Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Apple juice or white grape juice with sparkling water was my go to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

Dogfish, did you manage to get the Zofran? It's a life saver, and I can't recommend it highly enough. You will experience constipation the likes of which you can only imagine, though.

We went for our 12 week scan today. I actually have an actual baby growing inside me. All limbs and both brain hemispheres present and correct. Just waiting on the results of the combined test now.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
We're holding off on Zofran for now because the nausea seems to have taken a turn for the better, if you can believe that! I haven't puked for two days, and in those two days I've only dry-heaved maybe ten total times. A Christmas miracle, and it's not even Hallowe'en yet.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I wish you relief. Dry heaving is so painful and horrible. Gross story: my first morning sickness incident my husband had just taken a piss and hadn't flushed yet when I burst into the bathroom to start dry heaving into a toilet that hadn't been flushed. :barf:

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

54 40 or gently caress posted:

I wish you relief. Dry heaving is so painful and horrible. Gross story: my first morning sickness incident my husband had just taken a piss and hadn't flushed yet when I burst into the bathroom to start dry heaving into a toilet that hadn't been flushed. :barf:

That just made me dry heave.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Isn't pregnancy just so beautiful, you guys?

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010
Anyone have a ballpark of when babies will sleep on something nonhuman? Like the co-sleeper purchased for babies to sleep in? Right now we are sleeping in shifts, but that will be less possible when my husband goes back to work week after next.

The longest the goonling will go in the bassinet is 20 minutes. Swaddling does not help; he hates all three types of it we and the labor/delivery nurses have tried. White noise machine works great for me; kid is indifferent.

Most of what I've read/gotten out of people is "He's a newborn; he'll grow out of it", but I would love some anecdotes about when.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Unfortunately, the answer to that is "entirely depends on your specific model"

I know that's no help

cailleask
May 6, 2007

My current model is 2.5 years old and still insists on touching me in order to fall asleep at night so... yeah.

A warm water bag or bean bag pushed up against baby in the bassinet might help, or so rumor holds. Especially if it's wrapped in one of your pre-worn shirts.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

^^^ Minibug always preferred an incline until very recently. We put a thick quilt on a beanbag to make it firm. It's also closer to the floor for when she rolled off...

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Remember that your baby JUST came out of you. If you only knew two people in the entire world and everything about that world was new and intimidating, you wouldn't want to sleep alone either. The first couple of weeks include a lot of learning and zero adherence to a schedule, but nothing that's happening now is set in stone or necessarily reflective of how the next six months are going to be.

All babies are different of course but here are some sleep milestones: When babies regain their birth weight, they tend to sleep more deeply and for longer at night.Then, when babies hit about six weeks, they tend to sleep better alone. That happens again at about three months. Your baby might not be a chill baby who just goes down in his bassinette at three months and sleeps through the night, but it's probably not going to be quite as intense as this forever.

Are you taking lots and lots and lots of naps during the day? It really really sucks when your baby won't fall asleep but it sucks less if you've had at least some rest during the day. Having had some sleep during the day also will help you be relaxed about sleep at night, and the more relaxed you are, the more relaxed the baby will be.

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

Dogfish posted:

Remember that your baby JUST came out of you. If you only knew two people in the entire world and everything about that world was new and intimidating, you wouldn't want to sleep alone either. The first couple of weeks include a lot of learning and zero adherence to a schedule, but nothing that's happening now is set in stone or necessarily reflective of how the next six months are going to be.

All babies are different of course but here are some sleep milestones: When babies regain their birth weight, they tend to sleep more deeply and for longer at night.Then, when babies hit about six weeks, they tend to sleep better alone. That happens again at about three months. Your baby might not be a chill baby who just goes down in his bassinette at three months and sleeps through the night, but it's probably not going to be quite as intense as this forever.

Are you taking lots and lots and lots of naps during the day? It really really sucks when your baby won't fall asleep but it sucks less if you've had at least some rest during the day. Having had some sleep during the day also will help you be relaxed about sleep at night, and the more relaxed you are, the more relaxed the baby will be.

