Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Votes so far:

Faye: 9
Sidney: 5
Akatsuki: 5
Alice: 4
Cassandra: 4

Asteria: 3
Rose: 2
Fang: 1
MEGAQUEEN: 0
Charlotte: 0
Scott: 0

My Choice: 3

Well now, isn't this an interesting turn of events? The support for Alice is quite strong. I wonder which will win out in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

MEGAQUEEN, Charlotte, Scott. I don't care who's in the party but I'm sad for them because they have no votes.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

BlackPersona posted:

Faye, Sidney, and Asteria, for the whole "last story stratum, first party" thing that usually comes around for the Etrian Odyssey LPs.

Team Bookends Team sounds good to me!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Blaze Dragon posted:

MEGAQUEEN, Charlotte, Scott. I don't care who's in the party but I'm sad for them because they have no votes.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
Alice, Akatsuki, Charlotte.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

BlackPersona posted:

Faye, Sidney, and Asteria, for the whole "last story stratum, first party" thing that usually comes around for the Etrian Odyssey LPs.

Seconding this.

Grashbar
Aug 17, 2014
Faye, Cassandra, and Asteria

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Grashbar posted:

Faye, Cassandra, and Asteria

Wiffle
Jan 5, 2014
Alice, Faye, Sidney

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013
Alice, Faye, Sidney

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Well it looks like that everyone who wanted to vote has already done so. As such, VOTING IS CLOSED!

The final results:

Faye: 15
Sidney: 9
Asteria: 7
Alice: 7
Cassandra: 6
Akatsuki: 6

Charlotte: 3
Rose: 2
MEGAQUEEN: 2
Scott: 2
Fang: 1

My Choice: 3

Well look at that, a two way tie for 5th place. Since I really don't want to explore the place without Cassandra, I'll have to kick Akatsuki out of the lineup. As such, the final party is Alice, Sidney, Cassandra, Faye, and Asteria! There is an actual reason I opted for Alice instead of bookends, and I think the result may surprise you. If you've played through the game at least.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 24, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Oh and since we're at the end, here are some voting statistics!

Total number of votes accumulated:

quote:

Asteria: 195
Cassandra: 162
Faye: 153
Susan MEGAQUEEN: 140
Sidney: 131

Alice: 119
Akatsuki: 110
Rose: 110
Scott: 101
Fang: 98

Charlotte: 77

My Choice: 80

Total number of votes won:

quote:

Asteria: 21
Cassandra: 15
Faye: 15
Sidney: 11
MEGAQUEEN: 10

Rose: 9
Scott: 9
Fang: 8
Akatsuki: 7
Alice: 5

Charlotte: 4

Total number of times voted in for a boss fight (Includes both Sea Quests and Stratum bosses):

quote:

Asteria: 13
Faye: 12
Cassandra: 10
Sidney: 9
Rose: 7

MEGAQUEEN: 5
Scott: 5
Fang: 3
Akatsuki: 2
Alice: 0

Charlotte: 3

Charlotte was only created late in the LP, so her results are a bit skewed, and that's why she's separated from the rest of the characters. She still managed to close the gap fairly quickly between herself and Fang.

Despite Scott and Fang being the least popular in terms of voting count, they have actually made it into parties more than Alice, who placed in 6th in terms of overall voting count.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 24, 2016

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I forget, did Alice pick up Bunshin?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

AweStriker posted:

I forget, did Alice pick up Bunshin?

She used to have it, but I got rid of it. Mainly because in random encounters, it was far more efficient to fish for Kubukiri procs instead of wasting TP by using Bunshin, and in FOE fights, she can't do much anyway and is better suited to tossing out items.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I'm sorry, I was way too subtle about this nitpick that won't even make archives probably.

Dr. Fetus posted:

As such, the final party is Alice, Sidney, Cassandra, Alice, and Asteria!

Alice is in here twice.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Oh oops. Yeah, fixed.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, at least it's a teleporter maze that moves you in a straight line and not into mapless terrain.

...I just jinxed the hell out of everyone, didn't I?

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012
Thank you everyone for liking Asteria enough to have her win all the voting awards! :D

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Yeah, she really won over the cloud.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

nrook posted:

Yeah, she really won over the cloud.

:tizzy:

BOO! YOU STINK!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Class Showcase: Buccaneer

Buccaneers were known as Pirates in Japan, and they're kind of a unique class in Etrian Odyssey III. For one thing, they aren't exactly a class from the first two games under a different name. They pretty much operate differently than most other classes. Honestly, the closest analogue they have is a Chaser Landsknecht.

Their primary gimmick are their Chasers, which is a specific type of skill that has existed since the very first Etrian Odyssey game, and were exclusive to the Landsknecht class. How they work is that the Chaser waits for an attack to chase. The attack must be of a specific element, and when that attack connects with at least one enemy, the Chaser strikes the same enemy or enemies with their own attack. In the first game, they only activated once, and it was just kind of another way to get some extra elemental damage in, since the Chasers dealt elemental damage in the first two games. Outside of a few situations, Chasers paled in comparison with the Landsknecht's other skills. The 2nd game buffed them a bit by allowing Chasers to hit multiple times in one turn. Unfortunately, Landsknechts ended up getting nerfed to near uselessness in EO2, and elemental damage wasn't really all that great to have in that game, so Chasers ended up being useless in that game as well.

And then Chasers got a big overhaul in EO3. For one thing, they no longer deal elemental damage, all Chaser skills now deal Pierce damage. Not only that, there are now Chasers for physical damage types as well, where in the first two games they were limited to following elemental attacks. Did these changes make Chasers worth using? Unfortunately, no. The main reason Chasers skills never took off in the first two games, is that they forced you to build a party around the Chaser, and practically enforced making use of only one damage type. In the Etrian Odyssey series, you want to diversify your damage types so that you could handle any situation you come across. If you came across something that was resistant or immune to the damage type you built your Chaser party around, you were pretty much screwed. And sadly, those problems still exist in this game.

So what do Buccaneers have if their main gimmick doesn't work all that well? Unfortunately, not much. They only have one damage skill in their skillset that could be considered great, and it's only good once the late game comes around. As such, Buccaneers have the worst early and mid games out of all the classes, as they really can't do as much as some other physical attackers during those times. And to be honest, Buccaneers are one of the weakest physical attacking classes in the game. Not only do they lack damage options due to Chasers not being all that good, their class skill doesn't increase their damage output, while the Gladiator's and Arbalist's Class Skills do have such an effect. As insult to injury, their strength stat is far lower than the Gladiator's or Arbalist's.

However, it's not all bad. Buccaneers do take a while to get going, but they're perfectly usable in the early and mid games. This is because out of all the physical attackers in the game, Buccaneers have the biggest set of utility skills, so they can function as a semi-support. Which is something that is normally a bad idea when it comes to using the actual dedicated physical attackers, so that's one big advantage Buccaneers have over them. Even though the main gimmick of Buccaneers didn't work out in the end, they can still take on a distinct role in a party.

Equipment:
Weapons: Rapiers and Guns
Armor: Light Armor and Clothes.

Stats

Buccaneers have the 2nd highest AGI stat in the game (only falling behind the Ninja.) Their STR isn't on the same level as other physical attackers like Gladiators or Arbalists, but they are much faster than them, and have a decent enough TEC stat so that they don't really have any accuracy problems, which is a problem most other physical attackers do have. Buccaneers also have the largest TP pool out of all the physical attacking classes in the game, so they can last a lot longer than them in dungeon crawls. Unfortunately, their LUC isn't too great, so they're not the best at inflicting ailments.

Trickster
Skill Type: Class Skill
Maximum Level: 10
Stats Used: N/A
Prerequisites: N/A

This Class Skill passively recovers the Buccaneer's TP whenever they use an offensive skill.

Notes:
  • Does not work with skills that require setup, such as counters or Chasers.
  • Works with offensive Limit Skills.
  • Does not work with regular attacks or offensive items.
  • Stacks with other skills that restore TP.
It's not a stellar Class Skill, but it's a decent one. This skill helps the Buccaneers TP pool drain a lot slower, since offensive skills effectively have 10 less TP than normal. In fact, if their TP cost is low enough, the Buccaneer will gain TP instead. But the reason it's not that great of a class skill is because it doesn't increase the Buccaneer's damage directly. It does allow them to last a lot longer in fights and dungeon crawls because of the TP restoration, but the fact that Amritas are pretty easy to farm for kind of puts a damper on this Class Skill.

Rapier Mastery/Gun Mastery
Skill Type: Passive

This weapon mastery skill increases the damage output of regular attacks when using a Rapier/Gun. Higher levels increase the damage output.

If the user cannot equip Rapiers/Guns normally, this skill enables them to do so.

Notes:
  • Does not affect skills.
Like with all the other classes, only take as many points in these skills as you need. However, if you wish to make use of the Buccaneer's best damage skill, you'll have to max both of them out. As for which skill branch to invest in, people tend to prefer Rapiers due to the fact that skills in the Rapier skill branch tend to have a bit more utility than the ones in the Gun skill branch. Which can help alleviate their atrocious early and mid game power. Not only that, there's a Rapier known as the Jolly Roger that can be obtained from a mid-game Sea Quest boss with a bit of luck (Or by burning a Formaldehyde) that can really increase their offensive power tremendously.

Swashbuckling
Prerequisites: Rapier Mastery – Level 8, Gun Mastery – Level 8

This passive gives the Buccaneer a chance to attack multiple times when using a regular attack. Higher levels increases the activation rate and maximum number of attacks.

If the user knows Second Sword, the number of maximum hits doubles. The attack from Second Sword is then added onto this.

Notes:
  • Each Swashbuckling activation counts as a separate action.
  • Any passives that apply to regular attacks and forges will apply for each hit.
  • Charge and Etheric Charge will only apply to the first attack.
  • Turning on auto-battle can result in Swashbuckling activations to go after different targets instead of a single target.
  • If the user knows Second Sword, the number of attacks is not capped for each hand, meaning that it's possible to get up to 4/6/8 Swashbuckling activations for one hand.
  • The overall chances for getting a specific number of activations and the average amount of activations for Swashbuckling are as follows:
One Weapon:

Two Weapons:

This is a nice skill for a utility oriented Buccaneer to have, because it works pretty well with Limit Boost. For offensively oriented Buccaneers, this isn't that great of a skill, because there are far more reliable ways of dealing damage. Of course for a Shogun/Buccaneer, this skill is an absolute must have, since it helps get some Warrior Might activations, and they can fill up their Limit Gauge extremely fast with this skill.

Lady Luck
Stats Used: LUC

Increases the Buccaneer's critical hit rate.

