Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

oddium posted:

yeah i'm not disputing luffy might get deus ex haki-ed. i do hope nami leads a rescue luffy arc though, and that she keeps her extremely cute dirndl for the rest of the manga

Luffy gets beat. Sanji's siblings think he is a joke and underestimate the poo poo out of him until later getting pancaked by rested Luffy.

ALTERNATIVELY

Sanji loses to Luffy on purpose but still puts up a good act, thus resulting in his family being further disgraced and Luffy dragging him off "by force"

OR

Luffy breaks the exploding bracelets and Sanji gets to loving up some Vinsmoke poo poo

Also it'd be hilarious if one of the Vinsmokes pulls out Zeff as a hostage at the wedding and Zeff reveals he let them take him on purpose cause he wanted to see Sanji again, immediately followed by him curb stomping somebody with his peg leg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
yo did anyone notice this chapter felt a lot less busy? like, it felt like oda slowed down his pacing slightly (in a good way), and uses empty space like he used to.

Jesse James
Oct 11, 2009

IchiGO?
I love One Piece and all, but I just watched a video last night where the guy laid out the parallels of the first part and the second part (after timeskip) where Fishman island is a lot like Arlong Park, Punk Hazard like Drum Island, Dressrosa like Alabasta, Zou like Skypeia and now Whole Cake like Water 7/ Enis Lobby. And with Sanji's quick heel turn, it's very reminiscent of Robin's heel turn.

Again, I love One Piece, it's just interesting the parrallels.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Ugh do we REALLY have to go through this plot element again?

I really hope this is a setup for a clever subversion of this done to death trope.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If Sanji uses this as a quick way to explain to luffy what's going on while fighting him, I'm all for it.

If it somehow turns into a Robin scenario despite everything Sanji's fundamental understanding of the crew and especially Luffy, I'll have to seriously start questioning Oda's decisions. But I doubt it'll be that.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
It should be within Sanji's character to subvert this setup. Hopefully Oda follows thorugh.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Crazyeyes posted:

I'll remind you all that Judge and the boys all seem to rely heavily on electricity based attacks.

"Judge and the Boys" is a badass group name

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I really think Sanji is scheming to get those bracelets off ASAP, so he's goading Luffy into a fight to get some distance from his family and then get them off somehow. Remember how Rayleigh was able to rip off Keimi's slave collar so fast that it didn't have time to explode on her? I'm thinking something like that will happen.

anime was right posted:

yo did anyone notice this chapter felt a lot less busy? like, it felt like oda slowed down his pacing slightly (in a good way), and uses empty space like he used to.

Feels like post-break chapters are extra-dense to help make up for the lost week.

Captain Invictus posted:

If Sanji uses this as a quick way to explain to luffy what's going on while fighting him, I'm all for it.

If it somehow turns into a Robin scenario despite everything Sanji's fundamental understanding of the crew and especially Luffy, I'll have to seriously start questioning Oda's decisions. But I doubt it'll be that.

Yeah you summed up what I was thinking before I posted. Sanji is one of the smartest Straw Hats; no way he isn't putting on a show for his family to gain their trust.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

sanji's gonna do some trick or something to make it look like he won and they can go but his dad is gonna see through it. whatever happens his dad is going to yell at him

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Mulderman posted:

Ugh do we REALLY have to go through this plot element again?

I really hope this is a setup for a clever subversion of this done to death trope.

Yeah if it's done in like one chapter that's fine but if we have to deal with months of HOW COULD SANJI BETRAY US?? when we all know that's not the case it's going to be really frustrating.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

anime was right posted:

Agreed. It was very easy to follow, as opposed to a lot of Dressrosa.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
Why doesn't he just Haki-magic his hands and either break them or let them blow up because Haki makes things indestructible???

Big plot hole imo.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Haki doesn't work that way.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I bet you Sanji will signal to Luffy and Nami that something's wrong by trying to punch Luffy, which hopefully someone will notice.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mulderman posted:

:thejoke:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I wonder if Luffy will hear Sanji's inner Voice (thoughts). However it happens, I also really hope this goes in a cool direction rather than a drawn-out one.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I just love how casual Luffy strolled up to Sanji

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

oddium posted:

sanji's gonna do some trick or something to make it look like he won and they can go but his dad is gonna see through it. whatever happens his dad is going to yell at him

Perhaps during the fight, Luffy goes for the knockout, and while the other Vinsmokes would call a mook to human shield it, Sanji will refuse and Judge and family will realize it was all an act.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Jesse James posted:

I love One Piece and all, but I just watched a video last night where the guy laid out the parallels of the first part and the second part (after timeskip) where Fishman island is a lot like Arlong Park, Punk Hazard like Drum Island, Dressrosa like Alabasta, Zou like Skypeia and now Whole Cake like Water 7/ Enis Lobby. And with Sanji's quick heel turn, it's very reminiscent of Robin's heel turn.

Again, I love One Piece, it's just interesting the parrallels.

Do you have a link to that video?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I mean, he's already told them to "read between the lines". It seems like he could just stay things that they'd understand but his family wouldn't like "This is just like the time Robin left the crew, understand? I'm not coming back!"

