Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
Not at the moment but I'm gonna try and follow instructions to generate one when I get home. Still fairly new to this so everything takes me a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

A Game of Chess posted:

Not at the moment but I'm gonna try and follow instructions to generate one when I get home. Still fairly new to this so everything takes me a while.
Skyrim doesn't have a crash log.
People often think the papyrus log is one. That however only logs data related to the scripts that are running. In the very unlikely event a script is the direct cause of a crash, the game will generally have already crashed long before any relevant data might have been logged. Unless you want to debug a script there's no real point to enabling the papyrus log. Having it enabled actually negatively impacts the scripting engine's performance.
Also don't mess with the papyrus .ini settings in general unless you really know what you're doing.

As for your problem. Here are some basic troubleshooting tips for one a single area crashes on you.
Do you have the memory tweak in SKSE enabled? If not, do that and go see if the area crashes.
If it still crashes, make a hard save far away from the crash-area and use the following console commands:
setgs iHoursToRespawnCell 1
setgs iHoursToRespawnCellCleared 1
Wait 2 hours. Then use the following commands:
setgs iHoursToRespawnCell 240
setgs iHoursToRespawnCellCleared 720

That should have reset the area. Go see if the area crashes.
If it still crashes then do you have any mods that affect that area? Or mods that add new spawns to the gameworld? Disable them. Load your save, do reset thing and go check if the crash has been resolved.
If there's still the crash problem, start disabling mods one a time or in small batches and again test things. Note that disabling mods willy nilly like that (in particular mods that use scripts) is a bad idea. It's okay for when you want to quickly test if a mod causes some sort of corruption though.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

A Game of Chess posted:

I had such great luck with my mod list and now my main save crashes every time I go in the vicinity of my character's home. :saddowns: on the whole though I guess I'm surprised it took this long.

Every time? Whenever I've run into a sudden crash deathzone like that, going off and doing something else like clearing a dungeon for an in-game day or two has helped several times. it's like there's something indescribable happening in one of the nearby cells that's making the engine turn itself inside out

of course, if the only place you can go is the "vicinity of your character's home" because you're leaving your house, it complicates things

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Kiggles posted:

Skyrim's shadow engine is strictly single threaded. You will hit instances where you drop frames (in some particular instances, down to the 20s) despite CPU usage being sub 50%, and often even lower GPU usage.

Fortunately, these instances are very few and far between. Additionally, they are typically only occur in instances where the frame drops don't really matter. For example, standing at the top of Dragon's Reach stairs and looking down over whiterun is usually a good way to hamstring framerate - but nothing ever happens right there, so the need to maintain framerate is irrelevant.

The only trouble spot I ever personally have is in Solitude with Legacy of the Dragonborn installed. That usually brings me down to the 20s, and the impact will be felt at the front door, so it actually becomes a problem when the drat suck heads show up.

Exteriors have very broadly been well optimized that you will rarely see drops below 60. I don't know what could be causing you trouble in Riverwood, but you're looking at a "town" in it's entirety. It's probably just one of those odd instances where some LOD and the shadowing engine gets hit. Make your way over to whiterun and see what you're looking at from Dragon's Reach. If you're still 30+ it's just something you'll have to deal with. If you're looking at sub 30, you might still be able to deal with it, but some mods may make some spots especially frustrating.

Thanks for pointing this out, since I'm running an ENB I was able to reduce my shadow resolution to the lowest settings. After doing that and reorganizing the order that my mods were installed in through Mod Organizer I now get 60 FPS looking at Riverwood with even more bells and whistles turned on.

Truly a good engine.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
So do I actually have to pay attention to any of that drama llama bullshit, or can I really just keep on using MO when I do my annual reinstall later this year? I'm old and cranky and have a system that works for me.

On an unrelated note, I have no idea why anyone would evangelize Wrye Bash these days, but I'll still suck Wrye's dick forever because Wrye Morph for Oblivion was the coolest and most underrated utility ever developed for an Elder Scrolls game.

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
Thank you guys! I was a little nervous about the Papyrus thing which is why I hadn't done it yet, haha. And I do have the memory tweak enabled. I basically followed the beginner's guide on the skyrimmods Reddit and have had a pretty stable experience so far. I recently upgraded my computer, though, and now that the video card and graphics can handle it, tried installing some HD textures like Noble Skyrim.

And yes, it is every time. It's a modded home--elisdriel. Every time I go in the vicinity it either immediately CTDs or else freezes and the screen starts vibrating weirdly. I've tried both fast traveling directly there and also walking into the cell from a distance and it happens both times. I don't think I added anything new that would be conflicting now, but I disabled the one new mod that might just in case (interesting NPCS) and still had issues. I'll give resetting the area a try tonight instead of messing around with the Papyrus settings and report back. It's not the end of the world if I lose this character but I would be disappointed!

