Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I am so glad I passed on that particular low hanging fruit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Choosing comics to buy based on this thread has been working pretty great so far (though only 2 out of 2). Been going through Superior Foes, and I gotta say Captain rear end in a top hat is a real boomerang. :australia:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

Yup. And Batman is the lady from Birdemic.

Lois is Mandy Moore

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

mind the walrus posted:

So Tippy-Toe is just being drawn as though he's in shadow? I thought it was a reference to the fact that a lot of squirrels up north are black and she had a local on her shoulder:

As a Canadian, I have never seen a black squirrel, and was entirely unaware of their status as "a Canadian thing." They must not like the prairies.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

So you're saying black squirrels congregate around urban centers roaming the streets?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I live about 10 miles from Boston and I've seen black squirrels around here over recent years, though it's mostly grays.

mind the walrus posted:

So you're saying black squirrels congregate around urban centers roaming the streets?

Suburbanite black squirrels. Then again I've seen groups of wild turkeys about... three times? In the past couple years after having never seen a live turkey in my life. So what the gently caress animals just do whatever they want I guess.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Chaos Hippy posted:

As a Canadian, I have never seen a black squirrel, and was entirely unaware of their status as "a Canadian thing." They must not like the prairies.

From what I can tell online they don't really live west of Ontario. In Toronto at least, black squirrels are by far the largest segment of the squirrel population

Snackmar fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 20, 2016

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

There are cities in the prairies. Not many of them, but they exist, devoid of black squirrels. Based on what techknight said, it must be an Eastern thing. I didn't see any when I was in the vicinity of Lake Superior in May, so it might be a Northeastern thing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

techknight posted:

From what I can tell online they don't really live west of Ontario. In Toronto at least, black squirrels are by far the largest segment of the squirrel population

And any downtown Torontonian will tell you about the iconic and rare white squirrel!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

We have black squirrels here in D.C. that we got from Canada. They're the same species as the grey ones, they just have a recessive gene that turns them black. They're somewhere between 10 and 25% of the population here. The species is really only in the eastern portion of the continent, so if you're in western Canada, you probably don't see them.

Content:

Mockingbird #8

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Endless Mike posted:

There are, in fact, many Canadian black squirrels in the issue, but that is Tippy-Toe who is neither black nor Canadian. I think the coloring is just a bit off in that panel.

Also we have black squirrels here in DC, too. Something like 10% of the local population are black, and they can breed with the brown squirrels.

There are black squirrels in Michigan as well, although I can count the number I've seen on one hand.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Endless Mike posted:

We have black squirrels here in D.C. that we got from Canada. They're the same species as the grey ones, they just have a recessive gene that turns them black. They're somewhere between 10 and 25% of the population here. The species is really only in the eastern portion of the continent, so if you're in western Canada, you probably don't see them.

Content:

Mockingbird #8

Are those... superhero LARPers???

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yes. Mockingbird is doing a mission on a cruise ship where a nerd convention is happening and they fight ninjas and skeleton pirates and it is amazing and this book got cancelled because every really good book loving does

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Who What Now posted:

There are black squirrels in Michigan as well, although I can count the number I've seen on one hand.

Town in Michigan I grew up in, nothing but black squirrels. Town I live in now, just twenty miles away, none to be seen.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Infamous Iron Man #1

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 21, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
How is BENDIS spoiling the end of his own event comic? Like... how does that happen? (Oh please, like the Tony AI isn't because he's braindead or dead-dead.)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Having a Tony AI backup was used on Superior Iron Man a bit ago and I'm guessing that's not even the first or even second time that's happened.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Having a Tony AI backup was used on Superior Iron Man a bit ago and I'm guessing that's not even the first or even second time that's happened.

