Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin

COOL CORN posted:

I have so many questions. Are non-LA Masons welcome? Or maybe non-LA Scottish Rite Masons?

If I ever make it out to NOLA I might try to catch a degree.

Absolutely. We encourage visitors to witness our degrees. My Lodge has a travelling degree team that has been all over the country doing exemplifications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

COOL CORN posted:

I have so many questions. Are non-LA Masons welcome? Or maybe non-LA Scottish Rite Masons?

If I ever make it out to NOLA I might try to catch a degree.

With very few exceptions a Master Mason can visit any lodge being held in that degree or below, and generally just in case most grand lodges will offer a traveling papers as a letter of introduction to give to the Tyler, who after challenging appropriately will let one in. For example I've sat in lodge in Ireland for a first degree which is radically different from the US, and enjoyed it. The signs, words, and tokens are also all different, but they're aware enough of other masonry that they accepted.

UGLE is the only lodge I know of that is strictly by invitation and there are understandable reasons for that.

So you should be able to visit a lodge in LA is what I'm saying.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Well, if I'm ever in the states I know what's on my list of places to go and things to see.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
Visiting a Red Lodge is high on my list, after hearing about a character in their 1st degree called "The Terrible Brother."

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of the reds, being installed MEZ tomorrow. To say I'm nervous is an understatement, but the soon to be IPZ is a good man -

My dad.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Freemasonry is the only place where you can be glad your brother is also your dad.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

Keetron posted:

Freemasonry is the only place where you can be glad your brother is also your dad.

And not feel weird when a room of full guys stare at you holding hands.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Half naked, even

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Colonial Air Force posted:

Half naked, even

Half!?

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
Brothers, I'm in a sad state right now.

The WM of my Lodge was suspended indefinitely by the GM earlier this year. I don't want to go into too much detail as to the circumstances surrounding the suspension. I believe that the WM made a mistake, but that it wasn't worthy of suspension. At the very least, there should have been an explicit warning that he would be suspended if the circumstances were to continue.

This suspension has left utter chaos in its wake. There are those who believe that the WM made no mistake at all and the GM is simply being a bully. There are those who think that the WM is lucky he didn't get expelled instead of merely suspended. People are angry, and oddly irrational.

There are shockingly few people who believe as I do: that the WM made an honest mistake, that the suspension was far too reactionary, and that both sides should shake hands, forget the whole thing, and walk away Brothers (with the suspension lifted). At this point, the GM and WM don't seem to want to talk to each other in a neutral fashion, and there are, I swear, battle lines forming. The GM is threatening to take our charter if we don't collectively simmer down, and the Brethren in this area are seriously talking about putting together a petition threatening demits if the WM isn't reinstated. I'm so keenly disappointed in my Brothers right now, it hurts. It feels like they're more interested in being right than in being Brothers.

I've tried talking sense into folks on both "sides" of the issue, to no avail. I have no desire to watch as my Brothers fight each other on something so tremendously silly. I'm starting to feel like the best option for me right now is to demit from everything and walk away. Which would be fine, except that I'm one of the officers of the Lodge, and without putting too fine a point on it, my sudden departure will likely be devastating to the officer lineup. At what point does my need for inner peace outweigh my responsibility to the Lodge?

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

runupon cracker posted:

The WM of my Lodge was suspended indefinitely by the GM earlier this year. I don't want to go into too much detail as to the circumstances surrounding the suspension. I believe that the WM made a mistake, but that it wasn't worthy of suspension. At the very least, there should have been an explicit warning that he would be suspended if the circumstances were to continue.

This suspension has left utter chaos in its wake. There are those who believe that the WM made no mistake at all and the GM is simply being a bully. There are those who think that the WM is lucky he didn't get expelled instead of merely suspended. People are angry, and oddly irrational.

