Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Knifegrab posted:

It is really heartwarming when I see the huge circles of people all gathered around playing their 3ds's together

sorry that seeing 2 strangers sitting near each other having a pokemon battle reminds you of your loneliness, do you also get angry when you see two people sharing a pair of headphones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

This is like people saying an iPhone commercial is misleading because they don't take pictures in the Amazon or while climbing the Himalayas or whatever.

i wonder if the genius bar ever had to deal with complaints that the ting tings' "shut up and let me go" wasn't playing on a 24/7 loop for all iphone users

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Snooze Cruise posted:

Can there please be one thread on this site where we don't complain about millennials

No, get a job you lazy millennial.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

If I ran nintendo I'd just steal the old Revolution Day trailer and make it a real product

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tnxy_MnwK1M

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

https://twitter.com/MaxScoville/status/789138411231678465

e: whoops, wrong link

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Buca di Bepis posted:

Living well isn't hard if you're not dumb

What's life like being a smart person(TM)

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

wicka posted:

it's not even a misleading advertisement. it's a teaser trailer. it's not meant to display final game performance. you should never judge something as detailed as video game framerates from an ad, much less a pre-release ad for hardware and software that doesn't even exist. this is the single most insane thing i've ever had to explain to adults.

please stop whinging about this. it is an ad. the framerates of the footage they cut into the ad is completely and utterly irrelevant. i'm sorry if this is news to you, please deal with it privately.

Now explain it to me like I'm not capable of differentiating the value between sources of information.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Buca di Bepis posted:

resident of des moines iowa spotted

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Buca di Bepis posted:

BOOTSTRAPS MOTHERFUCKER

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

wicka posted:

it's not even a misleading advertisement. it's a teaser trailer. it's not meant to display final game performance. you should never judge something as detailed as video game framerates from an ad, much less a pre-release ad for hardware and software that doesn't even exist. this is the single most insane thing i've ever had to explain to adults.

please stop whinging about this. it is an ad. the framerates of the footage they cut into the ad is completely and utterly irrelevant. i'm sorry if this is news to you, please deal with it privately.

No joke, your devoted defense of this ad is weird as hell.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

unlawfulsoup posted:

No, get a job you lazy millennial.

Shut up dad!

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

I approve.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Shut up dad!

I am not putting the money in your debit account so you can buy that nintondo switchboard. Also, pick up your anime figurines, mom almost tripped on one this morning and...

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Knifegrab posted:

What's life like being a smart person(TM)

good

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Toady posted:

No joke, your devoted defense of this ad is weird as hell.

i would argue that it is a devoted defense of sanity

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

unlawfulsoup posted:

This is a million times less awkward than VR, and all of the social pics of VR are hysterical. Nothing more sociable than having a loving helmet strapped to your face.

Yeah, that was kind of my point.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Ometeotl posted:

Yeah, that was kind of my point.

I was agreeing. vOv

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

wicka posted:

If it's pre-rendered footage and they had complete control over whatever was shown on the screens, it's both weird and dumb that they chose not to use their highest-quality footage. That's what people are talking about, not whether or not the ad is an accurate representation of the actual system, hth

Like I don't expect a Big Mac patty to look like the finest prime beef like in the commercials, but if Burger King ran an ad and the burger they showed was a candid photo of a week-old patty, you'd wonder why they didn't use a better image of a hamburger. This is the same thing. The whole point of pre-rendered footage is you can make it look as good as or better than the actual gameplay, so making a conscious decision to use lovely footage is just bizarre.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 20, 2016

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Ometeotl posted:

Some of you guys are right, it WOULD make you look silly bringing your game console tablet hybrid to a social event with your friends. And we all know that modern gaming is not at all trying to push people into looking silly.

This is where you pretend I posted a bunch of pics of people using the PSVR, Oculus Rift or Vive.

the difference is when I pull out my PSVR at a pool party we all know we're retarded dorks wasting our lives with gaming escapism. When you pull out a Nintendo Switch at a basketball court your friend on his phone is just gonna ask you to quit bothering him with your mobile game console while he's already doing mobile poo poo on his own mobile phone.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Knifegrab posted:

Its pretty crazy they sold that well. I'd assume it was mostly in japan is or that US figures? Cause I never ever see them where I live in Cali.

are you real

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

unlawfulsoup posted:

I was agreeing. vOv

I'm glad I could see this romantic scene play out.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
This looks cool and I'm interested in hearing more about to see if it actually is cool.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Knifegrab posted:

We are practicing for when we meet up to play smash bros on the bball courts.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

youcallthatatwist posted:

Imagine this, except without having to carry around a tv everywhere.
God Smash is cool or whatever but I'm imagining eight player local multiplayer Splatoon. That would be heaven for me.

