Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Jerk McJerkface posted:

How many garbage tier seven year-olds are looking this and getting salty about the frame rate?

they're all already in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Did anyone mention that they're pitching this thing as a portable when it's the size of a boogie board?

Hipsters gonna strap some wheels on it and use it as a longboard to get to their rooftop parties.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Literally every kid under 8 everywhere all the time just walks around picking their nose and playing Minecraft on their parents iPad, so for Nintendo to go whole hog on a platform specifically designed for that is a great idea.

How many garbage tier seven year-olds are looking this and getting salty about the frame rate?

There should be a segment in the video where the parents are trying to have a nice dinner and their miserable child is acting out so they just give him the Switch and tell him to shut up and they get to have four minutes of peace.

Or a segment where where there's a husband playing the Switch on the TV, and she stands in front of the TV wanting to talk to her about their failing marriage, but he just gets up, picks up the screen and goes to the bathroom and locks himself in.

Come on Nintendo, these things write themselves.

Parents could be all "Our marriage is garbage tier" and while everyone else would be confused, the gamers in the audience would nod.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

wicka posted:

no one's saying that, bud, just that it's ludicrous to judge gameplay footage from a video that's not displaying actual gameplay footage, and is indeed just meant to be a high-level overview of the concept of the device

You understand that it's a high-level overview, made to point out the shiny new bells and whistles, but you don't understand why using crappy footage in this high-level overview is bad and dumb :psyduck:

You really do still think it's about frames per second and whether or not the ad is an accurate representation of reality :allears:

It's like you're watching Star Wars and when you catch a scene where you can see the camera in one shot, your first reaction isn't "huh, I'm surprised they didn't edit that out", but "well obviously Star Wars isn't a realistic representation of space travel, so who cares?"

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

it's called the nintendo switch because it will either be a top or be a bottom, depending on your mood

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Two things I am wondering about

1) are companies going to complain about the price of using solid state memory for their 50gb games? I love carts. I'm just wondering.

2) what OS is this thing going to be running? I'm assuming Android? If so, it will be hacked in 45 minutes

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

InFlames235 posted:

There's been plenty of framerate slow down on multiple "Breath of the Wild" gameplay videos so they probably just used one of those old videos on the Switch screen and it happened to have the frame slowdown we've seen in other videos. People need to stop freaking out. If the rumors of the Pascal architecture are true then it'll be about as powerful as an Xbone and PS4 and plenty powerful enough to run Zelda

This is Nintendo so I wouldn't get your hopes up about this system being Xbone powerful.

Suaimhneas posted:

If they do put Dark Souls on this, I hope there's local wireless multiplayer so you can invade people on the bus

Day one purchase.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I hope there was someone out there at Nintendo who was gonna call it the Swiitch originally only to be shut down immediately

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I really need Nintendo to do a livestream with the Switch so we can settle this infinite circular argument about the framerate on footage that was added in post to the screen area of a deactivated unit.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SeANMcBAY posted:

The N64 was kinda an exception when it came to Nintendo and frame rate plus I doubt they'll suddenly stop caring about that now that people actually pay attention to that poo poo.

They didn't care enough for their unveiling. :v:

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

2) what OS is this thing going to be running? I'm assuming Android? If so, it will be hacked in 45 minutes

Apparently it's own proprietary OS I think, so it'll be hacked quickly and :filez: will run rampant.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

loquacius posted:

It's called the Nintendo Switch because it fulfills your every desire when it's hooked up to a TV, then punishes you harshly when you take it somewhere else

am I doing this right

Hmm, I would have preferred the "Nintendo Switch, more like Nintendo bait-and-switch" format.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Biff Rockgroin posted:

Did anyone mention that they're pitching this thing as a portable when it's the size of a boogie board?

Hipsters gonna strap some wheels on it and use it as a longboard to get to their rooftop parties.

