Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Air Midwest Flight 5481 only had a COG shifted aft by 5%, but that was enough to stall and crash the plane, killing everyone on board and one on the ground, when combined with incorrectly adjusted elevator cables.

That's the thing about air accidents, they are usually a combination of factors. So, you don't knowingly make the situation even slightly worse to avoid damage that poses minimal risk to passengers because that increases the likelihood that some other edge case will bite you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

vessbot posted:

I don't see what rear engines have to do with CG sensitivity. Of course the CG is further back relative to the fuselage, but in the end the CG is where the CG is, and the main gear and wing are placed accordingly.

I guess it would actually make a difference if there's a CG shift late in the design process of a plane, once the major structural components are in place and moving them would be too much trouble; then hodge podge solutions are enacted instead. Like the wing sweep of the DC-3. There's no aerodynamic reason for it on a 200 knot piston plane. The CG was too far back (I dunno if they made the fuselage longer, or simply mis-estimated where it would originally be, or what) and instead of moving the wing root back to match the CG, which would take too much redesign, they kept it where it is and swept the wing instead.

I suppose what I mean is moment of inertia (I think that's the right term) is much more sensitive with all the mass hanging so far from the center of gravity, to the point of a 50kg person walking to the back of the cabin is enough to start the plane rotating. You don't have that risk with aircraft with engines under the wings. The envelope there is much greater due to the mass being centralized.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

vessbot posted:

You're still not getting it. The crux of this issue has nothing to do with the feasibility of moving the CG aft of the limit. Not with how easy it is to convince the pax to cram in the tail, not with whether they can physically fit back there, not with whether fitting them all there will move the CG enough, not any of that.

I think you're all ignoring that he's actually advocating that the passengers, in an emergency landing, to remove their seatbelts, and cram into the back of the plane, possible without proper seating or safety equipment.

Great! You saved the props, but all your passengers have horrifying injuries that could have been prevented by being in their seat.

Edit:
drat Sullenburger! If only he was more concerned with keeping water out of the cabin! Ruined a perfectly good airframe!
If he'd have gotten rid of all the passengers dead weight, he could have made it to Teterboro or even back to La Guardia! :bahgawd:

xergm fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 20, 2016

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

xergm posted:

Edit:
drat Sullenburger! If only he was more concerned with keeping water out of the cabin! Ruined a perfectly good airframe!
If he'd have gotten rid of all the passengers dead weight, he could have made it to Teterboro or even back to La Guardia! :bahgawd:

If he just got all the passengers to jump in the air at once, think of how much longer the plane could have glided!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Safety Dance posted:

If he just got all the passengers to jump in the air at once, think of how much longer the plane could have glided!

Same reason why planes carrying cargoes of live birds never crash!

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

xergm posted:

I'm not actually sure it would have glided any further, just slower. Less stored energy if there are no passengers.

In gliders we often carry up to 200 liters of water ballast, especially during competition flights. The theory is that the plane will glide the same distance, but you can glide at faster speed.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Saukkis posted:

I'm not actually sure it would have glided any further, just slower. Less stored energy if there are no passengers.

In gliders we often carry up to 200 liters of water ballast, especially during competition flights. The theory is that the plane will glide the same distance, but you can glide at faster speed.

It's a tradeoff of glide speed (and potentially losing less energy to turbulence and stuff) versus ability to climb in a thermal, no?

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
Ignoring kinetic energy, the optimum glide angle of any given design is unaffected by weight.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

TheFluff posted:

In RC aircraft modelling the saying goes "a nose heavy plane flies poorly, a tail heavy one flies once".

I've flown a lot of tail heavy r/c planes. It's.. exciting. More importantly, I"ve landed them, successfully.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

This is your yearly reminder to always dip your tanks if there's any doubt how much fuel you have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z3gkq_gWL4

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
I'm pretty sure the deer's CG has been adjusted:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

:eek: I am surprised there isn't a huge pool of blood on the ground though even if it died almost instantly.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

There's a spray of blood on the right wing. I think that the plane hit the deer somewhere else, and they dragged the halves over to it for the picture.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I suspect the huge blood stain is about 30 feet back. Still, :stare:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Speaking of Sully, Major Kong did a pretty decent take on the ditching: http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/10/14/1577211/-The-A320-and-the-Hudson

"The Captain and F/O famously checked the plane to make sure everybody got out. Something us box-haulers don’t have to worry about. If I go back there it’s because I’m looking for any boxes labeled 'ACME Inflatable Boat Company.'"