Notes:
  • Stacks additively with Data Mining or Night Vision.
  • Without taking other critical hit rate skills into account or the user's LUC stat, this increases the average damage output with regular attacks by 2.5%/3%/3.5%/4%/5%/6%/7%/8%/9%/10%.
Well I guess if you're doing a Swashbuckling build, this could be worth it. Getting a bunch of crits on a lot of Swashbuckling procs could deal a lot of damage. Otherwise, skip it. Critical hits aren't too great by the fact that regular attacks aren't too great themselves. Besides, there are more reliable ways to deal damage.

Limit Boost
Maximum Level: 5
Prerequisites: Lady Luck – Level 3, Eagle Eye – Level 3

This skill passively increases the amount of Limit the Buccaneer can gain from performing an action.

Notes:
  • Does not increase the maximum amount of Limit gained, so you can never gain more than 15 Limit per action without wearing any equipment with Limit Forges.
  • Raises the minimum amount of Limit gained. Without wearing any equipment with Limit Forges, the Buccaneer can gain 7 to 15/9 to 15/11 to 15/13 to 15/15 Limit per action.
A very good passive, as it allows the Buccaneer to be one of the fastest Limit builders in the game. If you have the Swashbuckling passive maxed out, the Buccaneer could potentially make use of a Limit skill every other turn. Of course building up Limit that quickly, especially if you have a Shogun/Buccaneer handling that role, was found to be too powerful so it ended up getting nerfed in the next game.

Lights Out (Animation)
Skill Type: Active
Equipment Needed: Rapier
Body Part: Arm
Stats Used: STR, LUC, TEC
Target Type: Single
Action Speed: -6
Prerequisites: Rapier Mastery – Level 1

A single target Pierce attack that has a chance to inflict Blind. Higher levels increase the damage dealt, infliction rate, and accuracy.

It's a nice utility skill to have in the early-game, since Blind can help your party's survivability. Though if you're trying to use this skill to help deal with the Great Lynxes on the first floor, don't bother. They're really resistant to Blind. Past the early-game, it's not that great at dealing damage, and Blind isn't that great of a status effect to make use of in this game. However, it does have a bit of a use in that leaving this skill at level 1 and maxing out Trickster means that the Buccaneer gains 4 TP every time they use this skill. Not really efficient, but hey, that's a little trick you can do.

Chase Saber/Chase Blow/Chase Thrust
Body Part: Legs
Stats Used: STR
Target Type: Chaser
Action Speed: +60
Prerequisites: Rapier Mastery – Level 3

When activated, the Buccaneer prepares to perform an attack on any enemies hit with a Slash/Strike/Pierce attack. The chance of doing another follow up decreases with each chase. Increasing the skill level increases the damage output, accuracy, the likelihood that the Buccaneer will perform more chases, as well as the maximum number of chases allowed.

Notes:
  • Chases do not count as separate actions.
  • The maximum possible damage output is 300%/321%/342%/488%/520%/552%/730%/924%/1134%/1190%.
  • Charge and Etheric Charge only affect the initial setup, which deals no damage. This means that they have absolutely no effect on the damage output.
  • The properties of the weapon in the primary weapon slot, such as the weapon type in the case of Second Sword users, Elemental forges, and imbues are taken into account when using Chasers. As such, the damage type can change if this skill is used with a Shogun. Forges such as ailment forges and passives that only affect regular attacks do not affect Chasers.
  • Because the initial setup isn't considered a damage skill, these skills cannot activate Trickster.
  • Cannot chase other instances of Chasers.
Oh boy, the Chasers. These were supposed to be the main gimmick of the class, but they're just too underpowered. You're not gonna get up to 7 chases without very specific party setups. In fact, it's pretty impossible in most cases. I've talked about their main problems in the introduction for this class, and another big one is that if you do want to diversify your Chases, that's going to cost a lot of skill points. Not only that, Chasing is completely outclassed by Warrior Might, which is much easier to set up. If you really want to make use of the Buccaneer's chases, go with Chase Thrust. Pierce attacks are probably the easiest damage type to build a team around.

Hanging (Animation)
Stats Used: STR, LUC, TEC
Prerequisites: Rapier Mastery – Level 5

A single target Pierce attack that has a chance to inflict Head Bind. Higher levels increase the damage dealt, infliction rate, and accuracy.

It's the strongest damage skill in the Rapier skill tree, and it comes with a Head bind to boot. If you're going the Rapier route for your Buccaneer, you want this maxed out so they have something for the mid game. The Head bind adds a nice bit of utility since it will seal off an opponent's magical attacks in most cases, and end up halving their TEC stat so a Zodiac can deal additional damage to them. However, if you're on the Deep City route, you really want your Buccaneer to have a different damage skill (preferably Pincushion) by the time they get to the final boss, because head binding it will not lead to a good time. On the other hand, if you don't have a Wildling in the party, you'll need this skill for the post-game, as one boss fight there will be completely impossible to win otherwise.

Quick Draw (Animation)
Equipment Needed: Gun
Target Type: Random
Action Speed: Start of the turn, -3
Prerequisites: Gun Mastery – Level 1

A random target Pierce attack that hits enemies multiple times and goes at the start of the turn. Higher levels increase the damage dealt, and the number of hits.

Notes:
  • The total damage output at each level is 140%/142%/142%-213%/144%-216%/148%-222%/148%-296%/152%-304%/156%-312%/160%-320%/160%-400%.
  • The average damage output is 140%/142%/177.5%/180%/185%/222%/228%/234%/240%/280%
A fairly basic early game damage skill. Though it does have its uses what with being able to potentially target multiple enemies and having priority on top of that. Like with Lights Out, you can perform the same TP recovery trick here by maxing out Trickster and leaving this at level 1. And it actually restores more TP in this case since it only costs 4 TP.

Chase Flame/Chase Ice/Chase Volt
Body Part: Legs
Target Type: Chaser
Action Speed: +60
Prerequisites: Gun Mastery – Level 3

When activated, the Buccaneer prepares to perform an attack on any enemies hit with a Fire/Ice/Volt attack. The chance of doing another follow up decreases with each chase. Increasing the skill level increases the damage output, accuracy, the likelihood that the Buccaneer will perform more chases, as well as the maximum number of chases allowed.

Notes:
  • Chases do not count as separate actions.
  • The maximum possible damage output is 300%/321%/342%/488%/520%/690%/876%/1232%/1296%/1360%.
  • Charge and Etheric Charge only affect the initial setup, which deals no damage. This means that they have absolutely no effect on the damage output.
  • The properties of the weapon in the primary weapon slot, such as the weapon type in the case of Second Sword users, Elemental forges, and imbues are taken into account when using Chasers. As such, the damage type can change if this skill is used with a Shogun. Forges such as ailment forges and passives that only affect regular attacks do not affect Chasers.
  • Because the initial setup isn't considered a damage skill, these skills cannot activate Trickster.
  • Cannot chase other instances of Chasers.
And here are the elemental versions of the Chasers. They're more likely proc and you can get some more chases out of these version, but they still fall under the same problems that Chasers have. The other problem with the Chaser skills is that the physicals are limited to Rapiers, while the elemental versions are limited to Guns. Meaning that you can't mix and match physical and elemental Chasers, so that limits your options. Out of all the elemental Chasers, there's not really a best one to go with. But honestly, I would just ignore these skills. It's much harder to set up an elemental oriented Chaser party than it is to set up a physical oriented one.

Rapid Fire (Animation)
Action Speed: -3
Prerequisites: Gun Mastery – Level 5

A single target Pierce attack that has the Buccaneer fire at one enemy 3 times. Increasing the skill level increases the damage output and accuracy.

Notes:
  • The skill essentially deals the same amount of damage as one big attack that deals the same total damage output. However, there are a few differences to keep in mind:
    • Only the first hit can benefit from the damage bonus on sleeping enemies.
    • Each hit goes through an accuracy check, which can cause it to deal more or less damage than one big attack depending on the circumstances.
    • If the user is Cursed but manages to kill an enemy on the second or third hit, they will still take Curse damage from the first hit or first two hits.
    • If Double Action or Wide Effect activates, that will only cause extra hit to come out, not all 3 hits.
It's the best damage skill in the Gun skill branch, so if you're using a Gun Buccaneer, take this skill until you have enough skill points to max out Pincushion and make use of that instead.

Pincushion (Animation)
Equipment Needed: Rapier or Gun
Stats Used: STR, AGI
Target Type: Random
Action Speed: -3
Prerequisites: Rapier Mastery – Level 10, Gun Mastery – Level 10

The Buccaneer randomly strikes at all enemies, dealing Pierce damage. The damage output increases as the Buccaneer's AGI increases. The damage output for each hit is equal to Base Damage + (3 * AGI). Increasing the skill level increases the base damage, number of hits, and accuracy. However, the AGI multiplier is unaffected.

Notes:
  • STR is still used to determine the base damage. AGI simply increases the damage modifier.
  • To that effect, increasing AGI increases damage more than increasing STR in most cases, as increasing STR has diminishing returns.
  • Since AGI cannot go past 99, the maximum value that can be added onto the base damage value is 297%.
  • The total damage output at each level is 110% + (3 * AGI)-220% + (6 * AGI)/113% + (3 * AGI)-229% + (6 * AGI)/117% + (3 * AGI)-234% + (6 * AGI)/121% + (3 * AGI)-363% + (9 * AGI)/125% + (3 * AGI)-375% + (9 * AGI)/129% + (3 * AGI)-387% + (9 * AGI)/133% + (3 * AGI)-399% + (9 * AGI)/137% + (3 * AGI)-411% + (9 * AGI)/141% + (3 * AGI)-423% + (9 * AGI)/145% + (3 * AGI)-435% + (9 * AGI)
  • The average damage output is 165% + (4.5 * AGI)/169.5% + (4.5 * AGI)/175.5% + (4.5 * AGI)/242% + (6 * AGI)/250% + (6 * AGI)/258% + (6 * AGI)/266% + (6 * AGI)/274% + (6 * AGI)/282% + (6 * AGI)/290% + (6 * AGI)
The Buccaneer's best damage skill. Okay it deals less damage than the Chasers could, but those need a ton of setup and luck to even reach the max damage ouput. Pincushion doesn't, so it's pretty much the best damage skill Buccaneers have by default. Like the notes said, AGI has more of an effect on its damage output than STR, so increasing that stat is much more important. With that said, going for this skill as soon as possible is a bad idea. You would need 21 skill points just to get this skill, and 30 skill points to max it out, meaning that for 19 or 28 levels, your Buccaneer is completely useless. And since the damage modifier directly scales off of AGI, which is going to be really low at that point, it's gonna deal less damage than Hanging and Rapid Fire, both of which are much cheaper in terms of TP cost. Save it for the late game once you have the skill points for it, but this is not an early or mid game skill.

