Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Super No Vacancy posted:

has neogaf made a run-down of all the companies identified as partners and what their biggest franchises are yet or do I have to

i'm waiting for gamexplain to pull out their old analysis machine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

I was right!

Suspicious Cook posted:

The Nintendo Bee Up U.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

:popeye:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The snapout controller grip looks like an adorable doggy head,

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

ITT a consumer argues that a movement in an industry towards an increased monopoly would be a good thing

Yeah, Nintendo's last console was a real monkey wrench in the plans of Sony and Microsoft.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

TheKingofSprings posted:

There's the couch multiplayer argument but hey games have been moving away from that for some incomprehensible reason
Not on PC. The couch multiplayer revolution is in full swing there. There's a new game I see practically every day on /r/localmultiplayergames, it's nuts. I have like 20-30 local multi games in Steam, and I have 7 or 8 more on my wishlist right now that I wanna get.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Toady posted:

Yeah, Nintendo's last console was a real monkey wrench in the plans of Sony and Microsoft.

Didn't MS just say "gently caress it, have a Minecraft" to WiiU or did I imagine that?

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Whoever chose the music for that video should have been taken out back and shot repeatedly in the head.

System kind of looks neat, not sure how much I like mini wii controllers though.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

If indie companies can publish to Switch easily, it could be the best thing to ever happen to multiplayer. Imagine playing Mount Your Friends or Duck Game on this.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
I am so god drat hyped for this console! I wonder if the $299 and $399 (bundle) prices are going to be legit and, if so, what the bundle will be. A game? A pro controller? The dock itself? I can't wait for more info and come on Pascal architecture!!

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
This will be a game changer.

Now i can bring the pad from the kitchen where i was using it to watch netflix to the bathroom without risking losing signal

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Geight posted:

I think those two games were chosen because they are extremely recognizable and there's no good solution to playing games like them on the go currently.

a lot of the complaints about this announcement seem to boil down to "i don't know what ads are"

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
This might be the first console I ever pre-order. Or at least buy at launch.

When Skyrim appeared in the commercial I actually gasped because I'm apparently the target demo for buying a five year old game that can go portable. That, and the Mexican inspired Mario, obvious GOTY 2017 Breath of the Wind, and apparent compatibility with the Wii U is getting me excited. I'm definitely interested to see how the portable aspect of the Switch works more than the home console though . (Show me the framerates.)

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
That was the best video ever.

"Hey friend, we're all socializing and having a rooftop party come over"

*brings a fuckoff huge tablet, and awkwardly encourages people to gather around tiny ipad to watch us play video games*

"I'm never inviting you to parties again"

Also holy lol if one of their selling points is a five year old mediocre rpg.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I appreciate how the first thing they show is the actual console itself and also that it looks super different from anything Nintendo has done to I guess avoid the marketing disasterpiece that was the wiiu and the still ongoing questions of so it's just an add on for the wii right?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Why would you need a screen protector? Smart phones don't get scratched, they just need to use high quality glass.

Lol if you have a screen protector on your cell phone.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Shneak posted:

This might be the first console I ever pre-order. Or at least buy at launch.

When Skyrim appeared in the commercial I actually gasped because I'm apparently the target demo for buying a five year old game that can go portable. That, and the Mexican inspired Mario, obvious GOTY 2017 Breath of the Wind, and apparent compatibility with the Wii U is getting me excited. I'm definitely interested to see how the portable aspect of the Switch works more than the home console though . (Show me the framerates.)
whatever compatibility there is with the wii u cannot be described as apparent

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

InFlames235 posted:

I am so god drat hyped for this console! I wonder if the $299 and $399 (bundle) prices are going to be legit and, if so, what the bundle will be. A game? A pro controller? The dock itself? I can't wait for more info and come on Pascal architecture!!

I'm hoping it's that. Base console + Nintendo Switch Sportsland for 300 and Base Console, NSS, Pro Controller and Breath of the Wild/Mario 3D 64 Galaxy for 400.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Calaveron posted:

I appreciate how the first thing they show is the actual console itself and also that it looks super different from anything Nintendo has done to I guess avoid the marketing disasterpiece that was the wiiu and the still ongoing questions of so it's just an add on for the wii right?

It reminds me a lot of the original DS

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Knifegrab posted:

*brings a fuckoff huge tablet, and awkwardly encourages people to gather around tiny ipad to watch us play video games*

It's unrealistic as gently caress, especially bringing it to a night time basketball game. You'd just be asking to get mugged in some places. This ad may convince some desperate loners though for the party situation, but yes the result would probably have a negative impact on their lives. As long as it's a sale for Nintendo, I guess the ad works!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Cicero posted:

Not on PC. The couch multiplayer revolution is in full swing there. There's a new game I see practically every day on /r/localmultiplayergames, it's nuts. I have like 20-30 local multi games in Steam, and I have 7 or 8 more on my wishlist right now that I wanna get.