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Oct 21, 2016

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Speaking of Sully, Major Kong did a pretty decent take on the ditching: http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/10/14/1577211/-The-A320-and-the-Hudson

"The Captain and F/O famously checked the plane to make sure everybody got out. Something us box-haulers don’t have to worry about. If I go back there it’s because I’m looking for any boxes labeled 'ACME Inflatable Boat Company.'"

:lol: the first item on the dual engine-out checklist is "LAND ASAP".

Somebody else beat me to asking about the dual-engine-out procedure for the BUFF -- Kong's answer was "wake me up if we lose a couple more."

Now I'm wondering if the B-52 has an option to eject the backseaters independently of the pilots (or is it every man for himself, and they all leave when the pilot gives the order/they decide not to ride it in with the pilot)?

Pretty sure some fighters have the latter setup -- the pilot has a switch with the option of "both seats' ejection handles fire both seats" or "GIB can only fire his own, but pilot's fires both," both with their advantages: the first, either one could be incapacitated and the other get them both out, the second, maybe you don't trust the RIO/WSO to trust you or maybe you want to ride it in to protect civilians but he can save himself.

Edit: Sort of like how WWII bomber crews would toss their not-immediately-mortally wounded comrades out the dooron static lines (basically tie the ripcord to the airframe, 'chute opens as soon as it's clear, it's what the paratroopers use), hoping that somebody would find them and take pity on them, because waking up as a POW in hospital is (usually) better than bleeding out before getting home.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Oct 21, 2016

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Finger Prince posted:

I suppose what I mean is moment of inertia (I think that's the right term) is much more sensitive with all the mass hanging so far from the center of gravity, to the point of a 50kg person walking to the back of the cabin is enough to start the plane rotating. You don't have that risk with aircraft with engines under the wings. The envelope there is much greater due to the mass being centralized.

With the mass farther away from the center, the moment if inertia is bigger, which would make it more resistant to rotation, i.e., it would be less, not more, sensitive to rotational jolts.

But in this case it wouldn't matter either way, because with gradual placements of boxes (or occupants walking back) one by one, it's essentially a static system with changing steady states. All that matters is CG vs. main gear position. If, instead, everyone started jumping in unison, then you'd have to start considering resistance to rotation.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Delivery McGee posted:

Pretty sure some fighters have the latter setup -- the pilot has a switch with the option of "both seats' ejection handles fire both seats" or "GIB can only fire his own, but pilot's fires both," both with their advantages: the first, either one could be incapacitated and the other get them both out, the second, maybe you don't trust the RIO/WSO to trust you or maybe you want to ride it in to protect civilians but he can save himself.

This is definitely true in at least one fighter. An F-14 pilot was giving an orientation flight for a surface warfare officer who would be working with aviation, gave him a heads-up, and rolled inverted. The guy in the backseat reacted instinctively, grabbing for something and holding on. "Something" happened to be a reassuring yellow and black handle.

The pilot had a very confusing and presumably loud experience but landed the plane and the backseater was recovered safely.

http://www.vfp62.com/f14_rio.html

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

vessbot posted:

With the mass farther away from the center, the moment if inertia is bigger, which would make it more resistant to rotation, i.e., it would be less, not more, sensitive to rotational jolts.

But in this case it wouldn't matter either way, because with gradual placements of boxes (or occupants walking back) one by one, it's essentially a static system with changing steady states. All that matters is CG vs. main gear position. If, instead, everyone started jumping in unison, then you'd have to start considering resistance to rotation.

Sounds like I need to retake high school physics.

What causes a rear engined aircraft suspended by two jacks placed at the exact center of gravity to be more sensitive to weight change aft of that point, versus an underslung (much larger + more massive, does that factor in?) engined aircraft suspended by two jacks at the same point which isn't or is less sensitive to weight changes at the back of the aircraft?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I'd expect it's the mass, because the lever arm should be shorter, but when calculating center of gravity you weight the contribution of an object by its weight, so if the plane's half as heavy, the same weight the same distance from the center of gravity should cause twice or roughly twice the shift.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

hogmartin posted:

This is definitely true in at least one fighter. An F-14 pilot was giving an orientation flight for a surface warfare officer who would be working with aviation, gave him a heads-up, and rolled inverted. The guy in the backseat reacted instinctively, grabbing for something and holding on. "Something" happened to be a reassuring yellow and black handle.