Those must be some really tiny boogie boards

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

InFlames235 posted:

There's been plenty of framerate slow down on multiple "Breath of the Wild" gameplay videos so they probably just used one of those old videos on the Switch screen and it happened to have the frame slowdown we've seen in other videos. People need to stop freaking out. If the rumors of the Pascal architecture are true then it'll be about as powerful as an Xbone and PS4 and plenty powerful enough to run Zelda

This is a good point. The footage might not even show a Switch build of the game hopefully with graphical improvements.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you don't know much about how commercials are made and you see the Switch ad, I can understand being concerned that the poor frame rate on the portable screen in Zelda would be worrying. But once you understand that there was nothing on the screen when it filmed, it was just a prop and the footage was added later by computers, that should be the end of the discussion

I mean, what the gently caress are you even arguing anymore? The company that made that ad used choppy footage at one point? So what? What the gently caress is the point of still acting like that matters at all?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

1) are companies going to complain about the price of using solid state memory for their 50gb games? I love carts. I'm just wondering.

Nintendo said a while ago it wasn't Android based, but I'm not convinced.

Also for number 1) Sdcards purchaed at bulk probably aren't so far off from the cost of high capacity discs, and probably avoid all the licensing costs. Also the removal of a spinning drive and load times are easily worth the few cents premium.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Kelp Me! posted:

You understand that it's a high-level overview, made to point out the shiny new bells and whistles, but you don't understand why using crappy footage in this high-level overview is bad and dumb :psyduck:

You really do still think it's about frames per second and whether or not the ad is an accurate representation of reality :allears:

It's like you're watching Star Wars and when you catch a scene where you can see the camera in one shot, your first reaction isn't "huh, I'm surprised they didn't edit that out", but "well obviously Star Wars isn't a realistic representation of space travel, so who cares?"

what's it going to take for you to grasp the simple fact that no one in their right mind pays attention to or cares about framerates in a teaser trailer

your star wars example is retarded lmao

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

iOS, actually

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Let's argue about the JNCOs you'll have to wear to carry this thing in your pants.

3, 2, 1...

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Guy Goodbody posted:

If you don't know much about how commercials are made and you see the Switch ad, I can understand being concerned that the poor frame rate on the portable screen in Zelda would be worrying. But once you understand that there was nothing on the screen when it filmed, it was just a prop and the footage was added later by computers, that should be the end of the discussion

I mean, what the gently caress are you even arguing anymore? The company that made that ad used choppy footage at one point? So what? What the gently caress is the point of still acting like that matters at all?

It matters because people pick it apart and flip out and that could have a negative impact.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

unlawfulsoup posted:

This is Nintendo so I wouldn't get your hopes up about this system being Xbone powerful.

Xbone still has bad RAM though, so it evens out.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

i think we should keep this ad discussion rolling for the next 100 pages

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I remember Gamecube and Wii screenshots and trailers would similarly get a lot of poo poo for not looking "their best" or being super smooth. But it was also very very clear that compared to Sony and Microsoft marketing, Nintendo would be showing footage that was actually pretty accurate to how the final game would end up running instead of literally getting sued for having ultra souped up screenshots like EA did for their Madden 2006 screenshots concept renders, Sony getting busted with Killzone 2, 2K Games with Bioshock etc. A lot of times I don't watch trailers for games at all because of that reason, I don't have $$$ for a max setting gaming PC so I already know there's no way in hell the game is going to look as good as it does in the trailers.

The EA one was funny because we got special flyers from EA at GameStop telling us very specifically how to promote the imagery in a way that we'd basically be saying "yeah this is what the game 'can possibly' look like" without outright saying it was a screenshot or that it's what the game would look like, but without saying it was just a 3D render of a football player either. The Bioshock one was interesting because 2K initially promoted it as an actual gameplay trailer, which was totally bullshit and obvious because besides the graphics at the time it had tons of poo poo going on you would never see in any FPS regarding how the characters would interact with each other and animation and such.

But they really quickly started calling it like a "theatrical" trailer and other stuff and no one cared because hype for Bioshock was so high. But it's interesting because 2K ended up making this sort of a tradition for the AAA games of both theirs and the ones put out under Bethesda, introducing each of their new games with a similar gameplay "concept" trailer. Killzone 2 was the best though, you can Google and find the Guerilla Games interview where they said after getting busted Sony was basically like "make the game look as good as the trailer or you're fired," to their credit they almost surpass it at points and did in fact make a great looking game but god drat marketing people LMAO.

