Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

MockingQuantum posted:

I think I'm having a coming-of-age experience as a synthesist. I'm considering selling my whole modular setup. Dear god how have I arrived at this black pit of despair?

It's the ennui of satiety. There's not really any step above a good modular. Maybe just put it completely away for a few months and get your music-making fix without synths.

e: I'm going in the opposite direction. Just bought my first synth and I'm already planning what to put in my modular/what workflow to use/etc. (Duophonic VCO, Dreadbox Drips, modulating delay(s), Euclidian sequencer, for starters)

Pondex fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Pondex posted:

It's the ennui of satiety. There's not really any step above a good modular. Maybe just put it completely away for a few months and get your music-making fix without synths.

e: I'm going in the opposite direction. Just bought my first synth and I'm already planning what to put in my modular/what workflow to use/etc. (Duophonic VCO, Dreadbox Drips, modulating delay(s), Euclidian sequencer, for starters)

I think I just get fixed architecture synths better. I get lost in my modular rig, in a good way, but I don't really produce much worth keeping in the same way I do on other stuff. I thought it'd be a huge boon to my sound design work, and has been at times, but I feel like I still have to spend so much money to get much functionality out of it. I think I bought the wrong modules, or at least didn't buy the right ones first.

Plus the idea of selling it then living off the money I make from that for a couple of months while I mess around with the rest of my poo poo is really appealing. I don't think I'll ever have the liquid funds to build more than maybe 6u of modular total.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
6u can be a hell of a deep synth

maybe sell enough for one month and get used to a smaller rig, and possibly get more miixer modules? i find mixers to be the glue that keeps it interesting

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

6u can be a hell of a deep synth

maybe sell enough for one month and get used to a smaller rig, and possibly get more miixer modules? i find mixers to be the glue that keeps it interesting

Maybe. I think at heart I'm too frugal for modular, and have trouble comparing what I can make with $2k of modular vs all the other things I can do with $2k. I'm not going to jump it like a sinking ship just yet. I just always intended to only ever have 90hp and hoped to turn that into something compelling and unique. Which I think is doable, but I bought the wrong sort of modules for that kind of application in my inexperience.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Totally starting on a bit of a burn-out day at the electronics shop, been looking over the keyboards folks have been asking me to fix up, not super excited:

Told the story to my friend my friend who's been working off our new 3D printer about the plans to sit down with Welsh's Synthesizer Cookbook at home after I get the mail in, he starts getting excited, "I have this 88 key synthesizer in my closet. Can't remember it's name, but it starts with a K."

"Korg?"

"No, it also has an L."

He just ran off to grab what I think is a Kurzweil. Will keep posted.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

MockingQuantum posted:

Maybe. I think at heart I'm too frugal for modular, and have trouble comparing what I can make with $2k of modular vs all the other things I can do with $2k. I'm not going to jump it like a sinking ship just yet. I just always intended to only ever have 90hp and hoped to turn that into something compelling and unique. Which I think is doable, but I bought the wrong sort of modules for that kind of application in my inexperience.

Think of it as a single voice or a wall of sound/noise to add to your existing kit.

I love what I have, and might grab another oscillator here and there, but my use case for it is not "wall of modules that I'll try and make whole pieces with" now; that just gets exponentially more expensive especially to vary things around. So much eurorack is being left as grooveboxes costing several thousand dollars. Right now for me it's getting or keeping the weird and wonderful oscillators that would never be its own synth and keeping my existing signal paths for variety.

One upside of eurorack is it seemed to scare big synth makers enough to start producing affordable analog gear again, and the introduction of CV patch points on some is even better.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

ohsnap it was an ensoniq rompler

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Well I took the plunge and bought my first weighted keyboard, a Korg SV-1. It arrives Monday. I know it's not technically a synthesizer but I'm excited and wanted to tell the thread anyway.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
If a kurzweil doesn't scratch your modular itch you just love patch cables

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

stillvisions posted:

Think of it as a single voice or a wall of sound/noise to add to your existing kit.

