Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

it's not really stockholm syndrome. if you guys don't mind entirely too much real talk, i feel like i need to explain myself since i come off as waffling so much.

these are the facts of my situation:
1)i have no official computer science degree (my degree was major in poetry composition with minors in philosophy and photography).
2) my wife and i have >75k in student debt and own a house here.
3) my first 4 years here were as a technical writer and its only via epic paying for tuition that i was able to transition into the programming role for the last year.
4) if i leave epic before 3 years after a tuition reimbursement, i have to pay back that tuition reimbursement. we have practically no savings because as i mentioned above we had worthless jobs before and lots of debt. if i were to leave now, i'd owe them $5500.
5) my 5-year sabbatical is coming up, which i'd gladly give up for a better job, but they make you buy the plane tickets and hotel rooms in advance before they'll reimburse you the cost, which is already done, so now ive got $4000 worth of airfare and hotel rooms paid for that i cant get refunded on if i cancel the trip and meanwhile ive already been taxed for the reimbursement from epic.
6) im transgender which severely restricts which markets i feel safe looking for jobs in because, frankly, people like me get beat up and murdered constantly in some places and in others they want to put me in man jail for going peepee in the ladies' room.
7) my wife's job is also in madison so she would basically have to quit and find a new job if we had to move.

so i have a loving shitload of insecurities weighing me down on the one side. on the other side, i make $80,000 a year here, and when the transfer eventually happens i will be looking at $110,000 as my new base salary. talking to some folks via PMs, even the bigger companies won't compete with that for someone with my rather limited experience.

on top of that i then have the fear demons in my head going "what if i move and have no idea what im doing and suck and get fired and i gave up a safe job to try to be an engineer on the west coast and now my whole life is hosed".

some of these problems are my own fault (being stupid in college, but who isn't?), and some of these are obviously carefully constructed by epic to make me feel trapped here. but the result is it feels really difficult to try to make a leap to another job unless it's going to pay really well and be fairly okay with the inevitable long settling-in it will take for me to get up to speed with tools and ecosystems that aren't total poo poo.

i'm basically trapped in a position where i can't take too big a risk or the big pile of debt will crush me. this is how corporate america controls its workers, and its working wonders on me.

anyway, back to funney computer, sorry for the dump.

can i interest you in a recruiter contact who will definitely get you interviews at real good companies in the bay area regardless of your background and whose bonus alone for taking a job through them (nevermind any additional signing bonuses, which you can trivially negotiate, especially to cover something like tuition repayment)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

like worst case be interviewing and take free regular trips to frisco

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

i wonder how slow trying to access my LAN on my Atari connected to my PC via PPP and a 19.2k serial link would be

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

probably around 19200baud

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

when I was a childe I thought the 56k modem downloaded so slow because 53k was for uploading and 3k was for downloading

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

why those numbers

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

because junk downloaded at ~3kB/sec and I didn't get the difference between 56kB and 56000bps

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

oh lol nice

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Luigi Thirty posted:

because junk downloaded at ~3kB/sec and I didn't get the difference between 56kB and 56000bps

:3:

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the fancy PL features i tend to use are boring safe ones like generics. my thinking is that if i get real cute with something i will probably forget how it works, so the choice is between writing a big wall of documentation for the cute bit or just doing it a dumb regular way
generics are too exciting for some people

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Shaggar posted:

since .net doesn't have anything to do w/ office and the users are devs, its mostly ok. there are still significant problems with .net (ex: MSBuild, EntityFramework), but only developers see them so nobody cares.
i recently was automating build stuff and was trying to get msbuild to work b/c that's what msdn recommended. after wasting like a day I discovered that to recreate a build like in visual studio I needed to use devenv.com /build.

thanks microsoft

thankrosoft

edit: also those builds that caused issues SUCCEEDED the msbuild compilation while not accurately replicating the visual studio build

comedyblissoption fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 21, 2016

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Bloody posted:

I've been doing this for 10+ years.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Bloody posted:

can i interest you in a recruiter contact who will definitely get you interviews at real good companies in the bay area regardless of your background and whose bonus alone for taking a job through them (nevermind any additional signing bonuses, which you can trivially negotiate, especially to cover something like tuition repayment)

text me (pm me)

