Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

There is an international trailer that has more footage, including Logan stabbing a guy through the head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5Zb0NZWU4A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Codependent Poster posted:

There is an international trailer that has more footage, including Logan stabbing a guy through the head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5Zb0NZWU4A

I think the first trailer is better.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Hot take, Origins was better than The Wolverine. Origins at least has one good performance (Sabretooth), The Wolverine is just awful all the way through.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

purple death ray posted:

Hot take, Origins was better than The Wolverine. Origins at least has one good performance (Sabretooth), The Wolverine is just awful all the way through.

Let's not say things we can't take back bro.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I'm finding it difficult to judge that Logan trailer objectively because Johnny Cash's "Hurt" is such a legendarily good track.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

purple death ray posted:

I would say this take is piss-warm

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

qntm posted:

I'm finding it difficult to judge that Logan trailer objectively because Johnny Cash's "Hurt" is such a legendarily good track.

Yeah, upon further viewings I find most of the enjoyment is due to the pacing of the trailer to the beats of the song.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Remember that decent-looking Suicide Squad trailer which was set to "Bohemian Rhapsody"?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

qntm posted:

Remember that decent-looking Suicide Squad trailer which was set to "Bohemian Rhapsody"?

God drat you.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Donald Pierce looks like he wandered over from the Deus Ex set

Electromax
May 6, 2007

purple death ray posted:

You could stop The Wolverine after the introductory nuke scene and it's already better than Origins.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The Last of Us: Mutant Edition

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Codependent Poster posted:

In 2024, mutants are living on the fringes of society, and their birth rates have plummeted.

Logan (Hugh Jackman) is living on New Mexico, haunted by the demons of his past. His healing factor is failing, and his palms are sweaty.

His knees are weak, arms are heavy. There's vomit on his sweater already. Mom's spaghetti.

He's nervous, but on the surface he looks calm and ready. To help Laura (Sienna Novikov) and Charles (Patrick Stewart) by bringing out the claws.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Is that the one probably set in the 1990s?

Since they're gonna be wrapping back around to the time the original X-Men movie took place, they should just remake it, do a Butterfly Effect thing since it's a new timeline and just have all this stuff be changed because they hosed with time.

That would be the most "comics" thing to do and I would love to see how dumb that could be.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bruceski posted:

The Last of Us: Mutant Edition

Lol, I was just about to post that the bit at the end with Logan and Laura standing there looked like it came straight out of a Last of Us movie.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Judging by the shovel in that scene, looks like old Prof X ain't going to make it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Anora posted:

Judging by the shovel in that scene, looks like old Prof X ain't going to make it.

He's died before. He'll get better.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Anora posted:

they're burying the x-men franchise

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Logan trailer rules.

Severe lack of Bonebreaker for a Reavers film, though.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Little Mac posted:

Logan trailer rules.

Severe lack of Bonebreaker for a Reavers film, though.

And Donald Peirce not wearing a pink frocked coat.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Short new clip from Dr. Strange showing the beginning of a fight scene with Mads. Some neat effects and I like the little touch of Dr. Strange's fight choreography emphasizing that he is a giant pussy and doesn't know how to fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj96BTSJ8yE

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Red Carpet premire is also going on live on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuyfT-4vpCM

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Short new clip from Dr. Strange showing the beginning of a fight scene with Mads. Some neat effects and I like the little touch of Dr. Strange's fight choreography emphasizing that he is a giant pussy and doesn't know how to fight.

I like it. Seems like he's still learning and not great at everything yet. So it'll be pretty great when he gets better and takes everyone apart later.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Looks like they were inspired by Inception quite a bit while making Dr. Strange, and I am perfectly ok with that. Inception has some of my all-time favorite effects shots, and I'm happy seeing the visual ideas be put to even bigger use.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Releasing a trailer this morning was not the best move by Fox, the Nintendo Switch is taking up all the social media real estate for the next 24 hours.

https://twitter.com/MaxScoville/status/789138411231678465?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I wonder if, since the next X-Men movie is going to be set in the 90s, they'll do some kind of spin on the X-Traitor storyline, and Logan is set in the aftermath of that. Then Laura (a few years after Logan) gets sent back in time to stop the traitor (maybe with Deadpool's good buddy, Cable) and hang around with the X-Men of that era and basically replaces Logan.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I wonder if, since the next X-Men movie is going to be set in the 90s, they'll do some kind of spin on the X-Traitor storyline, and Logan is set in the aftermath of that. Then Laura (a few years after Logan) gets sent back in time to stop the traitor (maybe with Deadpool's good buddy, Cable) and hang around with the X-Men of that era and basically replaces Logan.

