Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just saw a bit of Stephen Nolan having a go at a Trump supporter over a video link. Nolan should get a shot at the big time. You know, he should have a shot at Newsnight or something. Like all Northern Irish people, he has a naturally threatening accent, so I think he'd be good at it even if he did nothing but talk complete nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Wheat Loaf posted:

Just saw a bit of Stephen Nolan having a go at a Trump supporter over a video link. Nolan should get a shot at the big time. You know, he should have a shot at Newsnight or something. Like all Northern Irish people, he has a naturally threatening accent, so I think he'd be good at it even if he did nothing but talk complete nonsense.

His accent isn't threatening, it's silly. Also he has a high voice and an eating problem.

That's him trying to look tough. And Julian Simmons is a creepy bastard and I'm glad he won't be on my television set anymore.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

crispix posted:

His accent isn't threatening, it's silly.

Fair enough, I can compromise: I think all the Northern Irish accents are both. :shrug:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Not everyone here talks like Jim McDonald.

*snort*!! so they don't :newlol:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I am almost certainly prejudiced because I live among the poshos in North Down. :v:

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders
I met Su Pollard in the local. I asked if I could put a small donkey on her head for a photo. She said yes, so I went home to get the donkey.

Bogmonster posted:

That was a mirror, Dara.

I sat next to Jeremy Beadle on a plane to Ibiza when I was nine. He made me move out of the window seat because he wanted it. He didn't speak to me much and seemed kind of grumpy, but that might have been because I was staring at his weird little hand a fair bit.

I took a plane to Ibiza
to show Jeremy Beadle I was cool
And when I finally moved over, he got colder
hey tiny hand, I'm looking atchoo

reality_groove posted:

What's everyone's favourite thing than happened on a Children in Need/Comic Relief/Stand Up to Cancer telethon? My favourite is when they get newsreaders to do awkward song and dance routines.

About a decade ago the newsreaders did a leatherclad version of Wild Boys. I fell asleep that night and acted it out in my dream. I was punching the air, and punched shelves (which I now know should not have been there, but we lived in 1 room in a shared house) above the bed, breaking them and sending picture frames, photo albums and coins all over me and my sleeping girlfriend. She was not impressed, although was later amused (once the swelling had gone down)

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Looke posted:

i frequently see justin lee collins pissed out his head in bristol, right laugh

Rarity posted:

Cripes I live in Bristol. I didn't realise I was in such danger

Looke posted:

it's sad, i saw him in cabot a month or so ago, and you could tell he wanted to be recognised :(

I'm a Bristol goon who works in the centre, and have seen this clown too often.
He used to go around in dark glasses to hide his face (when the was 'famous') but now you see him just smiling at random people.

I also saw him about a month after his scandal on Queen square with a bleeding lip. I like to think someone recognised him :v:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Oh god he's smiling he's planning something!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Khablam posted:

I'm a Bristol goon who works in the centre, and have seen this clown too often.
He used to go around in dark glasses to hide his face (when the was 'famous') but now you see him just smiling at random people.

I also saw him about a month after his scandal on Queen square with a bleeding lip. I like to think someone recognised him :v:

What did he do again? I mostly remember him as a poo poo comedian and presenter.

I assume he's living rough now?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

What did he do again? I mostly remember him as a poo poo comedian and presenter.

He physically and mentally abused his girlfriend.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

BizarroAzrael posted:

Apparently he's still on the radio somewhere so he's probably not quite down to begging in the Bear Pit level just yet

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Paperhouse posted:

Apparently he's still on the radio somewhere so he's probably not quite down to begging in the Bear Pit level just yet

He's on Radio X here in Manchester. I've seen him a few times sat in picadilly train station looking forlorn.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Taear posted:

He's on Radio X here in Manchester. I've seen him a few times sat in picadilly train station looking forlorn.

I miss XFM and now I'm even angrier about the rebrand.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

crispix posted:

And Julian Simmons is a creepy bastard and I'm glad he won't be on my television set anymore.

What?!
Say it aint so, our Julian not on the TV?

I once heckled him on the street while driving past, one of my life's regrets.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
And Justin Lee Collins last TV spot was as 'Fred Firewheel' in Sooty: The Great Race.
Playing the bad guy to Sooty, Sweep, and Sue.

