Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Congratulations!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Megabound posted:

Thanks! The top pen is a Kaweco Sport in fine, it's tiny when capped and a full sized pen when posted, it's my go to pocket pen now.

The other is a TWSBI Vac 700 in 1.1 Stub, here's nibs and (lovely) writing samples:

There's a good Fountain Pen thread on SA actually if you want to check it out some more, https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531265

And if you're thinking about a first pen look at the TWSBI Eco. They're really cheap, great quality nibs and have a huge ink capacity.

Hey fountain pen nerd!

I've been recommending Lamy Safari as good beginner pen. The nibs are smooth and forgiving. The pens are relatively inexpensive ($25 to $50).

My favorite is the Parker 75 Sterling Cicel set my father got me as a graduation present. When it became clear I was never going back to finish my degree, he finally gave me the set as a "wish you'd go back, but good on you getting a high paying career I guess" present. Absolutely fav pen to use, Sterling Silver with gold trim, 14K white gold fine nib. I really love how you can change the orientation of the nib in relation to the barrel so you can adjust the pen to your holding style instead of having to adjust to the pen.

On topic and related, I recently reloaded on a bunch of Mnemosyne notebooks. They've been the best notebooks for taking notes with wet ink. Very little bleed through and crisp heavy paper. I use one for brainstorming and project notes and another for meeting notes. I use ScannerPro on my phone to pull them into OneNote. Best of both worlds: I get the tactile pleasure of pen on paper note taking and organizational flexability of digitizing everything.

https://www.amazon.com/Maruman-Mnemosyne-Special-Memo-Notepad/dp/B001A1VB9M

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

flosofl posted:

Hey fountain pen nerd!

I've been recommending Lamy Safari as good beginner pen. The nibs are smooth and forgiving. The pens are relatively inexpensive ($25 to $50).

My favorite is the Parker 75 Sterling Cicelé set my father got me as a graduation present. When it became clear I was never going back to finish my degree, he finally gave me the set as a "wish you'd go back, but good on you getting a high paying career I guess" present. Absolutely fav pen to use, Sterling Silver with gold trim, 14K white gold fine nib. I really love how you can change the orientation of the nib in relation to the barrel so you can adjust the pen to your holding style instead of having to adjust to the pen.

On topic and related, I recently reloaded on a bunch of Mnemosyne notebooks. They've been the best notebooks for taking notes with wet ink. Very little bleed through and crisp heavy paper. I use one for brainstorming and project notes and another for meeting notes. I use ScannerPro on my phone to pull them into OneNote. Best of both worlds: I get the tactile pleasure of pen on paper note taking and organizational flexability of digitizing everything.

https://www.amazon.com/Maruman-Mnemosyne-Special-Memo-Notepad/dp/B001A1VB9M

I'm only new to the scene, and while I like the safari (I own an Al-Star myself) the triangular barrel can be off-putting as an introduction, then having to get a converter on top of that to get the most out of it. TWSBI are doing a second version of the Eco with a triangular grip section that I'm pretty excited about, and seeing as the Eco is already cheaper than the Safari it's going to be a real strong contender for beginners first pen. Also, demonstrators are sexy.

That Parker looks lovely, I'm holding off on getting my a gold nibbed pen until graduation and until I land my first real engineering job.

I find myself using a lot of Clairfontaine paper, but one of the benefits of being in Australia is we can get it relativity cheap by importing from Asia, on a similar note I'll be getting a Hobonichi Techno and I hear only good things about Tomoe River paper.

Fountain pens are easily the most friendly and accepting hobby I've found. There's a lot of respect and very little snobbery about using a $5 preppy, even from those who use $500 Mont Blancs, at least in my local community.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Grenco G Pro vaporizer

Trying to earn my spot on https://www.whichonevap.es

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Rip. That. COTTON!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jeherrin posted:

I recently bought an engagement ring.

Now it looks like I'll be buying a honeymoon in a year! :dance:

Congratulations! My own wedding is scheduled for 10/14/2017.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Coffee And Pie posted:

Grenco G Pro vaporizer

Trying to earn my spot on https://www.whichonevap.es

I've ordered two Vapes from them, one as a gift to a friend and one for myself. The level of bumbling incompetency involved with each order really shows that they are absolutely a company staffed entirely by super stoned dudes.

Like, they made it right in the end both time but it took without exaggeration a dozen phone calls for each order to get my poo poo shipped correctly. They also, months and months after my last order, mysteriously reship it to me a second time and never got back to me about the two messages I left them about it.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
"Dave's not here man."

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

bongwizzard posted:

I've ordered two Vapes from them, one as a gift to a friend and one for myself. The level of bumbling incompetency involved with each order really shows that they are absolutely a company staffed entirely by super stoned dudes.

Like, they made it right in the end both time but it took without exaggeration a dozen phone calls for each order to get my poo poo shipped correctly. They also, months and months after my last order, mysteriously reship it to me a second time and never got back to me about the two messages I left them about it.

ok, noted forums user "bongwizzard"

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

TotalLossBrain posted:

ok, noted forums user "bongwizzard"

Takes one to know one.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Game recognize game baby.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I bought a desk tray from a very pretentious shop because I'm loving tired of my pencil rolling off the table.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 03:30 on Oct 21, 2016

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Your stamps?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Got a DJI Phantom 3, almost new, for 3 bills.

