Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
In non-nuclear news, this is the fourth night on which French police officers march in Paris (and a few other cities) to protest their working conditions/lack of support/assorted grievances. They're marching in uniform (with their guns? Who knows), with their faces hidden.

State of emergency? What's that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

doverhog posted:

What you are probably trying to say is that easily accessed uranium is limited in quantity and has to be mined. Ok. It's not that simple, but ok.

Accepting that, nuclear still doesn't release C02.

Not to mention that thorium is a thing. Accessibility is the least of nuclear power's problems. Storage is still the big one but the risk of plants and the risk of shortages are not even on the map.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

CommieGIR posted:

So you are saying Germany has enough storage, right now, to handle that 11% piece of the energy pie?

Some people are extremely optimistic, most likely far too optimistic*, but even in skeptical scenarios I don't really see any sort of panic to build more storage RIGHT NOW or else no more energy capacity can be installed.

quote:

Auch bei hohen EE-Anteilen an der Stromerzeugung (ca. 90% in Deutschland
und über 80% in Europa) kann bei Flexibilisierung von Erzeugung und
Nachfrage der notwendige Ausgleich weitgehend ohne zusätzliche
Stromspeicher geschafft werden. Dabei ist der Anteil abgeregelter EEErzeugung
mit ca. 1% gering.
https://www.energie.fraunhofer.de/de/bildmaterial/news-pdf/roadmap-speicher.pdf

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

steinrokkan posted:

I'll defer to the judgment of the research groups that made the math and said that this is in fact not the case, and that the storage sector develops in step with the energy generation sector.

There is absolutely no research group in the world that would say any country has enough ready pumped storage on hand for their current renewable usage to increase a large amount. Nobody had any reason to build all that capacity in the past, and they're not overbuilding them compared to current renewable electricity right now either - so where could it have come from?

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Kassad posted:

In non-nuclear news, this is the fourth night on which French police officers march in Paris (and a few other cities) to protest their working conditions/lack of support/assorted grievances. They're marching in uniform (with their guns? Who knows), with their faces hidden.

Also marching in a totally spontaneous way without prefectoral authorization. With official police cars. And without union supervision, which might be a big no-no for French civil servants.

I can't figure out why these dudes aren't facing harsh disciplinary measures. Oh wait, I can. loving cop culture.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fishmech posted:

No it wasn't. What the two oldest reactors, the ones that had issues were, was scheduled to start being shut down in 2012 and 2013 respectively, with the goal of having replacement reactors for them on-site by about now.

With facilities like them, sure. But no nation has enough of those facilities, as a huge amount more need to be built to handle a rapid increase in renewable energy generation.

And it's not like you can just toss gigawatthours of pumped storage or battery banks up overnight, at least not if you want them to be safe.

https://books.google.fi/books?id=CQ...%20life&f=false
https://books.google.fi/books?id=2K...%20life&f=false

They were also shut down earlier due to TEPCO falsifying maintenance reports and bribing inspectors. They were later restarted because of... Reasons. The plants were operating well beyond their effective safe service life and everybody involved knew it. They just didn't care. Fukushima Daiichi is a tale of corporate corruption and failure of governance, not technology. It happens all the time, with massively more expensive and devastating results. For reference, see 2008 financial crisis for instance. Or indeed those literally cancerous soviet coal plants currently and actively killing people as we speak here.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Wait, how could unions not be involved at all? The union is literally police officers.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

fishmech posted:

There is absolutely no research group in the world that would say any country has enough ready pumped storage on hand for their current renewable usage to increase a large amount. Nobody had any reason to build all that capacity in the past, and they're not overbuilding them compared to current renewable electricity right now either - so where could it have come from?

Well, that is patently a lie.

Even conservative groups like dena only point out the need to continue building up capacities at a steady pace, not the supposed impossibility of doing so for a rapid green energy deployment scenario.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 20, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

doverhog posted:

What you are probably trying to say is that easily accessed uranium is limited in quantity and has to be mined. Ok.

Exactly.