Right now we're sleeping in shifts (me mostly at night, my husband in the morning and then napping in the afternoon.) My husband just has to go back to work in a week and a half, and I don't want him falling asleep at the wheel, so I will have to pick up the slack. Probably going to be pretty brutal. I'm already more fatigued than I probably have a right to be, though I wonder how much of that is always being thirsty and don't respond by getting water as often as I should because there's a baby on my chest. Time to buy a couple more camelbacks, I guess.

The little guy is honestly a good sleeper; he'll go three hours at a time no problem at night, it's just a location issue.

I am working on getting him to spend time in the bassinet by playing/reading/singing while he's in it, or putting him in it when he is dead to the world asleep. So far we're at about 20 minutes before the crying starts.

ArmadilloConspiracy fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 19, 2016

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
If bed-sharing isn't an option for you and baby will sleep in the bassinette for a little bit when you put him into it, try putting him in the bassinette and putting your hand in there with him, gently resting beside him or or his belly, so he knows you're there. You can scootch the bassinette right up next to your bed and fall asleep like that. Alternately, if you're in the States, maybe look for a co-sleeper that attaches to the side of your bed? Lots of babies find they're close enough to their parents to sleep there.

Also, it sounds like you're getting zero day sleep? Unless you're getting eight consecutive hours in the night, you need to be sleeping in the daytime. You WILL get exhausted, and that's going to be a really bad scene for everyone. Do you have friends or family who can come help you out when your husband goes back to work? Not sleeping all night and then being solely responsible for a baby all day isn't a sustainable solution.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

ArmadilloConspiracy posted:

Right now we're sleeping in shifts (me mostly at night, my husband in the morning and then napping in the afternoon.) My husband just has to go back to work in a week and a half, and I don't want him falling asleep at the wheel, so I will have to pick up the slack. Probably going to be pretty brutal. I'm already more fatigued than I probably have a right to be, though I wonder how much of that is always being thirsty and don't respond by getting water as often as I should because there's a baby on my chest. Time to buy a couple more camelbacks, I guess.

The little guy is honestly a good sleeper; he'll go three hours at a time no problem at night, it's just a location issue.

I am working on getting him to spend time in the bassinet by playing/reading/singing while he's in it, or putting him in it when he is dead to the world asleep. So far we're at about 20 minutes before the crying starts.

You can slide a well worn tshirt as over the bassinet mattress like a sheet to help with the OH GOD THIS DEMON THING IS NOT MY MOM. With a newborn, there is no such thing as more fatigued than you have the right to be! You made an entire people and you're successfully keeping it alive, you can be practically comatose and still be well within your rights.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

1up posted:

You can slide a well worn tshirt as over the bassinet mattress like a sheet to help with the OH GOD THIS DEMON THING IS NOT MY MOM. With a newborn, there is no such thing as more fatigued than you have the right to be! You made an entire people and you're successfully keeping it alive, you can be practically comatose and still be well within your rights.

That's a good idea! I'll remember this, makes me think to use my house coat which is a thin fabric and touches my bare skin so it'd probably be perfect.

If the soreness is any indicator my boobs are about to have a growth spurt and no. Just no. These things are too big as it is.

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007
Co sleeping and a baby carrier of some sort! When my oldest was tiny I used to put her in a wrap and take a nap with her in there. For #2 we coslept from the start and it kept me from collapsing from exhaustion since I cant really nap while watching the older one.

They do grow out of that phase eventually so just do whatever you can to get everyone some sleep.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

If you're breastfeeding, that thirst is BRUTAL for a few months. The hospital gave us one of these MASSIVE cup things and I would have to fill it at least twice a day. That thing went whenever I did for a really long time. Definitely more camel backs -- you'll feel a bit better if you're getting enough water.

I did end up cosleeping (on a firm mattress with no blankets or pillows) throughout the infant period. Mostly my daughter slept with her head wedged into my armpit, and fed on and off during the night. I got some relief with a rock n play with a noise maker during the day, too.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

ArmadilloConspiracy posted:

Most of what I've read/gotten out of people is "He's a newborn; he'll grow out of it", but I would love some anecdotes about when.

