Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Caidin posted:

I did the finale to the sith inquisitor storyline the other day and loved it, but I can't place the theme that plays right when you bust out the ghost power and beat thanaton into the ground and it's bugging me.

Does anyone who did that bit recently know it's name?
Do you mean this bit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
That is it precisely, thank you. It just sets an incredible tone for me.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Quote is not edit*

kippa
Aug 10, 2005

Fry, it's been three days. You can't keep boogie-ing like this. You'll come down with a fever of some sort.

Aka the bit where Luke loses his poo poo and goes full badass on Vader. It's such an amazing bit of music.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

The bit I always loved from that movie is the Emperor's theme. It's so ominous. I wish it was used a little more in Sith cutscenes.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

kippa posted:

Aka the bit where Luke loses his poo poo and goes full badass on Vader. It's such an amazing bit of music.
Great scene in all respects to be sure.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
The music in Star Wars has always been exceptional.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

So I've been playing a Guardian and I really want to like it because I really like T7 and really like Kira and very much enjoy being 'good' again [my past two characters were a BH and a SI] but holy poo poo, how do people play non ranged classes in this. It feels so much slower compared to my SI, who I just threw down a lightning storm up until makeb, and killed entire groups of mobs. My two AOE moves suck and barely do a third of a normal mob's hp, my leap cooldown means I basically kill one group of mob, then have to physically run up to another, then I can jump to the third...

I really like the animation for Blade Dance, but drat I think Melee just isn't for me.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

So I've been playing a Guardian and I really want to like it because I really like T7 and really like Kira and very much enjoy being 'good' again [my past two characters were a BH and a SI] but holy poo poo, how do people play non ranged classes in this. It feels so much slower compared to my SI, who I just threw down a lightning storm up until makeb, and killed entire groups of mobs. My two AOE moves suck and barely do a third of a normal mob's hp, my leap cooldown means I basically kill one group of mob, then have to physically run up to another, then I can jump to the third...

I really like the animation for Blade Dance, but drat I think Melee just isn't for me.

I can't get over the JG male voice sounding like a slightly more advanced speak and spell

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Everquest Raids were 72 players if I remember correctly. They were a nightmare to organize but it did leave you some slack on trash clearing when someone had to AFK for any reason. I recall when I applied to the end game raiding guild on Cazic-Thule I was used to tank all the trash in the third area of the Plane of Time while the rest of the tanks hosed off for a smoke or a drink. WoW started out with 48 man raids but those got shrunken down as the MMO playerbase changed. Honestly I don't think you could do a game with massive player raids unless you could insure that the guilds could be big enough and even then it would be a huge hassle.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Everquest raids did not have a maximum amount of players. You also had no instancing, so you could have multiple guilds competing for the same raid, resorting to training and other devious tactics to wipe the other one.

WoW maximum was 40-man.

:goonsay:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

KittyEmpress posted:

No one ever said the Light would be the easy path.

It's probably never crossed your mind that you don't have to murder everyone has it, sith?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

kippa posted:

Oh man, they used that in SWTOR? I love that part of the music, now I feel bad that I play with my own music all the time and I missed it.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

KittyEmpress posted:

Try speccing into Focus. You get more range on your attacks and it buffs Force Sweep out the rear end.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Jan posted:

Everquest raids did not have a maximum amount of players. You also had no instancing, so you could have multiple guilds competing for the same raid, resorting to training and other devious tactics to wipe the other one.

WoW maximum was 40-man.

:goonsay:

Racing other guilds to kill a snake is SSRA. Why did I think that was fun.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

KittyEmpress posted:

Years ago it definitely felt a little off to me when I played years ago, where I was murdering a whole pack of fools with rockets on the Bounty Hunter, and a Sith Juggernaut had trouble fighting just fighting a mob one level above you.

It still does when you can still murder with a brutal efficiency as a BH/Trooper, and your JG/SJ reserves a blade dance/ravage for like two thirds of every skytrooper.

