Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Annointed posted:

Did I say he did say those things in this video?
No, but if you’re going to accuse someone of something as bad as that you should at least offer an example of what you’re talking about. I assumed that that there would be such an example in that video since that was the one that was linked.

I agree that he has many, many problems as a critic, but I don’t think being an MRA is one of them, from what I've seen of his show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
New Monster Madness from James Rolfe on the 1977 House https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp_ZCuZHVtk

loving everyone needs to see this needs to see this, I can't praise Hausu enough. It's easily still one of my favorite movies ever.

Bakeneko posted:

No, but if you’re going to accuse someone of something as bad as that you should at least offer an example of what you’re talking about. I assumed that that there would be such an example in that video since that was the one that was linked.

I agree that he has many, many problems as a critic, but I don’t think being an MRA is one of them, from what I've seen of his show.

He's gone on about his politics a bit in other Family Guy videos and one Simpsons review but nothing I'd really call MRA poo poo exactly, just maybe slightly askew right but nothing truly offensively terrible.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Todd reviews Shawn Mendes's hit "Treat You Better"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHOGstXeOhI

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
What are odds that Spoony will make a Halloween special video?

The new Angry Video Game Nerd episode is pretty good - I liked it more than the last one.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I like new AVGN. But I'm a nerd who enjoys meta-humor.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

OldMemes posted:

What are odds that Spoony will make a video?

Spoonwatch: 1350 on patreon

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Tired Moritz posted:

As much as I like the simpler charm of the Halloween and Texas Chainsaw Masscare type Halloween episodes, I do like how Rolfe has evolved the show and the character to keep it fresh. It felt more Board James-esque this time.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Violet_Sky posted:

Thankfully for Todd, fedoralords generally do not listen to Shawn Mendes

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

OldMemes posted:

What are odds that Spoony will make a Halloween special video?

Zero to none. Firing Line is still blocked by a specious and he hasn't even managed to rectify that. Hell he's gone radio silent on Twitter again so honestly at this point I'd just call the guy retired.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkAd4XWwNos
RedLetterMedia New Rogue One Video Watch.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Tired Moritz posted:

I was kind of rolling my eyes at the whole Berenstain Bears meme thing, but he brought me back on board with the "Bloodstain Bears" reveal.

Fossilized Rappy
Dec 26, 2012

Violet_Sky posted:

drat, Todd went straight for the throat with that one and it's glorious. When was the last time he reviewed a song that he was this merciless on?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Fossilized Rappy posted:

drat, Todd went straight for the throat with that one and it's glorious. When was the last time he reviewed a song that he was this merciless on?

I feel like most of his actual Pop Song Reviews over the past couple years have been pretty vicious. He only really reviews contemporary stuff now if it's something he's got a strong opinion on, compared to when he got started where he'd review anything that hit #1.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
So is Mrbtongue dead as gently caress or something?
I need more video essay channels

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Also with the new RLM I appreciate them continually appealing to the alt right (ie people sad enough to actually comment on YouTube videos) by implying any multidiversity is by corporate fiat or for the drat chinaman markets
Sieg veal

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Oct 21, 2016

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Fossilized Rappy posted:

Good on him cause every time this loving song comes on the radio I think "wow what a creepy weirdo, put this on the pile with other creepy weirdo songs people don't seem to realize is creepy and weird"

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Also with the new RLM I appreciate them continually appealing to the alt right (ie people sad enough to actually comment on YouTube videos) by implying any multidiversity is by corporate fiat or for the drat chinaman markets
Sieg veal

Yeah, I also hated how they started championing green screen and overabundance of CG usage in that video, too!
It's almost like it's sarcastic or something.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Canada only exports its shittiest musicians.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

DStecks posted:

Canada only exports its shittiest musicians.

Yes but they wouldn't let Snow leave the country so what does that say about who they keep?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Beefstew posted:

Yeah, I also hated how they started championing green screen and overabundance of CG usage in that video, too!
It's almost like it's sarcastic or something.
yah they were super sarcastic about us not needing characters of color In Star Wars movies cuz take it from me this black kid looks happy playing with the toys he's got!!!

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

yah they were super sarcastic about us not needing characters of color In Star Wars movies cuz take it from me this black kid looks happy playing with the toys he's got!!!

Are you the person in my junior high English class who read A Modest Proposal and spent the entire time hollering about how Jonathan Swift was being totally unreasonable?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Beefstew posted:

Are you the person in my junior high English class who read A Modest Proposal and spent the entire time hollering about how Jonathan Swift was being totally unreasonable?
I'm the dude in your junior high English class who held you down and wiped my boogers on your face
Soz mate

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Yes but they wouldn't let Snow leave the country so what does that say about who they keep?

