Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

everyone else (except the idol girl i guess) has some kind of connection to the village i think, so maybe it's a power granted by the god? and perhaps it's indicative that the characters who don't have obvious connections to the village might have ties to it that haven't been revealed yet.

Even with that in mind, so far Kyoya's the only character we've played as during or before the initial siren. It's perfectly possible that other characters experienced something similar at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

supergreatfriend posted:

P.27 - Grave Findin'
Slightly off lore-speculation topic - I think most of the ambient music in the game is really well made, and this level's "The Macabre Vanity of Mihama" is one of the tracks i got the OST for. This is definitely a game where you don't actively notice it, but 80% of the oppressive athmosphere would vanish the moment the ambient music was muted.

Snoop Radley
Sep 26, 2011

Hail to the baby king. :3:

AbstractNapper posted:

Can the Shibito sightjack people? I don't think that there is any indication of that, and they are mostly "grunts", but then maybe the "brain" ones can. Or maybe they could before they became a shibito, and that's why they evolved to "brains"?

I always figured that for story-related purposes you can assume they have similar sightjacking abilities as the main characters, but it's not actually incorporated into gameplay because imagine what a clusterfuck that'd be with the way the game works.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Slightly off lore-speculation topic - I think most of the ambient music in the game is really well made, and this level's "The Macabre Vanity of Mihama" is one of the tracks i got the OST for. This is definitely a game where you don't actively notice it, but 80% of the oppressive athmosphere would vanish the moment the ambient music was muted.
It's one of my favorite tracks too, but it's actually called "Karuwari I" in case someone wants to go looking. Or just click here! There's this really creepy sobbing on the track that you can just barely make out during the stage because of the rain ambiance. Really, I recommend checking out the soundtrack on the whole because it's very easy to overlook while watching an LP with commentary as opposed to playing the game yourself. Very eerie and dreamlike stuff.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

One of the other things I like is that while obviously it's harder to see at night, daytime doesn't bring any comfort at all because it's still overcast and foggy. I once described the original Silent Hill to a friend as a game that just feels exhausting, but in a good way; Siren pulls it off even more. There's never a sense of respite.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Snoop Radley posted:

I always figured that for story-related purposes you can assume they have similar sightjacking abilities as the main characters, but it's not actually incorporated into gameplay because imagine what a clusterfuck that'd be with the way the game works.

I could easily see them having the ability, but lacking the mental coordination to actually use it. If it's not something that's been second nature to them for a long time, it wouldn't be like their normal behavior of investigating lights and sound, or doing their gardening, so they might not have the faculties to take advantage of it/know it's even there.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Although it would explain the snipers who can deadeye you from 16 miles off through a foggy night.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

DeathChicken posted:

Although it would explain the snipers who can deadeye you from 16 miles off through a foggy night.

I figured that was just because the Shibito can see in the dark. Notice how when you sightjack them at night, you can see way better than you can through your own eyes.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
in the school level recording the principle shibito started off in the gymnasium looking around and as soon as he centered in on the blue cross hair he started walking to that exact room, ignoring any number of other options for searching until he found Reiko.

So I guess the in game explanation for that would be some sort of limited sight jacking ability.. or 6th sense.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
If you sight-jack someone that's sight-jacking someone else, whose eyes do you see out of? I must understand the in-world mechanics of magic zombie vision!

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Schwartzcough posted:

If you sight-jack someone that's sight-jacking someone else, whose eyes do you see out of? I must understand the in-world mechanics of magic zombie vision!

Well when Kyoya sightjacks Miyako (who is constantly sightjacking Kyoya) we see black. So there's the answer to your question.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Starsfan posted:

Well when Kyoya sightjacks Miyako (who is constantly sightjacking Kyoya) we see black. So there's the answer to your question.

Oh... right. :downs:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Starsfan posted:

But Miyako is blind. Makes you think

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Pretty sure you have to close your eyes to sightjack, so someone sightjacking you would just see the inside of your eyelids, assuming it's jacking directly into the optic nerve somehow and not whatever part of the brain is dedicated to sight.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

McKilligan posted:

Pretty sure you have to close your eyes to sightjack, so someone sightjacking you would just see the inside of your eyelids, assuming it's jacking directly into the optic nerve somehow and not whatever part of the brain is dedicated to sight.

A whole lot of jacking going on in this game. Obviously, the blind girl has been jacking the most out of all of them. Did Kenji Eno ghost write Siren? :colbert:

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

And More posted:

A whole lot of jacking going on in this game. Obviously, the blind girl has been jacking the most out of all of them. Did Kenji Eno ghost write Siren? :colbert:

Something something you gotta have some jack to jack up the jackpot, get what I'm sayin' Jack?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

That siren's got the jack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVlRQn6AMYs

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

P.28 - Broken Glasses

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

Artix posted:

Does that count secondary objectives we have to go back for? Because I would wager at least a third, possibly half the videos we currently have are the same mission but accomplishing some random secondary thing, so just mission count doesn't strike me as particularly useful as a measure.

It counts secondary objectives; I meant halfway through the number of videos.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
There are 21 (or 22 if you count the partial one in the bottom left) eyes. I can't quantify the unmistakable aura of insanity and paralyzing terror.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
For some reason I thought the person holding Yoriko's glasses was... well Yoriko. It would make sense that she at some point becomes a Shibito, what with drinking the red water and seemingly constantly running off to do her own thing like mail a letter or whatever she needed to do this time that she got separated from the professor.

But, I am kind of glad this was not the case. Because she is the one of the few characters that I immediately recognize and remember what she's done so far (although SGF's synopsis helped a lot with the other characters too) and I kind of like the idea that she is going to survive in spite of her silliness.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Yeah, I was expecting it to be Yoriko, too.

