Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah, I finally understood the meaning when I was taking Latin in my freshman year of high school.

"Oh, poo poo, Locutus means Speaker!" :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

Yeah, I finally understood the meaning when I was taking Latin in my freshman year of high school.

Heh, one of my friends could not wait to tell me about it when he learned it. I'd already been to a Trek convention by then so I didn't want to ruin the moment for him.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah, i think a lot of this comes down to us just blithely accepting things when we're kids and then never questioning them as adults.

I recently realized that "turbolift" and "star date" are both ridiculous space words that would get laughed out of the scifi community these days while "sensor" and 'communicator" are vague and clunky and probably wouldn't be the words people used in on-the-job conversation. "Tricorder" is solid gold though and people saying "beam" instead of "transport" actually feels like how slang works.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Mokotow posted:

CBS seems to be backing the gently caress off from maintaining their own streaming service; they just announced a partnership with YouTube and their new TV-streaming thingy, having sold Star Trek right to Netflix. What a clusterfuck this'll all be 5 years down the line.

Now toss international rights on top of that clusterfuck. :canada:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Delsaber posted:

Now toss international rights on top of that clusterfuck. :canada:

Man we are going to get hosed so hard by this. Streaming rights on Discovery will probably go to something godawful like Spike or Space for us (does Space even exist anymore?) and it'll air on cable only.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Kazinsal posted:

Man we are going to get hosed so hard by this. Streaming rights on Discovery will probably go to something godawful like Spike or Space for us (does Space even exist anymore?) and it'll air on cable only.

Not Canadian but Bell Media got the broadcast rights in the great northern wastes. So yeah Space it is.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

This is the problem with post-First Contact Borg in a nutshell. They shouldn't have "commanders" or even communicate vocally. Even in Best of Both Worlds they had Locutus watching the attack on a viewscreen. I realize this was probably due to production limitations, but the Borg as a hivemind really went off the rails very quickly.

This was after they broke the link somehow (I guess it probably was Unimatrix Zero) so it's fine in that respect. It showed up to help Voyager.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I recently saw the ep where the Enterprise gang accidentally gave a Borg identity and free will. My dream followup would be a random episode recreating this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba2VaalmijM&t=159s

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Kibayasu posted:

This was after they broke the link somehow (I guess it probably was Unimatrix Zero) so it's fine in that respect. It showed up to help Voyager.

Yeah, someone else added that context in an earlier post too. Knee-jerk reaction on my part; my memories of Voyager are very fuzzy at this point. I watched most of seasons 1-5 and then spotty bits of 6 and 7, during first run, and I've never felt any inclination to revisit it.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

There was even a toy! I just saw this about a minute ago.

Your goatee distinctiveness will adapt to service us.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Timby posted:

It's just so goddamn classy I can only assume Picard came up with it when the collective was trying to think of a name designation. Or maybe he wasn't supposed to even have a designation and just started calling himself that to :chord: Riker.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I am Locutus of Borg

You
are
Borg

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cojawfee posted:

I am Locutus of Borg

You
are
Borg

MA MA MA MA MAKE IT SO.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Rhyno posted:

MA MA MA MA MAKE IT SO.

YOU'RE
NOT
FIT
TO
WEAR
THAT
UN-I-FORM

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Gonz posted:

YOU
DON'T
DESERVE
TO
WEAR
THAT
UN-I-FORM

*ahem* FTFY

anyway time to just keep talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt (it was really quite hypnotic)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
HERE'S
TO THE FINEST
CREW
INSTARFLEET

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Well gently caress, it really HAS been like, a dozen years since I heard that. Now I feel foolish.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

WeAreTheRomans posted:

*ahem* FTFY

anyway time to just keep talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt (it was really quite hypnotic)

This is becoming a speech...

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

The Dark One posted:

This is becoming a speech...
You're the captain, sir. You're entitled.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Duckbag posted:

Yeah, i think a lot of this comes down to us just blithely accepting things when we're kids and then never questioning them as adults.