Kassad posted:

Again, this all come from Sarkozy and his decision to exterminate the community police (which he dismissed as "paying people to play football with urban youths") as well as the constant race to cut down on personnel, since basically all the policemen who aren't in Neuilly are a waste of resource for Sarko. Sarko's idea of police was 100% repression, 0% prevention, and 0% intelligence (just like Sarko himself).

So now policemen are overworked (and the state of emergency doesn't help here), understaffed (for example, their training was for three or more officers per patrol, but they have to patrol in pairs) and the "urban youths" hate them since they don't play football with them anymore.

Basically gently caress Sarko, please put him in jail forever already.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Friendly Humour posted:

https://books.google.fi/books?id=CQ...%20life&f=false
https://books.google.fi/books?id=2K...%20life&f=false

They were also shut down earlier due to TEPCO falsifying maintenance reports and bribing inspectors. They were later restarted because of... Reasons. The plants were operating well beyond their effective safe service life and everybody involved knew it. They just didn't care. Fukushima Daiichi is a tale of corporate corruption and failure of governance, not technology. It happens all the time, with massively more expensive and devastating results. For reference, see 2008 financial crisis for instance. Or indeed those literally cancerous soviet coal plants currently and actively killing people as we speak here.

Your first link says I don't have access, and the second only talks about original service life, which is customarily extended after a plant has proven safe in operation for a number of years.

Also maintenance or whatever had nothing to do with why they broke, they broke because of the safety systems being damaged by that whole tsunami and earthquake. And because they were older, about to be retired, designs this lef to them melting down while the other reactors at Fukushima Daiichi and the ones at Daiini didn't.

steinrokkan posted:

Well, that is patently a lie.

Even conservative groups like dena only point out the need to continue building up capacities at a steady pace, not the supposed impossibility of doing so for a rapid green energy deployment scenario.

Uh, how is that a lie dude? No country is set up with that kind of storage for renewable energy they don't have now and certainly didn't have in the recent past. Current countries with very high renewable energy output which isn't hydroelectric (which largely lacks storage needs, as it's relatively stable and easy to modulate production) rely on dumping excess production into other countries, as Denmark does with their wind production for instance, and then mass-importing electricity during low production.

Fundamentally that requires that the outside suppliers have a lot of more traditional production that can be spun up or down as needed and ease the issue.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

MiddleOne posted:

Wait, how could unions not be involved at all? The union is literally police officers.

They got sidestepped by hotheads who just wanted to do something spectacular.

Not even Alliance Police Nationale, who are a bunch of fascists, would have okayed an unsanctioned march on the Champs-Elysées. It's just not loving done. But now that it's done, all the cop unions are of course aghast at the idea that there could be any form of disciplinary action against the guys who marched.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Some people are extremely optimistic, most likely far too optimistic*, but even in skeptical scenarios I don't really see any sort of panic to build more storage RIGHT NOW or else no more energy capacity can be installed.

Yeah. If Germany is willing to pay other nations money to store its surplus energy, it is no problem. Austria and Norway will probably rejoice. And buy nuclear power from neighbors. France rejoices.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

steinrokkan posted:

This isn't actually solving anything, see my previous post where energy storage still means using the energy generated to cover said storage. Germany is not going to offset even 50% of its entire energy demand with storage because it would require ludicrous construction that would make several nuclear plants look like a toy.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Flowers For Algeria posted:

They got sidestepped by hotheads who just wanted to do something spectacular.

Not even Alliance Police Nationale, who are a bunch of fascists, would have okayed an unsanctioned march on the Champs-Elysées. It's just not loving done. But now that it's done, all the cop unions are of course aghast at the idea that there could be any form of disciplinary action against the guys who marched.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5FXGpr_a1Q

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

CommieGIR posted:

This isn't actually solving anything, see my previous post where energy storage still means using the energy generated to cover said storage. Germany is not going to offset even 50% of its entire energy demand with storage because it would require ludicrous construction that would make several nuclear plants look like a toy.

To be honest those giant gashes in the earth they're strip mining for lignite might make great pumped water storage reservoirs.

:v:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

fishmech posted:

To be honest those giant gashes in the earth they're strip mining for lignite might make great pumped water storage reservoirs.