Honestly, he seems to care more about Zeff being assassinated than losing his own hands, but I'm not coming up with any way Luffy could easily get a message to Zeff that would fix that situation.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

If Sanji's original design was based off Steve Buscemi, does that make his brothers a bunch of Muscle Buscemis?

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

I'm extremely disappointed that Cracker is still on Whole Cake Island. I was hoping he'd show up again at Raftel.

Mulderman posted:

It doesn't? Didn't Luffy just bounce back a biscuit spear by covering himself in elasti-haki?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Mraagvpeine posted:

I bet you Sanji will signal to Luffy and Nami that something's wrong by trying to punch Luffy, which hopefully someone will notice.

I like this

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Yeah I dunno what's going on here, this feels very reminiscent of Usopp running away from Sugar. Yeah, we all know how it's going to end, but can we really not have anything but a retread of what we've had before? Sanji's laying it on extra thick saying he doesn't even remember Luffy's name, which should be a dead giveaway, but even Nami doesn't respond to it?

Kind of a shame because I liked the chapter otherwise. Kind of felt early for a "here's where we are so far" chapter, and clearly Luffy listing their goals out loud is what that was, so then to only have Sea Train 2: Electric Boogaloo round it out felt shallow, but it was fun seeing Luffy be Luffy, just grabbing onto the side of the cart and talking to Sanji ignoring everyone else. I liked the subtle, "How did he get here so fast?" from the supposedly superhuman siblings that have been training in warfare and combat since infancy. Really shows you how out of their league the Vinsmokes are this arc.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Bobulus posted:

Honestly, he seems to care more about Zeff being assassinated than losing his own hands, but I'm not coming up with any way Luffy could easily get a message to Zeff that would fix that situation.

I'm expecting Reiju to conveniently reveal that the Zeff thing was a bluff.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I wonder if Nami is going to set a crowd of homies on Germa's mooks to keep them off Sanji and Luffy.

Still looking forward to Chopper and Carrot inevitably crashing through a mirror at the wrong time, or possibly sending Brulee through one.

Edit: do the cuffs come off if they're fried? Once Nami notices them, a quick blast of electricity should do it.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 20, 2016

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

F. Lobot posted:

I'm extremely disappointed that Cracker is still on Whole Cake Island. I was hoping he'd show up again at Raftel.

It doesn't? Didn't Luffy just bounce back a biscuit spear by covering himself in elasti-haki?

And Vergo got cut in half. Haki hardens things, it doesn't make you "invincible"

I did like how Nami was totally unimpressed with Big Mam's weather changing powers.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I mean, it's obvious here that "I'll be the one... .to take all this trash back to where they belong" is pretty clearly Sanji employing some double meaning here for Luffy Nami's benefit, right?

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
I guess I just didn't feel that this was worth a chiffhanger chapter end, like yeah, even though Sanji will probably isolate and give them some message or something, Oda ending the chapter at this point felt like we, the reader, are supposed to be buying it. Otherwise there's little emotion at this chapter's end.

Jesse James
Oct 11, 2009

IchiGO?

Mraagvpeine posted:

Do you have a link to that video?

As a matter of fact...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dsxaLiY5ss

It's like 20 minutes long, its definitely interesting.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Jesse James posted:

As a matter of fact...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dsxaLiY5ss

It's like 20 minutes long, its definitely interesting.

I think just looking at the first volume cover, and the first new world volume cover pretty much sums it up.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I would argue that the Fishmen Island arc has more parallels and similarities to Skypeia than Zou, and I sort of see things between Zou to Jaya.

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 20, 2016

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I'll worry about it being a rehash of a cliche if Luffy actually believes Sanji at any point.

Right now Nami's sad and Luffy's angry because... that's how you react when you hear those words. But neither of them can possibly believe it.

I mean, Oda might go pretty far down that route, but considering the viewers know exactly why Sanji's doing this (unlike Robin when we were more or less along for the ride, not knowing her real motivations until her flashback), and considering Luffy and Nami have known Sanji for years now, I can't imagine we'll get a sincere break between Luffy and Sanji. Sanji's current dilemma is that he can't communicate his situation to Luffy. But he and Luffy are (presumably) really close, so he should be able to indicate something in this fight, while keeping his father placated.

It may be frustrating, but between the wrist explosives and the threat against Zeff, Sanji is in a really helpless situation.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the luffy vs zoro/usopp fights were good so i'm glad we'll get a chapter against sanji too

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

when does luffy fight zoro

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

oddium posted:

when does luffy fight zoro

Whiskey Peak, the first island of the Grand Line.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

oh right 10 000 years ago. a lot of early one piece i exclusively watched through kaizoku fansubs on torrents with like 3 seeds and i think i missed some episodes because of it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its a shame its a really good anime episode too iirc but it was like 12 years ago

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

oddium posted:

oh right 10 000 years ago. a lot of early one piece i exclusively watched through kaizoku fansubs on torrents with like 3 seeds and i think i missed some episodes because of it

nakama means friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Phone posted:

nakama means friend

Sugoi means sugoi*

*translator's notes: great