Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
"Mmmmm... this flavour is very distinctive. What did you use for the smoke?"

"91 Octane run through a messed-with Miata"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Oh man, if we still had SCH, it would be perfect to spin that rotisserie.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

McTinkerson posted:

Oh man, if we still had SCH, it would be perfect to spin that rotisserie.

would it have enough torque though?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

If you haven't already made the changes, how about a cheap rear end drill? Cost next to nothing, reasonable torque, variable speed and if it dies after a couple hours throw a new one on.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

My neighbour brought over a huge sprocket (like 40cm across) and a motor with a gearbox on it that his company used to use for pig roasting. It still spun too fast, like 20 rpm. So after we wasted 5 or 6 hours we went back to my gearbox and his gearmotor and just c-clamped poo poo together. Works perfectly. Spins at exactly the right speed now.

Also welded support gussets for the motor mounts.

I was super close to trying 12v through the old 48v motor, but even that spun pretty quick, and with such low voltage it lost a lot of torque..

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Glad it works. Can you hang that old gearmotor upside down to get the cord away from the heat?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Not easily, I'd have to cut a bunch out of the supports. We're going to make some heat shields to help mitigate that.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I think it would have been awesome if you just had 4 jump packs hooked up in series to power that DC motor. Opportunity lost!

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Eh, I'd have just used the tractor power pack. But yeah that's a good image.

So I just got an awesome text.

"Hey, uh, that 150 pound pig you ordered? Yeah we accidentally cut it in half."

WHAT? MOTHER FUCKER THIS IS NOT WHAT I WANT TO HEAR TWO DAYS BEFORE MY EVENT

"Uh but we have a 180 pounder you can have instead."

Well poo poo, I guess it's good I way overbuilt this thing. Sure hope it can handle it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
WELCOME TO THE BUNGLE

WE GOT ENORMOUS HOGS

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

:psyduck:

That is a very very large animal...

Edit: Due to the entire bed of my truck being full of spare FC parts for 1500, I obviously will have to take the truck down on Saturday. Assuming we can find a surface that won't burn off my winters, everyone in attendance is welcome to hoon it.

1500: You are taking everything BTW. When I drive back home, the bed WILL be empty. What you do with all the spares is entirely up to you.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 20, 2016

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

1500: if you need a place to stash those parts during ferrying trips home, my garage is at your disposal.

I will keep 10% of them as payment.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

That'd be much appreciated as I'm going to need to find some space in my place and I don't think I'd be able to get everything down in one go.

Also sounds like I'm taking the Scirocco as that's got the most available space at the moment.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

That'd be much appreciated as I'm going to need to find some space in my place and I don't think I'd be able to get everything down in one go.

Also sounds like I'm taking the Scirocco as that's got the most available space at the moment.

I am confident that all the parts will fit in the FC - the wiper-less hatch is half of it. We could swap that one right away.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm still a little on the fence with the wiper less hatch just because the shallow angle has made it a bit more useful versus the Scirocco's since the water doesn't fall off. I can take it though if it's going in the trash otherwise and re evaluate in spring.

The appearance of the FC is going to be down to the size of my balls and the weather. I don't think that thing is going to be pleasant driving on that highway with the rear suspension and passive rear bushings shot. Also I'm still breaking the motor in so it'd be keeping it under 5k and shifting between third, fourth and fifth every 30 seconds.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 20, 2016

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Do you have the bushings yet?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Yup, just not the time or energy to put it in. The shocks are blown too so the entire rear end is going to be a winter project.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Slung Blade posted:

So I just got an awesome text.

"Hey, uh, that 150 pound pig you ordered? Yeah we accidentally cut it in half."

WHAT? MOTHER FUCKER THIS IS NOT WHAT I WANT TO HEAR TWO DAYS BEFORE MY EVENT

Well poo poo, I guess it's good I way overbuilt this thing. Sure hope it can handle it.
Wohoo 30lbs more roasted pork!

Just noticed the V-belt drive feeding the second gearbox. I don't know what your HP/RPM coming out of that borrowed gearmotor is, but you'd typically want to go with a sprocket and chain off that due to the potential torque.