Eagle Eye (Animation)
Equipment Needed: N/A
Body Part: Head
Prerequisites: Limit Boost – Level 3

Lowers one enemy's physical defense for 4 turns. Higher levels increases the defense penalty.

Notes:
  • Only affects physical damage. Does not affect elemental or Almighty damage.
One of the few defensive debuffs in the game, and it's a very good support skill. It's essentially a damage amplifier that doesn't use up your party's buff slots. However unlike Primal Drums, it's only single target while being slightly stronger. So it's not quite as useful in random battles. Still, it's certainly a must have skill.

Trouble Maker
Skill Type: Active, Field Skill
Equipment Needed: N/A
Body Part: N/A
Target Type: N/A
Action Speed: N/A

This skill has the Buccaneer stir up trouble, which increases how often the party will get into encounters for a certain number of steps. Increasing the skill level increases the danger value multiplier, and the number of steps the skill lasts for.

Notes:
  • The numbers do not reflect the overall increase in encounter rate. They only apply to the danger values on the tiles.
I don't really think this is a good field skill. If you want to grind for item drops, I guess it's good. But grinding on random encounters for experience points is much less efficient than just killing FOEs or Sea Quest bosses.

Subclasses:

Prince/ss:

If you're really set on emphasizing the support aspect of a Buccaneer, you could make use of this class. Most of their skills are stat independent, so they work well with a Buccaneer. Just be aware of their TP usage. Buccaneers have the highest TP pool out of all the physical attackers, but when it comes to the actual support classes, Buccaneers have less than all of them, except for the Hoplite. So they can't really support for long. If your Buccaneer is focused on offense, there are better subclasses to take.

Gladiator:

Like this one. Buccaneers are physical attackers and Gladiators are the best subclass for physical attackers, so it all works out! Berserker's Vow is the best offensive buff in the game, and Charge is just a really efficient damage boost. Though the class and subclass combination would be much better the other way around, since Trickster is a mediocre Class Skill since all it does is restore TP, while Endless Battle actually deals damage, meaning that Gladiator/Buccaneer deals more damage than Buccaneer/Gladiator. Granted the Gladiator's low AGI doesn't make them an ideal candidate for a Pincushion user, but if you're willing to farm up AGI books for them, they can beat Buccaneers at their own game. Of course if you're not willing to grind up books, Buccaneer/Gladiator is perfectly fine, as Gladiator is pretty much the best subclass for them.

Hoplite:

While Buccaneers aren't really good at tanking, they can use the Hoplite's skills far more often thanks to Trickster potentially replenishing TP. And they do have a bigger TP pool to work with than the Hoplite. The Parry skills can provide some extra survivability for the Buccaneer, and most of the Hoplite's skills are stat independent.

Ninja:

Having a pirate ninja is certainly a viable party member to have. If the class combination was the other way around. Unfortunately Buccaneers make for terrible Ninjas due to their LUC and TEC stats being mediocre so they aren't good at inflicting ailments. Now Swashbuckling does work with Kubikiri, so you could potentially have them instantly kill every single enemy in a fight if you got really lucky. But again, that strategy would better if you were using a Ninja/Buccaneer instead.

Monk:

Buccaneers have a mediocre TEC stat, so they make for terrible healers. They're faster than Monks sure, but they're only half as effective in healing capabilities. Not to mention that Monks have Form Qi and Buccaneers don't. You would honestly be better off having your Buccaneer use healing items if you want to put them on healing duty, since their AGI is high enough to ensure they at least use those in time. Ascetic Deeds is a nice passive for them to have though, since with both it and Trickster, the Buccaneer becomes a self sustaining class every time they use an offensive skill.

Zodiac:

You could have your Buccaneer subclass Zodiac for Dark Ether support. Etheric Return could be nice to have since it does stack with Trickster. Singularity can be a good passive to have if you're making use of Chasers, as those do take elemental forges into account. But their mediocre TEC stat does not make them an ideal wizard.

Wildling:

Primal Drums is all this class has to offer a Buccaneer. It's a great skill, and it stacks with Eagle Eye. But Buccaneers can't really make use of animals all that well, as they are terrible at inflicting ailments due to their low LUC and TEC stats, and animals cost way too much TP for them. The only thing Buccaneer animals have over Wildling animals is that they're faster. Which is barely a benefit when they are terrible at inflicting ailments.

Arbalist:

You would have a faster and more accurate Arbalist at the cost of having much less power. Proper Form is kind of pointless since Buccaneers don't really have accuracy problems.

Farmer:

Trickster stacks with Braveheart, so this can make your Buccaneer much less TP starved. Rotten Egg could be an okay support skill to make use of, but you'll need someone else in the party who can make use of ailments to capitalize on it, as Buccaneers aren't great at inflicting ailments. If you really want a field support, you could have your Buccaneer subclass Farmer for that purpose as well, though it's not the best use of Buccaneers.

Shogun:

Once again, a class and subclass combination that would be much better if it was the other way around. Unless you completely intend on making a Buccaneer a support, they have very little to offer them.

Buccaneers are a bit of an unusual class, and their main gimmick doesn't really work that well in practice, which leaves their early and mid game severely lacking. And on top of that, they're one of the weakest physical attacking classes in the game. However, they're strong physical attackers late game, and are decent semi-supports throughout the whole game. So they can be worth putting in your party. Just be warned that you'll really have to work around their weaknesses to make them worthwhile.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Dec 28, 2016

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Have the Chasers been improved at all since EO3? I love the idea of them, but they always seem to need so many skill point investments that they just don't seem worth it.

a busted-up mailbox
Dec 14, 2012

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Have the Chasers been improved at all since EO3? I love the idea of them, but they always seem to need so many skill point investments that they just don't seem worth it.

The Landsknecht's Link skills in EO4 are basically Warrior's Might but with elemental types, meaning you can abuse weaknesses to get in even more damage. There's a chase limit, but it resets after each teammate's attack, so you can get easily get 15+ hits in. You don't even have to use normal attacks to have multiple chases trigger, so you can go all out with your other attackers' skills. It effectively breaks the game, really.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

Arcade Rabbit posted:

They seem solid in EOU because pretty much every boss seems to have an elemental weakness, and even if they don't the chases still are a solid few extra hits to make up for that if you build a party around it. I recently ran through story mode in that game and changed the Highlander to a Landsknect, built Frederica around elemental shots and gave Simon basic elemental spells through the grimoire stones and generally was able to output too much damage thanks to how hard each chase was hitting for.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Arcade Rabbit posted:

They're actually pretty decent in the 3DS games. It's easier to set up a party around them in the Untolds, and they deal a decent amount of damage. In EO2U, they're flat out the Landsknecht's best damage option, and don't need nearly as much setup as some of their other skills.

Oh, and Charge skills do work with Chasers in those games. Although I think in EO3, that not being the case was simply because of engine limitations instead of an intentional design decision from what I've seen of the code.

On a side note, I've finally managed to take a look into EO2's code and uh, holy crap it's a mess. No wonder there is so little documentation on that game. Most of the data is not stored in a sane manner. Frankly I'm surprised the original Japanese release didn't come with even more bugs. Even EO1 was more well put together than that game.

Also fun fact, Ur-Child is considered by the devs to be the 2nd strongest monster in that game, at level 80. The strongest monster? The Muckdile, at level 99.

Mick Swagger posted:

The Landsknecht's Link skills in EO4 are basically Warrior's Might but with elemental types, meaning you can abuse weaknesses to get in even more damage. There's a chase limit, but it resets after each teammate's attack, so you can get easily get 15+ hits in. You don't even have to use normal attacks to have multiple chases trigger, so you can go all out with your other attackers' skills. It effectively breaks the game, really.

Links are strong, but not that strong. You're limited to 8 follow up hits per turn, and one party member can only get 4 follow ups at most.

Unfortunately, links were only exclusive to EO4 and Persona Q. I dunno if that's because the devs thought they were overpowered, or because a different person directed EO4 and PQ. Komori went back to directing the EO games since EOU.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

This is a reminder to max out Proper Form on your Arbalist. Missing Charged Front Mortars always stings. Especially if you get a Double Action proc and both of them miss. :smith:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I think you're officially beyond me, because I don't even remember those enemies.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
That is RNG the FOE. Don't mess with those guys unless you're properly prepared for them. They'll mess you up in a round if they feel like it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Update 70: Foxy Roadblocks

If I see Sidney missing a shot AGAIN in my life, it'll be too soon!

Um, Faye? I though Akatsuki was supposed to be coming with us today.

He was, but uh, when I went to go get him he was too busy rambling about how the Ninja arts were useless or something like that. I think he was having an identity crisis or something. So I brought the next best person for the job!

...Who happened to be our Farmer.

Correction, our Ninja Farmer!

Whatever, let's just go.

I-I'm sorry. I'll try not to hold any of you back.

Ah, don't worry about her, Alice. She's just a big stick in the mud.

This is the party that was voted in to deal with the rest of the 5th Stratum.

DS Version

So these are the gates you told us about, huh?

So how do they work again? You just waltz through the front and-AGH!

Whoahoho, cool!

Oyyy,.. I-I wasn't expecting that.

Hey, look over there! There's another gate!

I wonder where this one leads.

Back to where we started, I guess.

So if we go back through this gate again, and then back through that other gate we went through, and then back again-

Stop. We are not going to waste time going back and forth through these gates all day.

We do have a mission to complete after all. A very important one.

Once more with feeling!

How many more times are we gonna be doing this?

Probably too many.

That gate just sends you back to where we were before.

Mmm, which way should we go?

How about south first? Still getting used to those gates.

DS Version

Sickwood
Level: 51
HP: 685
STR: 48
VIT: 47
AGI: 38
LUC: 44
TEC: 47
Attack Type: Strike
Exp: 3350
Item Drops:
-Drop 1: Writhing Wood - 30% Drop Rate. 3 needed for Linen Curiass (Clothes.) 7 needed for Medica III (Item.)
--Undulates like a tentacle even after being cut.
-Drop 2: Poison Branch - 10% Drop Rate. 1 needed for Serpentine (Crossbow), and Sabaton (Boots.) 4 needed for Balisong (Knife.) 5 needed for Fluted Armor (Light Armor.)
--Its purple coloring comes from its lethal, toxic sap.
-Gold: N/A
Description: A portion of the forest that came to life over many years. It detests humans and their ways.
Damage Resistances: Slash: 100% Strike: 100% Pierce: 100% Fire: 150% Ice: 100% Volt: 100%
Ailment Resistances: Sleep: 100% Confusion: 100% Plague: 50% Poison: 50% Blind: 100% Curse: 100% Paralysis: 100%
Bind Resistances: Head: 100% Arm: 100% Leg: 100%
Other Resistances: Death: 100% Petrification: 100% Stun: 100%

Skills:

Venom: Uses the Head. Attempts to Poison the party. Has a 40% success rate. Deals 80 Poison damage. Has an action speed of -5.
Branch: Uses the Arms. Attempts to bind the Head, Arms, and Legs of a single target with an 80% success rate. Has an action speed of -5.