There are shockingly few people who believe as I do: that the WM made an honest mistake, that the suspension was far too reactionary, and that both sides should shake hands, forget the whole thing, and walk away Brothers (with the suspension lifted). At this point, the GM and WM don't seem to want to talk to each other in a neutral fashion, and there are, I swear, battle lines forming. The GM is threatening to take our charter if we don't collectively simmer down, and the Brethren in this area are seriously talking about putting together a petition threatening demits if the WM isn't reinstated. I'm so keenly disappointed in my Brothers right now, it hurts. It feels like they're more interested in being right than in being Brothers.

I've tried talking sense into folks on both "sides" of the issue, to no avail. I have no desire to watch as my Brothers fight each other on something so tremendously silly. I'm starting to feel like the best option for me right now is to demit from everything and walk away. Which would be fine, except that I'm one of the officers of the Lodge, and without putting too fine a point on it, my sudden departure will likely be devastating to the officer lineup. At what point does my need for inner peace outweigh my responsibility to the Lodge?

That's quite a situation indeed, my Brother. You are, naturally, doing the right thing by trying to whisper good advice in the ears of your Brethren.

To skip to the end and answer your last question, I find that, when working as intended, our practice should be a path to inner peace. If it's not working as intended, you must ask yourself if you're in a position within the Lodge whereby you can help guide it back, as you seem to be trying to do. If you feel you cannot, you may be better off demitting until things are resolved, seeking another lodge, or simply taking a break.

Masonry should never be a source of disharmony in our lives. If it is, it betrays the intent of everything we do.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

runupon cracker posted:

I've tried talking sense into folks on both "sides" of the issue, to no avail.

Have you tried talking about restoring harmony instead of "talking sense into" people? It sounds like the there's an issue that will never be reconciled to everybody's satisfaction. Sometimes the best thing is to move past the divisive issue and concentrate on something better.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
I've been through similar situations, and I feel for you... It's a mess. In one of the cases, the GM ordered a number of brothers from both sides to a special meeting. He gave both sides time to speak. and air their grievances, and then banged his gavel, and declared discussion closed. He then gave a ruling that was a slight revision of his earlier ruling, but it was enough to largely clear the air. I don't know if such a thing is possible in your situation, but it might be worth a try.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Cholmondeley posted:

I've been through similar situations, and I feel for you... It's a mess. In one of the cases, the GM ordered a number of brothers from both sides to a special meeting. He gave both sides time to speak. and air their grievances, and then banged his gavel, and declared discussion closed. He then gave a ruling that was a slight revision of his earlier ruling, but it was enough to largely clear the air. I don't know if such a thing is possible in your situation, but it might be worth a try.

Your GM is a wise man.
We had issues a while back when the temple we share with about 10 lodges and appendant bodies was in dire need of repair. Or when the GL had to move to another residence. Both these were well handled by our GM and recently when I talked to his son he asked me to call his old man and air my appreciation as it had been a hard time with few thank yous.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Thanks, Brothers. I've been advocating harmony for some time now, it just hasn't been terribly effective.

Tinestram fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Oct 14, 2016

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
What's the best masonic movie that isn't The Man Who Would Be King?

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Groundhog Day

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
The completely historically accurate documentary National Treasure.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Animal-Mother posted:

What's the best masonic movie that isn't The Man Who Would Be King?

Mean Girls

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

boing...boing...boing...boing...
Caddyshack.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I came in expecting Eyes Wide Shut. I left with Weekend at Bernies.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Loomer posted:

I came in expecting Eyes Wide Shut. I left with Weekend at Bernies.

I'm going to try to slip this quote into our next Trestleboard, it's too perfect

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
well, i'm feeling good. I have about 30 percent of my EA Q&A memorized, and I can read about 80% of the total book. The only thing I can't translate is the obligation and a few other passages.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Our DoC, a former GDoC and GDIW and our premiere ritualist, took me aside last night to compliment my delivery of some charges and told me I'm going to be an excellent ritualist before long if I keep it up. I'm proud enough that I had to share.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Loomer posted:

Our DoC, a former GDoC and GDIW and our premiere ritualist, took me aside last night to compliment my delivery of some charges and told me I'm going to be an excellent ritualist before long if I keep it up. I'm proud enough that I had to share.