I propose: Submarine Lignite mining. Everybody wins.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

You generally need some terrain elevation and easy access to pumpable water to produce pumped storage, those mines are generally on flatland far from the sea I think.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Zudgemud posted:

You need elevation

You generally need some terrain elevation and easy access to pumpable water to produce pumped storage, those mines are generally on flatland far from the sea I think.

So much elevation...

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

The study is saying that Germany can increase its renewables to 60%, without the need for any additional storage capacity (we are at ~30-40% right now).

Theoretically, if the net flexibility increases as expected in the future, we can do 90% renewables in Germany and >80% in the rest of Europe, without any new storage.

Should flexibility in energy demand not increase as expected, additional storage would indeed become necessary. According to the study, the amount and cost would be negligible.

The study was done by the Frauenhofer Institute in Kassel and a bunch of other organizations. They are very reputable, but I haven't read the report, so I can't really defend it.

When did you start learning German, steinrokkan? You planning to move to Deutcheland?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

The study is saying that Germany can increase its renewables to 60%, without the need for any additional storage capacity (we are at ~30-40% right now).

Theoretically, if the net flexibility increases as expected in the future, we can do 90% renewables in Germany and >80% in the rest of Europe, without any new storage.

Should flexibility in energy demand not increase as expected, additional storage would indeed become necessary. According to the study, the amount and cost would be negligible.

The study was done by the Frauenhofer Institute in Kassel and a bunch of other organizations. They are very reputable, but I haven't read the report, so I can't really defend it.

I'll believe it when it happens. I sincerely doubt that considering the amount of fossil fuels they are currently burning for power generation, not counting the amount of power they are importing.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

I'll believe it when it happens. I sincerely doubt that considering the amount of fossil fuels they are currently burning for power generation, not counting the amount of power they are importing.

You can't really think in terms of national nets or imports anymore, the European nets have been integrated for quite a while now. It's probably more accurate to speak of regions.

The above study presumes an enormous upgrade to the entire electrical infrastructure to better interconnect all regions and increase the net flexibility. Germany is spending a metric fuckton of money on this net upgrade right now, getting ready. And the costs are really insane. Just recently, whiny special snowflake Bavaria managed to get a lot of their new transmission lines to be build underground, at something like thrice the loving cost. gently caress Bavaria.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

fishmech posted:

Uh, how is that a lie dude? No country is set up with that kind of storage for renewable energy they don't have now and certainly didn't have in the recent past. Current countries with very high renewable energy output which isn't hydroelectric (which largely lacks storage needs, as it's relatively stable and easy to modulate production) rely on dumping excess production into other countries, as Denmark does with their wind production for instance, and then mass-importing electricity during low production.
Not disagreeing with you as such, but just want to clarify the last bit. It's not that we don't have the capacity to power our selves when wind power production is low, we just scale our production down when it's cheaper to buy Norwegian/Swedish power than to generate our own.* Our power grid was actually just named the most reliable in the world.

*This is not true the other way around though, the Norwegians are actually dependent on imports when a dry year has failed to fill up their reservoirs properly, which happens roughly every 5 years.

You can't really think in terms of national nets or imports anymore, the European nets have been integrated for quite a while now. It's probably more accurate to speak of regions.
Yeah, looking at this on a purely national basis is probably going to overstate the need for storage. You don't need storage in the same way if the grid can move power around from region to region, based on where there is a shortfall, Which is probably why a lot of power cables are in the planning stages, creating stronger and more direct connections in the power grid, like the Viking Link from Denmark to England, or the COBRAcable to the Netherlands, on top of improving connectivity to Germany. Similar projects are probably in the works down south, but they don't exactly make the news up here.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

CommieGIR posted:

This isn't actually solving anything, see my previous post where energy storage still means using the energy generated to cover said storage.

Yes, which is covered in the models. They do realize that you need to do that, but they also argue the existing grid with its planned upgrades is robust enough to handle current renewable expansion trends without major investments because you can use the inherent flexibility of power generation management to power storage facilities without compromising other consumers, and use low voltage management techniques made possible by decentralized solar and wind energy generation to protect the grid from imbalances that could appear.

