Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

It's apparently a slight step-up from the Wii U. Though those specs might be BS.

I just assumed, but then people started airing concerns about parity with PS4 which, come on, it's not going to be at that level. I mean the launch games include Zelda (Wii u game) and skyrim.

Excited though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah, who the gently caress actually plays indie games on Nintendo consoles? It's got to be the least convenient conceivable way...

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

If this thing has 256 Pascal cores that puts it at about 600-700 GFLOPS, which is roughly equivalent to a midrange desktop GPU from 5 or 6 years ago. You aren't going to be playing modern AAA games with 9-figure budgets on it, at least not at anything above the equivalent of low settings.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

It comes out apparently in about 5 months, it won't be changing design massively from here on

The performance of the tablet out of the dock including heat and battery power are pretty key. It must just underclock itself when out of the dock basically

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Bleck posted:

Capcom's gonna hate not being able to use the same PS2-era models in Monster Hunter.

I'm sure they'll find a way to keep that engine's corpse moving

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Inacio posted:

If those 3rd parties really mean something, we have Epic and Unity on board. Considering Unity supported the loving 3DS, it's not a stretch to think that they'll support the NS. Unity support = fuckloads of indies

This is true! Unity support is always a good sign for indies.

Speaking of design stuff: why did they put the right stick under the face buttons? I liked the wii u configuration better. I guess I'll have to see how it feels in motion.
Also, when you hold the remote sideways, is it feasible to use the shoulder buttons...? It looks like if you put the analog stick on the left, you end up with the bumpers and triggers on the underside of the remote, which seems unwieldy. That means the sideways-remote option would offer less input methods than an SNES controller, which means I can't see too many perople playing that way. Who knows!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Steve2911 posted:

Yeah, who the gently caress actually plays indie games on Nintendo consoles? It's got to be the least convenient conceivable way...

I do for platformers at least. It's nice to be able to play them with a not poo poo dpad.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Wait so there is a Joy Con L and a Joy Con R? This will be very difficult for Japanese people.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Bleck posted:

Capcom's gonna hate not being able to use the same PS2-era models in Monster Hunter.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Inacio posted:

If those 3rd parties really mean something, we have Epic and Unity on board. Considering Unity supported the loving 3DS, it's not a stretch to think that they'll support the NS. Unity support = fuckloads of indies

I'm curious as to what the "NVN" API is. If it's their codename for Vulkan with NX specific extensions, great. If it's another not-invented-here graphics API it's just going to give people who aren't Epic or Unity headaches.

Nintendo has actually relaxed their requirements to become a developer quite a bit. No more "The equipment must be behind at least 3 locking doors" requirements, just sign up and have a few thousand dollars for a dev kit. It would be nice if they adopted a iOS/Android development model for the Switch where you just sign up, grab the SDK and your console becomes a development platform.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 21, 2016

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

LethalGeek posted:

We are long past the days that every game needs to have AAA time spend on graphics long as it looks fine, so stop stressing such things.

Not stressing, just remembering how Nintendo said their own Wii U development cycle was really set back because they underestimated the work it would take to develop HD assets.

I'm thinking about like Fire Emblem and SMT and other series that have been coasting on looking like rear end on the 3ds.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Steve2911 posted:

that rental spaceship game on wii u was fukken dope

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Y'all realize that that version of Skyrim is the remake right

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Wait so there is a Joy Con L and a Joy Con R? This will be very difficult for Japanese people.
This may come as a surprise to you, but pronouncing the letters "L" and "R" is different from actually saying the sounds they make

ジョイコン・エルとジョインコン・アー

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Steve2911 posted:

Affordable Space Adventures required the Wii U's hardware to even be playable. Plenty of concepts are only really "possible" on hardware like the 3DS and Wii U.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

How feasible is it for Nintendo to emulate Wii U games on Switch a la 360 games on X1?

It would be easier to just port the small handful of Wii U titles people care about vs trying to emulate them on the equivalent of a tablet.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

The_Franz posted:

It would be easier to just port the small handful of Wii U titles people care about vs trying to emulate them on the equivalent of a tablet.

My dream situation would be that they give people who bought MK8/Splatoon on the Wii U a free "upgrade" to the Switch equivalents, if they buy a switch. Seems like a really good way to encourage their install base to shift consoles, without making them feel like they're paying for what will probably be a game very similar to one they already own.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

youcallthatatwist posted:

My dream situation would be that they give people who bought MK8/Splatoon on the Wii U a free "upgrade" to the Switch equivalents, if they buy a switch. Seems like a really good way to encourage their install base to shift consoles, without making them feel like they're paying for what will probably be a game very similar to one they already own.

It's like people have some sort of alternate Nintendo in their heads that doesn't charge for the same game over and over.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Lmao my man they make you pay again to upgrade 30 year old ROMs that you've already bought, they're not going to give away killer apps that are guaranteed to sell.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Soul Glo posted:

Y'all realize that that version of Skyrim is the remake right
I would assume so, but that's not confirmed. Regardless even the remake is only 12GB on PC. Putting it on a game card is no big deal.

The_Franz posted:

If this thing has 256 Pascal cores that puts it at about 600-700 GFLOPS, which is roughly equivalent to a midrange desktop GPU from 5 or 6 years ago. You aren't going to be playing modern AAA games with 9-figure budgets on it, at least not at anything above the equivalent of low settings.
Portability is more than an acceptable trade off for that, I think, and it's still twice as powerful as Wii U. Only unreasonable people were expecting something PS4 level on a hybrid device.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Speaking of design stuff: why did they put the right stick under the face buttons? I liked the wii u configuration better. I guess I'll have to see how it feels in motion.
Also, when you hold the remote sideways, is it feasible to use the shoulder buttons...? It looks like if you put the analog stick on the left, you end up with the bumpers and triggers on the underside of the remote, which seems unwieldy. That means the sideways-remote option would offer less input methods than an SNES controller, which means I can't see too many perople playing that way. Who knows!

Because when you hold either Joy-Con on the side it'll end up with the stick on the left and four buttons on the right.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

This may come as a surprise to you, but pronouncing the letters "L" and "R" is different from actually saying the sounds they make

ジョイコン・エルとジョインコン・アー

Nihingo de hanashimaska?

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Next Direct had better be referencing Voltron or mecha multi-part combination scenes at least once.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Chaltab posted:

I would assume so, but that's not confirmed. Regardless even the remake is only 12GB on PC. Putting it on a game card is no big deal.

Didn't say it was, people talking about it like it's the old rear end ugly version and who cares that the Switch is powerful enough to run it.

It is, in fact, cool and good that the Switch is running current third party games like the new Skyrim.

EA being shown off so prominently in the reveal trailer is nice too. People might actually be able to buy one console and get both Nintendo games and multiplatform games most people care about.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Utnayan posted:

Nihingo de hanashimaska?
:hai:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

The_Franz posted:

I'm curious as to what the "NVN" API is. If it's their codename for Vulkan with NX specific extensions, great. If it's another not-invented-here graphics API it's just going to give people who aren't Epic or Unity headaches.

Nintendo has actually relaxed their requirements to become a developer quite a bit. No more "The equipment must be behind at least 3 locking doors" requirements, just sign up and have a few thousand dollars for a dev kit. It would be nice if they adopted a iOS/Android development model for the Switch where you just sign up, grab the SDK and your console becomes a development platform.

Yeah, no loving clue why they didn't just go with Vulkan. Would lower the entry barrier considerably, but then again:
• AAAs don't really need a super commonplace, well documented API
• Indies can just go with Unity/UE4

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

The right controller has the thumb stick above the buttons so it can be used as a stand alone controller, and look identical to the left one when it is sideways. I believe the shoulder buttons are part of the controller dock and battery pack.. whatever it is called.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i have a hunch that the joycons don't rumble on their own without being voltroned together to the joycon controller module.

Tender Bender posted:

I wonder if there's gonna be some backlash or other impact from devs that have mainly stuck to handhelds thus far. I imagine it's a much steeper manpower investment to make a game that looks acceptable in HD than to put out something that's acceptable on the 3ds.

making games look terrible on modern hardware is not something japanese devs seem to care that much about. low budget japanese ps4 games that are ugly obvious vita ports abound

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
This is somewhat unrelated but what about that Nintendo thing people were talking about maybe 6-8 months ago (Nintendo Club or something) ? Maybe I'm mis-remembering, but wasn't Nintendo creating a sort of online library containing all their classics/past games? Does that thing exist or is it a figment of my imagination? And if so, is it reasonable to expect the Switch to be able to use it?

It would be a pity to lose the 6-7 good Wii-U exclusives forever by the way, especially because this new console is basically a Wii-3DS. A WiiDS. A Glitch.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

The_Franz posted:

Nintendo works under a different strategy. They want third party titles to say they have them, but they want to give their own the most attention so their IPs will continue to be superior and make money.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Jay-V posted:

Is there any indication that this isn't the similar to the Wii U graphics performance-wise? Like, the same step up that the Wii U was to the Wii?
A step up that big would put Switch ahead of Scorpio! The gap between this gen and last is a lot smaller between last gen and sixth or between Wii and Wii U.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Kawabata posted:

This is somewhat unrelated but what about that Nintendo thing people were talking about maybe 6-8 months ago (Nintendo Club or something) ? Maybe I'm mis-remembering, but wasn't Nintendo creating a sort of online library containing all their classics/past games? Does that thing exist or is it a figment of my imagination? And if so, is it reasonable to expect the Switch to be able to use it?

It would be a pity to lose the 6-7 good Wii-U exclusives forever by the way, especially because this new console is basically a Wii-3DS. A WiiDS. A Glitch.

I want whatever it is that you are describing. If I can play all my old favorite nintendo games as virtual console or whatever on the go, I'm down for Nintendo Switch.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016

The position of the joystick on each joycon is prob so that the layout is (basically) the same no matter which one you use. If you always play Mariokart 9 with joycon R, you can use joycon L without having to adjust to a different button configuration

e: oops, beaten by LP0 on fire

coffeecup fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 21, 2016

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Can you lay it down flat and pull it in and out of the dock with no issues? God that sounds so dirty.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Chaltab posted:

A step up that big would put Switch ahead of Scorpio! The gap between this gen and last is a lot smaller between last gen and sixth or between Wii and Wii U.

yeah i think nintendo feels the wii u was more than powerful enough for what they wanted to do with it.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Cartoon Man posted:

Can you lay it down flat and pull it in and out of the dock with no issues? God that sounds so dirty.

It would be nice to have the option, but for what they demonstrated by pulling out the tablet with the controllers after you slide them in, I don't think it is likely.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cartoon Man posted:

probably but if any little umph is required as it clicks into place to get the connection, you're gonna have an easier time upright probably or else it will slide the dock around i guess?

nintendo games really will run on a toaster now.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

yeah i think nintendo feels the wii u was more than powerful enough for what they wanted to do with it.
Well I think they felt that way until Breath of the Wild. It's clear the new Zelda is pushing the Wii U to its limits.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Tender Bender posted:

Lmao my man they make you pay again to upgrade 30 year old ROMs that you've already bought, they're not going to give away killer apps that are guaranteed to sell.

Hence "Dream Situation". :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Chaltab posted:

Well I think they felt that way until Breath of the Wild. It's clear the new Zelda is pushing the Wii U to its limits.

is it? its not

• Locked thread