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

turn off the TV posted:

Truly a good engine.

Yup. I'm pretty excited about the Special Edition mostly on the basis it will probably be a better looking, and potentially better performing Skyrim, where the poorly threaded nature of the vanilla Skyrim DX9 renderer often holds a lot of systems back.

Of course, it will be an adventure uncovering all of the NEW bullshit associated with the new renderer.

but I'm in the same boat as you right now. Drop shadow res to nothing. Turn up the shadow filtering until everyone has an obnoxious halo around the. Then load up one of the more intensive/bloomy ENBs out there and enjoy all the sick nasty graphics with more frames than Havok can handle.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Is cloaks of Skyrim still around? I loved finding hidden enchanted cloaks around the world plus it's winterland wear a cloak

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Trustworthy posted:

can I really just keep on using MO when I do my annual reinstall later this year?
Regular Skyrim: MO works fine, so keep using to your heart's content.
Skyrim Special Edition: Nope.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Raygereio posted:

Regular Skyrim: MO works fine, so keep using to your heart's content.
Skyrim Special Edition: Nope.

Well gently caress. :smith:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Unless someone not-Tannin steps up and finishes Mod Organizer 2, I have read you will be out of luck on SE.

personally I'm inclined to run SE fairly close to vanilla for a while - give the initial glut of badly ported Skyrim mods time to die down and, hopefully, the SKSE team will be able to do something, that kinda stuff.

It's why I'm also waiting for FO4 GOTY/Ultimate/Legendary/Wasteland edition or whatever. Really, the best way to go.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Well Trainwiz's mods will work, that was actually what I was worried about the most. It's gonna suck having to drop SPERG, but Vanilla Skyrim is still not terrible like say Vanilla Oblivion is. Ordinator looks like it doesn't need SKSE, do we know if that would be ready for SE?

Edit: Hah, in Trainwiz's own post on the subject he mentioned running Ordinator, so I guess I'm good to go!!

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 20, 2016

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Why are they making so many fundamental changes that gently caress with basic mod functionality, when like 99% of the Special Edition is just a visual overhaul? :(

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Trustworthy posted:

Why are they making so many fundamental changes that gently caress with basic mod functionality, when like 99% of the Special Edition is just a visual overhaul? :(

lol

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
That visual overhaul is refitting the game engine so it can work with DX11 so that it can actually utilize current hardware. SKSE is built around DX9 and 32 bit processing and is fundamentally incompatible with that change. There is nothing Bethesda could do to avoid that, so far as I can tell, except to simply not make Skyrim Special Edition.

Edit: here's the short of it, if this helps. Bethesda wants to release Skyrim on modern machines that utilize DX11, and SKSE is incompatible with DX11. There isn't anything Bethesda can do about that.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 20, 2016

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Here have some god-rays and optimization! *An entirely script-based, skill-centric, must-have thing like SPERG is rendered useless*

Obviously I'm missing something obvious and important about what the hell they've been tinkering around with under the hood.

edit:

i am tim! posted:

That visual overhaul is refitting the game engine so it can work with DX11 so that it can actually utilize current hardware. SKSE is built around DX9 and 32 bit processing and is fundamentally incompatible with that change. There is nothing Bethesda could do to avoid that, so far as I can tell, except to simply not make Skyrim Special Edition.

That helps, though. Thanks. :)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Yeah, the visual changes are probably a small percentage of the actual code change, as opposed to a lot of the big fundamentals being shifted behind the scenes. Don't mistake "most visible feature" for "biggest part of the code."

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Can't wait for SKSESE.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
I'm just glad that SSE is not an automatic download for us Steam users... as far as we know. :tinfoil:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

I'm just glad that SSE is not an automatic download for us Steam users... as far as we know. :tinfoil:

they've already confirmed its a separate steam entry

also this trustworthy guy really has no idea how computers work

I completely believe he's an old dude now

mbt fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 20, 2016

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Trustworthy posted:

Here have some god-rays and optimization! *An entirely script-based, skill-centric, must-have thing like SPERG is rendered useless*

Obviously I'm missing something obvious and important about what the hell they've been tinkering around with under the hood.

lol

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

:n'wah:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Trustworthy posted:

