Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

He tried to get Marla Maples to abort Tiffany.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'll be honest, I don't know what oppobomb can be bigger than Trump refusing to accept the results of the election.

Like yeah you got him on tape saying something racist? That's probably less important in the long run and anyone at this point ticked off at Trump racism isn't voting Trump.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Looks like the zealots among the conservatives are trying to give Paul Ryan the boot

Thread:

https://twitter.com/juddlegum/status/789175578494513153

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Night10194 posted:

He tried to get Marla Maples to abort Tiffany.

:stare: Well so rapist and attempted murderer. Also if Paul Ryan gets forced out on say November 9th, will that make him on of the shorter reigns for speaker?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Cingulate posted:

Plenty of leftists believe Bush has literally committed war crimes and is guilty of murdering hundreds of thousands, and they're not rioting. They're breaking into tears on podcasts and youtube videos, and protesting mostly peacefully, much like pro-life people.

Don't oversimplify this issue. Some of these people simply start at a very different premise from yours, and proceed from there with the same flawed mechanisms as everyone else.
We had a lot of Iraq war protests, but the media mostly didn't cover them. It's also a bit too late at this point since Obama made the decision (which i disagreed with) to just move forward. In hindsight it would have been a smart idea since the GOP wasn't going to work with him anyway.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I wasn't married yet so she wasn't quite my sister-in-law, but we were already family and she was expecting her first child. My first niece. I bought one of those little baby towels with the hood and little teddy-bear ears, and her name embroidered on it. You can get teddy bear ears on pretty much anything for babies these days.

Her husband is in the military so they have to live where he is told. It's almost never somewhere they would choose. We joked that the baby would be born with a southern accent, and look down on her parents for being liberal coastal elites. They chose green paint for the nursery, because girls don't always have to be swaddled in pink, and anyway what if it turned out to be a boy somehow - babies can surprise you.

Early in the third trimester my niece went into distress. Her husband reassured my mother-in-law on the phone, joking about the hospital's m.o. being "hurry up and wait and see," and she reassured him back that babies just like to scare you sometimes, it's usually fine. He called back a few hours later. We all bought plane tickets.

Home in LA she would have been fine. It would have been awful, but it would have been over. But in that Republican shithole she had to wait for her body to finish killing her baby. We had to sit with her and wait until she became mother to a corpse.

You two bullies, you vultures, you take your lies and your perverted morals that justify torture. You go live those twenty hours. You contemplate suicide. Listen to those righteous christian nurses calling you a murderer for wanting your suffering to end.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If it's tape of Trump pressuring a woman to have an abortion to "cull the white race" he'd drop to 0 votes but outside of that I can't fathom a tape that meaningfully hurts him at this point.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Unzip and Attack posted:

Anecdotal but it's hilarious to me that in the last few weeks, the few Trump supporters I know have abandoned all defenses of Trump and have fallen back to the abortion issue as their ultimate last stand. He's so indefensible that they all just say "well Trump will put people on the Court to outlaw abortion so I'm voting for him". It just shows how completely demoralized and broken they are.

This election has been hell but holy gently caress is it satisfying to see all these shitheels routed.

Personally, I like that the only person I know who both votes and is vigorous in their defense of Trump is a Russian who loves Putin and goes back to the mother country once or twice a year. Everyone else either doesn't vote or is really trying to talk themselves into not voting for Hillary.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Scent of Worf posted:

Looks like the zealots among the conservatives are trying to give Paul Ryan the boot

Thread:

https://twitter.com/juddlegum/status/789175578494513153

This is what you get, Paul Ryan. This is what you get when you do poo poo you know you shouldn't be doing but do it anyway but try to half-rear end it so maybe it won't hurt so badly. You get the establishment and nevertrumpers pissed at you and then the rabid psychos who know no shame nor reason leap on you anyway, because they were always going to go for you.

Somewhere, John Boehner's wine tastes sweeter still.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Gyges posted:

Personally, I like that the only person I know who both votes and is vigorous in their defense of Trump is a Russian who loves Putin and goes back to the mother country once or twice a year. Everyone else either doesn't vote or is really trying to talk themselves into not voting for Hillary.