I love what I have, and might grab another oscillator here and there, but my use case for it is not "wall of modules that I'll try and make whole pieces with" now; that just gets exponentially more expensive especially to vary things around. So much eurorack is being left as grooveboxes costing several thousand dollars. Right now for me it's getting or keeping the weird and wonderful oscillators that would never be its own synth and keeping my existing signal paths for variety.

One upside of eurorack is it seemed to scare big synth makers enough to start producing affordable analog gear again, and the introduction of CV patch points on some is even better.

Yeah I think that's the direction I'm starting to take with it. One thing that I need to explore is a best-use case for integrating my Euro with my ITB setup, since my day-to-day work is pretty inseparable from a DAW. I've been meaning to look into using Reaktor to cover a lot of the utility modules that would take up space in the rack and seeing whether that makes the setup feel more usable without throwing massive chunks of money at it.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Reaktor and an ES-3 works great for controlling a modular if you are fine with the DAW workflow, that's where I'm at nowadays with mine. CV from the DAW and the audio stuff in the modular. Stuff like a Function is still good in the rack since it also works as an OSC, waveshaper/filter, etc

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

breaks posted:

Reaktor and an ES-3 works great for controlling a modular if you are fine with the DAW workflow, that's where I'm at nowadays with mine. CV from the DAW and the audio stuff in the modular. Stuff like a Function is still good in the rack since it also works as an OSC, waveshaper/filter, etc

I don't have a Function but I've got a Maths and a Disting. I've also heard tell that you can actually get by without an ES-3 or the like if you have Reaktor and an audio interface with DC coupled outputs, which is intriguing.

breaks
May 12, 2001

I'd probably ditch the disting if going the Reaktor route, but of course it depends on your usage. Reaktor kind of serves the same purpose of being able to do lots of different poo poo though.

And yeah if you have a DC capable interface you may not need the es3, though it depends on how many outs you have. Getting most of your CV from the DAW you can really burn through em, I basically never use less than 4 even for simple patches - pitch and some combination of gates, envelopes, and lfos. And I can easily use all 8 when I start getting ~modular~ with it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

breaks posted:

I'd probably ditch the disting if going the Reaktor route, but of course it depends on your usage. Reaktor kind of serves the same purpose of being able to do lots of different poo poo though.

And yeah if you have a DC capable interface you may not need the es3, though it depends on how many outs you have. Getting most of your CV from the DAW you can really burn through em, I basically never use less than 4 even for simple patches - pitch and some combination of gates, envelopes, and lfos. And I can easily use all 8 when I start getting ~modular~ with it.

Good to know. I've got a Focusrite 18i20, so I may try doing without the ES-3 for a while, assuming that'll even do DC. I think I'll just have to sit down this weekend and give it a spin.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Just so happens my new ES-8 arrived the other day. It's great to have a eurorack-centered audio interface for my Mac/iPad but I gotta say setting up instruments as multi-out to it is a real tedious pain in the rear end in Logic.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

breaks posted:

Yeah, that was going to be the next step. I've got a MOTU with 8 ins and outs that has been criminally underused. Waiting on a new computer to get Reaktor since my current setup is flagging with just Live. Also holding out in the hope something like Reaktor comes out that's native to Live. I do like eurorack hardware sequencers as an idea generator, but it's nice to then be able to control that in a predictable way.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I have decided that my next purchase (after literally buying Ableton Suite a month ago) should be some type of synthesizer/controller but I am unsure of what to buy. My price range is about $800 or less and I would like something that I can easily set up on my desk to sketch ideas into Ableton. Currently I am plugging in a 61-key Yamaha to my laptop as a MIDI controller and it is...unwieldy to say the least.

I was looking at Teenage Engineering's OP-1 because I have seen a few artists I enjoy using it and raving about it. Has anyone had any experience with one? If I was looking for something around the same size (a little larger would be ok since the OP-1 is tiny) and similar price, what would people recommend?