One of the most helpful things I read as the mother of a newborn, was to think of the first three months of life as a fourth trimester. The only reason human babies are born after nine months is that after that, their heads grow too big to fit through our pelvis. It's not because they're finished at nine months. Newborns are used to food on demand, sleep on demand, always being warm and snug and lulled by your heartbeat and the sounds of your body, and ideally they'd have all those things for a bit more than nine months. When they come out, they have to learn how to do everything from not hitting themselves in the face because their hands aren't restricted by being in the womb anymore, to digesting food and sleeping without being inside another person. The first couple of months are so hard for a parent, and learning about the biology of human gestation like that helped me understand my daughter's needs better and be less frustrated about having to heed them non-stop.

Eponymous Bosch
Aug 11, 2010
Get help with a newborn! Seriously, a postpartum doula or your mother/sister/aunt who can bring dinner and hold your baby while you nap is a life saver. Be careful with the co-sleeping when you're this tired because positional asphyxia is real and terrifying. The Halo bassinet or similar is your safest bet.

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010
•The bassinet IS a sidecar co-sleeper. This is apparently not good enough for the goonling.
•I have tried the hand thing. It buys five more minutes sometimes.
•I do make a point of not letting him sleep on me if I'm not sufficiently awake. I hand him off/walk around/put him in the bassinet anyway. Sometimes that means I get a 20 minute "nap" during which I wake up whenever he makes a noise because I'm afraid he's going to die. Sometimes it means he cries until picked up again. I usually cave pretty quickly.
•We have slings/carriers I would love to use, but the pediatrician said to wait until he hits 8 pounds (he was 6 pounds, 6 oz at birth. ) Yesterday after the lactation appointment he was sleeping beautifully in his car seat, but then I second guessed, googled, and apparently that will also kill your baby.
•Family has come by sporadically. My mom even cleaned without being asked, and if she wasn't still working full-time I would have her stay with us in a heartbeat.
•I have the option of spending the time my husband is at work at my mother-in-law's place and having her help part of the day if I am completely overwhelmed, but would rather not do that for a variety of reasons.

We're going to take a look at the budget and see if my husband can stick around longer, or go back part time at first.

For what it's worth, I'm not as miserable as the posts make me seem. The level of fatigue is about what it's been for the last few months (it's just that what I have to do during the day has changed), and stitches aside I feel physically better than I have since my pregnancy started, and I love the little guy way more than I thought I would. I've cried a few times, but just from the good-overwhelmed bits, like my husband being just enchanted with him and making up songs for him, and seeing the dog immediately decide the baby is a new family member who must be in sight whenever possible instead of a loud intruder who takes all the attention.

Once the goonling gets the sleep thing a little more figured out this will be gold. Just need to survive until then.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Good god I hope FIL can help with child care because Mon-Thurs every week will cost us 20 grand a year. Still so early on but I had to get myself on a waiting list now since they're so long. I could obviously potentially go with a non-registered day care for substantially cheaper but I'm not crazy about that. I had a few as a kid that just stuck us in the basement and left us to our own devices.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
We're at 12 weeks and my little one just started being able to sleep alone, like 2 days ago. We've been trying pick up put down intermittently til now and it just started working. It really depends. We have tried a rock n play, a side car crib, a fisher price swing, and a mamaroo (which we bought then returned because we were desperate for something to work). He doesn't even sleep in the carseat, and screams through most car rides unless I have a bottle in his mouth. We ended up giving up and just bedsharing at night. I literally have the crib sidecarred, so he slept on the side where the crib is. I started working from home (grad student) at 4 weeks, and for naps he would sleep on my lap on a MyBrestFriend with a pillow on top so I could work through naps.

We did find walking with a ring sling worked really well, and we personally started using ours from day 1 and he was only 6oz.

edit Also, yoga balls worked a treat and seems to work for a lot of babies in getting them to sleep. I sometimes would bounce on a yoga ball at my desk to get him to sleep if he was super fussy. This is the one we use, he really likes the feel of the bounce on this one (we have 2 others that he doesn't like lol...): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K5VUQRG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

edit2 For water needs, my nalgene bottle has been amazing. I use this size (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ANR0Y5Q/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1) with this lid (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007S3P4ZI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I have to drink 4-5 liters of water a day to maintain my milk supply so, it's worth it being a little unwieldy.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 20, 2016

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

I've just had a call from the midwife. The results of our combined test are back and we've "screened positive" for Down's Syndrome with a 1 in 130 chance of having it. Our risk of Edward's and Patau's are about 1 in 7,000.
I've been sent home from work in tears, but I've managed to calm myself down a bit with some googling. Has anyone else had a similar result? Did you have a CVS? How did it go?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

It's a screening test, not a diagnostic test. Keep repeating that to yourself.