You don't live in Duluth do you? I also know a Russian guy who is like this.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/LPDonovan/status/789179169900945410

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

I'll be honest, I don't know what oppobomb can be bigger than Trump refusing to accept the results of the election.

Like yeah you got him on tape saying something racist? That's probably less important in the long run and anyone at this point ticked off at Trump racism isn't voting Trump.
Anything that's happened so far has brought him back to his basest of bases. Now what do these people care about? Trump is probably right shooting a man on Central Square wouldn't scare most of them away. To scare them, he'd need to be caught on tape admitting to abortion, satanism, being a muslim, gay, or anti-gun.

E: him attacking democracy itself might scare of limp-wristed liberals like you and I, but not his authoritarian supporters. They'll actually cheer to that.

FlamingLiberal posted:

We had a lot of Iraq war protests
Yes, that's literally what I said.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Cingulate posted:

Plenty of leftists believe Bush has literally committed war crimes and is guilty of murdering hundreds of thousands, and they're not rioting. They're breaking into tears on podcasts and youtube videos, and protesting mostly peacefully, much like pro-life people.

A Brief History of Deadly Attacks on Abortion Providers

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Who are these, exactly?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

If that is for Trump, the irony is going to make me cry.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Follow the quote train up a few. You're making my point.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Does anyone other than Silver track overall Senate? Nate says Dems have a ~70% chance but his model tends to be "safer".

Other than PEC and RCP, these guys have been around for a while:

http://www.electoral-vote.com/
http://www.electionprojection.com

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Instant Sunrise posted:

serious question, but are pro-lifers cool with lowering the drinking age to 20 years and 3 months?

So I'm not anti-choice but, I don't understand the significance of the question. I feel like I'm being dumb here. :smith:

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

CommieGIR posted:

They are bitching about regulations in that press release so I'm guessing they are for him (or more likely against Hillary)

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

A tape showing Trump being an explicitly racist piece of poo poo, or something to do with Trump and abortion would definitely hurt. It would tamper down his base's enthusiasm. One more tape, and GOPe politicians would immediately start disowning him. One more tape and we get the RNC immediately imploding.

But we shouldn't hold our breath for it, either. Things are already working out pretty well.

Themagicalgoat
Oct 5, 2016

Night10194 posted:

This is what you get, Paul Ryan. This is what you get when you do poo poo you know you shouldn't be doing but do it anyway but try to half-rear end it so maybe it won't hurt so badly. You get the establishment and nevertrumpers pissed at you and then the rabid psychos who know no shame nor reason leap on you anyway, because they were always going to go for you.

Somewhere, John Boehner's wine tastes sweeter still.

See what happens Paul? You see what happens? This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCcKBcZzGdA

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

hahaha "please vote for the guy who got rich by not paying us"

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lightning Knight posted:

So I'm not anti-choice but, I don't understand the significance of the question. I feel like I'm being dumb here. :smith:

If life begins at conception everyone's nine months older than we think

But I didn't originally pop into this thread to read the opinions of the worst kind of assholes, I came here to post this:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
My issue with pro-lifers is that I firmly believe that any woman/girl who's made it to reproductive age inherently has more potential and rights than an unborn fetus does. Demanding she give up her life and alter her body to carry that fetus to term is punishment, straight up. "Adopt, not abort" still means she's basically held hostage for nine months.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I wasn't married yet so she wasn't quite my sister-in-law, but we were already family and she was expecting her first child. My first niece. I bought one of those little baby towels with the hood and little teddy-bear ears, and her name embroidered on it. You can get teddy bear ears on pretty much anything for babies these days.

Her husband is in the military so they have to live where he is told. It's almost never somewhere they would choose. We joked that the baby would be born with a southern accent, and look down on her parents for being liberal coastal elites. They chose green paint for the nursery, because girls don't always have to be swaddled in pink, and anyway what if it turned out to be a boy somehow - babies can surprise you.

Early in the third trimester my niece went into distress. Her husband reassured my mother-in-law on the phone, joking about the hospital's m.o. being "hurry up and wait and see," and she reassured him back that babies just like to scare you sometimes, it's usually fine. He called back a few hours later. We all bought plane tickets.