If you tell me your motor HP and output speed and what you're trying to use for a belt and sheaves, I can tell you if you should be fine or not.

That said, I have faith in your roaster wizardry :science:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
You should probably have someone climb in there to test it.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Scrap heap challenge taught me that the window motors out of a 80's Chrysler can are exceptionally strong

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

jamal posted:

You should probably have someone climb in there to test it.

We tried but I am too light to be a realistic proxy for the hog.

Also it gets really warm in there for some reason. Might have been all the fire.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Well, we've had an unconfirmed #SweetChiliHeat sighting in the wild. A friend sent me a shaky, blurry video from the Henday but the sound was unmistakable

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

DrakeriderCa posted:

Well, we've had an unconfirmed #SweetChiliHeat sighting in the wild. A friend sent me a shaky, blurry video from the Henday but the sound was unmistakable

It's like the Cloverfield monster.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

:siren: THE PIG IS ROTATING

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

PICS NEEDED FOR POSTERITY

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

The more or less completed Pork Of the Covenant.

Vents!

RIP, Piggly.

First fire.

Roastin temp.

Maybe a little high, this thing holds heat way better than I expected given the volume and complete lack of airtightness.

Tried running it with the lid on for a couple hours. A few minor grease fires stopped that though.

Doesn't matter, it's cooking pretty nicely.

Got a decent little setup going here.

I'm going to grab as much sleep as possible before getting back out there, another team is taking their shift now.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

God drat man, that is a thing of beauty! Wish I could be there.

Have an awesome day Lordship.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
We're going hog wild.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Pretty sure you could rent that thing out and make some decent cash.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

It's magnificent! God drat, I can't wait.

I'll be leaving Edmonton at 12-1230. If anyone needs any small items brought down or wants a ride, let me know.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Slungblade's pig was just awesome

Thanks to McTinkerson for giving me half a RX7

Shame on Switch for trying to tempt me with a 5 cylinder Eurovan

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Holy gently caress I'm going to sleep for a week.

Thanks for coming you guys, great seeing you all.

Chips: sorry I missed you leaving man, people needed my attention.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I missed the pig roast gently caress this I'm going to Cancun.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

That was an excellent evening indeed, thanks for inviting us out Slung Blade!

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

MrChips posted:

That was an excellent evening indeed, thanks for inviting us out Slung Blade!

Seconding that! It was amazing and I'm glad I drove down. I am sorry that no one got to meet the puppy. Both him and the wife wished they could have made it.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Don't have many pictures from yesterday, things went pretty quick once we pulled the pig out.

We used birch chunks to brace it inside the cage. I'm going to have to work out something better for next time, and I do have a little leftover stainless bar.

Once we removed from heat, we started cutting it up with knives, but that was too slow, and it was so tender I just started ripping it apart with my bare hands, like a huge pulled pork dinner. I worked at it so long my fingertips got pruney in the hog juices.

It tasted pretty drat good, imo. Townsfolk all seemed to enjoy it. We had 5 times the normal population of town in attendance if I recall correctly.

It was a fuckton of work, money, and stress, but it was all worth it in the end.

The eye and cheek tasted amazing.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I have begun fighting the war against the dealerships

The First Great Price Battle ended today in a draw but I yearn for the blood of the Hyundaiman and I will taste it tomorrow

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Good luck Drake, don't take any poo poo from those fuckers.

I tallied up all the stuff I had receipts for after building the roaster.
1800 dollars :stonk: (900 of that being stainless for the cage)

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

My taste buds and stomach say it was worth it :black101:

Seriously though, food grade stainless is loving expensive and you did an incredible job.

Drake: Keep us in the loop on the Hyundai shenanigans. Shame that the Lincoln spoiled you guys so much though, this taking a pile of fun poo poo boxes off the table.

Edit: phone posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

McTinkerson posted:

Drake: Keep us in the loop on the Hyundai shenanigans. Shame that the Lincoln spoiled you guys so much though, this taking a pile of fun poo poo boxes off the table.

Agreed. :argh: