Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I made a 4 lapper goliath where the sun comes up just as you hit the last 2/3rds of the last lap, so it's like LeMans. Sheer accident. Retro Saloons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

comatose posted:

I beat a bunch of dudes in X999 class Ultimas using a caterham with a B class drag tune :haw:
Yeah, I nailed it on the 2nd try with the S1900 Caterham. I just hadn't joined the race properly last time. I left so as not to hinder anyone else's chance to win. Off to do the 50 near misses thing, then bed.

Thank god I didn't have to drift.

E: Actually I was already like four passes away from beating the near miss thing, so that only took a minute.

So I am using my last 3x Skill Perk on my own one lap Goliath blueprint. Atmus, the gearing you gave me for the Jaguar is pretty darn good.

Hi EF. The main benefits to my Goliath race is you can take the skills GT-R HE or the XP boost Jag HE. It's a little hairy but the weather is good and you don't need an hour to do it. :)

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Oct 19, 2016

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

God I love the vinyl editor. Coming up with stupid ideas for the cars the game flings at you is half the fun for me

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Dr. Faustus posted:

Yeah, I nailed it on the 2nd try with the S1900 Caterham. I just hadn't joined the race properly last time. I left so as not to hinder anyone else's chance to win. Off to do the 50 near misses thing, then bed.

Thank god I didn't have to drift.

E: Actually I was already like four passes away from beating the near miss thing, so that only took a minute.

So I am using my last 3x Skill Perk on my own one lap Goliath blueprint. Atmus, the gearing you gave me for the Jaguar is pretty darn good.

Hi EF. The main benefits to my Goliath race is you can take the skills GT-R HE or the XP boost Jag HE. It's a little hairy but the weather is good and you don't need an hour to do it. :)

Shorten the final drive up a little, it redlines in certain spots and that's suboptimal for Goliath.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
God i hate buggies

anyone have tips or want to share their pro buggy build with me?

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 20, 2016

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I just did the Cult Classics championship, and the Manx is easily the best car stock for that. I would def. put a transmission in it and that's really it. Fun car stock on short tracks.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Songbearer posted:

God I love the vinyl editor. Coming up with stupid ideas for the cars the game flings at you is half the fun for me

I would love to do stuff with the editor but it just feels so clunky with a controller.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
I've become addicted to running Rivals on circuit races...send help!

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Thief posted:

had to buy an M1 because someone recreated one of my favorites:

This picture was taken about 30 seconds away from where I work, they had a bunch of the artcars in and it was cool as h*ck.

On forza, I still haven't bought FH3 because I somehow managed to remove the windows store from my pc and my xbox one is so slow and poo poo I haven't turned it on for months. I should probably get this game at some point because it seems rad as h*ck.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Dr. Faustus posted:

I think I may have upgraded to Street Tires on one car. In terms of trying to add a little grip, I have widened them instead. Pretty much every car I've tuned is still on "stock rubber."

I am finding it can be a problem. While the AI cars corner on rails, I either brake too much and get left back, or go in and lose grip and drift the corner, getting left back. I've found that sticking to AWD, being very careful about weight transfer (basically trail-braking into corners to keep weight on the steering tires up front), and treating AI cars like guardrails (the old Gran Turismo 1 strategy.) That probably explains why my Drivatar is such a dick.

If there's a happy medium in there, I've yet to find it. That said, there are some cars that feel like great cheater cars to me, including my Subaru WRX STI, and my little FIAT Abarth 500.

*shrugs*

P.S. - This is in contrast to when I tune up for Motorsport. In that game I go heavy on grip PI, putting race tires on just about anything about B class which is silly, but I need cars to be as predictable as possible because I'm not a great driver. This hurts me in top speed. I've changed my habits very much for Horizon. I pretty much AWD-swapped everything in FH2, and I still do it a lot on FH3, although I do hang onto some RWD cars for tail-happy fun.

Unless you are going up like 3+ classes from stock (like 400-700) tires just add too much PI for the gain. And there is not really a way to customize a car "per track" like there is in Forza. Almost every race has long straights where those tires are completely useless and you just get blown out by higher power.