The good thing is, you get most of your skills early, so you never run out of attacks as a guardian then, in contrast to finally getting the skill that resets my Blade dance/Ravage at loving 45, when i'm at voss, and i hate voss

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

the only reason i feel tempted to return to this game is because of how awesome powertech is at tanking, but then i remember they dont release group content so gently caress it :jerry:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Percelus posted:

the only reason i feel tempted to return to this game is because of how awesome powertech is at tanking, but then i remember they dont release group content so gently caress it :jerry:

I suspect the Uprisings will see quite a bit of activity up front. Then trickle down.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Aleth posted:

The music in Star Wars has always been exceptional.

Having played both SWTOR and STO, this is a huge point in the former's favor. Being able to use the actual music from the series and compose in the same style instead of lame soundalike muzak really helps sell the feel that you are a part of the experience and not just futzing around in some irrelevant off-brand corner of the franchise. Compare those uses of iconic SW themes above to say, when the story leads you to DS9 for the first time or your encounters with the Borg in STO, without the equivalent themes available it's a little lacking.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Just resub'd, so here my referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/bS3L87

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

McSpanky posted:

Having played both SWTOR and STO, this is a huge point in the former's favor. Being able to use the actual music from the series and compose in the same style instead of lame soundalike muzak really helps sell the feel that you are a part of the experience and not just futzing around in some irrelevant off-brand corner of the franchise. Compare those uses of iconic SW themes above to say, when the story leads you to DS9 for the first time or your encounters with the Borg in STO, without the equivalent themes available it's a little lacking.

Binary Sunset...pretty much the pinnacle by which all other original soundtracks are judged.

Also Focus does good early AoE but Vigilance surpasses it at 58 with Vigilant Thrust.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

Binary Sunset...pretty much the pinnacle by which all other original soundtracks are judged.

Also Focus does good early AoE but Vigilance surpasses it at 58 with Vigilant Thrust.

I know Vengeance and Vigilance is better but dammit if Rage doesn't just FEEL more powerful.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
So I just completed Chapter 16 on a DvL character so I could get the, eventual, companion. Has there been any word if we'll need to have it completed to start the next series on a character, because I'd rather take my Bounty Hunter through it when it comes out but I'm not thrilled about repeating all that over again on him.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

nessin posted:

So I just completed Chapter 16 on a DvL character so I could get the, eventual, companion. Has there been any word if we'll need to have it completed to start the next series on a character, because I'd rather take my Bounty Hunter through it when it comes out but I'm not thrilled about repeating all that over again on him.

I would assume so if those choices in KOTFE are going to carry over (not in any MEANINGFUL way mind you).

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Jan posted:

In fairness our maximum raid count back then was whatever the zone could handle. We crashed zones pretty often. I think one of my favorite nights was when we killed Ventani and loosed Kerafyrm on a bunch of populated zones. First and only time I've ever seen EC crash due to player count.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

nessin posted:

My assumption is you'll be able to start KOTET at 65 just as you can start KOTFE at 60 with no prior story played. You'll also be getting a "Start at 65" character who has KOTFE "completed" already.

I'm sure you know, but you have to do at least through Eternal level to get the companion. That means (at minimum) leveling a second character through 65 (though if you already did SoR and KOTFE you can do it however you feel like).

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
But why stop at two, eh?

neurotic
Apr 27, 2013

has it been confirmed that we won't be able to progress any DvL achievements once the event is over? Basically what I'm asking is if I start a bunch of new characters during the event, can I complete the level 50 achievements after the event is over (but the characters were still created during the event, and so will have the DvL flag set) to complete the final tier?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

neurotic posted:

has it been confirmed that we won't be able to progress any DvL achievements once the event is over? Basically what I'm asking is if I start a bunch of new characters during the event, can I complete the level 50 achievements after the event is over (but the characters were still created during the event, and so will have the DvL flag set) to complete the final tier?