Hey man you take that back, else we're gonna licky boom boom down.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Beefstew posted:

if you think that part of the plinket review was sarcasm I guess I'd be that dude in english class laughing in your face

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Goddamn some of you people just can't get out of the eternal tizzy over the stupid poo poo plinkett review that was and still is the weakest and least interesting of any of their output.

Also using that dumb character in general to uncover the horrible truth that they're really woman hating MRA alt-right nazi mouthpieces or something I don't know by this point anymore.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Oct 21, 2016

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
man I can't wait for white genocide to kick in. We'll have like five new Star Wars movies until then.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I have to admit, when Todd mentioned a song by a woman who thinks a guy should date her instead of his current girlfriend I really expected Avril Lavigne.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Yardbomb posted:

Goddamn some of you people just can't get out of the eternal tizzy over the stupid poo poo plinkett review that was and still is the weakest and least interesting of any of their output.

Also using that dumb character in general to uncover the horrible truth that they're really woman hating MRA alt-right nazi mouthpieces or something I don't know by this point anymore.

or you could just accept that some people think their diversity argument was bullshit instead of being a dumbass

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
star wars was a mistake.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

star wars was a mistake.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Burn Down The Sandcastle Internet Critic Thread

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

cat doter posted:

or you could just accept that some people think their diversity argument was bullshit instead of being a dumbass

It was bullshit because the plinkett stuff is dumb bullshit pretty well all over, do show me where I said otherwise. It just feels like a big circle of nothing that people wanna keep going back to the dumbest and least interesting of any of the stuff they make, it was stupid, plinkett as a skit is stupid, we've said it's stupid, people have previously agreed it's stupid. I'm not actually getting onto anyone in particular or trying to take RLM's side or something, it's just turning into one of those groanworthy arguments.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Oct 21, 2016

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Most unchill.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Yardbomb posted:

It was bullshit because the plinkett stuff is dumb bullshit pretty well all over, do show me where I said otherwise. It just feels like a big circle of nothing that people wanna keep going back to the dumbest and least interesting of any of the stuff they make, it was stupid, plinkett as a skit is stupid, we've said it's stupid, people have previously agreed it's stupid. I'm not actually getting onto anyone in particular or trying to take RLM's side or something, it's just turning into one of those groanworthy arguments.

that the argument was couched in their plinkett character is irrelevant, it's representative of intellectually lazy arguments they've made and continue to make, like in their latest video!

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

cat doter posted:

that the argument was couched in their plinkett character is irrelevant, it's representative of intellectually lazy arguments they've made and continue to make, like in their latest video!

The latest video that is a satire of hype machines and the positive and negative press they generate? How loving dumb are you?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Where is the satire of Plinkett loving his cat?

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Leal posted:

Where is the satire of Plinkett loving his cat?

Clearly Mike Stoklasa is an irl cat fucker

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

It was obviously a parody of all the clickbait Rogue One speculation videos and articles that have been cropping up, so it’s safe to say you shouldn’t take anything in it seriously. They did a similar one for The Force Awakens last year.

On the subject of critics evolving and changing their styles, I’d like to express my appreciation for the new direction Halloweenie has gone in this year. Switching up the format like that and adding new characters could easily have failed if the writing wasn’t up to the task, but I’d say it’s funnier than ever even without the pretence of reviewing anything. It helps that the new co-stars actually do a really good job and get funny moments of their own, rather than feeling shoehorned in like it often does when reviewers go for more elaborate skits and storylines.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Bakeneko posted:

It was obviously a parody of all the clickbait Rogue One speculation videos and articles that have been cropping up, so it’s safe to say you shouldn’t take anything in it seriously. They did a similar one for The Force Awakens last year.

Confused satire isn't a new thing with RLM. In the prequel reviews Stoklasa-as-Plinkett complains that the modern commercialization of Star Wars is bad, unlike the old commercialization, which was innocent and pure. Now you might suppose that it's mocking nostalgia (even with the extent of the prequel merchandise, saying that it was fundamentally different before is horribly naive), but there's also an extended metaphor about Lucas becoming selling out to become a heartless capitalist tyrant like Charles Foster Kane. So unless that's also mock people who think that, it fits into a larger critical argument the reviews make.

Violet_Sky posted:

I remember Todd being interesting since he could explain music in a fairly down-to-earth way, but this seems to be stuck in being really mad at [thing].

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Oct 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Beefstew posted:

The latest video that is a satire of hype machines and the positive and negative press they generate? How loving dumb are you?

apparently dumb enough to realise they were implying the diversity in the film was forced and cynical, just like the exact same argument they've made previously, gently caress me right

• Locked thread