The pilot had a very confusing and presumably loud experience but landed the plane and the backseater was recovered safely.

That's an awesome read

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

hogmartin posted:

That's where I remember it from, yeah. The other option is for actual combat with a crew who trust each other and the backseater won't ND his seat (planes used for VIP rides really should have an "only pilot can initiate ejection" option, because of that), but is there any fighter with an option for "pilot leaves, GIB stays"? Maybe the Mudhen, it's got rudimentary flight controls in the back seat, but IIRC all the WSO can do is bombs, only the pilot can fire air-to-air munitions and guns.

Though the Mudhen's one air-to-air-kill was by the bombardier -- during Desert Storm, IIRC, they dropped a laser-guided bomb at a Hind on the ground, it took off, but they kept it painted until the chopper was well above ground level and put the 2,000-pound iron bomb into it in midair.

Also, Ironically, the Hind has a similar setup -- the gunner can drive if he has to.

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008
I remember seeing a picture from the back seat of the SR-71 that had a light labeled something like "Pilot Ejected." Was along with some writing about how the GIB could drive via the autopilot, but not much else since there was no visibility or flight controls for the back seat. Don't remember how the ejection was set up, the light may have only been there due to not really sharing a cockpit, but I know it's come up before.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Delivery McGee posted:

Now I'm wondering if the B-52 has an option to eject the backseaters independently of the pilots (or is it every man for himself, and they all leave when the pilot gives the order/they decide not to ride it in with the pilot)?

http://www.ejectionsite.com/b-52.htm

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

drzrma posted:

I remember seeing a picture from the back seat of the SR-71 that had a light labeled something like "Pilot Ejected." Was along with some writing about how the GIB could drive via the autopilot, but not much else since there was no visibility or flight controls for the back seat. Don't remember how the ejection was set up, the light may have only been there due to not really sharing a cockpit, but I know it's come up before.

If this doesn't make the friendly reassuring 'deep-doop' flight attendant call button sound I'm very disappointed.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hogmartin posted:

If this doesn't make the friendly reassuring 'deep-doop' flight attendant call button sound I'm very disappointed.

Very cool video about the SR-71 flight controls. There's some really weird stuff in there that you wouldn't see in an airplane that didn't fly the Blackbird's mission -- got instance, the gyroscopic laser projector that shines a stabilized horizon line across the entire instrument panel, so you know which way is up when everything around you is the blackness of space.

He goes into the back seat about two thirds of the way through and talks about the ejection system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj9UwKQKE3A

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Sagebrush posted:

Very cool video about the SR-71 flight controls. There's some really weird stuff in there that you wouldn't see in an airplane that didn't fly the Blackbird's mission -- got instance, the gyroscopic laser projector that shines a stabilized horizon line across the entire instrument panel, so you know which way is up when everything around you is the blackness of space.

He goes into the back seat about two thirds of the way through and talks about the ejection system.

This video is excellent. It never occured to me that you'd only get 16 goes at starting/lighting the afterburner on each engine.

I mean, if you're trying to re-light an engine in that thing mid flight you're probably going to get some use of the bailout lights anyway so it's not really an issue, but it seems like another thing that would weigh in the back of the pilot's mind the whole time.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Sagebrush posted:

That video was great man, thanks for the link.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

jammyozzy posted:

This video is excellent. It never occured to me that you'd only get 16 goes at starting/lighting the afterburner on each engine.

I mean, if you're trying to re-light an engine in that thing mid flight you're probably going to get some use of the bailout lights anyway so it's not really an issue, but it seems like another thing that would weigh in the back of the pilot's mind the whole time.

Wasn't the whole point of carrying all of that starter fuel the fact that the J58 is not an easy engine to keep running?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Mainly they had to relight the afterburners after tanking but also the engines were prone to unstarts, yes.

VVVV Not jet fuel; starter fuel. The SR-71 used triethylborane to light the engines since JP-7 is too hard to light normally. That wasn't replenished by tankers.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 22, 2016

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Wasn't the whole point of carrying all of that starter fuel the fact that the J58 is not an easy engine to keep running?

What? No. They took off nearly empty and had to refuel with a tanker within 20 minute of taking off...

