Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
The most horrifying thing about this new Dollop so far is that Dave uses a Zune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

rotinaj posted:

The most horrifying thing about this new Dollop so far is that Dave uses a Zune.

they are not bright men

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

a dollop where dave recounts gareth's life and gareth doesn't catch on until the last five minutes

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

rotinaj posted:

you can have my 120 when you pull it from my cold dead hands :colbert:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
There's no loving way Zunes still exist in the world
they were a loving fever dream

Berkeloid
Apr 30, 2010

rotinaj posted:

I haven't heard the most recent episode yet, but I'm guessing he actually said Zoom.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Tell that to the zune I have hooked up to my stereo system in my garage. Works like a champ

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

BELIEVE

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Berkeloid posted:

I haven't heard the most recent episode yet, but I'm guessing he actually said Zoom.

I retract my horror. That makes a lot more sense.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhIz2Dz_KEE

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Zunes are nice, well-built MP3 players and I can't help but wonder how many people who rag on them ever tried one. The whole project was obviously misguided but there was nothing wrong with the actual hardware.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Zunes are nice, well-built MP3 players and I can't help but wonder how many people who rag on them ever tried one. The whole project was obviously misguided but there was nothing wrong with the actual hardware.

The problem is that by the time they came out there really wasn't a demand for expensive stand-alone MP3 players anymore since smart phones were a thing.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Guy Mann posted:

The problem is that by the time they came out there really wasn't a demand for expensive stand-alone MP3 players anymore since smart phones were a thing.

The OG zune had a hell of a lot more space than my Crazr II AND it had better battery Life!

Also the Zune introduced me to podcasts

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

Good luck finding a smartphone with 30+GB storage in 2006

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I've been catching up to the most recent stuff and oh man that penguin murder episode was just something. Anyway I'd just like to mention that while I haven't noticed it much anymore, when they did ads and stuff for the mattresses and whatever back in the earlier episodes I liked that the dollop kept it all consolidated at the beginning. I mention this just because a podcast I liked to listen to recently changed so now only was there a huge block of ads before the podcast, but they took a mid-podcast break for more ads. It was disappointing.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Does anybody know where I can download the plagiarized episodes?

What was the deal with that anyway? Did they actually plagiarize someone or what?

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Yeah Dave was reading large chunks of some of the stories word for word from some website.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

tnimark posted:

Yeah Dave was reading large chunks of some of the stories word for word from some website.

That's funny because I just listened to an episode where Dave said Tarrantino is without value because his early films were plagiarized.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

So I've been catching up to the most recent stuff and oh man that penguin murder episode was just something. Anyway I'd just like to mention that while I haven't noticed it much anymore, when they did ads and stuff for the mattresses and whatever back in the earlier episodes I liked that the dollop kept it all consolidated at the beginning. I mention this just because a podcast I liked to listen to recently changed so now only was there a huge block of ads before the podcast, but they took a mid-podcast break for more ads.

Most podcasts are doing that now. It's a bummer that they're turning ads into tv commercials, but it's not like there's a lot of money in podcasts otherwise. The other pay models are selling subscription podcasts or having a patreon, neither one is proven to work unless you already have a large fan base.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

It's why most podcast apps let you mash fast forward to skip ahead 30 seconds a press.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

The only podcast ads I listen to are the ones on MBMBaM since they are usually still "on" as they read interpret the copy

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Forktoss posted:

MFM is alright and I've enjoyed the hosts' guest spots on Dollop, but my current go-to jokey murder podcast is The Last Podcast on the Left, which generally goes into much more detail with their subjects and seems to research stuff a good deal more. They also cover stuff like conspiracy theories and paranormal happenings, so it's not just murder every week if that isn't your thing.

Last podcast is my favorite podcast I'm scared to recommend. Henry is hilarious.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

ohrwurm posted:

The only podcast ads I listen to are the ones on MBMBaM since they are usually still "on" as they read interpret the copy

Hollywood Handbook also does good ads

this Black Panther Fred Hampton episode is bonkers and infuriating

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?

DrManiac posted:

Last podcast is my favorite podcast I'm scared to recommend. Henry is hilarious.

It's so incredibly frustrating to me, because when they're in Research Mode I'm spellbound. Then they go into Wacky Ethnic Voices that aren't really jokes and I get whiplash.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Crisco Kid posted:

It's so incredibly frustrating to me, because when they're in Research Mode I'm spellbound. Then they go into Wacky Ethnic Voices that aren't really jokes and I get whiplash.

Any time Henry starts overacting and being an awful racist caricature or being really childishly sexually gross, Last Podcast is the loving pits. I think he got the message and is trying to tone that down, though.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

rotinaj posted:

Most podcasts are doing that now. It's a bummer that they're turning ads into tv commercials, but it's not like there's a lot of money in podcasts otherwise. The other pay models are selling subscription podcasts or having a patreon, neither one is proven to work unless you already have a large fan base.

I get that they need to do it for money, which is why my complaint isn't, and will never be "they should stop doing ads". Like someone else said, MBMBAM has bearable ads, they come in at the same time every show and they don't stick out like a sore thumb. Meanwhile the specific podcast I was just listening to seems to have gone back and shoved in pre-recorded ad segments into their past episodes because after the beginning ad and before the mid-episode ad the hosts were talking about how they didn't do ads because no one paid them for ads and it just stood out really awkwardly and detracted from the whole podcast.

rotinaj posted:

Any time Henry starts overacting and being an awful racist caricature or being really childishly sexually gross, Last Podcast is the loving pits. I think he got the message and is trying to tone that down, though.