Sickwoods can be really annoying enemies, as they can completely lock down a party member, or poison everyone. These enemies should probably be the first ones to be taken out in a fight.

No, I don't feel like preventing forest fires.

G-get off of me!

Holy moly, that stinks!

:barf::gibs:

Cyanide-a everyone...

80 Poison damage isn't that much on its own, but it can add up considering the damage your party will take from the other enemies in the battle.

Generally you want to end battles with them quickly, as things can turn hairy if they don't.

DS Version

E5 Chop Point:
Mahogany: 50% Gather Rate. 1 needed for Kanasaibou (Club.)
-Superb timber which dries quickly and is easily refined.
Aesculus Wood: 50% Gather Rate. 1 needed for Drakeback Spear (Spear.)
-Soft timber with a uniquely beautiful grain.
Paulownia Bark: Rare. 1 needed for Disease Mantle (Accessory.) 2 needed for Tonbokiri (Spear.) 3 needed for Dreadnought (Crossbow.)
-Its uniquely light weight makes it very useful.
Common Gather Periods: 1 to 14.
Rare Gather Periods: 0 to 4.

The south path just leads to the first Chop point on this floor.

I'll just cut off this bud here...

On the way back, I had Alice snag me the Petaloid's conditional drop.

Alright, let's try this one first!

The gates at the beginning of this floor aren't one way trips. There's usually another one right behind your teleportation destination that can take you back.

Sidney got a level up from another battle.

Double Action now has a 20% chance to proc, though I actually regretted leveling this up instead of Proper Form. You'll see what I mean by that very shortly.

That's a big fox.

If it's like the smaller ones we've encountered, I'll have to put in a lot of work for this one.

So uh, we taking it out or what? I've got a trigger finger that needs exercising!

The red FOE you see here actually has two different patrol patterns depending on the time of day.

If it is the morning or the afternoon, they will patrol a horizontal hallway.

If it is night or the early morning, they will patrol a vertical hallway. If the time of day happens to change from one to the other while you're in the Labyrinth, they'll just head on over to the hallway they're supposed to be patrolling, and resuming walking back and forth there.

Now this does block off a few paths at certain times of day, but all it does is force you to take an alternate route to get past them. It's not like in EO2 where an FOE would flat out not move out of the way unless it was night. Anyways, let's take on this FOE.

DS Version

Divine Judge
Behavior: Patrols horizontal hallways during the day, and vertical hallways during the night.
Aggressive: No
Level: 60
HP: 6890
STR: 60
VIT: 55
AGI: 50
LUC: 42
TEC: 61
Attack Type: Pierce
Exp: 22560
Item Drops:
-Drop 1: Ghostly Fur - 65% Drop Rate. 1 needed for Element Cloak (Clothes. Must be restocked.)
--Body hair imbued with strong, ghostly power over the eons.
-Book: Intelligence Book - 1% Drop Rate.
-Gold: Deathly Stone - Kill while fully bound. 100% Drop Rate. 1 needed for Fear Helm (Helm. Must be restocked.)
--Transformed Divine Punisher stone that emits a miasma.
Description: A beast worshipped as the messenger of gods in eastern countries. It is now able to use spells.
Damage Resistances: Slash: 100% Strike: 100% Pierce: 100% Fire: 50% Ice: 50% Volt: 50%
Ailment Resistances: Sleep: 10% Confusion: 10% Plague: 10% Poison: 10% Blind: 10% Curse: 10% Paralysis: 10%
Bind Resistances: Head: 25% Arm: 25% Leg: 25%
Other Resistances: Death: IMMUNE Petrification: IMMUNE Stun: 50%

Skills:

Divine Storm: Uses the Head. A Volt attack that deals 100% Volt damage to 4 to 5 people. Has an accuracy of 99. Has an action speed of -5.
Exhaust Field Uses the Head. Doubles the TP cost of any skills the party uses on their next action. Has an action speed of +50.
Phosphorescence: Uses the Head. Places a buff on the Divine Judge that regenerates 915 to 920 per turn for 5 turns. Has an action speed of +0.

Before you take on a Divine Judge, ask yourself these questions first.

Do I have Antivolt at level 10?
Do I have someone who can use Dark Ether? (Preferably a Ninja/Zodiac.)

If you've answered yes to both, congratulations. The Divine Judge is a sitting duck and can't do a thing to you.

If you've answered no to the first one, well I wouldn't try taking it on until much later. Things will get ugly, especially since RNG can determine just how much Divine Storm can hurt your party. Dark Ether isn't as vital, but it can negate the effects of Exhaust Field, which can be annoying to deal with, or places a really strict time limit on the battle depending on how much TP your party has left.

It's conditional drop can also be pretty annoying to go for, since you'll either need a Wildling for it, or you'll need a Buccaneer, Gladiator, and a Ninja in the party to fully hogtie it. And the first two classes aren't particularly good at that job. And Wildlings have the problem of needing 3 turns to set that all up, so you'll have to hope that the binds stay on for at least that long.

Gonna have Faye empower Sidney. Her usefulness is gonna skyrocket now that she's no longer limited to just healing people.

I'm taking a gamble and hoping that the Divine Judge doesn't use Divine Storm. Though to be honest, this was completely unnecessary.

Sidney will also buff himself.

At the time, I didn't realized that the Divine Judges were immune to Petrification, so Alice spent this whole fight wasting her time trying to Izuna them.

Asteria's elementals aren't too effective in this fight since the FOE is pretty resistant to them. So she's spamming Dark Ether to ensure that our party can outlast them.

I feel kind of tired all of a sudden...

Note that Exhaust field affects everyone's next action, so you can't use something like Knighthood to go before it and avoid the extra TP cost entirely.

Abupbupbup! We're not having that!

Though Dark Ether can completely nullify its effects, ensuring that we can outlast it.

GO GO GO, CHAAAARGE!

Oh good gravy.

Eh-heh, I-I'll do better next time.

If you want something done right, do it yourself.

Agreed. Let's get some actual work done around here.

OWOWOWOW! Can't believe I have go through all this pain just to shoot something harder!

Setting up our defenses. Cassandra will be casting Antivolt throughout the entire fight while Asteria enables her to do so for a long time.

Not on my watch!

I'll watch over you.

Gonna have Sidney charge up for Front Mortar.

With effectively infinite Antivolts at our disposal, the only way it can damage us is if it uses a regular attack.

Which it doesn't use that often, and even if it does, Faye can heal it up easily.

I'm sure you can see why the Elemental Walls got temporarily kicked out in the next game, and got nerfed in the Untolds.

Hee hee, get ready to look at it...

...go?

“Exercising your trigger finger.” Uh huh. Something tells me you need to be exercising something else instead.

And this is why I regret not maxing out Proper Form earlier. Without that passive, Arbalists have the worst aim in the game out of all the classes.

Anyways, a few turns later.

See? That was just a fluke.

2 more charged Front Mortars should finish it.

Unless it casts Phosphorescence. Which regenerates a ton of HP for the Divine Judge. Having a way to dispel that buff will make the fight much easier. If you don't, the fight is going to take much longer. As a saving grace, it is only used once in the entire battle, and that's when the Divine Judge's HP drops below 51%. It will never cast the skill again after that.

I tried to cut down on the amount of HP it would restore by just spamming Front Mortar straight up. Except...

OH COME ON!

This is probably gonna take a while...

Several turns later...

SIDNEY, CAN YOU JUST HIT THE FREAKING FOX ALREADY!?

Hey, I'm trying my best here. It's just moving around too-

TRY HARDER!

Ha ha! GOTCHA!

Oh goodness, finally.

I don't really suggest fighting Divine Judges without Antivolt at a high level. If you do have it maxed out, they're complete jokes. Despite the fight taking 21 turns to complete, my party was in absolutely no danger at any point thanks to Cassandra.

Though let this be a lesson for you. If you have an Arbalist, max out Proper Form after they've gotten their other vital skills. It will save you a lot of frustration that way.

DS Version

Alice got a level up from that fight, so I spend a skill point trying to increase her instant death abilities.

The Stone Songs give the wielder a 14% chance to Petrify an enemy with their regular attacks. You'd think this would be a fantastic weapon for Alice given that this would stack with Kubikiri (Though it would lock her out of Izuna.)

Yeah here's the problem, its base accuracy is only 50 compared to most weapons having a base accuracy of 98. Alice would be missing a lot more, and this book would just make her assassination capabilities much worse.

Cassandra got another level up as we were moving along.

Magic yourself out of this!

I had her take Magic Parry, so she now has a 4% chance to block elemental attacks entirely.

Up ahead is another gate, but I'm not going through this one yet, because it's actually a one-way trip. Instead, I'm heading north.

Doing so nets us a Formaldehyde.

Now, back to this gate...

Sends us to a campsite.

I take a moment to rest up a bit here.

...Senator Flowdia and the Harbormaster really made that offer?

Yes. Since I'm a part of your guild, they offered to send me back home anytime I want to. They said it was the least they could do for all that we've done for them.

Oh. So uh, are you planning on leaving anytime soon?

Mmm... Not yet. I think I'll see this through to the very end first. It's the least I could do since you all took care of me and helped me out so much.

Hee hee, good! I think Akatsuki would get all sad if you left too soon!

O-oh, u-um, yes. T-that would be bad.

Resting at this campsite caused it to turn nighttime.

Which means that the Divine Judges now have different patrol paths.

This is their patrol pattern during the day. It's impossible to get past it during this time, though at least you can go for the treasure chest.

And their patrol path at night.

Not a bad find.

DS Version

Silver Fox
Level: 52
HP: 735
STR: 46
VIT: 49
AGI: 42
LUC:36
TEC: 56
Exp: 3651
Item Drops:
-Drop 1: Violet Tail - 35% Drop Rate. 1 needed for Armet (Helm.) 2 needed for Albion Sword (Sword.) 3 needed for Ancient Tablet (Book.) 5 needed for Flamberge (Rapier.) 7 needed for Godly Belt (Accessory.) 1 needed for the quest Sisters.
--Fox’s tail that seems to be weightless when held.
-Drop 2: N/A
Description: A beautiful fox with a sleek body. Research has shown it to be unrelated to the White Fox.
Damage Resistances: Slash: 100% Strike: 100% Pierce: 100% Fire: 75% Ice: 75% Volt: 50%
Ailment Resistances: Sleep: 50% Confusion: 100% Plague: 100% Poison: 100% Blind: 100% Curse: 75% Paralysis: 100%
Other Resistances: Death: 50% Petrification: 100% Stun: 50%

Skills:

Bolt Spread: Uses the Head. Deals 70% Volt damage to one row. Has an accuracy of 99. Has an action speed of +0.
Heavenly Bolt: ???