Yes, the event is over when it ends.

neurotic
Apr 27, 2013

Medullah posted:

Yes, the event is over when it ends.
Right, a vague answer to a specific question doesn't really help but thanks for the reply.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

neurotic posted:

If it were possible to get achievements and rewards after the event is over, then it's not really over, is it?

neurotic
Apr 27, 2013

prefect posted:

If it were possible to get achievements and rewards after the event is over, then it's not really over, is it?

And that is my question, which isn't clear to me. Does the ending of the event include the impossibility of earning any achievements on characters created during the event? You have to make assumptions to say yes. Anyways, I'll just assume yes and be like everyone else.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

neurotic posted:

Right, a vague answer to a specific question doesn't really help but thanks for the reply.

It's not meant to be vague. DvL is an event, not a permanent addition to the game. It has a set end date, so the achievements for completing goals during the event must be achieved during the event.

It's the same with every event. They may bring it back again sometime, but the event must be going.

neurotic
Apr 27, 2013

Medullah posted:

It's not meant to be vague. DvL is an event, not a permanent addition to the game. It has a set end date, so the achievements for completing goals during the event must be achieved during the event.

It's the same with every event. They may bring it back again sometime, but the event must be going.

But it isn't the same with every event. During Bounty Contract Week, bounties exist that don't exist otherwise. During the Rhakghoul event, an area that doesn't normally exist in the game is turned on. The DvL achievements state things like this: "Defeat 50 Gree Droids with any character created during the Dark vs Light event." See the difference?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

neurotic posted:

But it isn't the same with every event. During Bounty Contract Week, bounties exist that don't exist otherwise. During the Rhakghoul event, an area that doesn't normally exist in the game is turned on. The DvL achievements state things like this: "Defeat 50 Gree Droids with any character created during the Dark vs Light event." See the difference?

Somebody has asked this on the official forums, so if there's going to be an official answer, it will be there: http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=9082267&postcount=2526

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

neurotic posted:

And comparing it to the Rakghoul event, even if you carry the plague over to the next week, it's no longer contagious and you can't gain the achievement.

I suppose it's always a possibility but I can't see them deviating from the norm as far as events go.

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

neurotic posted:

Not sure how it is here but seems like those "Bounty Contract Week" events are recurring events while DvL is one-time-only event. So when it ends, everything related to it does too.

---

Noob question 1: so with the super xp bonus going on, i'm leveling way too fast for the pace of the 'normal' progression line so i'm pretty much only doing "main story" quests and other "pink" ones.

So my question is, are those other "pink" ones required for anything or can i just ignore them and focus only on the main story? What i mean by other is: after Coruscant, i went to Taris (Republic side) i think and besides the main story quest there, a few others showed up (deal with some Torluka, some medical thingie, corrupt guy running a camp,etc).

Noob question 2: is chat faction locked? Or can Imps and Reps use the same chat? If so, is there a 'global' goon chat channel for the PVE server? (Jedi Covenant?) If not, do we a discord channel or something like that?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

madstrike posted:

Noob question 1: so with the super xp bonus going on, i'm leveling way too fast for the pace of the 'normal' progression line so i'm pretty much only doing "main story" quests and other "pink" ones.

So my question is, are those other "pink" ones required for anything or can i just ignore them and focus only on the main story? What i mean by other is: after Coruscant, i went to Taris (Republic side) i think and besides the main story quest there, a few others showed up (deal with some Torluka, some medical thingie, corrupt guy running a camp,etc).

Those are the planetary story quests. They're not mandatory, but they do get locked off once you start KOTFE. You can do them any time up until them. Other than that, they're not really special, except that they link together to form a chain story.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

madstrike posted:

Noob question 2: is chat faction locked? Or can Imps and Reps use the same chat?

General chat is, but /say isn't faction locked so you can talk to the other faction if they are nearby. Even in warzones!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

prefect posted:

Those are the planetary story quests. They're not mandatory, but they do get locked off once you start KOTFE. You can do them any time up until them. Other than that, they're not really special, except that they link together to form a chain story.

So outside of the pink/purple stuff for the main story, once you start KOTFE, can you come back and play whatever gold colored quest is left at any time?

• Locked thread