That's awesome, Brother! I'm sure he's right.

While we're sharing good news, I'm also proud to say that the SW took me aside last night to say that I'm going to be a Steward this year, thus beginning my ascent through the chairs.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Congratulations, ODC. I wish you much luck in it. There's a lot of work in each office, but the understanding of masonry only deepens with each chair - or it should, anyway, if you're paying attention. The #1 piece of advice I've got and I've been given is don't try and rush through the chairs. Due to my lodge's circumstances, I more or less had to act as inner guard and tyler at the same time without being a steward first, skipping an actual year for both IG/OG for six months combined to go in as a deacon (I'm still our defacto tyler for pre-lodge prep, to boot) and you really benefit from them. Tyler, as strange a first post after steward as it may seem (what with it somewhat being a 'now get the hell out of the temple' office...), is actually an amazing position. You become the first sight every mason who visits your lodge sees, the first contact and the inviting hand of fellowship, and the steady hand that calms any new brethren on the night of their initiation, passing, and raisings.

If they give you a choice between IG and OG after your term as steward, go for OG, especially if there are still brethren you haven't met properly or don't know by name. It adds a year to getting in the chair, but the experience is invaluable, and it carries with it a dignity not found in any other Lodge office, including master. To be the man entrusted with the regalia, the charter, the work of setting out and preparing the lodge room, and the privilege of being both the security of the lodge against cowans and the warm giver of proper receipt of a guest is an incredible experience I would gladly return to in an instant. No brother should enter the lodge without shaking the hand and being personally greeted by the Tyler, whether of it or a visitor. I know many lodges assign it to past masters as a sinecure, but my first WM set my way of thinking that it should be the first office held by a master mason (especially a new one to the region or the lodge) because of its dignity, its sociability, and its importance, as well as the symbolism involved.

On a side note, I wonder how new side degrees get recognized as legitimate. I've got the idea for one rattling around in my noggin' built around King Solomon and the important role of justice and equity in applying moral virtue and in our obedience to the law of the land (especially where the law of the land is disagreeable but not abominable to masonic principles), but it'd be a shame to be labelled irregular or clandestine if I create it and start working it with other master masons.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Loomer posted:

Congratulations, ODC. I wish you much luck in it. There's a lot of work in each office, but the understanding of masonry only deepens with each chair - or it should, anyway, if you're paying attention. The #1 piece of advice I've got and I've been given is don't try and rush through the chairs. Due to my lodge's circumstances, I more or less had to act as inner guard and tyler at the same time without being a steward first, skipping an actual year for both IG/OG for six months combined to go in as a deacon (I'm still our defacto tyler for pre-lodge prep, to boot) and you really benefit from them. Tyler, as strange a first post after steward as it may seem (what with it somewhat being a 'now get the hell out of the temple' office...), is actually an amazing position. You become the first sight every mason who visits your lodge sees, the first contact and the inviting hand of fellowship, and the steady hand that calms any new brethren on the night of their initiation, passing, and raisings.

If they give you a choice between IG and OG after your term as steward, go for OG, especially if there are still brethren you haven't met properly or don't know by name. It adds a year to getting in the chair, but the experience is invaluable, and it carries with it a dignity not found in any other Lodge office, including master. To be the man entrusted with the regalia, the charter, the work of setting out and preparing the lodge room, and the privilege of being both the security of the lodge against cowans and the warm giver of proper receipt of a guest is an incredible experience I would gladly return to in an instant. No brother should enter the lodge without shaking the hand and being personally greeted by the Tyler, whether of it or a visitor. I know many lodges assign it to past masters as a sinecure, but my first WM set my way of thinking that it should be the first office held by a master mason (especially a new one to the region or the lodge) because of its dignity, its sociability, and its importance, as well as the symbolism involved.