Silver Foxes are more deadly versions of White Foxes, being able to zap a row instead of one person. There's one more thing about them, but we'll see that eventually.

Ow. What were ya slacking off there for Cassie? Oyyy...

Whoops. Sorry about that, Sid.

This is also a pretty deadly encounter formation, as the Rotten Fruit's Gel Electrolyte will increase the damage of the Silver Fox's attacks.

At least Faye got a level up out of that battle. Unfortunately, I completely forgot to spend the skill point she earned. Again.

As for this gate...

Huh, this looks familiar...

I believe we just went around in a big circle.

Oh. Uhh, now what?

There was a path we didn't take earlier. Maybe we should go back there.

Both of the gates near the start of the floor ultimately lead to the same place, but if you can't take down the Divine Judge, you'll have to take the western gate during the night, and the eastern gate during the day to get past them. Anyways, on the way back to that pathway we passed up earlier...

Death Scorpion
Level: 50
HP: 712
STR: 47
VIT: 50
AGI: 34
LUC: 35
TEC: 42
Exp: 2974
Item Drops:
-Drop 1: Needle Tail - 35% Drop Rate. 1 needed for Bracers (Gloves.) 2 needed for Thunder Cannon (Gun.) 3 needed for Freiturnier (Heavy Armor) and Kurourushi Oodachi (Katana.) 10 needed for Pierce Amulet (Accessory.)
--The petrifying poison in its glands has discolored it.
-Drop 2: Steel Needle - 10% Drop Rate. 1 needed for Musketeer (Rapier.) 2 needed for Ancient Tablet (Book.)
--Scorpion’s stinger that has been rendered safe to touch.
-Drop 3: Red Jasper - 20% Drop Rate. See 4th Stratum Mine Point info for more details.
Description: A scorpion monster with gigantic pincers, though the true threat is being stoned by its needle.
Damage Resistances: Slash: 50% Strike: 100% Pierce: 50% Fire: 100% Ice: 150% Volt: 100%
Ailment Resistances: Sleep: 100% Confusion: 100% Plague: 50% Poison: 50% Blind: 100% Curse: 100% Paralysis: 100%
Other Resistances: Death: 100% Petrification: 10% Stun: 100%

Skills:

Stone Needle: Uses the Legs. Deals 100% Pierce damage to a single target, and has a 99% chance to inflict Petrification. Has an accuracy of 10. Has an action speed of -5.

I hate these enemies so much. They don't hit that hard, but Stone Needle is a massive pain in the butt if it connects, as it's very likely to Petrify whoever gets hit. It's very inaccurate, however enemies like the Rotten Fruit or Sickwood are capable of disabling your party's evasion with Leg Binds, and their AI prioritizes hitting party members who have their evasion disabled. If you get into one of those fights, either eliminate the Death Scorpion first, or get rid of the Leg Bind.

Once more for good measure!

That was Sidney's Front Mortar proccing Double Action right there. Normally that would be a huge amount of damage, but the Death Scorpion's 50% Pierce resistance puts a dampen on that.

If your party lacks elemental attacks, they're gonna be a massive pain to take down. And the game LOVES pairing them with Sickwoods.

Yet another gate down here.

Though unlike the last one we went through, that wasn't a one way trip.

North or east?

Mmm, east! I've got a good feeling about that one!

Uhhh, at least we can get back there easily?

Not a big trip, but it's worth going through this gate first, as the other one sends you further into the Labyrinth.

As there is a big chunk of the southern floor it lets you explore, and leads you to this treasure. Not a great treasure, mind you.

Okay, let's try that again.

This gate is the way forward.

Though if you wish to go back, just walk backwards through this gate I'm showing you.

At least we won't have to deal with those gates again.

Oh nice! Good thing we found this, the pack's starting to get full again. Let's take a little break back in town first. Alice?

Of course! Back we go!

I take the opportunity to rest up and sell off my materials to Edie.

DS Version

The Divine Judge's regular drop unlocks this piece of clothing, which provides a 10% resistance to elemental attacks. If you're already making use of the Bikini Armor, I don't suggest “upgrading” to this.

Provides a 10% boost to max HP. Meh, the Front Cruisse comes with a 15% max HP boost, at only 5 less defense.

Hmm. Maybe these'll help with your aiming problems, Sid.

I don't have an aiming problem!

The Target Goggles increase the user's accuracy by 15. Could be handy for Gladiators, though an Arbalist with Proper Form maxed out will have no use for these. Anyways, I head back into the Labyrinth.

DS Version

And get a level up for Asteria on the way back to where we were before.

I finally remembered to spend Faye's skill point, and have her help enable the party's murder capabilities.

Meteor now deals 44% damage per hit.

Sorry everyone... I let you down...

Get these feathers outta my mouth...

Okay, things are looking bad here.

Time to go with the nuclear option.

Faye, I swear you're going to get yourself killed if you keep staying on the front lines.

Sh-shut up, Cassie...

Here we...

...go? Oh dear, I hope nobody saw that.

Never mind. I got a little too careless in this fight, but I did make it through.

Another Divine Judge patrols this area.

The daytime patrol path.

And the nighttime patrol path. The routes they patrol are essentially blocked off unless you can kill them. Since I don't feel like having a repeat of the last Divine Judge battle, I just opt to take the route that isn't blocked for me.

The way back if you need to take it.

This is the final Divine Judge on this floor.

Its daytime patrol pattern blocks off a chest.

Though its nighttime patrol path doesn't really block that much.

Not again...

Faye, you really shouldn't be up here.

:gibs:

:ughh: As capable as we are, moments like these make me question how we got this far in the first place.

I did manage to get through that battle just fine, but now I'm kind of wondering how I even got through the game with my original party (Replace the Farmer with a Ninja) in the first place.

Faye, maybe you should let me be up there. You are the only one who can tend to our wounds after all.

I guess you have a point there, but... what about you?

I-I'm not as useful as you-

Nonsense, you're plenty useful!

Tch.

But if something does happen to me, you can patch me up, right?

Uhhh, I guess so...

At this point, I got really fed up with my healer dying, so I have Faye and Alice switch places.

Here's another shortcut.

Think this is the rock that guy wanted?

I believe so. Look.

Other, healthier monsters are watching over them protectively, but they don’t seem hostile. Do you remember the rumor you heard at the bar about a boulder with healing powers? If this is that boulder, it would make sense for wounded monsters to gather near it. However, if you crack the boulder in order to bring it back, that power may be lost. If you think the risk is worth it, you can crack the boulder, but you may be attacked.

If you say no:

I don't think it's right to do this. I mean those monsters look so helpless. Are we really gonna do this to them?

Mmm... I guess you got a point, but what are we gonna do about that request?

Hmm... Our client isn't even interested in the healing powers so... aha!

Is it worth destroying this healing stone that saves lives just for your own ends? You decide to leave the mysterious boulder as it is and leave the area. ...If the client doesn’t care about its healing powers, then he’s only interested in a rock. With that in mind, you pick up a random stone from the ground instead.

You get the Labyrinth Stone key item here, which comes with this description:

quote:

Ordinary stone picked up in order to protect the monsters’ rock.

He doesn't even know what the boulder looks like. We should be able to fool him with this.

Ohoho, talk about devious!

But you don't get the full reward if you do this, so I'm gonna crack the boulder:

Ah, screw them! They're monsters! They might look helpless now, but they're nothing but a bunch of vicious animals in the end!

Agreed. The less of them we have to deal with, the better.

Alright then, cover me!

You approach the boulder, drawing your weapons in case the monsters attack you. The beasts watching over their wounded companions sense the danger and attack you!

DS Version

Oh dear. If you do not have Antivolt at level 10, you might not want to go crack the boulder. This encounter is a very ugly one.

Um, what are they doing?

Oh no. Behind me, now!

Mainly because of this skill:

Heavenly Bolt: Limit Skill. Requires a Silver Fox and a White Fox. Uses the Head. A Volt attack that deals 100% Volt damage to 3 to 5 people. Has an accuracy of 80. Has an action speed of -5.

As long as both a Silver and a White Fox remain in the battle, they will spam this relentlessly. Take them out fast or spam Antivolt.

Though since I had Antivolt, they were complete jokes.

DS Version

...Only the wounded monsters resting near the boulder remain.

Now for the rest of em!

Remove the last things that stand between you and the boulder and finish the job!

DS Version

Despite the game saying the monsters were wounded, they're both at full health and don't act any differently. Though this battle is much easier to deal with than the last one.

I make short work of them.

DS Version

Sensing no other monsters nearby, you begin cracking the boulder into a manageable size. After smashing it with a mining hammer, you succeed in obtaining a large chunk of the boulder! You can now return to the bar to turn the chunk in and complete the request.

Here's another gate.

It just leads to the other side of the path the 3rd Divine Judge was patrolling.

Thankfully it's not a one way trip.

This time, there are two gates to choose from.

The first one is a minor setback.

The other one leads further into the Labyrinth.

The large, fully ripened fruit has a pungent aroma and looks as if it would be delicious.

Mmm, that looks like it would be a good snack. It looks like it's big enough for everyone too. Let's chow down!

WAIT!

Huh?

You have to be careful in eating that fruit!

Farmer Alice advises you that although the fruit is delicious, care must be taken in eating it. Its soft skin bursts easily, potentially spilling the sweet-smelling juice on the eater.

And monsters really really love the smell of that juice!

Oh. Well, thank you Alice, for the warning. I suppose you do have your uses after all. Hmmhmm.

O-oh eh-heh, it's nothing.

The danger, Alice explains, is that the fruit’s smell tends to attract monsters. You thank Alice for the advice and reach out to pluck one of the fruits. You share it with the rest of the party, all of you being careful while eating the delicious fruit.

That was the last class specific event in the game. Having a Farmer in the party will restore 100 HP to the party with no strings attached and lets you avoid a disaster. If you're wondering what happens when you don't have a Farmer in the party...

If I may ask, just what kind of monsters does this fruit attract?

Well...

The large, fully ripened fruit has a pungent aroma and looks as if it would be delicious. If you like, you can pick the fruit and taste it for yourself.

Mmm, that looks like it would be a good snack. It looks like it's big enough for everyone too. Let's chow down!

I am feeling quite peckish.

I could use a bite to eat too.

You take a hearty bite of the fruit. Its sweet taste is pleasing to the tongue.

However, the fruit was riper than you anticipated, and its juices burst all over your clothing!

