Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Hogge Wild posted:

ice pick is the coolest murder weapon

If you're thinking of Trotsky that was a climbing axe. An ice pick is a little thing for breaking up chunks of ice in a bucket, a climbing axe is a heavy sharp thing for chopping into icefalls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

to be fair I feel like any decent biography will have you go "wow what an rear end in a top hat" multiple times throughout the book, but douggy stands out.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Phanatic posted:

If you're thinking of Trotsky that was a climbing axe. An ice pick is a little thing for breaking up chunks of ice in a bucket, a climbing axe is a heavy sharp thing for chopping into icefalls.

Ice picks can be both in British English. A small ice axe can be an ice pick.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Oh hey, MacArthur discussion

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Phanatic posted:

Climbing axes aren't heavy and neither was the one that killed Trotsky:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Disinterested posted:

Climbing axes aren't heavy and neither was the one that killed Trotsky:

that's a solid weapon, 8.5/10, would stab a guy in a 17th century battle with it

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

HEY GAL posted:

that's a solid weapon, 8.5/10, would stab a guy in a 17th century battle with it

that's max 3/10 17th C weapon, it doesn't even have a single pistol!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Tevery Best posted:

Untrue on pretty much all counts.

First: when Poland adopted Catholicism in mid-10th century1, nobody really concerned themselves with what alphabet they're going to use to write in Polish, since no-one had plans to do that yet. The first written record of the Polish language comes in 1136 when the papal Bull of Gniezno (Ex commisso nobis a Deo) lists a number of names of people and places in Poland in Polish. Now, the claim that any alphabet "reads as it is written and is written the way it is heard" is false on linguistic grounds, and while it has to be said that some alphabets are probably closer to that ideal than others (e.g. the Latin alphabet tends to be far off since it has originally been designed for, well, Latin), the Cyrilic script was created in the 9th century by a Greek to reflect a Slavic dialect from the Saloniki area. Assuming it would be any accurate for, say, Polish phonology of the 12th century would be wrong.

Second: we can track the development of Polish orthography throughout the centuries with little difficulty, and we can see that many attempts have been made to integrate Polish phonology more completely into the Latin alphabet, and they devote plenty of attention to the matter of vowels as well. However, by the 16th century Polish pretty much discards the entire phenomenon of vowel length, with some former long vowels reducing to their short versions (e.g. a: -> a) and others even completely changing their pronunciation (e.g. o: -> u, although it did go through some intermediate stages), rendering most of those attempts moot. So, the reason most Polish vowels disappeared was because nobody could be arsed to bother with the "long vowel" bullshit.

Third: if we only count the vowels which appear as discrete graphic signs, Poland still has a leg up on English because of the nasalized vowels ą and ę (yes it is cheating).

Fourth: Polish appears to have very few vowels relative to consonants due to using "z" for most digraphs, but this is only a visual thing.

Fifth: it's actually źdźbło (sing.) and źdźbła (pl.).

1I shall disregard the Lechite Empire hypothesis and the "My wooden plank proves they didn't!!!" hypothesis for the purposes of this post.

:saddowns: How did I gently caress up my favorite word?

Seriously, good post.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

P-Mack posted:

I like how we have this pop culture trope of a stealthy cloak and dagger shadow assassin, then a lot of historical assassinations are like, 30 freaking guys with swords and axes just surrounding the victim and going to town.

Didn't people (or at least important people and their guards) get freaked out by the introduction of the first pistols that were short enough to be concealable and no longer requiredslow match to be fired.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

I'm sure what the classic image of assasination is varies by culture a lot. I'm also sure for some it's the carbomb.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

P-Mack posted:

I like how we have this pop culture trope of a stealthy cloak and dagger shadow assassin, then a lot of historical assassinations are like, 30 freaking guys with swords and axes just surrounding the victim and going to town.

Nero tried to have his mother killed on the deck of her pleasure boat by a complicated lead-weighted canopy that would collapse and smother her by "accident". She survived, so the back-up system was engaged: a scuttling of the ship that simulated an "accidental" sinking where she would drown. However, she swam to shore and got away. So Nero just sent some guys to stab her in her villa.

*An amalgamation of fun but dubious sources.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Deptfordx posted:

Didn't people (or at least important people and their guards) get freaked out by the introduction of the first pistols that were short enough to be concealable and no longer requiredslow match to be fired.

I believe it was the assassination of William the Silent that freaked them out good.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I really feel disappointed no one will ever ask Trump if he thinks Truman was right to fire MacArthur.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

lenoon posted:

Ice picks can be both in British English. A small ice axe can be an ice pick.

Ah, fair enough.

TIL that a GIS for 'ice pick' includes at least one severed human head.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

xthetenth posted:

I believe it was the assassination of William the Silent that freaked them out good.

Is "the Silent" a UK vs US thing? Or English vs non English thing?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Groda posted:

Is "the Silent" a UK vs US thing? Or English vs non English thing?

Or potentially an xthetenth is tired and phoneposting so isn't 100% trustworthy thing.

Nahh, seems to be a thing in the US at least, what's the Dutch/rest of the world form of reference?

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 20, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

xthetenth posted:

Or potentially an xthetenth is tired and phoneposting so isn't 100% trustworthy thing.
nope, that's the dude and that's his epithet

same in spanish too, iirc

why?

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Disinterested posted:

I'm sure what the classic image of assasination is varies by culture a lot. I'm also sure for some it's the carbomb.