On a side note, I wonder how new side degrees get recognized as legitimate. I've got the idea for one rattling around in my noggin' built around King Solomon and the important role of justice and equity in applying moral virtue and in our obedience to the law of the land (especially where the law of the land is disagreeable but not abominable to masonic principles), but it'd be a shame to be labelled irregular or clandestine if I create it and start working it with other master masons.

Thanks for the advice, Loomer! I think there might be a bit of difference between our lodges, though, as in our jurisdiction we don't have IG or OG, and we have a dedicated Tyler. Our progression usually goes from Stewards to JD to SD, and then up through the Wardens. It's implied that, during your year in each chair, you should be learning and perfecting the ritual for the chair you can be in next year.

It's not purely progressive chairs, it's essentially designed so that, if someone doesn't want to or cannot move up, they can keep their chair if no one wants to move into it, or give it up to the person who has worked for it, and wants to advance.

We're a small lodge, though, and only recently have we picked up in membership, so there was a large period of time before I came in where officers were sitting in the same chairs for years. Even now, we still only have about 10-20 Brethren in attendance of our regular meetings, including officers.

Dirigibleful
Mar 29, 2014

I've got my initiation tomorrow night. Very nervous but excited!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

I may be 7 years late, but where is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNM2tV3PA_8
And can someone tell me about the ties we seem to have with these guys? You know what the common channels are to reach me if you wish this information to remain between us :mason:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm playing the first principal officer tonight in the third degree and I have a lot of speaking and I just learned all my parts last night and ahhhhhhhhh I'm gonna gently caress it up

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dirigibleful posted:

Good luck! Just remember, they're doing it for you. Try and take in what you can, but don't sweat it if you can't remember anything or the night is just a bit of a haze.

COOL CORN posted:

I'm playing the first principal officer tonight in the third degree and I have a lot of speaking and I just learned all my parts last night and ahhhhhhhhh I'm gonna gently caress it up

Do your best, that is all anyone can ever ask for and the most you can give. Masonry is not something to rush, to fret over or to panic over. You go in to that meeting and you do your drat best from the moment you enter to the moment the lodge closes.

Then, if you made a whoopsie? So what? Take it as a learning experience. Focus on what you were short on, make up for it next time. If you don't make a whoopsie? Even better.

What I'm saying (poorly) is - don't worry. In the many years the fraternity has existed, many men have been in your position. You'll do fine.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Dirigibleful posted:

Congratulations. I had mine a few weeks ago and I was very pleased. What state are you in?

A few tips if i may

Don't drink alcohol. you want to be sober for this. After you can drink if it pleases you.
Before it begins you will be taken somewhere to wait. Take that time if at all possible to calm your mind.
Don't feel bad if you miss a lot of stuff or you feel overwhelmed. Apparently everyone feels that way, and if you retain 20% of what happened you are doing good.
That being said, pay attention to the part where the WM will tell you to pay attention, as you will be expected to know this stuff before you get your 2nd degree.

Drink it up and enjoy it.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Greetings Mason Goons!

So I've been invited to apply for my local lodge and have an uncle and a few coworkers vetting me as my references and petition signers. In the meantime, I was curious to know if a tattoo of mine would cause any issues.
See, I have a circumpunct (dotted circle) tattooed on the 1st knuckle of each index finger. Understanding that I've applied to a group that places great import and significance into symbols- would this, in your opinions- cause any issues?

Other than that, I'm in Nebraska and it seems that the Scottish Rite and Blue Lodges near me are heavily active. I'm excited and honored to have been invited for the consideration- what can I do to better prepare for the next couple of steps? I've read the OP, but avoided most of the rest of the thread out of respect really. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 21, 2016

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Immanentized posted:

Greetings Mason Goons!

So I've been invited to apply for my local lodge and have an uncle and a few coworkers vetting me as my references and petition signers. In the meantime, I was curious to know if a tattoo of mine would cause any issues.
See, I have a circumpunct (dotted circle) tattooed on the 1st knuckle of each index finger. Understanding that I've applied to a group that places great import and significance into symbols- would this, in your opinions- cause any issues?