He is Little Britain's Des Kay irl.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

happyhippy posted:

What?!
Say it aint so, our Julian not on the TV?

I once heckled him on the street while driving past, one of my life's regrets.

I once almost ran him over on the Ormeau Road because he was jaywalking and wouldn't hurry himself. He did in the end.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

BizarroAzrael posted:

I miss XFM and now I'm even angrier about the rebrand.
At least women are safe from JLC during his working hours as only blokes are permitted at Radio X.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Taear posted:

I bet he plays 'Run For Your Life' by The Beatles a lot

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Black Mirror is just as cheery as ever.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

ye it's pretty good

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

First episode of Black Mirror down, basically it's that one episode of Community but with characters I care less about. Decent, not great.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
3 minutes into QI. Hot take: It's still QI

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Black Mirror ep 2, real good. Big Shadow of the Minotaur vibe but for adults. Not sure about the ending but drat the episode itself was intense.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Rarity Hot Take

Black Mirror Eps 3-5 are the best of the season.

Especially ep 3.

Oh god ep 3.

Oh god :gonk:

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

jesus loving christ, episode 3 :stonk:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Finished this week's QI: The only big acknowledgement of the change was just before General Ignorance where Alan baited Sandi into doing the 'explain a pedantic piece of minutiae like a slightly impatient nursery teacher' thing Stephen used to do and then pointed out that she's the perfect replacement because of how easily she slipped into it.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Rarity posted:

Rarity Hot Take

Black Mirror Eps 3-5 are the best of the season.

Especially ep 3.

Oh god ep 3.

Oh god :gonk:

The first two are the weakest. The 3rd might be the bleakest episode to date. 4 wasn't really black mirror but was still very good.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Looke posted:

jesus loving christ, episode 3 :stonk:

Wow, yeah, gently caress.

Brutal.

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.
My unpopular opinion: I find Black Mirror boring and didactic, and want Brooker to go back to making fun of bad TV shows.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Quasimango posted:

My unpopular opinion: I find Black Mirror boring and didactic, and want Brooker to go back to making fun of bad TV shows.

That is a bad opinion. Brooker as critic will always be secondary to Brooker writing Nathan Barley/Brass Eye/Black Mirror (which is also sdtill him as critic, but whatever)

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Hot take: I don't know what didactic means.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
preachy.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Bape Culture posted:

Hot take: I don't know what didactic means.

I was too shy to ask what it means and too lazy to look it up.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
I just read a listicle about Brooker and one of the entries is about his choice to leave his critic days behind him-

quote:

Brooker ditched his Screen Burn column in 2010 after several changes in his life meant that he was no longer happy being the public face of scorn. Opining that he wasn’t a “proper critic” he explained the ways in which his schtick was wearing him down.

“True critics are witty rather than abusive, smart rather than smart-arsed, contemplative rather than extrovert. I, on the other hand, was chiefly interested in making the reader laugh. And the quickest way to do this was to pen insults. Oh, I tried to make the odd point here and there, but the bulk of it – the stuff people actually remember – consists of playground, yah-boo stuff. I was horrible.”

Things also changed for Brooker when his career moved from print to television, often putting him in real life scenarios with those he had previously insulted.

“Once or twice I found myself in conversation with someone I'd been awful about in print, and discovered to my horror that the ruder I'd been, the warmer and more pleasant they appeared to be in the flesh,” he wrote. “A black eel of guilt writhed in my skull. Why was I so nasty?”

This self-reflection and hyper-awareness led to Brooker finally admitting to himself that he’d become one of “them” and he committed to further TV projects, while his involvement in print media decreased substantially.

http://mentalfloss.com/uk/people/47431/8-unconventional-things-about-charlie-brooker

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Quasimango posted:

Same. The Black Mirror episodes I've watched seem to mainly just be Technology Is Bad You Guys.

Except that one where the prime minister hosed a pig. That was great.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Same. The Black Mirror episodes I've watched seem to mainly just be Technology Is Bad You Guys.

But is it really bad? Hm... A tough question to be sure.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Except that one where the prime minister hosed a pig. That was great.

That was the news. :v:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Quasimango posted:

I want another Touch of Cloth.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Jesus Christ episode 3 was just amazing. I have no other content to add, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

I want another Touch of Cloth.

Same.