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

MrSargent posted:

I have decided that my next purchase (after literally buying Ableton Suite a month ago) should be some type of synthesizer/controller but I am unsure of what to buy. My price range is about $800 or less and I would like something that I can easily set up on my desk to sketch ideas into Ableton. Currently I am plugging in a 61-key Yamaha to my laptop as a MIDI controller and it is...unwieldy to say the least.

I was looking at Teenage Engineering's OP-1 because I have seen a few artists I enjoy using it and raving about it. Has anyone had any experience with one? If I was looking for something around the same size (a little larger would be ok since the OP-1 is tiny) and similar price, what would people recommend?

I really, really like the OP1 but I think it's a little gimmicky. Personally, if I have a keyboard, it's going to be a synth - think Moog Sub-37 at the high end, maybe the Korg Minilogue or Arturia Minibrute at the lowend. Otherwise, I'm using a MIDI controller/Push for in-the-box instruments. Would you want to go the synth route?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

MrSargent posted:

I agree with dj bobby bieber, I love the OP-1 but it's a synth first and foremost. The keyboard is kinda terrible to use and I wouldn't want it as my primary controller for certain. I have a Keith McMillen Q-Nexus that I keep in my backpack. Probably my favorite super-small format keyboard, but it takes some getting used to. For my main rig at home I'm currently using a DSI Mopho as a controller. I'm also of the type that if I'm going to have a keyboard sitting around, I would rather it be a synth. I used a lot of keyboard controllers over the year and got sick of stuff like Automap and mapping keyboard knobs and sliders and the like so I just stopped going that route.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

I'm crazy about the keystep - it's cheap but it's a ton of fun, and its step sequencer and arpeggiator can lead to tons of inspiring places.

The OP-1 is wonderful - I own one - but best thought of as its own little closed system workstation.

Do you have a Push 2? I'd go as far as to say using Ableton without Push 2 is an incomplete experience.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

dj bobby bieber posted:

I really, really like the OP1 but I think it's a little gimmicky. Personally, if I have a keyboard, it's going to be a synth - think Moog Sub-37 at the high end, maybe the Korg Minilogue or Arturia Minibrute at the lowend. Otherwise, I'm using a MIDI controller/Push for in-the-box instruments. Would you want to go the synth route?

Thanks a lot for this. I think I definitely want to go the synth route as I would really like to start experimenting with a physical machine instead of the softsynths I have been working with in Ableton. The Moog Sub-37 is a little out of my price range right now, even though it looks delicious. The KORG Minilogue looks pretty awesome and I like that it has a step-sequencer. This would be my first hard synth so I am not sure if that makes a difference as to what I should purchase.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I'm crazy about the keystep - it's cheap but it's a ton of fun, and its step sequencer and arpeggiator can lead to tons of inspiring places.

The OP-1 is wonderful - I own one - but best thought of as its own little closed system workstation.

Do you have a Push 2? I'd go as far as to say using Ableton without Push 2 is an incomplete experience.

I have a Launchpad S that I have started incorporating into my workflow in arrangement mode. The Push 2 looks like a goddamn dream but paychecks only come every 2 weeks unfortunately. So much gear, not enough monies.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

MrSargent posted:

I have a Launchpad S that I have started incorporating into my workflow in arrangement mode. The Push 2 looks like a goddamn dream but paychecks only come every 2 weeks unfortunately. So much gear, not enough monies.