USA: politician or celebrity shot by crazy person, often by pistol at close range, occasionally by rifle from distance
Russia: journalist killed by government via dubious "suicide," "mugging," or exotic poison
Colombia: two guys on a dirt bike pull up, the one in the back fires a machinegun at a person who could be important or not (it doesn't matter), they drive away
Japan: politician or military officer killed via sword (includes 20th century assassinations, for some reason)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Schenck v. U.S. posted:

for some reason
japanese fascists were weebs for themselves

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

P-Mack posted:

To be fair , there is no kill better than overkill. If you can line it up that way its a lot more reliable than one sneaky dude.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Deptfordx posted:

Didn't people (or at least important people and their guards) get freaked out by the introduction of the first pistols that were short enough to be concealable and no longer required slow match to be fired.

Now I'm imagining a guy trying to look nonchalant at a court waiting for the king while a thin wisp of smoke rises from underneath his cloak.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

HEY GAL posted:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hogge Wild posted:

that's max 3/10 17th C weapon, it doesn't even have a single pistol!

Also the head isn't modelled as a miniature hand either holding the stabby bit or where the stabby bit is formed of an extended middle finger.

Nor is it covered in gold filigree.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 20, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

feedmegin posted:

To be fair , there is no kill better than overkill. If you can line it up that way its a lot more reliable than one sneaky dude.
i assume this is why the halberd murder / axe murder / getting the target drunk at a banquet and then locking the doors happened

also remember if it's the 17th century your target is also probably armed, if they're dressed at all. you want to counter their inevitable self-defense

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fangz posted:

I really feel disappointed no one will ever ask Trump if he thinks Truman was right to fire MacArthur.

MacArthur wanted to nuke China for basically no reason. No wonder Trump likes him.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

HEY GAL posted:

nope, that's the dude and that's his epithet

same in spanish too, iirc

why?
ah, in spanish he is william of orange. "the silent' is his dutch epithet

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HEY GAL posted:

ah, in spanish he is william of orange. "the silent' is his dutch epithet

Isn't the 'of Orange' generic? We had one of those in 1689 and that's a different dude.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

HEY GAL posted:

Sadly they still are I fear for that nation when all the bitter reformed WW2 vets die off for good.

Also, Battlefield 1 from a history view point seems quite respectful and the dude who wrote the loading tips and codex certainly knows their stuff history wise. Campaign is pretty good covering the 'people were just people, WW1 happened' angle.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

feedmegin posted:

Isn't the 'of Orange' generic? We had one of those in 1689 and that's a different dude.
it is, that's what their royal house would be if they had kings. but why would spain care about the dude who went to england, instead of the dude who launched the rebellion against them?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

Sadly they still are
all fascists are weebs for their own people

you could argue that's one of the defining characteristics of fascism, being an autoweeb

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Schenck v. U.S. posted:

USA: politician or celebrity shot by crazy person, often by pistol at close range, occasionally by rifle from distance
Russia: journalist killed by government via dubious "suicide," "mugging," or exotic poison
Colombia: two guys on a dirt bike pull up, the one in the back fires a machinegun at a person who could be important or not (it doesn't matter), they drive away
Japan: politician or military officer killed via sword (includes 20th century assassinations, for some reason)

imo we haven't really progressed as a civilization until assassinations by electrocution become more common. Stabbing, shooting and poisoning people is so passé!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SeanBeansShako posted:

No, have them walk through our own angry gauntlet where we twat them with a Dictionary.

The old hardbacked ones.
Perhaps we just pelt them with pocket sized ones from afar instead?

Tekopo posted:

EDIT: it's always funny hearing english people butchering the pronunciation of gnocchi
True comedy is English people pronouncing Irish names. It's even better than yanks doing it, because they don't have reason to know any better.

aphid_licker posted:

Now I'm imagining a guy trying to look nonchalant at a court waiting for the king while a thin wisp of smoke rises from underneath his cloak.
This is why in pop culture assassins always smoke.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i love matchlocks not in spite of, but because of the fact that they kinda suck a little.

they are the :wooper: of guns

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cythereal posted:

MacArthur wanted to nuke China for basically no reason. No wonder Trump likes him.

Although Patton hated the Russians, so that's a little bit of a mystery.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

lol @ you guys assuming trump know anything about them other than WW2 general and looks manly

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Agean90 posted:

lol @ you guys assuming trump know anything about them other than WW2 general and looks manly
thank god nobody asked me that question in public :sperg:

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Tevery Best posted:

Also maces, picks, sabres, and bows (okay, bows kind of went out of fashion past the 16th century).

Although it has to be said they really went a long way, as they started as light cavalry modelled on Hungarian regiments, then got heavier in the 16th century, they used shields for a while, then they ditched them, then they started using pistols, at some point the wings thing popped up. Good times all around.

Were the guys in the hussars the same weirdos that dressed up kooky steppe outfits and fancied themselves "Samartians" or was that just the high nobility?

Schenck v. U.S. posted:

Guinea-Bissau: President João Bernardo Vieira was assassinated in the early hours of March 2, 2009, in the capital, Bissau. Unlike typical assassinations his death was not swift; he first survived an explosion at the Presidential Villa, was then shot and wounded, and finally was butchered with machetes. His assassination was carried out by renegade soldiers who were apparently revenging the killing of General Tagme Na Waie, who had been killed in a bomb explosion the day before.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Agean90 posted:

I kinda feel like if you have to pick a WW2 US general to hold up as your role model, you'd pick Eisenhower.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fangz posted:

I kinda feel like if you have to pick a WW2 US general to hold up as your role model, you'd pick Eisenhower.

Expand beyond just the dirt-sloggers and I'd pick Nimitz every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Howlin mad smith thanks