But wow, it's surprising how relatively easy it is to screw yourself out of being able to do the last bit of the mission. Could you, in theory, lure Misa somewhere else, sneak around her, and get in the room and grab the glasses? Would that end the mission? I mean, in case you ran out of bullets before getting to her.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

supergreatfriend posted:

P.28 - Broken Glasses

Tamon is quickly becoming my favourite character. He doesn't mess around, and he looks like he'd know some good dance moves when needed. I think it's the collar.

It's not directly related to this game, but I got some major Siren vibes from this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWXnt2Z2D1E

edit: Posting is difficult.

And More fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 19, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

There's something amazing about a handsome action folklorist with renegade theories about small town religion, a gun, a sidekick, and a town full of horror.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Night10194 posted:

There's something amazing about a handsome action folklorist with renegade theories about small town religion, a gun, a sidekick, and a town full of horror.

Yoriko is basically Willie from Temple of Doom.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

And More posted:

Fitting, seeing as one of the objectives is Stayin' Alive.

Snoop Radley
Sep 26, 2011

Hail to the baby king. :3:

PurpleXVI posted:

But wow, it's surprising how relatively easy it is to screw yourself out of being able to do the last bit of the mission.
This is unfortunately a pattern with Siren. The gameplay is very unforgiving and based on heaps of trial and error. :shrug:

And More posted:

You shut your whore mouth! (Yoriko at least has her endearing and funny moments, Willie is completely irredeemable and downright insulting.)

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Giant energy beams aren't what I expected to see in this game.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Hargrimm posted:

There are 21 (or 22 if you count the partial one in the bottom left) eyes. I can't quantify the unmistakable aura of insanity and paralyzing terror.

Tamon can't count. It's a subtle piece of characterization.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

And More posted:

Tamon is quickly becoming my favourite character. He doesn't mess around, and he looks like he'd know some good dance moves when needed. I think it's the collar.

It's not directly related to this game, but I got some major Siren vibes from this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWXnt2Z2D1E

edit: Posting is difficult.

nana makes the most amazing poo poo

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Grapplejack posted:

nana makes the most amazing poo poo
"This is not horror video." is really the perfect punchline to that work of art

Zenos Paradise
Apr 2, 2011

Did somebody say honeypot?

And More posted:

Harumi is Short Round

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Snoop Radley posted:

This is unfortunately a pattern with Siren. The gameplay is very unforgiving and based on heaps of trial and error. :shrug:

I wonder why that is such a strong theme of horror. It's such a careful balancing act, but I don't know if stressful is the same as scared. If this is the 7th time you are doing this level, are you scared?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Shirec posted:

I wonder why that is such a strong theme of horror. It's such a careful balancing act, but I don't know if stressful is the same as scared. If this is the 7th time you are doing this level, are you scared?

They want the Shibito to feel really dangerous and the heroes to feel really fragile, but I kinda feel like they went a little too far. I mean, after all, I was never able to finish the game myself.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shirec posted:

i think stress can be scary and is an important element of horror, but i think some things (like this level sgf just played) go a little to far into the "arbitrary" category where the stress is coming from the fact that things happen that you can't possibly plan for. it's one thing for ammo to be in short supply and for you to have to manage your resources, but this level is loaded with enemies that eat two bullets a piece, are hard to just run around, and get up quickly which means you have to pull off basically a perfect run to survive (and there's no way you can know that going in).

if just one of the aspects was changed, either the crawlers staying down longer or being slightly easier to get around in order to just run away, i think the stress would still be there but without the arbitrary feeling. basically this level needed some editing.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
With Siren, the plot is interesting and you want to know what happens next. With Nightcry, you just have no idea what is happening. I did like the crossover in this level - Tamon might not know who Mina is, but we know, and the plotlines are converging a bit.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

i think stress can be scary and is an important element of horror, but i think some things (like this level sgf just played) go a little to far into the "arbitrary" category where the stress is coming from the fact that things happen that you can't possibly plan for. it's one thing for ammo to be in short supply and for you to have to manage your resources, but this level is loaded with enemies that eat two bullets a piece, are hard to just run around, and get up quickly which means you have to pull off basically a perfect run to survive (and there's no way you can know that going in).

if just one of the aspects was changed, either the crawlers staying down longer or being slightly easier to get around in order to just run away, i think the stress would still be there but without the arbitrary feeling. basically this level needed some editing.
To be frank this whole game needed a second pass, it's pretty much a convoluted, padded out, and inaccessible mess. (Seriously the second objectives are one of the most bald-faced examples of filler that add nothing to the game and are just wastes of the player's time I've seen) It's a real shame because the atmosphere is fantastic.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 20, 2016

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The second objectives sometimes add to the plot in interesting ways, and sometimes they are boneheaded wastes of time. Not every mission needed a second objective. And a lot of these second objectives could have been substantially more intuitive or interesting. Wet towel is definitely one but not the other, and several secondaries are neither.

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE
Considering the conversation has turned to the game's many unnecessary secondary objectives, it seems like a good time to post this.

P.29 - Night Gardening

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

That was an impressive display of skill. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

marshmallow creep posted:

The second objectives sometimes add to the plot in interesting ways, and sometimes they are boneheaded wastes of time. Not every mission needed a second objective. And a lot of these second objectives could have been substantially more intuitive or interesting. Wet towel is definitely one but not the other, and several secondaries are neither.

this actually brings to mind one of my major criticisms with the sequel
Though I cannot go into details into it (yet) due to spoilers for both games (though I am unsure what is the policy reguarding sequel spoilers in this thread)

• Locked thread