I will forever love Detective Popcorn though, that's one of the weird sidetracks I've always enjoyed when it pops up. My favorite episodes of theirs are when they do their long form ones on specific killers, those ones are always a trip.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Crisco Kid posted:

I've only listened to a few episodes but it seems pretty uneven. The Menendez Brothers was fun and interesting but I couldn't finish the first Son of Sam ep. loving awful.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I wanna be arrested for "mob action"

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Black Panther O'Neil is my favorite character.
He was ahead of his time

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Oh my god? O'Neil WAS the informant??? He didn't just want to be the cool rocket launcher guy?!?!?!?

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 25, 2016

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I've only listened to a few episodes but it seems pretty uneven. The Menendez Brothers was fun and interesting but I couldn't finish the first Son of Sam ep. loving awful.

Basically Henry is either somewhat funny or the absolute worst part of the show. Gary blows him out of the loving water as a comedian who does funny voices when making fun of this stuff. Zebrowski is either doing bad racist voices(See: Leonard Lake and Henry Ng or the Son of Sam eps) or he's going Chris Farley crazy and ends up gabbling and stammering a lot as his voice tries to catch up to his mouth.

The Dollop does this stuff way better, though if you're a Murderino who digs serial killers and stuff, you don't have a huge amount of options. Either you have My Favorite Murder, which lots of people can't stand because Women, amirite?, Last Podcast, see above, or Thinking Sideways, which ends up just deciding on the most boring conclusion.

Edit: And my friend who is listening to every Dollop in a row is gonna be bummed when he gets to this episode. The episodes about cops being awful and getting away with it always make him have a bummer time. Ah, the '60s and '70s. What a fun time.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

rotinaj posted:

The Dollop does this stuff way better, though if you're a Murderino who digs serial killers and stuff, you don't have a huge amount of options. Either you have My Favorite Murder, which lots of people can't stand because Women, amirite?.

I really, really hate it when people frame it like this and they always try to. I can't stand my favorite murder because it takes half the episode for the hosts to actually get on topic and even then they spend huge chunks of the remaining half digressing about inane poo poo like their parents and botox. The fact that they have voices like a cat in heat is something I could ignore if they didn't go out of their way to be as intentionally aggravating as possible while joking about "lol we're such bitches, am i rite?". It's not that they're women. It's that they're kind of lovely, annoying people but there's only really two or three options if you a weirdo fascinated by murderers.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nuebot posted:

I really, really hate it when people frame it like this and they always try to. I can't stand my favorite murder because it takes half the episode for the hosts to actually get on topic and even then they spend huge chunks of the remaining half digressing about inane poo poo like their parents and botox. The fact that they have voices like a cat in heat is something I could ignore if they didn't go out of their way to be as intentionally aggravating as possible while joking about "lol we're such bitches, am i rite?". It's not that they're women. It's that they're kind of lovely, annoying people but there's only really two or three options if you a weirdo fascinated by murderers.

Yeah, it's not sexist to say that you don't like My Favorite Murder because they take half the drat podcast before they get to the murder. And also they have bitchy screechy harridan voices and are intentionally taunting me specifically while acting like it's OK to play with my mind and emotions like that.

That's a perfectly normal thing for a non-sexist person to say, so lay off!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

their voices sound normal to me :shrug:

the only guest whose voice annoyed me in the entire dollop run was the first aussie one with Luke McGregor but only because he sounded like he was always mid-laugh the entire time

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i can't remember his name, but my favorite voice was the guy who had the creepy fake laugh

fake edit: i looked it up, rory scovel, who also played lewis carroll on the dead authors podcast

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

AriadneThread posted:

i can't remember his name, but my favorite voice was the guy who had the creepy fake laugh

fake edit: i looked it up, rory scovel, who also played lewis carroll on the dead authors podcast
HMMM I SEEM TO HAVE MISPLACED MY PACK OF WILD DOGS

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah, it's not sexist to say that you don't like My Favorite Murder because they take half the drat podcast before they get to the murder. And also they have bitchy screechy harridan voices and are intentionally taunting me specifically while acting like it's OK to play with my mind and emotions like that.

That's a perfectly normal thing for a non-sexist person to say, so lay off!

Even by the standards of people who are super into murder you are really creepy.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

I really, really hate it when people frame it like this and they always try to. I can't stand my favorite murder because it takes half the episode for the hosts to actually get on topic and even then they spend huge chunks of the remaining half digressing about inane poo poo like their parents and botox.

See, you're perfectly welcome to not like it. I was mostly trying to make with a joke on the comedy forums, and also leave a little gently caress you to the typical person who hates that podcast. And granted, they do digress for a while, but people tend to like it because it's funny. It's just that people who criticize the show always devolve into barely hidden misogynistic rants. But you seem ratio-

quote:

The fact that they have voices like a cat in heat is something I could ignore if they didn't go out of their way to be as intentionally aggravating as possible while joking about "lol we're such bitches, am i rite?". It's not that they're women. It's that they're kind of lovely, annoying people but there's only really two or three options if you a weirdo fascinated by murderers.

Ooooh. Almost got me.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I mean if you cant listen to someones voice because it sounds rear end in a top hat-ish just remember you're listening to a podcast by Dave Anthony

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Who is that one guy they've had as a guest a few times with a terrible nervous laugh? I don't like listening to that guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Guy Goodbody posted:

Who is that one guy they've had as a guest a few times with a terrible nervous laugh? I don't like listening to that guy
I forget the name, but I know exactly who you're talking about. It annoys the hell out of me too.

Also thanks for suggesting Last Podcast on the Left; I'm not into serial killer stuff, but conspiracy theories are extremely my jam, and the episodes I've listened to were hilarious and bizarre.