Whoa, it's all over me!

Faye, mind your manners!

Oh dear, we made quite a mess.

Ah relax, we can just wash it off later.

Everyone laughs at the sweet smell soaked into their clothes before returning to the journey.

You still get the 100 HP heal but...

We uh, got a bit of a problem here.

Why are they surrounding us?

The juices! Since they are all over us, we smell like five giant oranges to them!

...Aw crud. It's too late to wash our clothes now, huh?

It seems they’ve been attracted by the sweet smell of the fruit you ate earlier... Before you have time to regret your mistake, the starving beasts leap at you with bared fangs!

DS Version

This is another delayed event, and also the last one in the game. Once you cross this point, the 2nd part of the event starts. Though using an Ariadne Thread to go back to town will let you avoid it. Yeah, it's another bait and switch, and also a pretty big dick move.

Though 2 Sickwoods aren't too bad to deal with.

DS Version

Before you have time to prepare, a second pack of beasts pounces!

Oh come on!

DS Version

This is the real dick move.

Miasma Bud
Level: 54
HP: 1112
STR: 51
VIT: 53
AGI: 36
LUC: 43
TEC: 46
Exp: 3898
Item Drops:
-Drop 1: Biting Vine - 40% Drop Rate. 1 needed for Morbarabakets (Boots.) 2 needed for Keris (Knife.) 3 needed for Dreadnought (Crossbow.) 4 needed for Kurourushi Oodachi (Katana.) 5 needed for Hoplon (Shield) and Disease Mantle (Accessory.)
--Very difficult to pull off once it’s wrapped tight.
-Drop 2: N/A
Description: A dangerous flower in the Porcelain Forest that has a symbiotic relationship with some monsters.
Damage Resistances: Slash: 100% Strike: 100% Pierce: 100% Fire: 150% Ice: 100% Volt: 100%
Other Resistances: Death: 100% Petrification: 100% Stun: 100%

Skills:

Call Ally: Does not use a body part. Summons 2 Rotten Fruits. Has an action speed of +2000.
Stinky Mist: Limit Skill. Requires a Miasma Bud and a Rotten Fruit. Deals 70% Pierce damage to the entire party and has a 50% chance to inflict Plague and Head Bind. The Plague ticks for 120 damage. Has an accuracy of 99. Has an action speed of +0.

These things are normally encountered on floor 20, but they're huge butts either way. They can inflict Plague on your entire party, and Head Binds on top of that so you can't cure it easily, and the Plague deals a ton of damage. Either take out both Rotten Fruit fast, or try to take down the Miasma Bud as soon as possible.

I'M MELTING! :supaburn:

While the Sickwoods weren't a threat normally, there is a chance that they could have worn you down, which is what really makes this encounter a dick move.

Though if you can make quick work of the Rotten Fruit, you don't have much to worry about.

Bath time. Now.

Okay okay, sheesh.

You reflect ruefully that a scent that enticing would naturally attract keen-nosed creatures. You resolve to learn from your recklessness and return to your explorations with greater care.

...That's one heck of an imagination you've got there, Alice.

I could see it happening, what with your table manners being as bad as they are.

W-well, they could use a bit of improvement...

Sometimes *munch* I wonder where you learned *munch* to behave like *crunch* that.

:ughh:

Hey, I have perfectly good manners!

Faye, you were about to plunge your face into that fruit until Alice stopped you.

I-uh, quiet! We've got a Labyrinth to explore and a princess to rescue!

I'll end things off for now. We'll finish off the 19th floor next time.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 20, 2016

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Oh, hey, this got updated again! :allears:

I always felt like Zodiacs were great, but I guess they're only good for exploration more than the bosses, huh? Always tried taking them to the later ones after how ridiculous they were with the Etheric Charge and the Limits...

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
I dunno, game, I think Alice is pretty skilled in chopping plants...
... and foxes, and birds, and walruses, and dragons...

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

A couple minor, itty-bitty typos I saw.

Dr. Fetus posted:

If I ever Sidney missing a shot AGAIN in my life, it'll be too soon!

If I never see

Dr. Fetus posted:

Note that Exhaust field affects everyone's next action, so you can't use something like Kighthood to go before it and avoid the extra TP cost entirely.

Knighthood

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

So that went well. Nice to see how far Alice has come since she joined the guild way back when.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

I make alive things dead and sometimes the other way around.
wait are you telling me the reason i got ganked by a divine judge is because the loving TIME CHANGED

Long story short, on a later floor with a black-out zone on the map, I saw the Divine Judge in a room I had already mapped was patrolling side to side, so I planned my route through the room assuming he'd retain that path and ended up walking right into his up-and-down patrol route, getting blindsided and nearly getting a game over.
/typicaleostory

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

BlackPersona posted:

Oh, hey, this got updated again! :allears:

I always felt like Zodiacs were great, but I guess they're only good for exploration more than the bosses, huh? Always tried taking them to the later ones after how ridiculous they were with the Etheric Charge and the Limits...

They're still pretty strong, though they do start to fall off later. Etheric Charged Limits are still a great source of damage. Though if you want your Zodiac to keep up with the others, Meteor is the way to go.

RareAcumen posted:

A couple minor, itty-bitty typos I saw.

If I never see

Knighthood

Fixed, thanks.

Efe posted:

wait are you telling me the reason i got ganked by a divine judge is because the loving TIME CHANGED

Long story short, on a later floor with a black-out zone on the map, I saw the Divine Judge in a room I had already mapped was patrolling side to side, so I planned my route through the room assuming he'd retain that path and ended up walking right into his up-and-down patrol route, getting blindsided and nearly getting a game over.
/typicaleostory

Ouch, that's unlucky. Yeah, that's what happened. They aren't aggressive.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, the enemy combos suddenly came fast and thick, didn't they?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Update 71: Sisters

DS Version

Alice got a level up after a few more battles.

Leveling up Izuna some more.

Since it's nighttime now, I can go get the treasure the Divine Judge was blocking. Though at this point, money isn't that hard to come by.

Geez, who left this much money lying around?

Faye, watch where you're going!

Huh, wha-AAAAAGGGHH!

DS Version

I accidentally ran into a Divine Judge, and then this happened. Just my luck.

If you were wondering how hard Divine Storm hits normally...

:gibs:

It hits very very hard. Taking them on without some form of Volt protection is ill-advised.

No.

Though Magic Parry kicked in and saved Cassandra's life.

Smell ya later!

DS Version

A5 Chop Point:
Mahogany: 70% Gather Rate.
Aesculus Wood: 30% Gather Rate.
Paulownia Bark: Rare.
Common Gather Periods: 1 to 9.
Rare Gather Periods: 0 to 3.

Here's the other Chop Point on this floor.

This time I made sure to level up Proper Form so he would whiff less. It increases his accuracy by 10.

There's another gate up ahead.

And the stairs to the next floor! But refrain from going down them just yet.

Instead, head through this gate first.

Just in case you need to go back, there's a gate here that will take you back to the stairs.

But going through that gate lets you reach this shortcut so you can skip the entire floor on future visits.

And with that, we are completely done with the 19th floor!

Here it is, the final floor in the main game. Which we'll go through later. For now, it's back to town.

DS Version

It has been a while, huh?

It’s funny, you know? It feels like it was just yesterday that you guys first came here. What’s that they say about the way that goes? Oh yeah! “Time flies”! It fits you pretty well since you’re always flying up and down the Labyrinth! Well, you can count on me to hold down the fort here so you have somewhere to come and relax!

DS Version

I’m unclear on the details, but I know much has happened and you’re exploring the Porcelain Forest. Well, it matters not where you go or what you do, as long as you do it confidently and passionately. Pay no heed to what others say about you. Keep to the path you believe in.

Wha?

...Perhaps that wasn’t what you’d expect from me, but I’m not totally one-dimensional, you know. Heehee!

I sell off all the materials I have and unlocked some more equipment.

This sword provides a 9% chance to Stun enemies when using regular attacks.

The Thunder Cannon provides adds 30% Volt damage to the user's regular attacks.

And that's it for now.

I don’t really know what you’re facing in your explorings right now... ...But the looks on your faces say that it is truly fierce. You look like true adventurers! If you ever feel lonely, or need a drink, or a side job, or just a friend, come on in! I’ll always be here!

Hey, guys. I heard ya made it to B20F. Congrats! Ya’ve helped me out so much this far, drinks are on me today. It pays to be nice once in a while! Check this out! It’s a Dark Cat’s Claw! The end of the Labyrinth’s coming up, is why I’m showing ya. If ya want one, charbroil a Volt Cat with a fire attack. Easy, huh? Just keep it to yourselves. Though I dunno if it matters that much, since most guys’d never get that far down to begin with!

This is the last time Toma shows up in the bar. There are still more conditional drops out there, but you're on your own when it comes to figuring those out.

My attendants Benjamin and Albert aren’t back from the shopping yet. I’m quite bored... Linger awhile. Tell me, have you fought any Divine Judges? Their volt attacks are rather fearsome...

Tell me about it.

If Benjamin hadn’t protected us with Volt Guard, we’d have been fried to cinders. Moreover, it heals itself when not attacking, so struggles against it can last quite some time. But a fine princess I’d be if I shrunk from such vermin. Let us both keep our heads held high!

DS Version

Reckless idiots keep flocking to register here because they want to be just like you folks. I got my hands full taking care of them so they live even one day longer. But that’s my lot in life. You guys need to focus on your own duty right now. When you can do that, that’s when you’ll come into your own. And not as explorers... as people.

DS Version

When you got here, you were much like them. You had anxiety in your eyes, but hope and strength too. I wonder how many of them wrest their glory with their own hands... Maybe none of them. Some will perish out of sheer misfortune. Others will leave after frustration crushes their dreams... No matter how quickly they fade from the our memories, the sea never forgets. That’s why you should be glad to leave on your next journey. I pray you are met with good fortune.

DS Version

It’s just that she wants to see to the Princess’ safety personally, so she headed out.

All by herself?

She's got some guts.

DS Version

It said I should come back to Armoroad, “if you can.” There weren’t any specifics, but I could tell she thinks something bad is about to happen down here. ...... But so many explorers rely on this shop... Won’t they be in trouble if I close it down? Ahh, I should be fine. If I end up in danger, one of those brave young explorers will save me!

DS Version

The day is coming where the Deep One lurking in Armoroad will be slain and the city will be saved. As I recall, you defied the Abyssal King and defeated the guardian, didn’t you? Be ready to apologize.

Sure, whatever ya say.

There's still a bit more I want to cover in this update.

DS Version

First up is this quest.

...Does Edie really not have that much faith in her sister?

