said this before, but somewhere in the multiverse is a Bruce Wayne who diverted every penny of the Wayne fortune into inner-city schools, and works as a social worker. Alfred is also a social worker. Dick Grayson and all the others are just kids who needed help and, with his help, have made careers. He doesn't ever throw a punch. No bats, no supervillains.

He is, of course, still best friends with Superman.

Did somebody throw a hardcover copy of The Jungle through his window at the critical moment

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Phy posted:

Did somebody throw a hardcover copy of The Jungle through his window at the critical moment

Thus began Bruce Wayne's career in a Guns n' Roses cover band.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Gavok posted:

Maltose knows what's up.

Who's the artist here? It gives off a very EC style vibe.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Yvonmukluk posted:

There's an episode where he runs for mayor against the Penguin. He refuses to kiss babies because it's unhygienic.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

There's an episode where he runs for mayor against the Penguin. He refuses to kiss babies because it's unhygienic.

Whereas Penguin doesn't even take his cigarette holder out while kissing tykes.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l63SRpGXBHE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgJ5AcsXp4M

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 22, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Anyone have a link to the previous Badass panels thread? I got archives, but I can't find it.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Anyone have a link to the previous Badass panels thread? I got archives, but I can't find it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3280398

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wow, we were still using Waffleimages in 2010? Crazy.

Thanks!

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Gavok posted:

Maltose knows what's up.

My personal favorite panel in that book was Gordon freaking out at seeing Croc walking around.

:monocle: "Killer Croc! Last time I saw him he swore revenge!"
:wave: "Morning, Commish."

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Like an idiot, I assumed folks meant he ran for mayor as Bruce Wayne.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

If I lived in Gotham, I'd be much more likely to vote for Batman than some rich guy.

Of course, if I lived in Gotham I'd move, too.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
I've always felt that the great tragedy of Batman, and why he contrasts so well with the Joker and Superman, is that in the end, he's as crazy as the Joker. It's an impossibly controlled and beneficial insanity, but Bruce Wayne when he saw his parents shot to death snapped just as hard when a failed comedian took off a helmet and saw his face was all messed up.

It makes moping and being an rear end in a top hat redundant too.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Johnny Aztec posted:

That is completely retarded. A super wealthy person like wayne has waaaay more power and ability to change things, than some rear end in a top hat in a cape.

I've heard this arguement used to justify why batman sucks and isn't helping gotham and I thought Chris Sims did a good rebuttal to it.

http://comicsalliance.com/ask-chris-250-misinformation-about-batman/

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Besides, as Sims notes, better social programs and charity isn't gonna stop the Joker or Bane or the League of Shadows or etc.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

quote:

one definitive answer to why Batman doesn’t kill the Joker [...] [The Joker] lives in a world where ghosts exist and literally no one wants to deal with the Ghost Joker

:gonk:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Sounds like a Ghostbusters/Batman crossover waiting to happen to me

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

WickedHate posted:

Besides, as Sims notes, better social programs and charity isn't gonna stop the Joker or Bane or the League of Shadows or etc.

also the founding fathers summoned a bat demon that was trapped under gotham city which exerts an evil influence on everyone who lives there

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

WickedHate posted:

There wouldn't be no Bane if his country had prison reform!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Has the Spectre ever dealt with the Joker?