CVS and amnio are very safe. Do you want to know for certain if your child has Down Syndrome for whatever reason (terminate or carry to term decision, if continuing -- to mentally prepare, start reaching out to support services in your area, if there's anything that you or the docs could do that would be useful to help the rest of the pregnancy and delivery etc)

If you would terminate the pregnancy based on results, get the diagnostic test.

If you want to carry to term regardless and want the information so you know for sure, get the diagnostic test.

If you would carry to term and are the type who'd rather not know, then don't get it.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

LizzieBorden posted:

I've just had a call from the midwife. The results of our combined test are back and we've "screened positive" for Down's Syndrome with a 1 in 130 chance of having it. Our risk of Edward's and Patau's are about 1 in 7,000.
I've been sent home from work in tears, but I've managed to calm myself down a bit with some googling. Has anyone else had a similar result? Did you have a CVS? How did it go?

Any result higher than 1 in 200 counts as a positive screen. Remember that 1:130 is still a very low chance: less than 1%. What 1:130 means is that if you had 130 women who were the same age as you and had the exact same amounts in their blood of the hormones we test for, one of them would have a baby with Trisomy 21, and 129 would have babies without. Or, put another way, 0.7% of people who have exactly the same results as you have a baby with Trisomy 21, and 99.3% don't.

Here's how we picked 1:200 as the risk screening cutoff. Before the integrated prenatal screen was available, the only tests available were invasive: CVS or amniocentesis. These tests are definitive diagnostic tests (as opposed to the screening test you've had so far) but carry about a 1:200 risk of miscarriage. When we developed the non-invasive testing, its purpose was to reduce the number of people who had a potentially harmful test unnecessarily, so we made the cut-off for a positive screen the point at which the risk of the pregnancy being affected was equal to the risk of harm from the diagnostic test. That's all. It's not because 1:200 is a very high chance of true positive; it's just because we don't want to expose people to invasive testing unnecessarily.

Do you have access to a cell-free fetal DNA test like Harmony where you are? Where I work, if you have a positive first trimester screen you're eligible for Harmony on the government's dime. Cell-free fetal DNA testing isn't as accurate as an invasive test, but it's very close, and there's no risk to the pregnancy. Usually here if someone has a positive first trimester screen they get Harmony and then if that's positive they have an amnio. Some people choose to have invasive testing right away because they're sure they would terminate the pregnancy if it were affected, they don't want to wait for the Harmony to come back, and the risk of harm from the invasive procedure is worth it to them.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
I thought the Harmony was just a screening test too? We were given the exact same info about it as you just gave above about it being a x in y chance etc etc. Surely repeating a screening test isn't the greatest idea here seeing as it's likely to give the same result?

Lizzie in your position I would have wanted to know for sure, so I would go with a CVS (because they can generally be done a little earlier than amnio). But knowing might not be that important to you, idk, I don't want to put words in your mouth!

1 in 130 is pretty low still! <3

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Harmony is a screening test.

The only two diagnostic tests are CVS and amnio

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Sharks Below posted:

I thought the Harmony was just a screening test too? We were given the exact same info about it as you just gave above about it being a x in y chance etc etc. Surely repeating a screening test isn't the greatest idea here seeing as it's likely to give the same result?

Lizzie in your position I would have wanted to know for sure, so I would go with a CVS (because they can generally be done a little earlier than amnio). But knowing might not be that important to you, idk, I don't want to put words in your mouth!

1 in 130 is pretty low still! <3

Harmony is a screening test, just with much higher accuracy rates than first trimester screening. We use it as a second step because, again, the goal of screening is to prevent unnecessary use of invasive tests - the Harmony is so accurate that we can be comfortable that a positive Harmony screen is associated with a much greater risk of a true positive on amnio or CVS. Conversely, we can be fairly confident that a negative Harmony is likely to be a true negative result, which offers reassurance to the patient and prevents us from putting a probably healthy pregnancy at risk through invasive testing.