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i watched this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzA2YODtgK4 and learned how to create links into files with org mode and holy poo poo this is going to change my life.

drat I think it's time for me to switch over to spacemacs.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
this is pronounced like the doctor in 30 rock

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

VikingofRock posted:

drat I think it's time for me to switch over to spacemacs.

do it. i made the switch from vim less than a year ago and it's great. evil mode is great. emacs is great.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i would happily purchase a "honk if you love emacs' bumper sticker and proudly display it on the back of my car

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

anthonypants posted:

this is pronounced like the doctor in 30 rock

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

i've got my org file in a persistent buffer now as i'm working through all this garbage code. code links pull up the code in a buffer. html links pop up the link in html. drat.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
spacemacs is cool but their development model is completely loving bonkers and some of the included layers are total overkill for most people, even super basic ones. oh and poo poo is frequently broken as hell after an update.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Luigi Thirty posted:

i wonder how slow trying to access my LAN on my Atari connected to my PC via PPP and a 19.2k serial link would be

probably just fine for the things you can actually do on your Atari

like if Radium 2.0 can make the new forums work with an auth system that would let us put an NNTP server in front of them, you'd be able to read and post just fine

though you might have to hack CommonMark support into whatever newsreader was available on Atari

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Bloody posted:

also when LMO comes out here for an interview maybe we can have another Bay Area goonmeet

(and you too Bloody, and others)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

do it. i made the switch from vim less than a year ago and it's great. evil mode is great. emacs is great.

just wait until you try not using archaic modal editing

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

eschaton posted:

just wait until you try not using archaic modal editing

modal editing is good<esc>

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

leper khan posted:

modal editing is good^[

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

eschaton posted:

also when LMO comes out here for an interview maybe we can have another Bay Area goonmeet

(and you too Bloody, and others)

take me for good general tso chicken. chinese food in madison blows

bloody's recruiter claims i aced the rest hard enough to skip their technical screen. i will have to try hard not to burn any vacation as impromptu "gently caress this" days for the rest of the year. unless sf companies do weekend interviews

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

what is modal editing? is that the thing in vim where you switch between "typing stuff" mode and "enter commands" mode? cuz that always struck me as simply a necessary design choice to make a terminal-based editor with lots of options nonpainful to interact with. all that stuff would be in menus and dialogs (with appropriate hot keys for power users) in an ide

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I have no AltGr key and I must save

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

what is modal editing? is that the thing in vim where you switch between "typing stuff" mode and "enter commands" mode? cuz that always struck me as simply a necessary design choice to make a terminal-based editor with lots of options nonpainful to interact with. all that stuff would be in menus and dialogs (with appropriate hot keys for power users) in an ide

ya it's that. the alternative is literal hand breaking key combos like emacs which is just dumb and bad like emacs and emacs users

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

also hard tabs are good and your operating system is a piece of poo poo

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

cool bad opinions, bloody.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Bloody posted:

also hard tabs are good and your operating system is a piece of poo poo

*prints ur code*

"hello it's 1990 time for a code review"

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i like emacs. xah lee recommends not binding caps lock to control and instead you hit ctrl with your palm.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
emacs and vi are both terrible

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

org mode seems cool but nothing in my life is important enough to write down

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

hifi posted:

org mode seems cool but nothing in my life is important enough to write down

no, you write it down because nothing in your life is important enough to remember.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

terrible prgrammer: the last thing i wrote down was a picture of how 4 bytes turned into 3 b64 characters with a picture of how you shift and mask the parts of the bytes and i realized each byte i was using was actually just half a byte so i had to fix all that code

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

okay im installing spacemacs because 1) i hate myself 2) everyone i work with is an emacs user and idk that doesnt really matter does it

i tend to have a real bad time with 'install this thing that is already full of magic' though, i only know what the christ is going on when i have to figure it out the hard way usually :ohdear:

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.

hifi posted:

i like emacs. xah lee recommends not binding caps lock to control and instead you hit ctrl with your palm.

Everyone doesn't do this already since having Ctrl in the corner :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

mekkanare posted:

Everyone doesn't do this already since having Ctrl in the corner :confused:

i can't parse this sentence

• Locked thread