Iron Man: Hypervelocity is mini-series by Adam Warren centered around a prototype Iron Man suit with a copy of Tony's personality in it that gets framed for the attempted murder of Tony Stark.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Why can't he just be Dr. Victorious or w/e instead of having to take up the name of another dude that he never really interacted with prior to Secret Wars anyhow?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

Yes. Mockingbird is doing a mission on a cruise ship where a nerd convention is happening and they fight ninjas and skeleton pirates and it is amazing and this book got cancelled because every really good book loving does
To be fair they don't fight the skeleton pirates.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Because Johnny Storm will sue the poo poo out of him if he calls himself Mr. Fantastic.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

Why can't he just be Dr. Victorious or w/e instead of having to take up the name of another dude that he never really interacted with prior to Secret Wars anyhow?

A lot of people talked about Superior Spider-Man.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pureauthor posted:

He's been helping and tagging along Tony on the Iron Man series so this has been kinda leading towards this.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Pureauthor posted:

Because that wouldn't be a dick move.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

howe_sam posted:

Town in Michigan I grew up in, nothing but black squirrels. Town I live in now, just twenty miles away, none to be seen.

Yeah, Michigan is weird. Like, the lawn critters are territorial. In Battle Creek, there's tons of black squirrels, but very little else of that kind of animal. I grew up like, 15 miles west of there, and it's all chipmunks instead.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

How is BENDIS spoiling the end of his own event comic? Like... how does that happen? (Oh please, like the Tony AI isn't because he's braindead or dead-dead.)

The issue of CW2 where this happens was supposed to be out weeks ago. I believe the entire series in a full 7 weeks behind schedule and that was before they added an issue. Marvel can not delay their entire publishing schedule because one series is running late. This happened with the original CW and most recently Secret Wars.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Gaz-L posted:

Bendis doesn't control the publishing logistics. I assume that they planned for the CW 2 event to be finished before the new books, but the changed it for some reason.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Decius posted:

Bendis doesn't control the publishing logistics. I assume that they planned for the CW 2 event to be finished before the new books, but the changed it for some reason.

As I said above, CW2 is running extremely late and they can not delay their planned publishing schedule to avoid spoilers being revealed.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Wasn't this the exact same case with Secret Wars?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fuego Fish posted:

Yup. I also said that above. :D

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah but people enjoyed Secret Wars :v:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Rhyno posted:

Yup. I also said that above. :D

My reading comprehension is poo poo at 5am, I guess! Have some funny panels from Captain America Comics #2.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I've said this before but I've always been a little amused about how Hitler in 30s and 40s media is like...this funny buffoon instead of someone who's name is widely regarded as a synonym for "evil".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Making your enemy look pathetic and laughable is a lot more effective than making them look supremely evil and powerful.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Also it wasn't until fairly late in the war the Allies realized just how bad the Nazi's really were. We knew about the atrocities, but until they actually started finding the camps it didn't really hit home.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I know both of those things, I'm just saying, it's kinda funny in retrospect.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ImpAtom posted:

Making your enemy look pathetic and laughable is a lot more effective than making them look supremely evil and powerful.

What was it Mel Brooks said? I will ridicule them until their ideas cease to have power. It was like that Lions terrorist movie that showed them as bumbling incompetents. Make those with horrid beliefs and ideas seem laughable. Do not give them the power of being feared and compelling, simply make them as a joke.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Fuego Fish posted:

If I remember correctly Civil War I had delays that caused Spider-Man books to have put a disclaimer at the front saying "this take place after book we haven't published yet," though in fairness that was because Mark Millar almost died.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

WickedHate posted:

I know both of those things, I'm just saying, it's kinda funny in retrospect.

The best anti Hitler movie would never have come out if the truth was known. Charlie Chaplin has said "Had I known of the actual horrors of the German concentration camps, I could not have made The Great Dictator, I could not have made fun of the homicidal insanity of the Nazis."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

The best anti Hitler movie would never have come out if the truth was known. Charlie Chaplin has said "Had I known of the actual horrors of the German concentration camps, I could not have made The Great Dictator, I could not have made fun of the homicidal insanity of the Nazis."

Excuse me sir but I think you'll find it's much more powerful when you lay melodramatic Nolantunes over it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8HdOHrc3OQ