I recently realized that "turbolift" and "star date" are both ridiculous space words that would get laughed out of the scifi community these days while "sensor" and 'communicator" are vague and clunky and probably wouldn't be the words people used in on-the-job conversation. "Tricorder" is solid gold though and people saying "beam" instead of "transport" actually feels like how slang works.
Turbolift was weird. Star date felt like an actual technical thing, presumably the Federation universal time codes as opposed to other crap. Obviously you have to do something to allow for, for instance, DS9 being on a 26-hour schedule not indirectly loving O'Brien out of time in grade.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Were days of the week still a thing in Star Trek? I know they had Tuesday Night Poker but you never really hear anyone else reference them

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Cat Machine posted:

Were days of the week still a thing in Star Trek? I know they had Tuesday Night Poker but you never really hear anyone else reference them

Yeah, the spergs from that office of temporal affairs or whatever in "Trials and Tribble-ations" knew that the whole Tribble incident from TOS occurred on a Friday.

I imagine days of the week are used informally, kinda like how the US uses Standard for some measurements and Metric for others.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It's always felt weird to me that the transporter isn't called a teleporter.

Cat Machine posted:

Simple: No one knows what Tuesday really means anymore, Tuesday Night Poker is just what that's called now.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Everyone in that poker klatche was either an Earthican or a killer robot anyway.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
I always tought Locutus was a pun on locust because of the whole hive/insectoid theme in the borg idk guys :shrug:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Frionnel posted:

I always tought Locutus was a pun on locust because of the whole hive/insectoid theme in the borg idk guys :shrug:

It's Latin for "spoken"

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Current Next Gen status:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

As long as I get Discovery on Netflix here in the US I don't care what CBS does

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
I finished TNG a couple weeks ago and am now around here on DS9: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiZ_2_bamh8&t=94s

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Pwnstar posted:

Current Next Gen status:

That image made me remember this:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
If I ever got time to chat with a DS9 writer, I'd ask them if there had been an argument over whether O'Brien and Kira should have actually hooked up and destroyed his marriage.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah I feel like there was definitely some ambivalence in the writers room about the O'Brien's marriage. The first married couple in Star Trek and yet their relationship is pretty much one continuous rough patch from Data's Day on. Sure a lot of that is Trek writers being awful at (writing) romance, but it really feels like there's more going on. I sort of wonder if by the middle of DS9 they weren't kicking themselves for sticking O'Brien in this no-chemistry relationship (and making it so they couldn't hook him up with girls-of-the-week) and kind of leaned into Keiko's status as an emotionally oblivious scold. Maybe one or more of the writers were going through a rough patch of their own.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Any of you guys been watching Westworld? As a video game afficianado (please kill me for writing those words in that sequence) that show sends shivers down my spine.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FlamingLiberal posted:

As long as I get Discovery on Netflix here in the US I don't care what CBS does

Well...you aren't.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Arglebargle III posted:

Any of you guys been watching Westworld?

Westworld is loving fantastic. If you're not watching it, you should be. So far it's the best science fiction I've seen on television, ever.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So I did a thing today.

I posted here once before about how I was watching ENT for the first time. Like the rest of the loving Planet, I hate that theme music. But I like the visuals.

I decided as a challenge to try to improve on it while keeping it as close to the original as possible, so I found an orchestral arrangement of the song and re-edited it to fit the open.

It's no Game of Thrones but I think it's a marked improvement.
https://youtu.be/MzqxJkz2qhQ

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I think the trouble is that even wordless it sounds like some 80s sitcom intro music.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

macnbc posted:

So I did a thing today.

I posted here once before about how I was watching ENT for the first time. Like the rest of the loving Planet, I hate that theme music. But I like the visuals.

I decided as a challenge to try to improve on it while keeping it as close to the original as possible, so I found an orchestral arrangement of the song and re-edited it to fit the open.

It's no Game of Thrones but I think it's a marked improvement.
https://youtu.be/MzqxJkz2qhQ

Good, I like it

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Good, I like it

This sounds more like a Christmas coffee commercial featuring Santa in the 80's.

Peak Bakula.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Zurui posted:

Westworld is loving fantastic. If you're not watching it, you should be. So far it's the best science fiction I've seen on television, ever.

Yeah it's P good. Video games and buddhism have always been a good match but adding in blade runner and jaded skyrim PCs is a new sort of thing. And it pulls it off without effort.

A friend told me she didn't know about watching it because it was violent and misogynistic. It's like yeah, makes you question whether it's right to bring new life into a world of corrupt power and pointless suffering. HMMMMM