When did you start learning German, steinrokkan? You planning to move to Deutcheland?

It was mandatory at school. I guess maybe the Deutsche are planning to move the other way :tinfoil:

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Oct 21, 2016

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
http://www.faz.net/aktuell/wirtscha...rue#pageIndex_3

very interesting article about the corruption under Tsipras.

Anyone who said that SYRIZA would be different than the other corrupt parties in Greece is kidding themselves. The only solution is to put Greece under an EU appointed governor to cleanse their political and economic system from corruption.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Give me an English summary of the article and I'll try to provide what information I know about it. I saw Kalogritsas' name in there so I'm assuming the TV networks stuff?

Also, keep your fascist wet dreams to yourself.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

GaussianCopula posted:

Anyone who said that SYRIZA would be different than the other corrupt parties in Greece is kidding themselves. The only solution is to put Greece under an EU appointed governor to cleanse their political and economic system from corruption.

Listen dude, Germany has never had a viable colonial empire, every one of their attempts has ended in miserable failure, it ain't gonna work with Greece either.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GaussianCopula posted:

Wow... You really don't got no fear of historical allegories, do you?

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

The above study presumes an enormous upgrade to the entire electrical infrastructure to better interconnect all regions and increase the net flexibility. Germany is spending a metric fuckton of money on this net upgrade right now, getting ready. And the costs are really insane. Just recently, whiny special snowflake Bavaria managed to get a lot of their new transmission lines to be build underground, at something like thrice the loving cost. gently caress Bavaria.

Depends. If you value your landscape and if you have regions with heavy snowfall/storms an underground infrastructure might be more reasonable.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
CETA failed thanks to half of Belgium :lol: .

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

9-Volt Assault posted:

^^
The EU is a hosed up system.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

9-Volt Assault posted:

CETA failed thanks to half of Belgium :lol:

https://twitter.com/JPTasker/status/789479614716448768

The speaker is Canada's lead negotiator. Translation from the linked article:

"Canada worked really hard, and me personally, I worked very hard. It's become evident for me, for Canada, that the European Union isn't capable now to have an international treaty even with a country that has very European values like Canada. And even with a country so nice, with a lot of patience like Canada. I've worked very, very hard, but I think it's impossible. We have decided to return home. I am very sad. It is emotional for me. The only good thing I can say is that tomorrow morning I will be at home with my three kids."

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 21, 2016

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
vive le québec libre

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

9-Volt Assault posted:

Meanwhile Bulgaria and Romania accepted CETA in exchange of visas. They must be sad. I guess the fishermen in Newfoundland and Labrador are happy too.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Einbauschrank posted:

^^
The EU is a hosed up system.

A democratically elected government protecting its citizens. Disgraceful.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
IMO every single trade agreement with an ISDS should automatically be rejected. I don't care if it hurts your profit or if you dislike that the tiny country of Glubenia is using some dumb regulation to protect its soap industry or whatever, laws should be decided by the legislative authority only, and foreign corporations should have exactly zero say on the matter.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The BBC article on it takes the opportunity to point out that

quote:

The region has a strong socialist tradition. Its fears echo those of anti-globalisation activists, who say Ceta and deals like it give too much power to multinationals - power even to intimidate governments.

Almost as if everyone already knows whose interests these treaties are meant to serve.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

What a week for the EU, mars probes crashing and burning, hard brexits, trade deals going bunk due to some french dudes living in the half of a country made up by the English. poo poo is dire.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Wall:o::o:ns

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Wallout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Electronico6 posted:

mars probes crashing and burning

That one isn't that big a deal, honestly. Schiaparelli's mission was to land, and that's it. No roving around, no digging the dirt, nothing interesting or exciting; it was just there to test a lander setup for the next Mars mission planned for 2020. Verdict: didn't work, engineers have to go back to the drawing board. It's bad but not that much. All the scientific equipment that's supposed to give us interesting data beyond a binary "our gizmo: works or not?" answer is on the orbiter, which is successfully orbiting.

Like Schiaparelli isn't even a probe, it's just a lander. It had some basic meteorological stuff and a camera, that's it.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 21, 2016