My dislike rant: I wish there was more rewards for "good driving" as opposed to everything rewarding drifting. You gain 10x more levels and skill points by constantly hitting your e-brake than you do taking a corner and hitting a perfect apex, and that makes me a bit sad. Why didn't they put in some decent skill chain boosts for the "perfect corner" stuff from Forza?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I didnt see you playing forza 6 subx, where good, non E-brake racing is rewarded :)

Still looking to play online with people, shoot me an invite if you see me online, afternoons EST, GT: MattD1zzl3

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I didnt see you playing forza 6 subx, where good, non E-brake racing is rewarded :)

Still looking to play online with people, shoot me an invite if you see me online, afternoons EST, GT: MattD1zzl3

That is exactly what I meant by the "perfect corner" thing that was in the game. Mostly I didn't play as much Forza 6 as previous iterations because Microsoft made my fanatec incompatible with the Xbox One :(

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006

subx posted:

My dislike rant: I wish there was more rewards for "good driving" as opposed to everything rewarding drifting. You gain 10x more levels and skill points by constantly hitting your e-brake than you do taking a corner and hitting a perfect apex, and that makes me a bit sad. Why didn't they put in some decent skill chain boosts for the "perfect corner" stuff from Forza?

on the flipside to this, I'm netting about a level per rival I'm beating in A800 circuit's at around lv280 and beating times in those needs some pretty clean driving...

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Wanted to play some Forza, but the Windows Store is incapable of downloading this 1.84 mb update :)

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Now that I've actually looked at it, I want to find out if the FH team actually tuned the 2017 Ford GT HE, or if they just guessed wildly at the settings.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

YOU HAVE CONCERNED THE FIREBEAST

GO, MY HORRIBLE CREATION!

IT LURKS IN THE NIGHT AND WAITS TO EAT YOUR CHIPS

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 21, 2016

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

man the game crash is made so much worse by this game not having a good autosave. i really hope this get's fixed soon because i love this game

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Pinny posted:

I've become addicted to running Rivals on circuit races...send help!

Rivals has consumed me. If you spin 20+ laps you can level up several times.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Atmus posted:

Now that I've actually looked at it, I want to find out if the FH team actually tuned the 2017 Ford GT HE, or if they just guessed wildly at the settings.
I'll be very interested in your conclusions, Atmus.

Songbearer posted:

YOU HAVE CONCERNED THE FIREBEAST

GO, MY HORRIBLE CREATION!

IT LURKS IN THE NIGHT AND WAITS TO EAT YOUR CHIPS
O man this takes me back. Pics say creation date is December 2014 but I think it might be older.
Songbearer, allow me to transport you back to FM4 and introduce you to DeathGibs' SUPERCHARGED DEATH. Once we had a tight battle on Catalunya a long time ago and he's been one of my favorite bad dudes ever since (miss you, bad dude).
I found pics:

Just a little love tap:

Rivals racing really is addictive because once you hit your wall on a circuit, there's more to do! It's maddening and my heart can barely take it these days. When I play FH3, though, I'm currently looking for street races to do. I'm saving the exhibition/championship stuff for later.

Also, SW Battlefront came out with a Death Star DLC and it's too alluring (even though I am absolutely terrible at it.) Hurry up, weekend, I have gaming to do!

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Dr. Faustus posted:

I'll be very interested in your conclusions, Atmus.

I got it to where it can turn a corner at over 50mph now, and flying into those houses at the end of the beach section of Goliath isn't as big of a problem. I cut down on the braking understeer a bunch without having to sacrifice braking distance too. Still fooling with the suspension to make it less nauseating during the rough sections though.

Tuning being rewarding rather than just a necessary slog is pretty nice.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006

DELETED posted:

Rivals has consumed me. If you spin 20+ laps you can level up several times.

I'm in the top 100 for whatever the third circuit for Byron Bay is called in my RX7, everyone else is in 22B's now :(

I cant for the life of me get a decent time anywhere else, but my tune for that one track is awesome if I nail the lines.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Anyone got a Track Toy car / config that I can use to complete this Forzathon challenge? I keep getting killed by a couple C-class Mercury who finish in 22 seconds. Also is there some way to do a drag race without having to wait like 5 minutes for the popup to invite you to do one?

ergot
Jan 25, 2002
Heresiarch
Pretty much any of the caterham tunes should do it for you. I got it with an S1 tune last night.

And no, you have to wait for the showdown race to cycle around.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Oh yeah forgot about Forzathon. Think I got the 3 starred speed cameras and that's it :(

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

ergot posted:

Pretty much any of the caterham tunes should do it for you. I got it with an S1 tune last night.

And no, you have to wait for the showdown race to cycle around.
It is just those drat C class competitors showing up in their Mercury Coupes and Ford F-100s that get a 10 second head start and then you're hosed. I kept joining, racing, seeing that there were C class cars, returning to solo and rejoining until I got into a race with other S1 and above cars and I finally had a chance.

