Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Real hurthling! posted:

is it? its not

The pop-in says it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

all consoles have pop in

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Inacio posted:

Yeah, no loving clue why they didn't just go with Vulkan. Would lower the entry barrier considerably, but then again:
• AAAs don't really need a super commonplace, well documented API

They would benefit from the existing ecosystem Vulkan provides though, like the validation layers and tools, all of which are continuously evolving and being improved.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Two important questions I have about the Switch
A. Are they going to have this be both the home console and mobile device, or am I gonna have to buy another new mobile console in a few years to play Pokemon/FireEmblem/MH/SMT
B. How long until the New Nintendo Switch 3DXL comes out

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Cojawfee posted:

I want whatever it is that you are describing. If I can play all my old favorite nintendo games as virtual console or whatever on the go, I'm down for Nintendo Switch.

I'm pretty sure I remember an interview of a big Nintendo man who was saying they were working on that thing while at the same time acknowledging Wii-U's issues. Can someone help?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

A. Are they going to have this be both the home console and mobile device, or am I gonna have to buy another new mobile console in a few years to play Pokemon/FireEmblem/MH/SMT

Nintendo is testing the waters again like they did with the DS calling it a third pillar so that'll depend on how successful it is.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

B. How long until the New Nintendo Switch 3DXL comes out

nintendo is unifying their development stream into one console

18 months

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

nintendo is unifying their development stream into one console

18 months

Wouldn't it be ironic if we get progressive hardware refreshes faster than the other two consoles. Its just a tablet (with an amazing library\IP behind it) and the pace of mobile tech has gone so far in just a few years.

Just buy the tablet and keep the dock.

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

Any confirmation on 4K video streaming? (Not 4K games, of course!)

From the dev leak earlier in the thread it can do 4k30p, but not 60.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
This seems neat.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Well...at least it has a better name than its two predecessors.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i'm neutral on the name but its a good improvement over wii u, which i thought was a brain age style game for a long time like "wii university"

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Ah yes, a Chinese-only game not developed by Capcom. That's indicative of the Monster Hunter quality.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Switch announcement video was filmed outside my place and I didn't even notice.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Ah yes, a Chinese-only game not developed by Capcom. That's indicative of the Monster Hunter quality.

It is

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Meanwhile, in the latest main worldwide release:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I am a child of the South so I will always associate the Nintendo Switch as the Nintendo Child Abuse

Still better than Wii or Wii U tbh

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Gutcruncher posted:

We can probably assume there's no touchscreen, but is there evidence of motion control?

Just Dance 2017 has been confirmed for NX. Never played one of those, but aren't motion controls central to them?

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
I watch videos by this guy specifically to hear him flip the gently caress out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SaQ9kJV8w0

lmao dude needs to chill out big time. They probably have to cover their asses for legal reasons for the time being, until the game is absolutely guaranteed to come out, or it can be seen as false advertisement.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

xedo posted:

Just Dance 2017 has been confirmed for NX. Never played one of those, but aren't motion controls central to them?

They also use smart phones as controllers now IIRC

But just because there's no native motion controls doesn't mean a third party can't make some

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Smythe posted:

:stare: did you say RAM? :troll: *takes off sunglasses* (Hope iot's the right da,mn kind) :dukedoge:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5uik5fgIaI

This is a pretty drat good commercial, of due note. This is maybe the "hippest" message Nintendo has tried to go for and I actually think this commercial very nicely communicates the idea of this effectively mobile HD console. They demonstrate a whole bunch of different ways you could utilize the hardware and I have to say, provided it works even remotely as smoothly as is portrayed, that's a pretty impressive move. The Game Gear attempted to one-up Nintendo ages past by aping itself as an effectively portable version of a whole console, but technology just wasn't there yet. Nintendo now seems to think that it has.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I hope you can hook up an external hard drive for DLC

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Anidav posted:

I hope you can hook up an external hard drive for DLC

Or even a game because 32GB, the gently caress.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

I keep thinking of not only new games, but all the titles this thing could easily make portable. Resident Evil 4/5. Street Fighter 4. The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth +. All the sweet Wii U exclusives I never got to play, like Smash 4 and Bayonetta. I really cannot wait for this.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Games on cartridges generally don't have to be installed.

Although if they want downloadables...

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Has there been any news of when Amazon is going to open their pre-orders up? Been stuck at work all day.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

TheManSeries posted:

Has there been any news of when Amazon is going to open their pre-orders up? Been stick at work all day.

Probably not until they have a price. They don't normally open up preorders until then. I wouldn't expect it until the direct that announces the price.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

TheManSeries posted:

Has there been any news of when Amazon is going to open their pre-orders up? Been stuck at work all day.

Not yet, most likely after their next presentation, which might be in the next week or two.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Zaphod42 posted:

I think he was referring to downloading full games from their online store.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

So, is there any way to play in gamepad mode while also hooked up to the TV? Or are they just abandoning the entire DS, 3DS and WiiU library? Is the 2 screen era coming to an end?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

F. Lobot posted:

So, is there any way to play in gamepad mode while also hooked up to the TV? Or are they just abandoning the entire DS, 3DS and WiiU library? Is the 2 screen era coming to an end?

There's been no mention of backwards compatibility so don't keep your hopes up. Again, we'll have to wait for the direct when they talk more about it.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Speaking of, that full Direct has to be December or January right? We're not getting anything soon I wager.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

F. Lobot posted:

I don't think it will utilize two screens. That innovation with a TV aren't as great as having both easily within sight like the DS & 3DS.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Speaking of, that full Direct has to be December or January right? We're not getting anything soon I wager.

my guess is not till february 29th

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

There will all but certainly be some sort of virtual console. Looks like the DS platform ends here.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Zaphod42 posted:

What if the switch let's you flash dlc to cartridges?

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

The trailer showed the Switch being used as an ordinary tablet without Joypads so I'm hopeful that it would obviously have a touchscreen.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Is there a good reason for it not to have a microSD card slot? 200GB microSD cards exist, and that should a bunch of downloaded games.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

Is there a good reason for it not to have a microSD card slot? 200GB microSD cards exist, and that should a bunch of downloaded games.

It does have an SD card slot according to leaked specs.

Apparently I'm wrong! (For now)

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Has the #1 goon question been answered/discussed?

Will this fit in jean pockets?

• Locked thread