Well, there's your loving Gambit movie.

He'll be front and center, he's got ties to Sinister, he was a traitor to all mutants (or believed to be), he was very popular in the 90's...

You may be on to something

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Dr. Strange just had it's critic review screening. Embargo is going to be lifted shortly, so the full reviews will be out soon.

First reactions:

CinemaBlend

quote:

Prepare to dig #DoctorStrange! Not the strongest script, but it legitimately adds new colors to the MCU, and the action is beautiful & crazy

Collider:

quote:

DOCTOR STRANGE is unlike any previous Marvel movie and that’s why I love it. They keep pushing boundaries and make it look easy. I'm not going to say DOCTOR STRANGE is the best Marvel movie. It’s not. But it’s an awesome Doctor Strange movie with visuals that will floor you.

Variety:

quote:

I liked DOCTOR STRANGE. The most self-contained Marvel movie in a long time. Fun visuals. Almost felt like a reboot of the first IRON MAN.

Slashfilm:

quote:

Doctor Strange’s action set pieces make an MC Escher paintings look tame. Some really great, clever, incentive stuff. Worth the 3D ticket. Cumberbatch owns Doctor Strange, the movie is funnier than I was expecting, a throwback to a pre-MCU Iron Man-like standalone story.

Rolling Stone:

quote:

DOCTOR STRANGE is guilty of *all* the usual Marvel movie problems, but excellent performances from Tilda & some VERY trippy visuals make it a spectacle worth savoring. Also, DOCTOR STRANGE is something I never thought I’d see: a Marvel movie with a good original score. What a time to be alive.

NYT:

quote:

Even beyond its insane visuals (cool stuff like you’ve never seen before), #DoctorStrange is tons of fun. A bit formulaic, but very solid.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, if the early reviews aren't going "best marvel movie ever" then there must be some serious-rear end problems with it. I can't remember the last time that didn't happen.

Still, at least it sounds like the visuals and soundtrack are solid.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

ImpAtom posted:

Man, if the early reviews aren't going "best marvel movie ever" then there must be some serious-rear end problems with it. I can't remember the last time that didn't happen.

They didn't do an early review screening for Strange. They had a general critic screening for major media outlets at the red carpet premiere last night. These are just the twitter and Facebook reacts by the critics before the embargo is lifted.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Do critics generally favor MCU movies? I think critics are disposed to not like Marvel movies and usually give them average scores since they are admittedly formulaic to some extent and meant to appeal to a large audience.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

notthegoatseguy posted:

Do critics generally favor MCU movies? I think critics are disposed to not like Marvel movies and usually give them average scores since they are admittedly formulaic to some extent and meant to appeal to a large audience.

They generally get pretty good reviews. The lowest MCU movie score on Rotten Tomatoes is 70% and the highest is 93%. They tend to average around the high 70's to low 80's.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They also release a whole 10-15% higher then sink or a couple of weeks.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The first Iron Man is my favorite superhero movie so that's a really good sign for me.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

ImpAtom posted:

Man, if the early reviews aren't going "best marvel movie ever" then there must be some serious-rear end problems with it.

Let's not jump to conclusions until the film is released, shall we? I always take early impressions with a grain of salt

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I don't feel like 'best marvel movie ever' has been the general response for anything past GotG or WS, whichever was last. Antman, Ultron, and CW all got about this level of praise.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I think we should blow things wildly out of proportion like the 5sec cw airport clip that was derided as the worst thing ever put to mcu film but was universally loved when they saw the actual scene

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Slugworth posted:

I don't feel like 'best marvel movie ever' has been the general response for anything past GotG or WS, whichever was last. Antman, Ultron, and CW all got about this level of praise.

http://www.indiewire.com/2016/04/captain-america-civil-war-reviews-call-it-the-best-marvel-movie-ever-293217/

Whenever a new Marvel comes out it gets a bunch of "this is the REAL best one to date" usually in a wave of hyperbole. Maybe Strange just has less hype so it ends up getting less "best. thing. ever"

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

People didn't say that about Ant-Man, which is ironic because that may actually be my favorite.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Ant-Man definitely got a lot of "not the best Marvel movie but fun" too and well, it wasn't the best Marvel movie but it was fun (and I put it somewhere in the top 3-5 personally) and that's all you can ask for. It's not like it's Suicide Squad where the reviews were a lot of "about as good as BvS."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"
Inspired by all of this Doctor Strange talk, I've created a thread in CD to continue discussion: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3795016

• Locked thread