Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Home improvement. wow.

Yeah, I'm not binging this season it seems, this first episode is a downer. Good, but yeah. I might watch the second episode later tonight, have a break for a few hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Nosedive is weirdly cathartic and liberating :unsmith:

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

We Know Catheters posted:

Half way through the first episode and already depressed.

Oh god, this is loving amazing.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

gently caress :(

edit - gently caress YOU :)

BSam fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Oct 21, 2016

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I was surprised that the first episode of season 3 wasn't a bad ending for all characters for once.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Playtest was pretty hosed up, in a good way I guess.

Russian doll of the dude's conscience loving with him was pretty clever.

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong

Rarity posted:

Nosedive is weirdly cathartic and liberating :unsmith:
gently caress YOU :unsmith:

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

episode 2 playtest what the loving gently caress. this is hosed

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Season 4 news:
Jodie foster to direct an episode. Product to start soon for a 2017 release.
http://www.indiewire.com/2016/10/jodie-foster-direct-rosemarie-dewitt-black-mirror-season-4-episode-1201738300/

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Playtest

I felt like this was a bit of a ho hum episode which didn't really have much to say. It was like White Bear if it hadn't had the twist.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
This show is causing my mental breakdown.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I'm gonna check myself in to a mental hospital

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Nosedive was loving horrible at the beginning. I'm genuinely surprised I felt as non-depressed as I did at the end, as the entire set up with the ratings system was really painful and hard to watch

Shut up and dance NOPE :allbuttons:

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Zenithe posted:

Shut up and dance NOPE :allbuttons:

gently caress :(

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahahaha Shut Up and Dance will break you all

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Shut Up and Dance

Stop this world I want to get off :f5h::gonk:

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Nosedive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7WYFLlxGbA

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I'm hosed up when a series uses my name p

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

It fuckin did n all :(

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Shut up junipero is good

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
San Junipero

That was heartachingly beautiful

Humans are all right :unsmith:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My main issue with San Junipero is that it makes a really strong argument for why she chooses not to live there forever, with all the stuff about her dead husband, but then she just does anyway? With nothing shown to change her mind, she just isn't doing it and then is yay the end?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

well they've all been great, i'm leaving the last one, the movie length one, til tomorrow as i'm tired

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Men Catching Fire is the bleakest interpretation of the future this show's ever done, Jesus.

Humans are terrible :smith:

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006
Between this and House of Cards Michael Kelly is in a hurry to replace Tim Curry as the avatar of my nightmares.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Escobarbarian posted:

:stare:I just remembered a certain interaction the main character had at the very beginning :catstare: gently caress this episode.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Escobarbarian posted:

My main issue with San Junipero is that it makes a really strong argument for why she chooses not to live there forever, with all the stuff about her dead husband, but then she just does anyway? With nothing shown to change her mind, she just isn't doing it and then is yay the end?

It's not really any different to widows swearing they'll never love anyone again after their spouse dies and then meeting somebody new. I thought it was a very common story just displayed through sci-fi technology.

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006

Rarity posted:

It's not really any different to widows swearing they'll never love anyone again after their spouse dies and then meeting somebody new. I thought it was a very common story just displayed through sci-fi technology.

It's pretty different with the loss of the child thrown in.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

Blah blah blah

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well just watched Nosedive and so far, definitely feels like Black Mirror. The usual implications of the setting slowly getting more and more disturbing the more I think about it after the end of an episode are back in full force, and that was always part of why I felt it was so effective.

I am not going to binge through this, but I sort of want to. Feels like it would be a Bad Idea though. I can't have six separate horrifying scenarios bumbling around my head at once.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Hated in the Nation

What if bees BUT TOO MUCH :derp:

This is just silly

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
I started on Men Against Fire and now I can't sleep :(

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

McDragon posted:

Well just watched Nosedive and so far, definitely feels like Black Mirror. The usual implications of the setting slowly getting more and more disturbing the more I think about it after the end of an episode are back in full force, and that was always part of why I felt it was so effective.

I am not going to binge through this, but I sort of want to. Feels like it would be a Bad Idea though. I can't have six separate horrifying scenarios bumbling around my head at once.

:same:

My boyfriend and I woke up in the middle of the night and I said "ooh new black mirror came out let's watch some of those" and after eps 3 and 5 (chosen at random) I kind of feel like I'm done for at least a few hours

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
3x01 - I'm only halfway through but I was really glad they didn't have some "2.5 means death penalty" thing in it.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Zenithe posted:

:stare:I just remembered a certain interaction the main character had at the very beginning :catstare: gently caress this episode.

Jesus christ.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
All done, these are my thoughts in order of best to worst:

1. San Junipero - An absolutely wonderful story where humans are not dicks and technology makes us better. The slow build up to the 'it's VR' reveal was interlaced well with the story to the point where it was even expected but the setup hooks just made it more interesting. And yay for an LGBT story :toot:
2. Shut Up and Dance - Oh man, the last 5-10 minutes are absolutely killer and completely turn the episode around (very similar to White Bear in that regard). The 'he's into kids' reveal was so well done because the whole way through I was thinking that this dude was freaking out a bit too much for just getting caught jerking off. Sidebar: mad props to casting the character as a teen cause they hit the perfect age where I thought he was freaking out too much but just wrote it off as him being a teenager. And then the trollface at the end makes the whole thing perfect. Internet people are assholes is a message we should all remember.
3. Men Catching Fire - In terms of message this one was the weightiest of all. As I said earlier I think it's the bleakest future Brooker's shown us. It not just because it extrapolates on very real ideas of the military desensitising their soldiers to violence and the horror of taking that to the extreme. No, what really got me was how it widened the scope to a societal level where as a species we're pushing out all these traits that have been decided to be 'undesirable' and how everybody is ok with that. gently caress, it's depressing how that feels like a realistic interpretation of our future.
4. Nosedive - This one felt very much Black Mirror by the numbers but the way it diverted to an uplifting ending was both unexpected and lovely.
5. Hated In The Nation - There's a very good point for this show to make about online bullying and the way the anonymity of the internet has disconnected us from culpability for what we say. However, this episode came nowhere close to making it. Hinging everything on KILLER ROBOT BEES!! was a terrible idea that undermines the message in the script and turns it into a goofy episode of Doctor Who.
6. Playtest - This episode has nothing to say. It's the literal embodiment of the thread's meme "what if video games but too much"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Zenithe posted:

Oh god gently caress everything

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006

ymgve posted:

3x01 - I'm only halfway through but I was really glad they didn't have some "2.5 means death penalty" thing in it.

Also there was that happy sub-2 trucker. I read something about them adding nuggets of hope in the heaps of despair because it's 6 episodes this time. Otherwise the post-binge suicides would probably cut into Netflix's revenue.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Nosedive was pretty great, off to a good start.

Early on I was kinda split between whether I wanted her to rise to the very top and see how much it sucks to stay there, or sink down to the bottom in spectacular fashion. In the end I enjoyed what we got, and it was simultaneously depressing and satisfying. I would still kinda like to see more of what it's like clawing to stay 4.7+ but I guess we got enough of that with Naomi.

Okay this 5 minute break has been enough, on to the next one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Nosedive was pretty great, off to a good start.

Early on I was kinda split between whether I wanted her to rise to the very top and see how much it sucks to stay there, or sink down to the bottom in spectacular fashion.

I mean, the title kinda gives it away