Ah, it is you! That request is from the girl over at Napier’s Firm. She is wanting to make sure her sister in the Deep City has her shop open at day and at night. I am feeling that there are some serious trust issues if she is making this request... Anyway, just go to the Deep City and check on the younger sister’s store. Get going!

I'll take the other request later.

I then remembered to turn in this quest. Missy's dialogue changes depending on if you broke the boulder or not.

If you didn't break the boulder:

Well, well, welcome! Were you able to get the requested item?

Yes, here you go.

...That just looks like what a rock looks like. Are you sure that’s the mystery boulder? Well, his request was to find something “like” it... You sure this was part of it?

Oh, we're sure alright. Hee hee.

Well, all right... I bet the client will be satisfied with this anyways. Okay, one “mystery” rock. Here is your reward for it! Heh heh heh! You had better be this conniving from now on, okay?

You only get 1 Intelligence Book here if you do this.

If you did break the boulder:

Well, well, welcome! Were you able to get the requested item?

Right here!

...Is this part of that mysterious boulder? Ooh... It’s all warm in my hand. It calms me down, too. Are you thinking there are spirits in it? ...Helloooo? Spirits? Then again, that merchant is just going to give it to his boss... What a wasting. But, I can’t judge! A request is a request! My emotionings are no matter here! Good job! Here is your reward! A pleasure doing business with you!

Doing this nets you 2 of the books.

Though the exp reward remains the same either way.

Cassandra now has a 7% chance to nullify physical attacks.

As for the Intelligence books...

I just decided to increase Asteria's attacking capabilities a bit. Anyways, let's start the Sisters quest.

I’m paying for this out of my own pocket, so you’d better keep an eye on my sister. I want you to go to her branch in the day and at night and make sure she’s working.

Uhh, why?

...Why am I asking you to do this? It doesn’t matter. I’m paying you, so just do it.

We should probably just go.

DS Version

Hoo... I’m so busy. Looks like I won’t be able to get back to Armoroad today, either.

Nothing out of the ordinary here.

And then I rested up at the inn to change the clock to nighttime.

...By the way, what are you really doing here? You’ve been watching me all day. Tell me the truth, now, or else you’ll find things quite a bit more expensive here.

Um...

Keeping quiet, huh? Well, I’ve got some ideas of my own. But you might as well tell me.

You have to say yes here.

Oh screw this! Let's just tell her! Your sister sent us here us to spy on you all day cause she thought you were slacking off. The really weird part was that she's actually paying us to do this.

...My sister paid you to spy on me!? She must be up to something if she’s paying! Hey, can I ask a favor of you? Can you pretend you’re spying on me, but watch my sister? You’ve already seen my shop. Look, I’ll give you a reward too if you do this.

Deciding not to cooperate with her will force the quest to end early, and net you the lesser reward. Though you won't get locked out of it until your report to Edie, so you can talk to her sister again if you change your mind. But I'll show off what happens if you do.

Ehhh, I don't think we should be getting more involved in this than we already have.

Man, you’re so uptight... Oh well, then I guess I can’t force you to do anything. Fine, just go back to my sister. Tell her I’m working really hard way down here.

DS Version

...Yeah, she was working all day and night. Business in the Deep City seemed busier than usual with more explorers heading there. You had nothing to worry about.

...I see. There are more explorers going to the Deep City now. She’s staying busy. It’s working out well, then... Never mind what I just said. You’ve satisfactorily completed the request. Go pick up your reward at the bar.

I dunno. I kinda get the feeling we could've done a bit more.

Welcoming! It seems that you have finished the request from the girl at the Firm! She did come by and say something about you being helpful. Well done! Here, this is your reward! Now run off with it!

A nice reward, but we can do better.

DS Version

Let's actually cooperate with her this time, and find out what this is all about.

Sure. Something seems kinda weird about all this to me.

Now you’re talking! Let’s put our heads together and find out what she’s plotting! I bet you’ll learn something if you ask people in Armoroad about her. Once you’ve learned something, report back to me. Hee hee, this is starting to get fun!

If we talk to her again...

...We haven't even started yet.

Or left this shop!

Where should we start, anyway? I don't think she's just going to tell us what's going on.

Hmm... Try striking up conversations with people at bars and restaurants. If you do that, you should be able to find some bit of gossip.

DS Version

No, she’s never here. She’s always in her store or getting shipments at the port. Oh, but I have seen her eating with the lady from the bar after she closes the shop. Even though she’s always in the store, she’s still able to make friends in the city.

DS Version

Hey, has that lady from the shop asked ya about anything or something lately?

...Huh? You want to know if that girl’s asked me anything? She does all the time! Just the other day, she was asking me about fashion! I like Armoroad Dyeing, so I told her all about how amazing that style is! ...But she said that my opinion didn’t help her! What a rude kid!

A couple of bar patrons show up just for this quest.

...Hm? Did the lady at the Firm ask me about anything? She sure did! She was wondering if it’s cold in the undersea city. I couldn’t really see a difference myself, but Aura seemed colder than usual, so I said probably so!

...Can I help you? Hm...? You want to know if the proprietor of Napier’s Firm asked me anything? Yes... she did. She asked if it was cold in the undersea city. I couldn’t help her... I find it cold wherever I go. I become chilled very easily... ...But it’s especially cold in the Deep City. I hate it there, but Nerona always drags me along... Honestly... I wish she would leave me be. I’ll catch my death there...

DS Version

Are you dense? Why would she come to the Explorers’ Guild? We always go to her! I like her. She always gets new weapons and armor as soon as I order them. It’s impressive how much pride she takes in her work, considering her young age. ...That’s not what you came to hear, is it? Well, if you’re not listening, then get out!

Tch. How rude.

DS Version

Oh, yes. She comes here all the time to check on the shipments of goods she receives. She’s been talking with a clothing merchant from Batavia about warm clothes. Just the other day, she was really pestering the guy as he was trying to leave. If you couldn’t hear them, it might have looked like a woman being dumped. Hahah!

I think that's all we're getting out of them.

Let's go back to the shop in the Deep City and see what her sister thinks.

DS Version

...And she was talking with a dress designer? What does that add up to?

You're not penalized for making a wrong choice here.

Maybe she wants to be a tailor, what with all the talk about clothing.

Well, that’s pretty obvious from what you just told me. What I want to know is why she would do such a thing.

You're just sent back to the choices immediately.

Didn't Missy say something about Armoroad dyeing?

Yeah, but Edie wasn't the one who-

You heard that from the bar owner? ...True, Armoroad Dyeing is very popular. It’s likely that my sister’s got some scheme up her sleeve now... Can you go back to the bar and double-check this with the lady there?

DS Version

Yeah, just one quick question. That lady asked ya about Armoroad dyeing, right?

...Huh? You want to know if she was asking me about Armoroad Dyeing? ...I doubt she would be able to come up with any schemes involving Armoroad Dyeing! Anyway! Are you guys working on that request?

Well, that was a bust.

Sidney, Missy was the one who talked about it, not Edie.

Oh. Oops.

DS Version

Let’s rethink. Why would my sister be asking if it’s cold and talk with a dress merchant?

Maybe she's dating him. The Harbormaster did say that Edie looked like she got dumped.

...You've been hanging out with Charlotte too much, sister.

What!? There’s no way in the world that my sister would be in a relationship. ...Look, can you go talk to that dress merchant, just in case? Um... If you check with him, my sister’s schemes will come to light! That’s all I want! The merchant ship from Batavia is in dock right now. The merchant should be at the bar.

DS Version

Oh, h-hello. May I help you? I’m, ah, a dress merchant by trade... I just opened up shop! I-I’m not used to this sort of place, b-but there’s still time until the n-next ship leaves...

We just need you to answer one quick question for us.

Oh, I-I’m sorry. W-Well then, what can a humble dress merchant like me do for you?

Have you talked with the owner of Napier's Firm recently?

...The owner of Napier’s Firm? Y-Yes, I speak with her frequently these days, but what of it...?

Yes:

We were just wondering what she was talking to you about. We're investigating something for her sister, you see.

I see... Unfortunately, she didn’t seem to be interested in much but my knowledge of clothing. She grabbed my collar and said I was to divulge everything I knew! That menacing look of hers... Brr!

No:

Oh, nothing important.

Oh... I see. Urgh... My head... I should’ve chosen a less painful way of drowning my sorrows.

If you talk to him again after saying yes:

Oh, how nice it is to see you again. I’m feeling much more at ease and relaxed now... About our conversation earlier… Tell her that Napier’s Firm and I exchanged nothing in particular.

Oh. Oops.

I've really got to talk with her one of these days...

Let's pick the right choice this time.

DS Version

If you pick the wrong choice again:

Hey, hey! We already found out that wasn’t right! C’mon, think harder!

Hmm, she was asking around about warm clothing and trying to find out if it was cold in the Deep City. Maybe she's trying to make some winter clothing?

I get it... She’s going to sell warm clothes to explorers going to the Deep City! ...I’ve got a new request for you. Can you get a Violet Tail from the maze? If my deductions are correct, then it’s a fine material for crafting winter apparel. I really ought to see that she gets one of them, then... ...I-I’m not helping her out or anything! I mean, her shop’s profits directly help mine! A-Anyway! Go find a Violet Tail somewhere and throw it in her face!

DS Version

By the way, how is my request going? I really do need to have it done sometime soon.

Uhhh, just give us a bit more time to get it done.

If you remember, Violet Tails are dropped from Silver Foxes, and you can only encounter them at night.

While I was hunting one down, Faye got a level up.

Strengthening Attack Order a bit more.

Eventually, I get one.

Ugh, finally. Let's get this to Edie.

You don’t have doubts about the request I--Wait... That purple tail! Please! Can you spare me a Violet Tail? I’ll pay you handsomely!

Here you go.

Thank heavens... You’re a big help. I was keeping this secret, but now I can finally do it. I’m thinking of using this tail to make warm clothing for my sister down in the Deep City. To be honest, I wanted you to check on her so I’d be sure she didn’t find out about this. In any case, you’ve helped both of us out. I’ll add a little something sweet to your reward.

Heh, you could have just told us that in the first place. We would've helped anyway.

DS Version

...Sheesh... If I’d known that, I’d have had you find better materials for her... I-It’s weird that my sister’s doing something nice for someone else... Well, I’m going to look forward to what kind of clothing she’s going to make me! My sister added an extra reward for this request, so go to the bar to get it.

DS Version

Welcome back! So it is looking like you had to go to the Deep City and back again, yes? They may say what they like, but those two girls seem to care about each other. Aww! That girl was just here a moment ago, wearing a heavy coat in this heat! Madness! Here, this is your reward! The girl said she added a little “sweetener” to it! I tried licking it, but it didn’t taste any sweeter, though...

I'm not touching those.