Home in LA she would have been fine. It would have been awful, but it would have been over. But in that Republican shithole she had to wait for her body to finish killing her baby. We had to sit with her and wait until she became mother to a corpse.

You two bullies, you vultures, you take your lies and your perverted morals that justify torture. You go live those twenty hours. You contemplate suicide. Listen to those righteous christian nurses calling you a murderer for wanting your suffering to end.

This is an excellent post, and I'm very sorry you and your family had to go through that.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

If life begins at conception everyone's nine months older than we think

But I didn't originally pop into this thread to read the opinions of the worst kind of assholes, I came here to post this:

Oh ok. I was overthinking it. Thanks.

Your story is heartbreaking. I'm sorry you and she had to experience that.

My opinion as a man is irrelevant. But for all the dudes out there who were raised on the idea that abortion is bad and wrong, like me, who don't understand what's wrong with being anti-choice, read these stories and understand that it could any woman, anyone you know, anyone you love.

You shouldn't need personal anecdote to empathize with women. I shouldn't have either. But it's what helped me understand. If you refuse to entertain the idea, then simply know that you are participating in a system meant to oppress women and understand why they have the right to resent you for it.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Lightning Knight posted:

If you add nine months to that you get 21 years, they are saying that if fetuses are people from conception why do we measure from birth?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

CommieGIR posted:

I think it's for (mostly Republican) senate and congressional candidates. ABC is a conservative group that hates business regulations and backed Romney in 2012, but I can't find any endorsement for a presidential candidate this year.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Lightning Knight posted:

If life starts at conception, then you would 21 at 20 + 3 months

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Trump mad

Lamb Chowder
Oct 5, 2016

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
Very upsetting image of rigging in motion

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

tumblr hype man posted:

If you add nine months to that you get 21 years, they are saying that if fetuses are people from conception why do we measure from birth?

Legally one of these is a lot more easy to establish as fact

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
We measure from birth because "happy conception day!" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:

Crowsbeak posted:

Sorry to change the subject, but remembering the news about Rand yesterday are there any other GOP Senators up for reelection who may lose outside of the ones in obvious blue states like NH, IL, and WI? Also is the WI Dem party rebuilding yet?

Rebuilding? Very slowly perhaps, if Feingold beats Johnson we'll have 2 very good senators at the federal level, but the assembly, state senate and of course the governor's office have a Republican stranglehold on WI. There are a lot of elections state side, many are uncontested (both R and D). But the Republicans have a huge advantage in the assembly and a decent one in the state senate.

How much will the downfall of Trump play into this? I have no idea. Wisconsin politics are... a bit odd, and while at the federal level WI usually favors democrats, at the state level it's different. Of the conservatives I've spoken to, nearly everyone is appalled by Trump and won't vote for him, but I imagine at the state level they will remain R. I really can't give an explanation as to why it's like that.

Regardless, I will happily vote against Paul Ryan in the hope that enough Trump supporters disavow him in large enough numbers to affect the vote. However I feel the chances of Ryan being unseated being somewhere around 10% or less, he's just got too solid a district.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Woof. That's awful. Crowsbeak won't read it though and will still call your sister-in-law a murderer for wanting to abort the baby.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Chomp8645 posted:

We measure from birth because "happy conception day!" just doesn't have the same ring to it.
Happy mom and dad did it day!

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

i'm so sorry your family had to go through that. :(

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Jesus gently caress.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

TONIGHT ON THE FIVE 'IS CAT COMMUNISM RUINING AMERICA TODAY?'

Then join us later for a Special Interview Report from Sean Hannity, Winkie the Dog.
"Cats are more lazy and promiscuous"
ONLY ON HANNITY

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

Woof. That's awful. Crowsbeak won't read it though and will still call your sister-in-law a murderer for wanting to abort the baby.

Well then I hope Crowsbeak dies alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

Actually I did, and it is giving me a place to think. > Note being poo poo heads to people doesn't actually convert them. Just thought you might want to know.

Well then I hope Crowsbeak dies alone.

Well i don't wish anything horrible to you. Maybe you should have less hate in your heart.

• Locked thread