Test flight went well. Got nice video footage. Surprised how many settings these things have that you can tweak.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I bought a fuckton of birch, some stain, matte poly, and hinges.

Made my wife a wardrobe for her 30th!

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

That's awesome. Post some pics of the finished product

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

That's awesome. Post some pics of the finished product

Can when I return home in a few days!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Yeah you don't want to make one out of flimsy materials

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrpwR2_2js&t=557s

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Every year I think "this will be the year I won't get a new phone." My phone is good enough, and my very similar Nexus 6P is my fav phone of all time, but I still did this

Google Pixel XL...

Would you mind coming back and posting a trip report after you've used it for a few weeks? I'm actually in the same position you are - I have a Nexus 6P right now and it's a fine phone, but the reviews on the Pixel XL are very enticing. I've only had my Nexus for a year but I'm wondering if it's worth the upgrade. Would really appreciate it!

edit for content:
Preordered this:

I have the X&Y edition one but it's the not-New version and I'm sick of coming back to my games after a day or two of inactivity and finding the battery completely dead :(

Solid Cake has a new favorite as of 16:20 on Oct 21, 2016

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Solid Cake posted:

Would you mind coming back and posting a trip report after you've used it for a few weeks? I'm actually in the same position you are - I have a Nexus 6P right now and it's a fine phone, but the reviews on the Pixel XL are very enticing. I've only had my Nexus for a year but I'm wondering if it's worth the upgrade. Would really appreciate it!

edit for content:
Preordered this:

I have the X&Y edition one but it's the not-New version and I'm sick of coming back to my games after a day or two of inactivity and finding the battery completely dead :(

Sure. I tried it in a store yesterday and it is a noticeable step up, I was surprised. Camera is amazing.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I'm sure they're great phones, but I can't possible imagine how there is a $500 difference in in my life between my 1 year old 5x and a Pixel.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There isn't. You're getting a much better camera and the assistant stuff but I don't personally care about those.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Also it's not a $500 difference. It's not like they're going to refund your current phone when you buy the new one.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Josh Lyman posted:

Everyone knows you only buy David.

WRONG! Giants. Get it right next time, bub.

Bought this for me until I get my ham radio license. I want to listen in on the channels and maybe buy a better radio later on.

and a fancy new whip antenna for it

also a SDR to play around with

and something cool for my sister

I heart bacon has a new favorite as of 01:23 on Oct 22, 2016

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Three-for-one sale. Time for a change and it never hurts to have spares. :toot:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

And now the house (and a couple random fence planks) is clean!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Inspector 34 posted:

Also it's not a $500 difference. It's not like they're going to refund your current phone when you buy the new one.

pro tip: you can sell your old phone. My old phone is worth $400 used.

Also what is "worth" $500 is different to different people.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

They tasted pretty much exactly like I expected them to

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Stop getting rain on mah grill

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Dewgy posted:

Three-for-one sale. Time for a change and it never hurts to have spares. :toot:

Ooh, where? Mine are about due for a change

Which, speaking of guitar stuff, I just bought a Starrett 467 feeler gauge to double check the depth of my truss rod adjustments:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Feeler gauges are one of the most useful tools. If you have a file you can also turn them into pretty good files for your nut too.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

OSU_Matthew posted:

Ooh, where? Mine are about due for a change

Which, speaking of guitar stuff, I just bought a Starrett 467 feeler gauge to double check the depth of my truss rod adjustments:

Strings by Aurora

Sale's over but they do B1G1 offers all the time, kinda pricy otherwise. The B1G2 was a special for pink strings only during the last sale. How this helps breast cancer awareness I have no idea, but hey, more strings!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I got drunk and bought a Pez dispenser yesterday.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I bought my third loving Bodun French Press because I dropped another one and broke it goddamnit.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

PCOS Bill posted:

I bought my third loving Bodun French Press because I dropped another one and broke it goddamnit.

I kept doing that and I eventually bought an all metal one from Starbucks. It's ugly but I don't have to fear dropping it or handing it too roughly while cleaning it.

Right here.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

PCOS Bill posted:

That's what you get for using a French press like some sorta QUEER :fsmug:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Of all the people I expected to own a Freedom Press... or are those thumbscrews?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

PCOS Bill posted:

At my house we use a freedom press.

efb of course.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Buy a stainless double wall one. Bodum makes one. I've had it for years. No drop and break.

Bodum Columbia Four 6 Oz Cups Stainless Steel Thermal Vacuum Coffee Press, 0.5 l, 17-Ounce https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002AJ9JII/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_FE9cyb6262T26

There are a bunch of cheaper ones too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online
I bought a second full-sized bed so my roommate and I don't have to keep taking turns sleeping on the couch. It will be nice to finally get a consistent full night's sleep. Con: My bedroom is probably a fire hazard.