Probably the biggest problem for the SKSE update will be the move from 32-bit to 64-bit. Now, this is in essence a good thing as it allows the game to utilize more memory and can give a performance boost.
The problem is with how the script extender works. Basically as the OS takes the game's executable and loads it into its memory in order to run it, the script extender steps in and shoves its own pieces of code in there. In order for it to do, the script extender needs to know various addresses in the memory. The exact positions where the script extender's code has to be hooked in.
Whenever Bethesda made some changes to their codebase and recompiles the executable, lots of those addresses change. Fortunately a lot stuff will also stay the same. That's why the the script extender team has to release an update after each patch, but can do so fairly quickly as they have a basis to work from.
When you move your codebase from 32-bit to 64-bit however, all addresses change. Which means that the script extender team has no basis to work from and essentially has to redo almost 5 years of work from scratch.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 20, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Davoren posted:

Can't wait for SKSESE.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

GunnerJ posted:

The uncomfortable fact is that some of the most daring innovations in Skyrim modding as well as obscure and useful discoveries seem to be driven by the desire to turn it into a virtual sex playground for 'slab posters' perversions.

A while ago I thought it would be funny to load up a bunch of sex lab mods and possibly do some sort of LP, but I then started to the mod descriptions. I think putting a giant erect dick onto everything and getting raped by everything/everyone one a minute seemed like it would get old pretty quickly. Then they seemed overly obsessed with slavery and getting impregnated by anything that isn't human.

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev

Raygereio posted:

Skyrim doesn't have a crash log.
People often think the papyrus log is one. That however only logs data related to the scripts that are running. In the very unlikely event a script is the direct cause of a crash, the game will generally have already crashed long before any relevant data might have been logged. Unless you want to debug a script there's no real point to enabling the papyrus log. Having it enabled actually negatively impacts the scripting engine's performance.
Also don't mess with the papyrus .ini settings in general unless you really know what you're doing.

As for your problem. Here are some basic troubleshooting tips for one a single area crashes on you.
Do you have the memory tweak in SKSE enabled? If not, do that and go see if the area crashes.
If it still crashes, make a hard save far away from the crash-area and use the following console commands:
setgs iHoursToRespawnCell 1
setgs iHoursToRespawnCellCleared 1
Wait 2 hours. Then use the following commands:
setgs iHoursToRespawnCell 240
setgs iHoursToRespawnCellCleared 720

That should have reset the area. Go see if the area crashes.
If it still crashes then do you have any mods that affect that area? Or mods that add new spawns to the gameworld? Disable them. Load your save, do reset thing and go check if the crash has been resolved.
If there's still the crash problem, start disabling mods one a time or in small batches and again test things. Note that disabling mods willy nilly like that (in particular mods that use scripts) is a bad idea. It's okay for when you want to quickly test if a mod causes some sort of corruption though.

I just disabled everything I could think of that might be generating something new in the area (Interesting NPCs, and Random Encounters), entered all of those console commands, and I'm still getting those crashes. Once with the vibrating screen, once with an immediate CTD, and once where I got the weird vibrating screen but the music continued as if the game was working normally, even though the screen froze. I'm really at a loss to think of what else it could be, since the only thing I did add recently was textures.

I'm assuming that adventuring elsewhere for a day or two ingame probably accomplishes the same thing as resetting the area via console?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Raygereio posted:

Probably the biggest problem for the SKSE update will be the move from 32-bit to 64-bit. Now, this is in essence a good thing as it allows the game to utilize more memory and can give a performance boost.
The problem is with how the script extender works. Basically as the OS takes the game's executable and loads it into its memory in order to run it, the script extender steps in and shoves its own pieces of code in there. In order for it to do, the script extender needs to know various addresses in the memory. The exact positions where the script extender's code has to be hooked in.
Whenever Bethesda made some changes to their codebase and recompiles the executable, lots of those addresses change. Fortunately a lot stuff will also stay the same. That's why the the script extender team has to release an update after each patch, but can do so fairly quickly as they have a basis to work from.
When you move your codebase from 32-bit to 64-bit however, all addresses change. Which means that the script extender team has no basis to work from and essentially has to redo almost 5 years of work from scratch.

Is it really starting the whole thing from scratch, or just the address mapping? Or is the address mapping 90% of the work or something?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Ynglaur posted:

Is it really starting the whole thing from scratch, or just the address mapping? Or is the address mapping 90% of the work or something?

It's starting from scratch in that you cannot assume any of your prior choices are the same, so you have to identify all the mappings again, start from scratch and test all of the newly written code, and generally it's going to be more complicated to rebuild the same function, most likely. Look at the tough going the FO4SE team has as opposed to prior script extenders.

think of it as knowing what you want to do, knowing it's probably possible, but still having to start from zero.

and that's before you add in all the quirks that I'm sure Bethesda software is riddled with. It'll be faster than literally inventing a script extender, and I'm sure it'll happen, but it won't be "do a few hours of work and push the port SKSE button"

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 20, 2016

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

You shouldn't read into that it is going to take 5 years to get a script extender up to speed.