Other than that, I'm in Nebraska and it seems that the Scottish Rite and Blue Lodges near me are heavily active. I'm excited and honored to have been invited for the consideration- what can I do to better prepare for the next couple of steps? I've read the OP, but avoided most of the rest of the thread out of respect really. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Tattoo? Nah. Look up Roni Zulu, he's an accomplished tattooist and mason. The internal - not external - qualities are what we look for. I mean sure if you had a big tattoo that said gently caress GOD on your forehead then someone might raise a question of concern but a circle on your fingers? Nah.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Those tattoos will be fine in ways you don't even know right now.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
So I guess I did a good job as principal fellow craft. We had a great time tonight and raised two guys :) some funny stories from tonight, but nothing I can mention here.

Immanentized posted:

See, I have a circumpunct (dotted circle) tattooed on the 1st knuckle of each index finger.

You have no idea how perfect this is

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Dirigibleful posted:

Congratulations, soon-to-be-brother!

Immanentized posted:

Greetings Mason Goons!

My only concern about your tattoo is whether you're going to make a minor alteration to it after you join. I can say no more. (Let us know if you decide to, though.)

Dirigibleful
Mar 29, 2014

Innerguard posted:

Good luck! Just remember, they're doing it for you. Try and take in what you can, but don't sweat it if you can't remember anything or the night is just a bit of a haze.

Do your best, that is all anyone can ever ask for and the most you can give. Masonry is not something to rush, to fret over or to panic over. You go in to that meeting and you do your drat best from the moment you enter to the moment the lodge closes.

Then, if you made a whoopsie? So what? Take it as a learning experience. Focus on what you were short on, make up for it next time. If you don't make a whoopsie? Even better.

What I'm saying (poorly) is - don't worry. In the many years the fraternity has existed, many men have been in your position. You'll do fine.

Cimber posted:

Congratulations. I had mine a few weeks ago and I was very pleased. What state are you in?

A few tips if i may

Don't drink alcohol. you want to be sober for this. After you can drink if it pleases you.
Before it begins you will be taken somewhere to wait. Take that time if at all possible to calm your mind.
Don't feel bad if you miss a lot of stuff or you feel overwhelmed. Apparently everyone feels that way, and if you retain 20% of what happened you are doing good.
That being said, pay attention to the part where the WM will tell you to pay attention, as you will be expected to know this stuff before you get your 2nd degree.

Drink it up and enjoy it.

Loomer posted:

Congratulations, soon-to-be-brother!

My only concern about your tattoo is whether you're going to make a minor alteration to it after you join. I can say no more. (Let us know if you decide to, though.)

Thank you for your kind words guys!

I'm in England, and as far as I can tell drinking afterward is almost a requirement :cheers:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I just passed my catechism for the first degree tonight, scheduled the second degree for later this month.

I vaguely recall hearing that the catechism for the third degree is kind of "optional" in that you can go on and start attending meetings without having to do the catechism portion first. I figure if you're going to do this whole thing you might as well do it right (plus the necessity of doing the third degree catechism to be WM later on?) so that's not an issue, just wondering when I can stop getting kicked out after dinner :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Sheep posted:

I just passed my catechism for the first degree tonight, scheduled the second degree for later this month.

I vaguely recall hearing that the catechism for the third degree is kind of "optional" in that you can go on and start attending meetings without having to do the catechism portion first. I figure if you're going to do this whole thing you might as well do it right (plus the necessity of doing the third degree catechism to be WM later on?) so that's not an issue, just wondering when I can stop getting kicked out after dinner :v:

Congrats.

It depends on jurisdiction but in mine, you need to do the proficiency (what we call catechism) if you want to hold office. It's also a good idea to do if you plan to visit other lodges.

If neither of things apply to you, you can not bother with the MM catechism.

That said - your point is a good one :). Why go to all this trouble and not learn it all. Never mind the self improvement stuff yada yada :words: