Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

Drifter posted:

There will never be a playthrough in which Kiera and Geralt don't have a picnic. :colbert:

That's just before! And it also drives the point (heh) further! Quiet before the storm, happiness before sadness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

admataY posted:

Blood and Wine could have used a villain as interesting as Hearts of stone's villain but its still great and the new region is so amazingly pretty .

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

At the very least they needed to spend more time showing us why we should feel sympathy/empathy for him.

I'm starting blood and wine tonight, but the point above about sympathy/empathy is what so many movies/books/video games get completely wrong.

You need to develop a character, The introduction to Olgeird Von Everec in the house is just so perfect. A band of interesting characters and this man who is well spoken and comes off as lost his lust for life already. From the start you know he's trying to fill a void.

Next,
Gaunter O'Dimm is introduced extremely well and from the start you're already captured wanting to know more about this person.

Heart of Stone Spoilers below

As it continues, you start to get a very good sense of how Olgeird has a moral code but you can see the confliction, the tasks unravel a man who has a sad story in the name of forbidden love.

You also get a great sense of his brothers character and olgeirds indirectly and get your first taste of Gaunter O'Dimms true nature during the first task
the second task gives you a great insight of driving force behind Olgeird.
the third task really paints a great picture of the man olgeird is and why you should feel sympathy towards him.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
You shouldn't actually feel ANY sympathy for Olgierd.

He was a murderous bandit BEFORE anything bad happened to him. Maybe you can be empathetic of his suffering, but gently caress that guy.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
Any recommendations on a more for new game plus which gives you all the crafting recipes so I don't have to feel compelled to do the scavenger hunts? Also one that just gives me sufficient ingredients would need cool too.

Or maybe just give me the armor.

I know I could look on Nexus but I greatly dislike that website.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Drifter posted:

You shouldn't actually feel ANY sympathy for Olgierd.

He was a murderous bandit BEFORE anything bad happened to him. Maybe you can be empathetic of his suffering, but gently caress that guy.

poo poo just got out of control. From the flashbacks he didn't seem like a terrible rear end in a top hat.

Also Gaunter could have Eredin on a bind and I'd still go against him because I can't imagine what suffering their eternal souls would go through in the end.

And because one-upping the Devil is always cool.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
I loving love the fact that the Dwarf explosion expert for the heist in Hearts of Stone actually forces you to make a choice on whether or not he's hired when you do the "exit conversation" option to ponder your choices. It just feels so right that he wouldn't accept to just stand there for three days while you're out deciding if he's hired after trolling him down from the roof.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Goddamnit why couldn't I stop Djikstra from killing Roche without having to hand the north to Nilfgard :smith:

EDIT: speaking of Nilfgard I can't believe I didn't recognise Charles Dance up until now. No wonder I was thinking his voice acting was so loving perfect.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Oct 20, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Halser posted:

poo poo just got out of control. From the flashbacks he didn't seem like a terrible rear end in a top hat.

Also Gaunter could have Eredin on a bind and I'd still go against him because I can't imagine what suffering their eternal souls would go through in the end.

And because one-upping the Devil is always cool.

He was definitely a tremendous rear end in a top hat even before Gaunter, what with the murder and raping and pillaging.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

MikeJF posted:

Goddamnit why couldn't I stop Djikstra from killing Roche without having to hand the north to Nilfgard :smith:

EDIT: speaking of Nilfgard I can't believe I didn't recognise Charles Dance up until now. No wonder I was thinking his voice acting was so loving perfect.

you could always not do the quest and let madovid win, though it's not the best ending to put it mildly. It's impressive how much of what happens at the end of the game revolves around Roche's fate

I felt the voice was too old for the character in-game, though that may have been influenced by having Charles Dance's face to put it to more than it being an older guy's voice

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, I hate-loved that part. Politically, I 100% agreed with djikstra but...you gotta stand by your bro :(

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
I wish they would have given me a reason to not like Roche. No reason not to stand by him as far as I can tell. Plus the other guy acts like a dirtbag to you the whole time.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
His silly hat. :colbert:

Olgierd was a bad dude to start with and deserved what he got.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 20, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
gently caress Roche. I couldn't care about him at all. It's my boy Thaler I can't let him kill.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

gently caress Roche. I couldn't care about him at all. It's my boy Thaler I can't let him kill.

Yeah, Roche mixed himself in with the underworld so i would not have cared that much, but Thaler is a bro right up there with Zoltan so it ain't happening.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So I just saw a vid that seemed pretty cool. Haven't finished the game so this is deffo spoilers but the whole thing is about time/interdimensional travel? Saw a video with Ciri talking about Cyberpunk and the Wild Hunt being after her because their world is hosed. If that's not a joke then that's pretty cool and I should get around to finishing the game.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Thaler's great and all, but he's not the one who dropped everything to help you defend Kaer Morhen.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Robo Reagan posted:

So I just saw a vid that seemed pretty cool. Haven't finished the game so this is deffo spoilers but the whole thing is about time/interdimensional travel? Saw a video with Ciri talking about Cyberpunk and the Wild Hunt being after her because their world is hosed. If that's not a joke then that's pretty cool and I should get around to finishing the game.