Now that I have the reward car I am super disappointed. I can't make it look like a regular car, I am stuck with all this race crap? MY IMMERSION!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I am home and have some time to play Campaign Co-op. If anyone is free hit me up on XBox Live.

Namaste.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Yeeeaaaaahhh BRZ HE for 535k. I feel like Valentine and Winthorpe.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Shumagorath posted:

Yeeeaaaaahhh BRZ HE for 535k. I feel like Valentine and Winthorpe.

Nice. I managed to snag both of the HE BMWs off the auction house yesterday for 300K each. The AH is clunky as poo poo and a pain in the rear end to deal with though.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
It helps if you bring up the menu with Y to bid rather than drill down to the showcase of each car. Made my strategy much easier, anyway.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Atmus posted:

Most of the upgrade presets are utter nonsense but the Ford GT HE is still one of my favourite cars if only for being one of the best Batmobile designs in awhile. God help you trying to launch it without TCS though.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

New update has made it run pretty well, but the game just straight up crashes with no error message now. I can't even get through a single lap of goliath(on my way to attempting a 4 lap session)!

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Rewind on Goliath gets pretty lovely on laps 12-14. So much so that it will take you back 2/3 of a lap. It stops functioning entirely after 15.

Also, Pro driveatars stop being Pro pretty quick.

Atmus fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 22, 2016

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
How is the game even keeping 2/3rd of a lap in RAM? I guess it needs to for the replay. And I wouldn't mind the Pro drivatars loving off as after five laps in S2 cars they were consistently on my rear end or able to do perfect slingshot passes that would make Mario Kart blush. I tested ramming one at 300kph and should have sent it into Tasmania but it hardly moved off the drive line.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
I'm betting it doesn't, and it just saves random recovery points. It trying to keep the replay alive is probably why rewind goes to poo poo.

2nding the Enemy cars are on rails thing. They are USUALLY polite enough to not Gutbomb you, but it's frustrating not being able to get revenge on them. I imagine it's way harder to make good AI for Horizon than it is for Motorsport though, so I'm not too mad about it.

Also some dude tried to join my career while I was doing this race. Sorry man, I wasn't snubbing you, I just don't want to chance the game loving things up when I'm this far into it. Even if it let you possess one of the other drivers, you would be at least 4 laps behind anyway.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
The ai seems to be tied to your inputs as well which is loving frustrating. Like in free roam the cars driving around slow down considerably if you do. If you drive the speed limit they will only go slightly faster than ai traffic. Its the same poo poo with races. If you only use half your throttle in a race, the ai will match it and slow down so they are only slightly ahead of you. Punch it and they speed up too. Whats funny about this is you can slingshot cars all over the drat place by slow boating and then cutting a corner to get ahead. The ai punches it into the back of the cars ahead trying to keep up to whatever "pace" its supposed to keep with you. Then of course theres the point where that stops and you are free to take first. If you are in a slow car on low difficulty settings the ai just shits the bed at this point. Their cars are slowed down too so that they cant go full throttle, unless of course you are ahead, then they can. The back and forth at that point isnt a challenge its just an annoying gimmick you have to deal with. The ai on the lowest settings really make these behaviors glaringly obvious.

Also I dig the Drivatar system, but there are some that will jump across the track to hit you even if there is another car between you, and after rewinds it sometimes will target you so obviously that they t-bone you on straights.

Anyways, its not that the ai is hard to do right in an open world, its that they scripted it to do these things because they think its "fun", and makes for good races.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Is there a goon club I can get into for leaderboards and poo poo? I'm playing Horizon 3 right now but all the info in the OP is for Forza 6.

Holy poo poo not 2 seconds later I unlocked clubs and was able to join GRRC. I am stupid.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 23, 2016

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
All PR stunts complete. I got first place on silver sands as well. :smug:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

DogonCrook posted:

Anyways, its not that the ai is hard to do right in an open world, its that they scripted it to do these things because they think its "fun", and makes for good races.

It's the GTA effect. You drive around in these worlds long enough and you'll pick up on the patterns and weave through them like Neo in the Matrix.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Real talk: they need to fix the difficulty levels in this game. It's insane how instantly unbeatable the AI becomes as soon as you go above "above average"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
25 laps of Goliath got me like 85 levels, 93 skill points, and around 4m credits. It also gave me kind of a hatred for Goliath.

• Locked thread