You should read that it is probably going to take sufficiently long that you should plan to look into non-SKSE mods as an excuse to bother with the Special Edition for an indeterminate amount of time.

I suggest considering

i am tim! posted:

Well Trainwiz's mods will work, that was actually what I was worried about the most. It's gonna suck having to drop SPERG, but Vanilla Skyrim is still not terrible like say Vanilla Oblivion is. Ordinator looks like it doesn't need SKSE, do we know if that would be ready for SE?

Edit: Hah, in Trainwiz's own post on the subject he mentioned running Ordinator, so I guess I'm good to go!!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I figure by the time I'm done modding up oldSkyrim on my new PC, newSkyrim mods will be ready. So I will get to play the real Skyrim game plenty and maybe also a bit of the Wander Around And Sword Dragons In The Face bonus game that comes with it.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I'm trying to level up some unused skills and have found out that Conjuration is stuck at 51. Can't train any higher, can't raise it through use either.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Have you tried the console?

incpcs conjuration

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

If my goal is set-and-forget "good enough" distance billboards, should I go after TES5LODGen or DynDOLOD? It looks like the first is pretty basic and the second builds on top of that like crazy, but does it do things worth the extra time and effort?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Psion posted:

If my goal is set-and-forget "good enough" distance billboards, should I go after TES5LODGen or DynDOLOD? It looks like the first is pretty basic and the second builds on top of that like crazy, but does it do things worth the extra time and effort?

I would personally say just do DynDOLOD. It's not lightweight, but if you basically have processor headroom to have it run in-game, the installation isn't really any more complicated. I DON'T have very much processor headroom, and it's been pretty good for me. Probably one of the better broad reaching visual improvements I've messed with.

Oh, and it's been set-and-forget. As long as you're not uninstalling mods all over the place, it should be fine. Installing things it doesn't really care about. At worst you get some sort of large prominent architecture that doesn't have LOD, in which case you can just run the tool again. Something seemingly more complicated than it is. Just check advanced, enable all the features, then go. I was concerned checking all of the things would be too much for my setup, but it hasn't been as big a hit as ENB, but technically that would be more of a GPU load, where DynDOLOD will generally be more CPU bound.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 23, 2016

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Suddenly Mod Organizer can't connect to Nexus. I verified I'm trying the same username/password that works on the web site. Only thing that's changed is I haven't used the machine much for a few months. MO says it's up to date. Ideas?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Gorgar posted:

Suddenly Mod Organizer can't connect to Nexus. I verified I'm trying the same username/password that works on the web site. Only thing that's changed is I haven't used the machine much for a few months. MO says it's up to date. Ideas?
Some of the nexus' servers seem to have had some issues. I've seen people claim they saw themselves logged in as someone else, which would indicate caching problems serverside.
I'd wait a couple of hours and then try again.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

It appears to be a server issue; I can't download certain files without getting directed to the Nexus homepage and looking like I'm logged in as someone else. I don't think you can do anything to that other person, but it's ... odd.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I don't know about anyone else, but I've basically decided to take a few-month vacation from Skyrim until the SE poo poo settles down just a tad, buuuuut... It might be worth pointing people to this article from EnaiSiaion, aka the other awesome Skyrim modder (besides TrainWiz.)

He's been working on removing the need for SKSE in his mods, and Ordinator is the next-best perk overhaul after SPERG. Skyrim SE + Ordinator + Apocalypse + Enai and TrainWiz's best mods sounds like a good time.

Also, OMG OMG TrainWiz-senpai looked at me!!!! OMG OMG and sent me a message saying he was going to incorporate my Fyr Manor Fixes into a newer version of Fyr Manor.

Edit: Anyhow, I'll still be monitoring this thread and I hope Antistar ports Clockwork to SE. As for now, I'm indulging some jRPG nostalgia and modding FF7.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
I'm probably going to ignore SE for a while, but thanks to that article I now know that EnaiSiaion is working on a new mod (Sacrosanct). Good times.

I always hated the location of Fyr Manor in Skyrim. I thought about merging it into Wheels of Lull and making the teleport ball the final reward for for completing that. Trainwiz incorporating your fixes makes that even easier, so I might take a shot at it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Will hardcore/survival mode mods be possible on PS4? That and being able to dress up my companions properly are the main things I wanted when I heard mods are coming to console.