It's not a joke, it is pretty cool, and you should be finishing the game.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Robo Reagan posted:

yeah part of the whole thing with Ciri is she can move between worlds, and the Wild Hunt want to use her powers for their own gain.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Stumpus posted:

I wish they would have given me a reason to not like Roche

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

WoodrowSkillson posted:

yeah part of the whole thing with Ciri is she can move between worlds, and the Wild Hunt want to use her powers for their own gain.

Their own gain in this case being "saving our own civilization from dying."

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ZearothK posted:

Their own gain in this case being "saving our own civilization from dying."

History is written by the winners, not the losers. :colbert:

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

The Wild Hunt enslave and kill everything that's not their own - if they're allowed to settle in this world, it's bad news. Also, Avallac'h only protects Ciri because he still has a raging hard-on for Lara Dorren.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Nycticeius posted:

The Wild Hunt enslave and kill everything that's not their own - if they're allowed to settle in this world, it's bad news. Also, Avallac'h only protects Ciri because he still has a raging hard-on for Lara Dorren.

on their home planet they are at war with the unicorns and genociding them :v:

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Isn't the entire point of the conclusion that Ciri manages to stop The White Frost, which is what the Aen Elle are threatened by on their homeworld and why the hunt her in the first place? So they essentially meet their goal, if not in the way they imagined.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Joda posted:

Isn't the entire point of the conclusion that Ciri manages to stop The White Frost, which is what the Aen Elle are threatened by on their homeworld and why the hunt her in the first place? So they essentially meet their goal, if not in the way they imagined.

yes, and it effectively ends their interest in her as a result. assuming she lives, she is no longer of particular interest to the Aen Elle as they now have a succession to deal with, along with no longer being threatened by the White Frost, thats why she can be free to be either an empress or witcher

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

on their home planet they are at war with the unicorns and genociding them :v:

Unicorns are pretty much assholes too.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I like Roche because his obsession with Temeria borders on Pure-O. I imagine him just repeating Temeria in his head over and over.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Isn't the White Frost only due in millennia anyways? Besides, how do you even stop it when its described as unstoppable heat death entropy

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Black Lodge Palpek posted:

I like Roche because his obsession with Temeria borders on Pure-O. I imagine him just repeating Temeria in his head over and over.

i

what

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

dud root posted:

Isn't the White Frost only due in millennia anyways? Besides, how do you even stop it when its described as unstoppable heat death entropy

Well, you think happy thoughts about your dadGeralt, and then everything fades to white and there you go.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

She's the Lady of Space and Time, so she teleports over there and rewinds the watch that makes sure that the universe doesn't explode. If Geralt's a lovely dad, she just, like, doesn't want to do it and stuff.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

Crappy Jack posted:

She's the Lady of Space and Time, so she teleports over there and rewinds the watch that makes sure that the universe doesn't explode. If Geralt's a lovely dad, she just, like, doesn't want to do it and stuff.

I read an interesting theory that the frost and Ciri's power stem from the same source. Ciri cuts herself off from her powers in order to also cut the frost off

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I am fond of the theory that if Geralt is a lovely dad Ciri closes the White Frost, survives, but decides to move on with her life and leave the Witcher's world behind.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

ZearothK posted:

I am fond of the theory that if Geralt is a lovely dad Ciri closes the White Frost, survives, but decides to move on with her life and leave the Witcher's world behind.

It's not that great of a theory because a lot of the good dadding is based around encouraging independence.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ciri was pretty independent by the books' end anyway, it is more of ditching her overbearing parents. The final "gently caress you dad".

Of course, the theory sinks if you ask Master Mirror how to help Ciri, since it proves she's dealing with an existential threat to herself.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Aen Elle are already getting chilly on their outskirts, so it's presumably close to "get the gently caress out while you can" by their standards anyway.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Question, does the beehive glitch still work? I pushed that fucker all the way over to the blacksmith, and he's just standing there not dying :colbert:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Mzbundifund posted:

Thaler's great and all, but he's not the one who dropped everything to help you defend Kaer Morhen.

Yeah, but that's like saying that Cerys isn't a bro while Hjalmar is.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

loquacius posted:

Question, does the beehive glitch still work? I pushed that fucker all the way over to the blacksmith, and he's just standing there not dying :colbert:

It's been disabled by a patch.

Just go some places of interest and sell junk, or use cheat engine if you must and are on PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boy Wunder
Dec 2, 2000

I'm playing through this game for the first time and really enjoying it, but I think I've come upon an annoying bug. I'm combat-focused and I want to use Cat School gear, so I did the quest for collecting the enhanced diagrams but when I go to an armorsmith none of the enhanced upgrades show up and for swordsmiths only the steel sword is available. The quest is marked as complete and I went back to one of the sites to make sure I had looted the diagram from the chest and there's nothing there. Am I screwed? Is there any way to cheat and give myself the items?