Yeah seriously, couch multiplayer is as popular as gently caress right now. I could see not thinking that if you only do consoles, but they got rocket league and The ps4 is getting gang beasts.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
If I remember correctly there was a report that it's about 3x as powerful as the Wii U in terms of GFLOPs, which would put it around Xbox One level.

Nintendo games should have no framerate trouble at all. Skyrim... well it's Bethesda so I'll be impressed if it stays 30.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Knifegrab posted:

Also holy lol if one of their selling points is a five year old mediocre rpg.

So is it a fuckoff huge tablet, or is it a tiny ipad?

Because I have news for you regarding how many people actually do bring ipads and larger tablets to places

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I see you there in the dev list, ArcSys. god please put GGX Revelator on this, would be amazing

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ALFbrot posted:

So is it a fuckoff huge tablet, or is it a tiny ipad?

Because I have news for you regarding how many people actually do bring ipads and larger tablets to places

This is SA, any talk of what normal people do in social situations is completely hypothetical.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Chaltab posted:

If I remember correctly there was a report that it's about 3x as powerful as the Wii U in terms of GFLOPs, which would put it around Xbox One level.

Nintendo games should have no framerate trouble at all. Skyrim... well it's Bethesda so I'll be impressed if it stays 30.

I noticed later in the trailer, Zelda dips quite a bit on the tablet.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The tablet is like 6 or 7 inches. It's not fuckoff huge lol. There are literal phones with screens that large.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Teenage Fansub posted:

The snapout controller grip looks like an adorable doggy head,

Someone on Tumblr was way ahead of you:

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Someone on Tumblr was way ahead of you:

new pokemon looking good

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Snooze Cruise posted:

Yeah seriously, couch multiplayer is as popular as gently caress right now. I could see not thinking that if you only do consoles, but they got rocket league and The ps4 is getting gang beasts.

It sounds like it's "popular as gently caress" on PC, which means it doesn't translate to "popular as gently caress" in a real sense because that depends entirely on a couch being part of a PC setup.

Also sports games on consoles are huge couch coop games and always have been, but Games pretends sports games don't count because people who had sex in high school like them.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Phimosissy posted:

I realized that since both sides of the removable controller deal are wireless, there are no contacts to get mucked up by goony cheetofingers when it reconnects which means it's very likely using wireless even when it's physically connected

Welcome to the future

10 pages back but if that's the case I'm curious how you think the controller halves will charge, QI charging? Because if so then lol.

This thing looks like it's going to be a nightmare in the battery department, you have three separate pieces to charge, what happens when the controllers die? Is the only way to charge it to connect them back to the console and leave it on it's dock?

ColdPie posted:

Why would you need a screen protector? Smart phones don't get scratched, they just need to use high quality glass.

Lol if you have a screen protector on your cell phone.

lol if you think they're going to use expensive, high-quality screen glass on this thing.

Chaltab posted:

The Tegra 1 isn't that powerful, you're looking at 360 and PS3 performance.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Switch 3rd party support

Wii U 3rd party support

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i don't think the switch will ruin your rooftop party

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

A rerelease is good as a launch title though tbqh. Launch titles are hard to make, so just adapting an already made game is less work.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Just a reminder that BotW slows time when you pull out your bow in midair

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

Super No Vacancy posted:

has neogaf made a run-down of all the companies identified as partners and what their biggest franchises are yet or do I have to

Something not a lot of people are mentioning because they're all OMG OMG BETHESEDA and etc...

DeNA is on that list. A portable console that has the leader of the mobage market developing for it? poo poo's gonna print all the money. Sony/MS can't even tap that market at all, and it's a gold mine.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

MinibarMatchman posted:

I see you there in the dev list, ArcSys. god please put GGX Revelator on this, would be amazing

I'm looking forward to playing as Samus in GGX.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kashuno posted:

Just a reminder that BotW slows time when you pull out your bow in midair

The problem is the cutscene after he used the bow is also running at something god awful like 15 FPS.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Chas McGill posted:

Yeah, I guess I don't. I just feel that you already have consoles at home and then you have a mobile or a tablet for when you're out.

Hmm yea definitely doesn't seem like it would be cool to do that on one device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

s.i.r.e. posted:

10 pages back but if that's the case I'm curious how you think the controller halves will charge, QI charging? Because if so then lol.

This thing looks like it's going to be a nightmare in the battery department, you have three separate pieces to charge, what happens when the controllers die? Is the only way to charge it to connect them back to the console and leave it on it's dock?

lol if you think they're going to use expensive, high-quality screen glass on this thing.

The Tegra 1 isn't that powerful, you're looking at 360 and PS3 performance.

Good thing it isn't Tegra 1, then.

• Locked thread