Harmony looks for cell-free fetal DNA, which is DNA from the fetus that's in the mother's circulation. The first trimester screen looks at a couple of different proteins and hormones in the mother's circulation. The reason Harmony is more accurate is because it gathers different information.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

But, again, it is still a screening test which will not give you a definitive answer.

If a definitive answer is important to you, go for a diagnostic test.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Yes, as I said in my previous post, Harmony is a screening, not a diagnostic test. Harmony has a detection rate of about 99% for Trisomy 21, and a false positive rate of 0.1%. CVS and amnio both have detection rates of 99.99% and false positive rates less than 0.1%.

Harmony doesn't directly sample fetal cells. Instead, it looks for cell-free fetal DNA in the maternal circulation, which comes from the placenta. The amount of cell-free DNA circulating varies between individuals, and if someone happens to have a particularly low amount in their blood, that could cause a false negative result. Both amnio and CVS examine samples directly from within the uterus, reducing the chance of error. Because they are invasive tests, they are more accurate and also carry more risk than Harmony, which is non-invasive.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Interesting! Thanks for explaining Dogfish.

The Harmony test was what was offered at my OB/midwife clinic so I didn't look into anything else for screening.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
I work in hippie socialized Canada so Harmony is only offered to people at elevated risk of an affected pregnancy (i.e. people who screen positive on the integrated screen) because it's super expensive vs. first trimester screening. Or patients can pay out of pocket and have it done at a private lab. My suspicion is that as it gets cheaper and more accurate over time, it will eventually replace first trimester screening as the initial screen offered.

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

Thanks for the input guys. I've got an appointment at the foetal care centre tomorrow. We've discussed it, and we want the CVS if possible. I'll keep you posted.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Good luck. Try not to worry too much in the meantime! Remember, 1:130 is still a very, very low risk.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
I've one week till my due date now :stare: and our girl cat has all of a sudden gotten really into sitting on my lap for hours at a time (when I am going to be able to play computer games for the last time in a long time)... it's really unusual for her.

I know that it is a 'thing' in the first trimester that they can smell some hormonal thing going on, but other than anecdotal evidence I've not read anything about the end part of pregnancy.

Has anyone else noticed changes in their pet's behaviour?

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Rondette posted:

When I was pregnant, my inlaws' cat loved snuggling up to my stomach, and she'd purr and my daughter would wiggle and kick about in response :3: (To be fair, I don't know if she kicked because she liked it or hated it, but the cat was clearly happy.)

(And my mother-in-law was super worried, because of some vague idea that the cat now believed that it was okay to sleep on top of the baby, who would then die. Or something. Once she was born, the cat checked her out a couple of times, then lost all interest.)

Mmmm Pie
Jun 17, 2007
Me like pie
My horse noticed I stick out more, and will sniff my belly. Every other creature is completely oblivious.

I'm 37 weeks and some change, and I've had 2 borderline high blood pressure readings this week, so I'm get to go get induced tomorrow. Thank goodness we had the shower last weekend!

My mom, in typical insane fashion, told me to tell the midwives to wait until Monday, because she didn't think my pressure was THAT high, and besides, she wanted to go overnight to the beach, lol. Sure mom, I'll totes pass that along. I then told her the hospital was on divert today, so rather than send me in tonight like they were planning I go in in the morning, so she wanted to know if I was still wanting to attend a funeral with her I'd said I'd go to previously.
Hmmmm.... that's gonna be a no.

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010
Update: my husband has made some sort of ritual sacrifice to the gods of swaddling. It's only midnight, and 4 hours of sleep already. :unsmith:

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rondette posted:

Our two cats have definitely figured out something's up. One is much more interested in dominant snuggles on/around the bump now ("I'll show you, you little fucker, who's the boss of this house"); the other keeps glaring at me and won't come near me. Should be fun in 11 weeks... I'm making my husband carry the kid inside the house for the first time, so he'll get the blame. It's a time-honored tradition; my mom did the same thing to my dad when I was born. She also stripped three-day-old the_chavi out of her diaper and tossed me in the floor for the dogs to sniff my butt. They never had a problem with me after that proper introduction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

After much hand-wringing, we've decided to have a CVS on Tuesday. We should have at least some of the results by Friday at the latest. I've draughted in the big guns, my Mum is coming to stay for moral support. Please cross everything you've got that it goes well, and the results are good.