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

We got a Big'un a few days ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0r7jZYcRpI

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

I hope they exchanged insurance information.

also: don't look now but I think someone's following you:
http://i.imgur.com/irK05EQ.mp4

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 22, 2016

savex
May 28, 2014

SeaborneClink posted:

What? No. They took off nearly empty and had to refuel with a tanker within 20 minute of taking off...

IIRC, the fuel tank sealed as they gain altitude, so on the ground, they were leaking. So they filled up the tank, took off asap and refueled at FL300 where the tank was a little more tight, then again blast off to climb to the final altitude were they could finally hold the fuel inside.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Jonathan Demers posted:

IIRC, the fuel tank sealed as they gain altitude, so on the ground, they were leaking. So they filled up the tank, took off asap and refueled at FL300 where the tank was a little more tight, then again blast off to climb to the final altitude were they could finally hold the fuel inside.
I thought it got sealed because the metal heated up and expanded due to friction from the extreme speed? I would think the lower pressure at higher altitudes would make the leaking worse if they were just puttering around.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Jonathan Demers posted:

No.

That is one of the biggest misconceptions about the SR-71; yes the tanks leaked fuel on the ground, but it was a very small amount. The reason why they took off light on fuel and tanked right away was solely to improve takeoff performance. A typical takeoff in an SR-71 has a rotation speed of 180 knots and a liftoff speed of 210, which is quite a bit higher than your average fighter aircraft to begin with. Additionally, even with the drogue chute, the SR-71's braking performance was not great - six little brakes on a heavy aircraft means that quickly becomes the limiting factor on takeoff performance.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

^^^ yes, to be clear, it's a small amount of fuel. The engines burn 20,000 pounds per hour, so obviously if it was losing a significant amount of fuel to leakage there would be a flood around every Blackbird all the time. it's true that the leaks don't stop until the correct speed is reached though

That's generally correct but it's airspeed, not altitude, that seals the tanks. At full speed, the plane's skin heats up several hundred degrees. If the panels were built to fit flush on the ground, they would buckle after they expanded from the heat. So instead they're built with gaps between them at ambient temperature, and after thermal expansion they fit flush. The fuel runs directly under the skin of the plane because that way you can both preheat the fuel and cool the skin, and you gain additional range that would be lost if you had to make a separate sealed internal fuel tank. But that means that the fuel drips out of all the gaps until the plane is sealed.

So primarily because you're using the fuel as coolant, and secondarily because you know it's going to drip out all over the runway, you have to use something with a very high flashpoint for safety. Hence the development of JP-8 and the chemical igniters to actually get it to light off.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 22, 2016

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

MrChips posted:

No.

That is one of the biggest misconceptions about the SR-71; yes the tanks leaked fuel on the ground, but it was a very small amount. The reason why they took off light on fuel and tanked right away was solely to improve takeoff performance. A typical takeoff in an SR-71 has a rotation speed of 180 knots and a liftoff speed of 210, which is quite a bit higher than your average fighter aircraft to begin with. Additionally, even with the drogue chute, the SR-71's braking performance was not great - six little brakes on a heavy aircraft means that quickly becomes the limiting factor on takeoff performance.

Dang, beat me to it. Yeah, the "leaky fuel tanks" is often vastly overstated; it was described as a slow drip in the books I've read on it. Not enough to have a serious impact on fuel consumption.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

drzrma posted:

I recall one of the stories I've seen reposted a few times involved the light coming on erroneously, followed by a very concerned back seater asking over the intercom whether the pilot was still there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Sagebrush posted:

^^^ yes, to be clear, it's a small amount of fuel. The engines burn 20,000 pounds per hour, so obviously if it was losing a significant amount of fuel to leakage there would be a flood around every Blackbird all the time. it's true that the leaks don't stop until the correct speed is reached though

That's generally correct but it's airspeed, not altitude, that seals the tanks. At full speed, the plane's skin heats up several hundred degrees. If the panels were built to fit flush on the ground, they would buckle after they expanded from the heat. So instead they're built with gaps between them at ambient temperature, and after thermal expansion they fit flush. The fuel runs directly under the skin of the plane because that way you can both preheat the fuel and cool the skin, and you gain additional range that would be lost if you had to make a separate sealed internal fuel tank. But that means that the fuel drips out of all the gaps until the plane is sealed.

So primarily because you're using the fuel as coolant, and secondarily because you know it's going to drip out all over the runway, you have to use something with a very high flashpoint for safety. Hence the development of JP-8 and the chemical igniters to actually get it to light off.

After all that accurate information, you typo JP-7. SMH