I highly suggest looking into the Push 2. It's the physical desktop component of Ableton - it's THAT integrated. You can basically do anything from it, play in melodies, bash out drums, create your arrangement. It was a total game-changer for me to united Ableton with a studio full of hardware.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

MrSargent posted:

If you're going mostly in-the-box I'd suggest a Push (well, Push 2 now) and get some cheap 25 key keyboard controller. They've done a bang-up job of putting everything you need to sketch out tracks with just the interface, and Ableton is a brute without a good controller to go with it. The keyboard is for jamming out solo lines and stuff. I'd say wait on hardware synths because that's an extra level of pain and unless you have one with an awesome control scheme it's not gonna be controlling Live that well. You can always use placeholder soft synths and then plug in hardware ones later to fill out the sound.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

MrSargent posted:

Thanks a lot for this. I think I definitely want to go the synth route as I would really like to start experimenting with a physical machine instead of the softsynths I have been working with in Ableton. The Moog Sub-37 is a little out of my price range right now, even though it looks delicious. The KORG Minilogue looks pretty awesome and I like that it has a step-sequencer. This would be my first hard synth so I am not sure if that makes a difference as to what I should purchase.

I have a minilogue it was my first synth purchase and I absolutely love it but I don't put a lot of weight into the step sequencer, I'm planning on adding some volcas into the mix

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I made the mistake of going and watching a bunch of Push 2 demos and now I am going to have to stop myself from impulse buying one on my way home from work...

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

MrSargent posted:

I made the mistake of going and watching a bunch of Push 2 demos and now I am going to have to stop myself from impulse buying one on my way home from work...

I'd definitely get one before a Minilogue, but that's just me.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

dj bobby bieber posted:

I'd definitely get one before a Minilogue, but that's just me.

Apparently Guitar Center is doing the 0% interest financing deal through their Gear Card for the Push2 and it is only valid through 10/31....36/month looks much smaller than $800, oh god what am I doing.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

MrSargent posted:

Apparently Guitar Center is doing the 0% interest financing deal through their Gear Card for the Push2 and it is only valid through 10/31....36/month looks much smaller than $800, oh god what am I doing.

I would check sweetwater they have a pretty decent 0 interest plan but that's just me

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Man, every time I see the OP-1 I get a full-on chub for it but then I just can't get past the price tag.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

MrSargent posted:

Do you get discount codes for Musician's Friend? Sometimes they have 20% off codes - GC will honor that. Highly suggest :)

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Trig Discipline posted:

Man, every time I see the OP-1 I get a full-on chub for it but then I just can't get past the price tag.

It's awesome

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Is it reasonable to buy one now that it's been out for five years? Is the OP-2 coming out in January or something?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Didn't they demo an op1 with a projector built in a while back? That seemed sweet

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

I just bought an ALM Akemie's Castle. I am very, very excited about this.

Also, yes, Push is rad no matter what your genre is. I've used mine on ~rock tracks and all of the electronic poo poo I record. It's great.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

A MIRACLE posted:

Didn't they demo an op1 with a projector built in a while back? That seemed sweet

That's the OP-Z, which seems more like a step sequencer using Pocket Operator sounds.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
More importantly there's a beta firmware that supposedly adds zerocrossing detection in and finally takes care of clicks in the tape recorder. Dunno if I'd jump back in though.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
It's great standalone - after a two month buyer's remorse period it clicked and it's a fantastic tool. That being said, it integrates with precisely none of my setup, and while I loved it as my first synth, since adding a Monomachine I don't use it nearly as often. The new beta firmware helps, since the presets are better, and with time I've made or accumulated the "best" sounds for my purposes which helps.

Treated as something self-contained and it's a fun tool since there's nothing quite like it on the market. If you're looking at something to integrate into a larger setup your money is probably better spent elsewhere, to be honest - most of my musician friends who have played around with it have come to the same conclusion. It's fun, they all want it, but its cost is a barrier, and I think if I hadn't bought it before buying anything else I wouldn't own one.

I think my favourite thing is that there's no "right" way to use it. Everyone seems to do something different with it when I let them explore.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

MrSargent posted:

Kontrol S gives you a great keybed and a pretty versatile controller, as well as Komplete select. You can do many things with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I wanted more sequencers for my eurorack setup, and after spending a while building a spreadsheet comparing features, price, and what I wanted it for, I ended up just getting another SQ-1. I really want the Metropolis, but the SQ-1 is at such a great price for what you get.