Anyway I'm not really seeing the point in saying Nintendo should have what, deceived us harder? Because there isn't really a precedent for that in any of the videos or screenshots they've released since like 2003.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

For 1, it's like a few bucks at most for 32 gigs and i think it's actually well below that, they'll be fine.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

Let's argue about the JNCOs you'll have to wear to carry this thing in your pants.

3, 2, 1...

this is actually my only complaint with the new 3ds, it fits in no mortal's pocket

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

It matters because people pick it apart and flip out and that could have a negative impact.

OK. So what? What do you want us to agree with? What are you arguing against?

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Rudoku posted:

Xbone still has bad RAM though, so it evens out.

Xbone was about something bigger; like routing your whole entertainment system through your xbox while yelling commands at it, because that is what the people wanted.

univbee posted:

For 1, it's like a few bucks at most for 32 gigs and i think it's actually well below that, they'll be fine.

Nintendo doesn't care about 3rd party costs anyway. Mario 47 switchadick will fit on an economical 2gb card.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Zelder posted:

this is actually my only complaint with the new 3ds, it fits in no mortal's pocket

The trick is to be really fat. Bigger pants->bigger pockets.

I just carry a messenger bag everywhere. Your move, pocket people :smuggo:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Zelder posted:

i think we should keep this ad discussion rolling for the next 100 pages

as a frequent watcher of mad men my expert opinion on advertisements lying to me personally is

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

there are still people itt who mistakenly believe it is reasonable to judge video quality based on, as you say, footage that is pasted in after the fact simply to show "hey this is a screen that can play games, and here is a specific game it will play." like i suggested before, if you took these complaints to nintendo and said "people are concerned about the zelda framerate in this clip," it would probably break their brains. i don't think they'd be able to comprehend the fact that people care. even i'm struggling.

one guy keeps saying "why would they intentionally make it look worse?" he still doesn't understand that it doesn't make it look worse. it's totally irrelevant.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Brother Entropy posted:

as a frequent watcher of mad men my expert opinion on advertisements lying to me personally is

those dames really like their makeup

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

The trick is to be really fat. Bigger pants->bigger pockets.

I just carry a messenger bag everywhere. Your move, pocket people :smuggo:

i'm actually three inches high and look exactly like my avatar

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is it at all possible that Nintendo has ever shown any other Breath of the Wild footage? Do you think maybe they'll show more footage in the future? Because if that Switch trailer really is the only marketing they're doing for Breath of the Wild, they hosed up!

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Guy Goodbody posted:

OK. So what? What do you want us to agree with? What are you arguing against?

I'm just saying whether it's accurate footage or not to how the game actually looks, it has a negative impact, because not everyone thinks like you. Sorry.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Playing Ocarina of Time before bed every night was the best. A handheld is really all I want out of this. So I never have to move my fat rear end out of bed again.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

wicka posted:

there are still people itt who mistakenly believe it is reasonable to judge video quality based on, as you say, footage that is pasted in after the fact simply to show "hey this is a screen that can play games, and here is a specific game it will play." like i suggested before, if you took these complaints to nintendo and said "people are concerned about the zelda framerate in this clip," it would probably break their brains. i don't think they'd be able to comprehend the fact that people care. even i'm struggling.

one guy keeps saying "why would they intentionally make it look worse?" he still doesn't understand that it doesn't make it look worse. it's totally irrelevant.

This is true, I've run into very very few people that actually care about framerate as long as its relatively stable. There are tons of console games that constantly come out with regularly dipping or otherwise low framerates that are huge hits, it should be really obvious that no one cares.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

I'm just saying whether it's accurate footage or not to how the game actually looks, it has a negative impact, because not everyone thinks like you. Sorry.

but it doesn't have a negative impact, because normal people implicitly understand that it's not accurate footage and doesn't represent how the game actually looks

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Personally if I'm going on any trip where I have enough time to kill to get use out of a portable gaming console I'm carrying a backpack

Failing that, basically anything fits in my inside jacket pocket

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

But now that you understand how the ad was made, it didn't have a negative impact on you, right?

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I'm not a video guy but is it easy or hard to get a 30fps or 29fps or whatever the original footage was to not look choppy when put into a 24fps video?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

"the slowdown is bad"

"it's not likely indicative of the final product"

"yes but the slowdown is bad"

and then i'm just swinging from a rope

• Locked thread