Also quick reminder for people in this thread: we've still barely heard anything about it. Please wait a little longer before crying about how there won't be games or the controller will be uncomfortable

No the smash group would definitely still carry around a tv even though the thing doesn't need to be docked

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Kelp Me! posted:

If it's pre-rendered footage and they had complete control over whatever was shown on the screens, it's both weird and dumb that they chose not to use their highest-quality footage. That's what people are talking about, not whether or not the ad is an accurate representation of the actual system, hth

Like I don't expect a Big Mac patty to look like the finest prime beef like in the commercials, but if Burger King ran an ad and the burger they showed was a candid photo of a week-old patty, you'd wonder why they didn't use a better image of a hamburger. This is the same thing.

He only understands arguments if you frame it with a car analogy just fyi

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Kelp Me! posted:

Like I don't expect a Big Mac patty to look like the finest prime beef like in the commercials, but if Burger King ran an ad and the burger they showed was a candid photo of a week-old patty, you'd wonder why they didn't use a better image of a hamburger. This is the same thing.

it's not the same thing. no one in their right mind is going to judge video game framerates based on this video. the concept you are suggesting, that nintendo should be ensuring that the footage cut into their ad is at least 60 fps, would never cross the mind of a sane person. no one should ever think this, ever. it is absolutely baffling why this conversation didn't end hours ago. it is an ad, people. you are viewing an ad with fake footage cut into fake displays of fake controllers held by actors and actresses. cool your jets.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Knifegrab posted:

Our first date is going to be waiting in line to buy a Switch.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
I just got the news.

So this is a Wii U without the touch screen, so not as good?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://twitter.com/onani_monster/status/789107742371741696

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

El Burbo posted:

No the smash group would definitely still carry around a tv even though the thing doesn't need to be docked

It would be a CRT, and a gas-powered generator for the bball court, because actually they are playing Melee.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I hope everyone enjoyed today's broadcast..... now, gaming can go anywhere. Nintendo Switch, an excellent innovation.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Nintendo is going to make so much money from kids loosing those controllers.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion >Games >Nintendo Switch: Not like this.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

wicka posted:

it's not the same thing. no one in their right mind is going to judge video game framerates based on this video. the concept you are suggesting, that nintendo should be ensuring that the footage cut into their ad is at least 60 fps, would never cross the mind of a sane person. no one should ever think this, ever. it is absolutely baffling why this conversation didn't end hours ago. it is an ad, people. you are viewing an ad with fake footage cut into fake displays of fake controllers held by actors and actresses. cool your jets.

I showed the trailer to my wife who hasn't played a video game since the original Super Mario Bros. and one of her first comments was "why does the game look so choppy when he's playing it on the small screen?"

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

BexGu posted:

Nintendo is going to make so much money from kids loosing those controllers.

Taking just one of those controllers and ditching it somewhere, rendering the device essentially unusable, is going to be 2017's Top Play for bullies.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Maybe Nintendo wanted to buck the trend of trailers over-promising something that underperforms, so they put that framerate drop in Zelda in there so that when it launches people will be like "wow it runs so good"

Also, I'm hosting a rooftop BBQ with Switches, and Knifegrab is invited (so we can push him off)

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Kelp Me! posted:

I showed the trailer to my wife who hasn't played a video game since the original Super Mario Bros. and one of her first comments was "why does the game look so choppy when he's playing it on the small screen?"

yes, so did one of my coworkers. and then he immediately realized "oh well it's an ad, it's just pasted in there," because he is not insane.

seriously what it is it going to take for y'all to stop posting about this

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I hope they make an Overwatch port for it so i can get angry at it in 10 minutes then go back to playing the pc version like the times I play Overwatch on the PS4

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

C-Euro posted:

This looks cool and I'm interested in hearing more about to see if it actually is cool.

Same.

I haven't even played a Nintendo game in like 8 years but this looks neat.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

tbf the "lol who the hell is going to play this on a basketball court at night" thing is almost as dumb as wicka's "god you guys it's just an ad, it's not real footage" argument. It's literally Generic Social Situation #487 and the realistic alternative would have been a 5 minute trailer showcasing 5 different people playing videogames alone in their rooms with headsets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ALFbrot posted:

Maybe Nintendo wanted to buck the trend of trailers over-promising something that underperforms, so they put that framerate drop in Zelda in there so that when it launches people will be like "wow it runs so good"

Also, I'm hosting a rooftop BBQ with Switches, and Knifegrab is invited (so we can push him off)

Do we have to make a blood pact after like in I Know What You Did Last Summer, or is this one of those things where we do a crime and then post a youtube of it after?

• Locked thread