You get 3 Formaldehydes instead of 1 for doing the quest properly.

And the EXP reward increases from 3500 per person to 8000 per person.

Meteor now hits 4 to 6 times instead of 4 to 5 times.

But now that we got the Sisters quest done, we can take this quest.

Whoa, what the heck happened down there!?

There you are being! This is an urgent request made by the Explorers’ Guild! They are saying that there are these bird monsters running the mok on B1F! That is where novices and tourists and little children go! This is very dangerous! They are needing you to go to B1F and wipe out those birds! We’re counting on you! Now head out, adventurers!

There’s been an explosion in the bird population on B1F. It’s starting to be a hazard.

You wouldn't happen to know how to deal with them, would you?

According to the guards, the birds seem to have a leader that’s hiding somewhere on B1F. I don’t know if taking out the leader will cause the birds to leave, but it’s our only shot. Normally, I’d handle this myself, but there are a lot of novices being killed... ...Honestly, I’m a little jealous of you. I thought I’d get to put my sword to use. Well, I doubt you would be defeated by the likes of some birds. Go show your mettle!

You can talk to him again at the Explorer's Guild for more dialogue.

Ah, it’s you. What’re you doing here? How’s that bird request going? If I didn’t have so much paperwork piled up, I’d go take those things out myself. Ugh... My reputation as the dual-wielder of the scorching sands is going to waste... ...Look, I’m busy. If you don’t have any business here, hurry up and defeat the birds’ leader.

See those 2 FOEs in the middle of the map? That's where we need to go.

Though the trip will be more hazardous than usual.

DS Version

While this quest is incomplete, the only enemies you'll encounter on the first floor are Largebills and Peach Crows.

Oh dear, there are Peach Crows down here? Goodness, no wonder this was an urgent request.

Ah, but we should be able to take the green birdies, right?

Hey, what gives!? That should've killed it!

Surprise! They also souped up the Largebills for this quest!

Largebill
HP: 1082
STR: 55
AGI: 32
LUC: 40
TEC: 44
Exp: 3034
Item Drops: N/A
Description: A monstrous bird with an insatiable appetite. It ambushes its prey from above.
Damage Resistances: Slash: 100% Strike: 100% Pierce: 100% Fire: 100% Ice: 100% Volt: 150%
Ailment Resistances: Sleep: 100% Confusion: 100% Plague: 100% Poison: 100% Blind: 150% Curse: 50% Paralysis: 100%
Bind Resistances: Head: 50% Arm: 50% Leg: 50%
Other Resistances: Death: 100% Petrification: 100% Stun: 125%

Skills:

Chomp: Uses the Head. A single target Strike attack that deals 150% damage. Has an accuracy of 99. Has an action speed of -5.

They essentially turned them into reskinned Peach Crows stat wise, though it uses Chomp instead of Diving Breath.

Oh and the Peach Crow here is technically a different enemy.

Peach Crow
HP: 1082
STR: 55
AGI: 32
LUC: 40
TEC: 44
Exp: 3152
Description: A gigantic bird with an insatiable appetite. It barely flies, but it can still crush from above.
Damage Resistances: Slash: 100% Strike: 100% Pierce: 100% Fire: 100% Ice: 100% Volt: 150%
Ailment Resistances: Sleep: 100% Confusion: 100% Plague: 100% Poison: 100% Blind: 150% Curse: 50% Paralysis: 100%
Bind Resistances: Head: 50% Arm: 50% Leg: 50%
Other Resistances: Death: 100% Petrification: 100% Stun: 125%

Skills:

Diving Breath: Uses the Legs. Deals 110% Strike damage to one row. Has an accuracy of 90. Has an action speed of -5.

By which I mean it gives out 1000 less experience points than the ones in the Porcelain Forest and drops nothing whatsoever. Thanks Atlus. They're the same enemies otherwise.

Incidentally, if you somehow got to this point without ever encountering them before, these will fill in those codex entries.

YEEEAAAARRRT!

They're still just Peach Crows, so if you could handle those back in the 5th Stratum, you can handle them here.

DS Version

The birds coolly turn to stare you down. They appear to be a mating pair... These monstrous lovebirds must be the targets of this request. Attack them if you dare...

Oh dear.

I don't think they're going down without a fight.

If it's a fight they want, then we'll give it to them!

There are 2 FOEs in the room, and both of them are aggressive. The one on the bottom is the Avian King, while the one on the top is Majordomo. Take Majordomo out first.

:black101:Video: Avian King and Majordomo:black101:

DS Version

Majordomo
Level: 58
HP: 3550
STR: 62
VIT: 60
AGI: 39
TEC: 50
Exp: 7500
Description: N/A
Damage Resistances: Slash: 100% Strike: 100% Pierce: 100% Fire: 100% Ice: 100% Volt: 125%
Ailment Resistances: Sleep: 100% Confusion: 50% Plague: 50% Poison: 50% Blind: 100% Curse: 50% Paralysis: 50%
Bind Resistances: Head: 10% Arm: 10% Leg: 10%
Other Resistances: Death: 10% Petrification: 10% Stun: 50%

Skills:

Chomp: Uses the Head. A single target Strike attack that deals 150% damage. Has an accuracy of 99. Has an action speed of -5.
Ground Shake: Uses the Legs. Deals 50% Almighty damage to the entire party and has a 40% chance to inflict Stun. Has an accuracy of 120. Has an action speed of +5. Uses the TEC stat.
Panic Rush: Limit Skill. Requires the Avian King and Majordomo. Uses the Legs. Deals 130% Strike damage to the entire party and has a 30% chance to inflict Confusion. Has an accuracy of 99. Has an action speed of +0.

Once you get into a fight with one of the birds, the other one will try to join in as soon as possible. Majordomo is a really annoying enemy to fight. Mainly because it loves to stun lock your party through the use of Ground Shake. Chomp can instantly take out your squishier party members as well. This is not a fight you want to drag out. You want to weaken it as much as possible when the other bird joins in, or you're going to have a bad time.

Anyways, these birds aren't bosses, they're FOEs. So it's possible to instantly kill them or Petrify them. Sadly, nothing of the sort happened in this battle.

Line Guard is actually not that helpful against Majordomo, because Ground Shake is an Almighty attack. Still, it does help against Chomp.

Gonna boost up Sidney's attack power.

And have Faye help out with that.

Asteria will focus on zapping it.

I'm not really sure how I can slice something that big.

Let's give those birdbrains hell!

Oh, really!?

I suppose I'll have to be doing the majority of the work here.

Using Berserker Vow now would be stupid, so I have Sidney Charge instead.

Better have Faye heal up everyone. Protect Order heals for more at tis point, but the healing isn't instant.

And Asteria will zap it.

I think I'll be okay...

Uhh, hang on Alice! I'll help you in a bit.

I certainly hope that was revolting!

Wait till it gets a load of this!

You better not miss this time!

Are you still getting on my case about that!?

Here comes the other bird!

And the Avian King joins in.

Avian King
Level: 58
HP: 3550
STR: 62
VIT: 60
AGI: 39
TEC: 50
Exp: 7500
Description: N/A
Damage Resistances: Slash: 100% Strike: 100% Pierce: 100% Fire: 100% Ice: 100% Volt: 125%
Ailment Resistances: Sleep: 100% Confusion: 50% Plague: 50% Poison: 50% Blind: 100% Curse: 50% Paralysis: 50%
Bind Resistances: Head: 10% Arm: 10% Leg: 10%
Other Resistances: Death: 10% Petrification: 10% Stun: 50%

Skills:

Charge: Uses the Head. Doubles the attack power of the user's next physical attack. Has an action speed of +0.
Diving Breath: Uses the Legs. Deals 110% Strike damage to one row. Has an accuracy of 90. Has an action speed of -5.
Panic Rush: Limit Skill. Requires the Avian King and Majordomo. Uses the Legs. Deals 130% Strike damage to the entire party and has a 30% chance to inflict Confusion. Has an accuracy of 99. Has an action speed of +0.

Stat-wise, the Avian King and Majordomo are exactly the same. The only thing that differs are their skillsets. The Avian King is more focused on dealing lots of damage to your party.

Not taking any chances here, so I'm setting up a safety net for Cassandra.

Sidney will hopefully not miss and deal a ton of damage to one of the birds.

I'll have Faye revive Alice.

Now assuming Majordomo does not Stun Asteria or her and Faye get hit by Panic Rush, this should chop off a lot of HP.

Come at me.

Oh this is bad.

Panic Rush deals a lot of damage to everyone and has a chance to inflict Confusion. The other thing to be aware of about this skill is that the Avian King is the one that initiates it. It also has access to Charge, so a Charged Panic Rush can end the fight right then and there.

Rise and shine, Alice!

Ugh... Morning already? Oh! Um, thank you, Faye.

Hoo hoo! Asteria, ya should really step up your game! I think my explosives are packing a bit more punch than your magical doohickeys!

Yeah in the DS Etrian Odyssey titles, physical damage has pretty much always outpaced magical damage as you approach the end of the game. They fixed that in the later titles but Asteria is falling off a bit here. Still, it's not like she's left with nothing.

Oh, working together, huh? We can do that too! Ready, Asteria?

Let's get this lightshow started!

You were saying?

Ehhh, nice job there.

However, the elemental Limits do deal a ton of damage, and those actually don't fall off in the postgame. Of course the downside is that they essentially have a cooldown period. Still, that killed off one of the birds, and the other one is pretty much on its last legs.

I have no idea how everyone but Faye dodged that. :psyduck:

Hoo hoo! They'll have to glue ya back together in hell!

Do they have glue down there?

DS Version

The fight can range from annoying to outright deadly depending on how things play out. Still, it's not a long fight either way.

DS Version

Thousands of birds rise up from the trees, blotting out the sky as they flee! Without the leadership of the two giants, the flock has apparently fallen apart. In any case, the request has been completed. Report back to the bar when you can.

Geez, did you see how many of those were!?

How long were those two going at it!?

Mm, I don't think we'll be seeing those birds down here again. We should report back to Missy.

The encounters turn back to normal at this point.

DS Version

Ah, you are back! So, you have exterminated those birds, yes? Well done. That big bearded guy from the Guild left a reward here for you! I’ve never seen so many birds at the same time in all my life! I was so surprised!

Fairly decent rewards.

Alice's capabilities to instantly kill enemies increases.

This quest becomes available after clearing The bird pair, but we are not ready to take that on yet. Not even close.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 7, 2016

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Wow, a legit bird poop reference. Didn't see that coming.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Thousands of birds pooping in unison. :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Let’s rethink. Why would my sister be asking if it’s cold and talk with a dress merchant?

Missy, you're drunk. Go home. And stop stealing Edie's sister's lines. That's not cool.

• Locked thread